Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

I normally don't have crashes to desktop in ARMA2 but 60295 has ctd-ed about 6 times in 45 minutes.

One time in the menu changing mouse settings, a few times doing nothing particular in game, just running around, and once when riding a bike. Tested multiplay and singleplay. No savegames used, just fresh starts.

I've uninstalled and reverted to 60091 and it's smooth sailing again. Tried the exact same single- & multiplayer missions as with 60295 (+ same online server), no crashes.

Normally the beta's are very stable but 60295 is not.

xp sp2 - 3 gb - 9600GT - Intel core2 quad q9650

Edited by zeep

Sounds very good that AI stucks now less. Things like that were bad for mission creating. I have noticed that AI leaders with pistols (especially snipers) may stuck anywhere (when swithing to pistol) but not sure if they have already fixed it.

ah, I thought I was the only one with the problem. I was trying to find out if it's related to an addon.

What I have sometimes is that units just get stuck in the middle of the grass, completely open space. They don't stand up/crouch/go prone, the don't move, they only say yes, and that's it. Their only movement is turning around. Very irritating.

I noticed that that changes when I call switchMove "", as if they were stuck in an animation. So I added a command to the action menu to unstuck them.

It seems they have reduced the spotting distance of the ai. It's now less than 150m. (Tested on Utes with two standing enemy groups). Hope they undo this. The agressive ai behavior in 60141 was much better. Two standing enemies should recognize each other at a minimum of 250m.

It seems they have reduced the spotting distance of the ai. It's now less than 150m. (Tested on Utes with two standing enemy groups). Hope they undo this. The agressive ai behavior in 60141 was much better. Two standing enemies should recognize each other at a minimum of 250m.

which difficulty settings you tested it on?

Can confirm this -way too low. I placed both my small group and an enemy small group on the runway of Utes, facing each other at a couple hundred yards out. Kept walking towards them with no one either firing or calling out although we (I) could see each other as plain as day. Finally opened up after about a 15 second walk straight towards them.

Edit- Ok, it I rolled back to the previous Beta and the result was the same. I guess I've been using AI mods for so long that I hadn't noticed these ridiculously short engagement distances. With Zeus Mod, they open fire immediately. Please change this BI, they are basically only able to spot 1 1/2 the size of the straightaway of a running track in broad daylight/flat ground!

Edited by froggyluv

New build 60295

This is crashing to desktop after few minutes play.

No addons.

NEVER had any CTD before with any version.

System:

XP 32

Q6600 (stock)

GTX285 (driver 191.07)

What about extending the tracking and attacking/firing range of units without scopes up to 600m and with scopes up to 1000m? Of course they should not kill their targets with the first bullet(s) - maybe use/implement a proper working rank+skill dependency?

I can confirm the CTDs, happened twice in Cipher, just as I started off on my motorbike after gearing up at the start.

Suma made a new thread about it ruebe.

Ah, thanks. (over here in case anyone is looking for it).

I really like what I've seen so far in a few short test scenarios (good crossfire/support and also they seem to secure buildings/courtyard pretty good), though I have to play and watch a bit more to be able to answer the poll over there.

I can confirm the CTDs, happened twice in Cipher, just as I started off on my motorbike after gearing up at the start.

Same as one of my ctd's.

Spotting distance lowered? Argh sounds annoying. Will test for the sake of the formation thing however, and for the CTD issue.

***It's good the more people testing this beta and report CTD or NO CTD. This will give BIS knowledge about what hardware are CTD'ing with their new update of the engine.

So test and report! :)

PS. And if you have a game tonight - rollback to 60141 for that game. No problems.

I normally don't have crashes to desktop in ARMA2 but 60295 has ctd-ed about 6 times in 45 minutes.

One time in the menu changing mouse settings, a few times doing nothing particular in game, just running around, and once when riding a bike. Tested multiplay and singleplay. No savegames used, just fresh starts.

I've uninstalled and reverted to 60091 and it's smooth sailing again. Tried the exact same single- & multiplayer missions as with 60295 (+ same online server), no crashes.

Normally the beta's are very stable but 60295 is not.

xp sp2 - 3 gb - 9600GT - Intel core2 quad q9650

Just played for an hour without any CTD's. Custom mission with quite a few units on map.

Let me know if there's any specific situation you want me to test.

XP 32Bit SP2. Core i7 920 + GTX285

Damn the AI is amazing! :) In VETERAN they engage by themselves at 500 meters. The situation was that i had another squad walking a bit from me (all AI squad) and i just spot some enemies lurking in a forest edge (in the forest). The AI squad all by themselves shouted out and started blasting, and the eAI returned fire. So i cant see the "short engagement range" some say. So far at least.

And the AI that i command works much better now as well. No matter if i stand on a slope the AI will form on me when i tell them to. :)

However i noticed the SOM got a bug now. Calling LASER MUNITION SHELL will have them say that i should lase my target, and after that - nothing. Will test more and report over at DH. I tested many times as i needed to take down a vehicle. Didnt work no matter how i tried.

EDIT: (REPORTED at DevHeaven) Found the problem with the LASER ARTY. Before it was all automatic. You called it and they acknowlege that you made the call. Then they told you to paint your target (you switch your laser on). Then you said that you are lasing the target, and then the shells came.

Now you have to call it in. And then you have to scroll the menu again like with transport when you have to click WHERE it should go. Click on the target and they will reply its coming. This resulted in a miss. As i can not even see my laser dot made by the laser designator.

So something is wrong with the LD and SOM laser arty.

Edited by Alex72

BIS, I hate you... In a fantastic way ;). I had a few minutes and tried a quick pickup mission with the '295. I was hard pressed from the beginning. Enemy (and my AI) were hiding behind EVERYTHING! Stacked up, covering, behind trees, walls, suppressing, flanking, all moving from one to another better than ever! So much so that I died running from, across, and into suppressing/cover fire. Fantastic :D My guys ranged a bit from the group, 25-30m, no more, to engage enemies. My AI leader took the formation back ~100M to go around enemy. My AT guy fell back to open the range to engage. Strange occurrences, but beneficial to the team. For the first time I feel like I fought WITH them, not AROUND them.

Just a few problems or changes I noted:

1st- I got hit and someone was detailed to fix me up. I saw the blue blip on screen showing me who it was. Someone different (a medic?) came and patched me up. I engaged the enemy again, all better, and the unit that was ordered to heal me finally got over to me, flipped me on my back, and proceeded to fix what wasn't broken. Odd.

2nd, I noticed I could not roll over to defend myself while injured as I could before.

Other than that, very impressive!

Just tried 60295 and I coldn't notice any real difference in AI engagement ranges from previous 60141 beta. I tested a couple of times and they did engage me and other AI team mates well over 300+ m, one time enemy AI took fire positions on a ridge 450-500 m away. I haven't tested the detection range without battle going on (i.e placing 2 enemies infront of each other) but will later this weekend. What settings are you testing at?

No CTD's for me but I only have ~45 min testing 60295 in simple SP tests so far so that may change...

Windows XP Pro SP2 (32-Bit) - 2 GB RAM - C2D E6850 - GTX 260 (191.07 WHQL)

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Damn the AI is amazing! :) In VETERAN they engage by themselves at 500 meters. .

How is it that they're engaging at 500m for you and under 200m for myself and others :confused:

I was also using Vet level with no config changes and no mods running and they simply didn't see each other at under 200m on a sunny bright day, standing tall in the middle of the runway. I'd post a vid, but i don't really want to advertise bad press while its still clearly W.I.P

Please try my setup and let me know if they still engage with no other fighting going on.

Any news on the release date for the next patch? Or should I just go ahead and try the beta anyway?

Any news on the release date for the next patch? Or should I just go ahead and try the beta anyway?

Try the Beta(s) -there easy to enable/disable and the more feedback we can get to the Dev's -the better :)

nothing has been said on release date. theres no harm in trying the beta anyway, and its only 40mb...

The Problem is that there is a difference between spotting a moving and a standing target. While moving the enemy is spottet at middle ranges - nice so far. Whithout any movement the ai can't spot enemies at ranges larger than 150m.

Just a few problems or changes I noted:

1st- I got hit and someone was detailed to fix me up. I saw the blue blip on screen showing me who it was. Someone different (a medic?) came and patched me up. I engaged the enemy again, all better, and the unit that was ordered to heal me finally got over to me, flipped me on my back, and proceeded to fix what wasn't broken. Odd.

2nd, I noticed I could not roll over to defend myself while injured as I could before.

Other than that, very impressive!

If you're critically wounded (where your screen turns red and you cant stand up) then anyone can give you first aid to stop the bleeding; but they CAN'T fully heal you, only the medic can. So my guess is that a regular AI soldier came over to stop the bleeding, then the medic finally made it over to heal you to full strength.

As for you second question, not sure but I don't ever remember being able to roll when critically wounded...but I don't remember trying either lol

First of all, good job on the AI, I have a little test mission (4 opposing squads trying to take a village) and the AI maneuvering is really good.

I noticed the first time that a BMP3 I put in the mission used its cannon quite liberally against infantry, which is good.

On the negative side AI still seems next to never use grenades or M203 (actually they dont seem to use the latter at all).

Other than that, fine patch.

Oh, and not a single CTD here so far.

First of all, good job on the AI, I have a little test mission (4 opposing squads trying to take a village) and the AI maneuvering is really good.

I noticed the first time that a BMP3 I put in the mission used its cannon quite liberally against infantry, which is good.

On the negative side AI still seems next to never use grenades or M203 (actually they dont seem to use the latter at all).

Other than that, fine patch.

Oh, and not a single CTD here so far.

Actually they lobbed quite a few at me tonight usually the don't.

I've just been testing and the AI is much better than it previously was. I haven't tested engagement distance much, but the AI moves more purposely than before. The pilot AI is much better as well. There's no more "wobbly wings" when the AI is flying (still need to test auto-landing though). Go into the editor and put down a Tunguska and a few A-10's. Once they strafe it, watch them cooly soar overhead without wagging their wings.

On the downside, the game has lower FPS than previous builds and is very stuttery. It stuttered once for over 5 seconds, so I can see how it could easily CTD. That said, I've had it on for about 2 hours with no crashes. It is to be expected that FPS will vary in beta versions, and I'm sure BIS will address the issue.

EDIT: Playing on 2007 iMac (2.4Ghz dual core Intel, ATI Radeon 2600HD, 4Mb RAM) lots of mods.

EDIT 2: Tested landings using A-10 - much less wagging on wings

Tested engagement distance: If I am part of a unit and spot an enemy force, my units will engage at up to 500m away. The opposing unit will then return fire. (Haven't tested any further away - presume this is based on whether I can sight and identify an enemy).

If I put a BLUFOR and OPFOR infantry squad down in the editor, and I am a civilian (to watch and not participate) both squads engagement distance is only 150m

Edited by Das Attorney
Update