Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

New in the CL:

[60260] Formation direction now adjusts to human leader watched direction, not a movement direction.

I wonder if this is a good idea?

If, as a group leader, i rotate right / left my squaddies are supposed to rotate as well ? Hmm ...

I wonder if this is a good idea?

If, as a group leader, i rotate right / left my squaddies are supposed to rotate as well ? Hmm ...

The formation never updates when leader is not moving. When leader is moving, it updates not to the movement direction, as before, but to the watched direction. This way when you are side stepping or back stepping, the formation is still updated (or kept) to your forward direction.

If unsure, try it and check if you like what you see. It is sometimes hard to keep changelogs accurate and brief at the same time.

hmmm 60309 is allready out, don't see any difference in the log between 308 and 309

we forgot to add server exe in 60308.

I tried refreshing the changelog 60309.log link just now but it just says:

[60260]  Fixed: AI soldiers moving in Safe/Aware could sometimes be stuck near a bush or other objects. 
  [60260]  Formation direction now adjusts to human leader watched direction, not a movement direction. 
  [60234]  New: Scripting function enableAIFeature to disable new AI features when old behaviour is required. 

Could you guys please update the .log file in the server.

I tried refreshing the changelog 60309.log link just now but it just says:

[60260]  Fixed: AI soldiers moving in Safe/Aware could sometimes be stuck near a bush or other objects. 
  [60260]  Formation direction now adjusts to human leader watched direction, not a movement direction. 
  [60234]  New: Scripting function enableAIFeature to disable new AI features when old behaviour is required. 

Could you guys please update the .log file in the server.

This is as intended. The only change in 60308/60309 against 60295 is the fixed crash caused by previous beta. We never put fixes of the issues which were not present in the stable versions into the change-log.

Certainly makes sense to me :)

Cheers

The formation never updates when leader is not moving. When leader is moving, it updates not to the movement direction, as before, but to the watched direction. This way when you are side stepping or back stepping, the formation is still updated (or kept) to your forward direction.

If unsure, try it and check if you like what you see. It is sometimes hard to keep changelogs accurate and brief at the same time.

Ok, that's fine to me.

Thx.

I noticed this no longer works

[group this,getPos this,150] call bis_fnc_taskPatrol;

May happened in earlier build too, can anyone else confirm?

I noticed this no longer works

May happened in earlier build too, can anyone else confirm?

It works fine in 60141, don't you have to give functions a little time to start?

I think you need

waituntil {BIS_fnc_init};

placed in init.sqf

@F2k_sel

Maybe so, I ran another test and with mods and it worked... so I took a guess that CBA is needed and I just remove CBA from launcher and ran it. And it didnt work... So I guess CBA is needed. or rather maybe CBA already have the "waituntil" line so that it will work...

Will try without mods and have the waituntil thingie in placed

[edit]

gave a quick try and it didnt work. Maybe I just do it wrongly... So I just play with CBA loaded instead... atleast it will confirm that taskPatrol will worked

Edited by Mr_Centipede

I'm not on my game pc so the waituntil thing may not work, I usually struggle myself with that one as it keeps giving me errors.

I do know if you place

in an Init it won't work but if you place it on a move a few meters away when they get there they will form up and go on patrol in 60141 at least. I used it last night.

Was the new formation system disabled in the latest 60309 patch? My #2 guy on the right will again switch to the left side if I start going backwards. I tried the broken 60295, and here he will stay on the right as the log says, as it should be based on facing direction.

I'm suspecting/hoping that 308/309 was issued as an "emergency beta" to have a stable beta "everyone" can use, and that a later beta will have the feature implemented without the vehicle issues.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Was the new formation system disabled in the latest 60309 patch? My #2 guy on the right will again switch to the left side if I start going backwards. I tried the broken 60295, and here he will stay on the right as the log says, as it should be based on facing direction.

Thanks for testing and reporting. It was not disabled, it was actually broken. Will be fixed in 60323.

Edited by Suma

This next suggestion is for purely cosmetic reasons only. Recently I've been making some new weapon holding animations and as sniperwolf572 pointed out to me in the post 1.04 betas these new hand positions are now maintained when a unit does other animations such as running etc while holding this weapon

This looks fine when the weapon is lowered (pic. 1) or the player is running etc

wrist_wep_lowered.jpg

pic1

but when the player is sprinting it can result in some weird warping to the player skeleton (pic. 2).

wrist_sprinting.jpg

pic2

I've tried for some time to improve the look of these new animations but I think it is ultimately related to the bone structure of the arm and forcing the hand into an "incorrect" position while sprinting.

Therefore, I was wondering whether it was possible to make the units use the standard hand positions (ie. with the left hand under the barrel) when only doing the sprint animations (as in the 1.04 build) as the other animations are fine.

Edited by norrin

I've only had time to toss together some quick engagements lately, but I try to pay attention to the little things. One thing I noticed that others have mentioned is how a single vehicle drives on the road quite well, but a convoy is still having issues.

I was wondering if the occasional oversteer of the lead vehicle throws off the following vehicles because they are trying to keep formation? Is there a way in Safe and unengaged Aware that the formation means little except for distance? Something like that?

I've only had time to toss together some quick engagements lately, but I try to pay attention to the little things. One thing I noticed that others have mentioned is how a single vehicle drives on the road quite well, but a convoy is still having issues.

I was wondering if the occasional oversteer of the lead vehicle throws off the following vehicles because they are trying to keep formation? Is there a way in Safe and unengaged Aware that the formation means little except for distance? Something like that?

Yeah convoy missions = impossible atm because of the shoddy driving :/

we forgot to add server exe in 60308.

[59279]  Fixed: FPS on Dedicated server is not affected by server window manipulation (such as move or scroll). 

This is the only change listed for beta server.exe.

Are there any other changes in the server.exe that would improve performance should we use it?

Our server.exe running as a service thus this is not applicable atm.

Also can does the beta server have any dependency on the beta files ...ie can we use it without -mod=beta ?

Thanks

Edited by Cross

This is not a general get-my-favourite-issue-sorted thread, to treat it as such is to dilute its usefulness for its intended purpose; providing feedback on the changes presented in the patch betas. If it gets flooded with extraneous rubbish the developers will simply stop reading it.

Yeah convoy missions = impossible atm because of the shoddy driving :/

When you potentially have the ear of the developers I for one would appreciate it if you'd refrain from applying derogatory terms like 'shoddy' to their work.

We're very lucky to have this kind of access, it's rare, please post with that in mind.

CG: We have seen many things go lost in the betas. Im guessing it is because they work on those parts? Like what you mentioned and laser dot, SOM module features (UAV & Arty Laser). They all more or less stopped working.

I also seen complaints on memory leaks. Playing over time will load textures slower. To me it seems with the latest beta's that even model LOD's load slower after a while. Watched a Cobra last night after some hour of play and it had the far away LOD even when it flew close to me. Kept looking at it but it never changed. Dont know if that is the same type of problem however.

Maybe it will all be wrapped up good in 1.05.

Confirmed that the laser artillery doesn't work anymore, it will hit the reference point instead. I verified that the laser point was still in the scene by setting up this in a true trigger:

xxx = [] spawn {while {true} do{sleep 0.123; tlist = (getPos player) nearEntities 50; hintSilent format ["%1",tlist]}}

Iirc the SOFLAM operates in IR, so it shouldn't be visible without NVGs anyway. However, it is invisible even then. Only visual indication you get is by turning on weapon crosshairs, which for us is not acceptable. Hopefully this will be fixed, and the full 1.05 patch will have a working texture based on/off indicator on it instead.

Oh, a while {true} loop without delays which is using hint instead of hintSilent may freeze the game and leave you deaf for a while, if you're playing at really loud volumes :D

Edit: AI convoys seem to work great for me, as long as they don't run into enemies. Then all hell breaks loose and you might have to resetup everything via scripts (which I'm too lazy for). Give them room and time to "get organized", and you can move them through cities (I've tried Elektrozavodsk with trucks and HMMWVs) as long as you use limited speed and forceSpeed. Also, convoys and vehicle AI doesn't appear to "see" road obstacles, such as a "surprise roadblock" placed in the editor or via scripts.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

hehe

Maybe they're testing GPS guided munitions. :D Use the designator to mark a specific, stationary, point, then move on to the next!

Seriously, though, hope they get this and the SOM UAV working. It was manageable up to about 3 betas ago, but now doesn't seem to work at all.

Also, the SOM on-call close air support seems porked, too. I don't think it shows up anymore?

New one Beta _60393

Changelog: [60323] Changed: Formation direction now adjusts to human leader body direction, not a movement direction.
Edited by neokika