Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

[60522] Improved: Longer view distance for objects when high view distance is used.

This one sounds great... downloading now

[60457] New: FreeTrack support using FreeTrackClient.dll

This one too... for freetrack users... for me, I just ordered tIR-4

!

Thank you, uncle Bis!

from the readme

IMPROVES IN BETA PATCH DATA:

-----------------------------------------------------

[60588] Major AI situatuational awarness tweaking

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

CIT BETA 1.05 overview with diff.

Hehe, I think BIS finally caved in about FreeTrack when Christian (mr g-c) started acknowledging their greatness. :D

Yeah 2 great things. :) FreeTrackers should be happy, and the rest of us as well with longer draw distance woot!

[60522] Improved: Longer view distance for objects when high view distance is used.

This one sounds great... downloading now

That indeed sounds great :cool:

Wonder if the "[60522] Improved: Longer view distance for objects when high view distance is used" replaces Kju's DrawDistance addon? Only Kju know that i guess. Time to test with and without. :)

Wow, how many surprised can you put in a few patches! Guess ill be spending my weekend building a freetrack device lol

Seems to mess up CAA1 for me. Don't understand why, shouldn't effect it really.

any increase in game performance? did they chop some trees or demolished some houses!!

I'm currently playing ArmA1 maps "SP" and forced to play arma2 maps "MP" on the server.

Yep, confirmed. Using the latest beta, I can't use any of the CAA1 ArmA I islands without a CTD. Utes works fine.

I quick tested the new draw distance. Saw tanks over 4300m! (AH-1 optics) :) And that was just what i tested. So im sure we can see them even further.

Super BIS, just super.

"[60522] Improved: Longer view distance for objects when high view distance is used"

1.03:

Zoomed out

Zoomed in

Newest beta:

Zoomed out

Zoomed in

Object details seem to be handled like in Armed Assault now. Looks nice!

(I need to tweak now again for perfect performance and look :P)

However it all disapears when the VD fog comes. So houses and vehicles are gone where the VD fog starts.

Really like Kju's draw distance addon where we see the houses and all out in the VD-fog. And it never gave me worse performance. Since i play with 2350VD this doesnt really give me anything. (most play below these really big VD values).

Good start though. Please BIS look into making it all show inside the fog and have it deleted exactly on the outer border of the fog. Pretty please. :) That would give us more edge, and it looks better than to have an empty field of only ground (VD start - VD end = empty) at the end. This is great progress, but does only reward people with big VD. With showing objects in the VD-fog it would benefit all players.

Kju's addon: DrawDistance (shows objects in the VD-Fog)

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Wonder if the "[60522] Improved: Longer view distance for objects when high view distance is used" replaces Kju's DrawDistance addon? Only Kju know that i guess. Time to test with and without. :)

I dont belive Kju tweaks for statics is needed, it seems to do the exact same thing. ate least the objects appear as far as in Kju tweak.

edit: I'm using 5km, and it seems to give me more fps then with the Kju's Tweak

Edited by neokika

It is not the same thing. Kju's addons shows objects INSIDE the VD-Fog while the beta is as before. Just shows objects longer when you crank the VD up. So no, they are not the same thing. Im working now to get BIS to understand Kju's idea is better. ;) But its great progress never the less ofcourse.

EDIT: I kind of see this as a new thing BIS could do to surpass ArmA even more. Like in other areas where ARMA2 is better than ArmA, the VD-Fog could be updated to show houses and all in it (like Kju's addon). Since after all tests and playing with and without Kju's addon where no performance loss has been noticed - i think its a damn brilliant idea myself. :) It would be another area where ARMA2 beats ArmA tech wise.

Like i mentioned before. If you play with 2500-3000 VD already the new draw distance in the beta will not do anything for you. Only when you raise VD you will see the awesomeness. And most im sure cannot do that so they gain nothing. However im really pleased that BIS managed to bring back what we had in ArmA - long draw distance. I think it even beats ArmA now. :) But making us see objects in the VD-Fog would remove that nasty "popping" of them, and it would elevate ARMA2 tech wise even more over ArmA im sure.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Simon C please provide details in CAA1 issue tracker:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cbp-caa1/issues

Don't have an account there, but here's details on here instead:

At startup of the game, I get an error message (Addon 'caa1_c_enablePorto' requires addon 'caa1_p_hotfix'). Now, I have both these addons in the x/caa1/addons folder, yet when I choose a CAA1 island, the game CTDs. I played on Sahrani 10 minutes before patching, with no crashes.

I cranked up the draw distance to 10km to see the effect, and at first I didn't see much of a improvement past 5km... then I switched the objects to "very high" and BANG : the ground was covered with trees and stuff up to the VD limit... Off course it was a slideshow, but a nice looking one.

Though I agree with ALEX72 : I'd prefer to keep around 3km VD but have objects rendered further in the fog, up to the point where you don't see them popping (4km?), rather than have 5 km VD and see everything pop up 1km before (4km as well) when the fog starts...

Guess ill be spending my weekend building a freetrack device lol

Same here :yay:

EDIT: I kind of see this as a new thing BIS could do to surpass ArmA even more. Like in other areas where ARMA2 is better than ArmA, the VD-Fog could be updated to show houses and all in it (like Kju's addon). Since after all tests and playing with and without Kju's addon where no performance loss has been noticed - i think its a damn brilliant idea myself. :) It would be another area where ARMA2 beats ArmA tech wise.

Nothing will beat arma1 maps, they're the best. The only thing arma2 is better than arma1 is visuals but comes with a PERFORMANCE HIT! some of these fixes are in my opinion secondary, it's like: here is a stalled car for you to drive but we will fix the windshield to make it run better.

I cranked up the draw distance to 10km to see the effect, and at first I didn't see much of a improvement past 5km... then I switched the objects to "very high" and BANG : the ground was covered with trees and stuff up to the VD limit... Off course it was a slideshow, but a nice looking one.

Sounds really nice - downloading as I type - thanks BIS!

Also know that the FT support will make lot's of happy ppl...

/KC