Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

Though as much as I would like more/improved optimization with Arma 2, i cannot agree more with H3NRY. At about 700m or so, infantry's legs morph into the ground and sometimes most of their body at extreme distances and when prone they disappear. When prone in grass maybe the upper torso could be visible as the soldier is above the grass aiming and out of the grass layer. Just a suggestion.

Well, I thought a bit about H3NRYs' comment, and yours Mr. X. I don't know about you guys, but I have trouble seeing stationary camoed infantry in ANY foliage, even if it's 50-100m away. This is the first game I know of where the uniforms work without graphic trickery. I would not have a chance but to see the muzzle flash as they fired from longer range... Or are you speaking of looking at them through binocs? It would be odd to zoom in on someone and have them completely obscured by solid green.

When prone in grass maybe the upper torso could be visible as the soldier is above the grass aiming and out of the grass layer.

Remember that there are different heights of the grass on Chernarus so if they lay prone in high dense grass it makes sense for them to be mostly hidden IMO.

Also, I haven't tried playing with grass turned off since I prefer to play with TerrainDetail at max but understand that not all can due to their HW.

/KC

Well, I thought a bit about H3NRYs' comment, and yours Mr. X. I don't know about you guys, but I have trouble seeing stationary camoed infantry in ANY foliage, even if it's 50-100m away. This is the first game I know of where the uniforms work without graphic trickery. I would not have a chance but to see the muzzle flash as they fired from longer range... Or are you speaking of looking at them through binocs? It would be odd to zoom in on someone and have them completely obscured by solid green.

At longer range you don't have the foliage in the way - it only exists for a fairly short distance even at the highest setting. Beyond that you just have a bare terrain texture, and previous to the 'grass layer' that's appeared in the beta patches, infantry would be on top of it and very easily seen -- the high-detailed model & texture contrasts sharply with the low-detail terrain at that distance.

The result is it's actually easier to see targets that are far away (beyond the draw distance of the ground clutter, i.e. small bushes and grass etc.) than close by. When they're close, I agree - the effect is great. Ideally the same level of detail would be drawn everywhere, but I guess that's not realistic.

@BIS - if it's easy to do, it would be nice to have a way for players to adjust the draw distance of ground clutter, even if it's not exposed in the GUI. Might give some interesting results about what our PCs can actually cope with. i.e. to allow us to set it further than the current maximum.

Edited by some kind of guy

I just played Harvest Red, first mission and noticed when viewing the stars with NVG, they are not oversized golf balls anymore... does anyone noticed it?

@BIS - if it's easy to do, it would be nice to have a way for players to adjust the draw distance of ground clutter, even if it's not exposed in the GUI. Might give some interesting results about what our PCs can actually cope with.

Look for Terrain Detail in the video options.

I think he means more direct control, i.e. set whatever value you want. I'd like to see what performance is like with clutter drawn at 1 or 2 km. :D

In the german versions there is since a few Betas quite an irritating error for anyone launching a game for multiplaying:

The menue says "lock" ("Sperren") where it should say "unlock" ("Entsperren") and vice versa!

Yep sorry, I meant to allow us to set it further than it draws it with the maximum terrain detail setting. I have it set to maximum already and it runs fine, but it still only draws the clutter for 100m or so.

What bis needs to do is to make it possible for us to raise the viewdistance for trees..

What bis needs to do is to make it possible for us to raise the viewdistance for trees..

I think it would be a hell of a lot easier to fix object pop-in by lowering the fog render distance (as a proportion of total view distance) rather than tweaking the render distance of individual classes or object types.

I just played Harvest Red, first mission and noticed when viewing the stars with NVG, they are not oversized golf balls anymore... does anyone noticed it?

just tested and definitely noticed they were smaller. Thanks again BIS!

:rolleyes:

I noticed this yesterday playing the latest beta, first time trying any betas.

another welcome change!

my biggest surprise with the beta was how well Chernogorsk loads :459:

There is also still a very strange looking bug, when you turn on fog at least at night (ground turns into sky, LOL). Try flying few rounds around with a plane, you´ll see what I mean.

new beta patch (Build_60295) is released

Changelog:

[60260] Fixed: AI soldiers moving in Safe/Aware could sometimes be stuck near a bush or other objects.

[60234] New: Scripting function enableAIFeature to disable new AI features when old behaviour is required.

[60220] Improved: AI covering units tend to stay close to each other.

[60155] Fixed: MultiPlayer client crash caused by certain custom sound

Any comments on 60295 yet?

Hopefully this build fixes the laggy/performance issues introduced in 60141. Mouse y-axis is also still stuttering, visible when just moving mouse up and down.

Edited by zeep

i hope tweaking AI performance will eventually lead to increased game performance, i'm still having problems with slow texture load, windows/trees/bushes/foliage popping up and disappearing/appearing.

Sounds very good that AI stucks now less. Things like that were bad for mission creating. I have noticed that AI leaders with pistols (especially snipers) may stuck anywhere (when swithing to pistol) but not sure if they have already fixed it.

im currently playing zonekillers mission with the new beta and can report that there is a new flare system for aircraft and helicopter.... im not using anyother flare addons or either is the server.

can i get another tester of this please

I was just thinking BIS was overdue for the next beta to test. ;) :D

Oh, and if there's a new a/c flare system, that would ROCK!

im currently playing zonekillers mission with the new beta and can report that there is a new flare system for aircraft and helicopter.... im not using anyother flare addons or either is the server.

can i get another tester of this please

Flares and countermeasures can be scripted by mission makers without any addons. the latest Warfare BE missions have such scripts. So it might be just the Mission.

[60234] New: Scripting function enableAIFeature to disable new AI features when old behaviour is required.

So, whats this about? Anyone care to elaborate? What new AI features overwrite what old behaviour exactly? Is it like a forced FSM-fallback?

Suma made a new thread about it ruebe.