There are very few keyboard functions in Arma that I use regularly: Sprint, walk/run, combat pace, lean left and right, prone, crouch, stance adjust toggle, reload, switch firemode, map, compass, watch (maybe), select grenade, inventory, and sight adjustment up and down. That's less than 20 keys.

I know, and I agree. However, I have "converted" four guys to Arma, and the first thing they all said "this is like Flight Simulator". I usually tell them that your run-of-the-mill gameplay only requires a handful of keys, but people are intimidated by it.

Soooo, anyone else to confirm latest dev branch broke a lot of sounds, for instance, if you're inside a vehicle (ex: Hunter or AH-9 Pawnee) you'll have no sound whatsoever. Am I the only one ?

Soooo, anyone else to confirm latest dev branch broke a lot of sounds, for instance, if you're inside a vehicle (ex: Hunter or AH-9 Pawnee) you'll have no sound whatsoever. Am I the only one ?

Has been noted. Few people have posted vids of the same.

---------- Post added at 00:21 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

I know, and I agree. However, I have "converted" four guys to Arma, and the first thing they all said "this is like Flight Simulator". I usually tell them that your run-of-the-mill gameplay only requires a handful of keys, but people are intimidated by it.

Have been there myself. Is a pain in the hole. But To be honest, the people I have shown. have been impressed enough with the size, scope and what arma is trying to achieve to put the time in to pick it up. And that is coming from consoles thrown right in at the deep end.

Saku's mod does a nice job of tidying up the keybindings to make it a bit easier but there's only so much a mod can do.

For weapon selection, perhaps hold modifier (I.e. win key)+scroll wheel to scroll through a list of weapons/grenades, switching to the selected on release, would be quick and easy and avoid any more keybinds to remember. In those games that use Ctrl+1, etc I could never remember which key selected what and always ended up selecting the wrong things before I eventually found what I wanted!

If any of those four play COD or BF on computer, I'd ask them how many keys they use in those games... probably more than they thought. Maybe that'd give them some perspective on how much they'd actually "need" for Arma? :p

Ticket here.

What the hell happened with the hold breath? Right now, i can practically hold it forever. :confused:

What the hell happened with the hold breath? Right now, i can practically hold it forever. :confused:

It's in the current Release Candidate too. :mad:

No out of breath sound. One quick vertical sway every 10 seconds and you can do it forever. If you're about 50% fatigued, the time is 7 s and with a couple of more sways.

Is it supposed to portray that taking one breath every ten seconds is enough to keep the gun steady indefinitely?

I guess I'm going to bind the numpad * to hold breath action and wedge a coin into it to keep the key always down.

I'm not liking it. I hope it's just a bug that gets fixed in stable.

Also, footstep sounds seem to be omni-directional/correctly spatialized again in dev branch? As well as some other sounds. But not in RC. :(

Edited by Greenfist

With the latest patch, did interior vehicle sounds go away? Flying a helo and driving a vehicle is dead silent for me now. Anyone else? It happens regardless of mods or no mods. you can hear fine in 3rd person mode, but not from 1st.

With the latest patch, did interior vehicle sounds go away? Flying a helo and driving a vehicle is dead silent for me now. Anyone else? It happens regardless of mods or no mods. you can hear fine in 3rd person mode, but not from 1st.

Yup.

I wonder how this happened.

I'm not liking it. I hope it's just a bug that gets fixed in stable.

Must be a bug, there's no way this is intentional.

Is it me or do the first person footsteps in dev branch sound really loud? they honestly sound louder than gunshots

also, the door gunners in the ghosthawk no longer have their proper helmet :(

Edited by JHard
heli crew bug

Is it me or do the first person footsteps in dev branch sound really loud? they honestly sound louder than gunshots

Agree, they sound like tap dancers, even on soft dirt or grass.

Hold breath should be removed anyway as it just complicates weapon sway even more. Good riddance I say.

Agree, they sound like tap dancers, even on soft dirt or grass.

Yep. Footsteps of others are very loud. It also seems that the "grunt" people make when hit is played right beside you even if the guy getting hit is 20metres away.

What the hell happened with the hold breath? Right now, i can practically hold it forever.

Yeah its kind of ridiculous. One thing to notice is that hold breath doesn't neccessarily give perfect steadiness - when you are wounded or fatigued holding breath doesn't help that much... So that is good. It basically means "yeah you can hold breath for a long time when your fatigue.. but I don't know how much its gonna help..." Still I think this effect should be more severe. Being tired or injured should result in less predictalbe, controllable sway.

But the recovery time from hold breath is way, way, way too short. As is, its not a mechanic that you apply at the right moment to get that critical headshot. Its a button you just hold down constantly because there is no real downfall to doing so. Can you imagine if every 10 seconds soldiers would take a quick breath and then hold it, then repeat over and over? That's just silly and I hope that it is an oversight on BI part and not supposed to be that way.

In my mind the recovery time from holding breath should be determined by how long you hold your breath for. If you hold it a whole eight seconds it should be 8 seconds of rest before you can hold again (perhaps even more). And if BI is going to keep the long timer on the hold breath ability, it should be a 2 second delay before the full effect kicks in. Right now it is a total bypass of the beautiful sway system they have implemented.

Edited by -Coulum-

Yep. Footsteps of others are very loud. It also seems that the "grunt" people make when hit is played right beside you even if the guy getting hit is 20metres away.

Yeah its kind of ridiculous. One thing to notice is that hold breath doesn't neccessarily give perfect steadiness - when you are wounded or fatigued holding breath doesn't help that much... So that is good. It basically means "yeah you can hold breath for a long time when your fatigue.. but I don't know how much its gonna help..." Still I think this effect should be more severe. Being tired or injured should result in less predictalbe, controllable sway.

But the recovery time from hold breath is way, way, way too short. As is, its not a mechanic that you apply at the right moment to get that critical headshot. Its a button you just hold down constantly because there is no real downfall to doing so. Can you imagine if every 10 seconds soldiers would take a quick breath and then hold it, then repeat over and over? That's just silly and I hope that it is an oversight on BI part and not supposed to be that way.

In my mind the recovery time from holding breath should be determined by how long you hold your breath for. If you hold it a whole eight seconds it should be 8 seconds of rest before you can hold again (perhaps even more). And if BI is going to keep the long timer on the hold breath ability, it should be a 2 second delay before the full effect kicks in. Right now it is a total bypass of the beautiful sway system they have implemented.

holding your breath isnt good if its too long. just a couple seconds too much and it starts affecting your vision in real life. not expecting that in game (although it would be EPIC - marksman addon maybe?) and thats prone relaxed not excerted. when you are puffed it happens faster but then its more about volume of fire than pretty and precise shots on target.

The absent vehicle sounds is a know issue in the last dev branch patch notes.

Its a button you just hold down constantly because there is no real downfall to doing so.

You know you can swap it to a different key thain "aim", right?

This way you can hold your breath only when you need to.

In my mind the recovery time from holding breath should be determined by how long you hold your breath for. If you hold it a whole eight seconds it should be 8 seconds of rest before you can hold again (perhaps even more).

Isn't this exactly how it works currently in the stable branch? At least that's how I think it feels, haven't really tested.

I believe he meant that you can now hold breath constantly and forever without any penalty.

Thats not the problem. The problem is, Ii its current implementation, there is no need to be conservative and only hold breath when you need to. You can just constantly hold breath with minimal negative effects, so might as well do it every-time you bring up the ironsights.

I do have it mapped to another key than aim, I am not sure what that has to do with things.

Isn't this exactly how it works currently in the stable branch? At least that's how I think it feels, haven't really tested.

I honestly am not sure. Hold breath was kind of broken in stable anyhow.

Hell I thought in dev branch it was like that (must recover as long as you hold) until danil-ch pointed it out. I used to always play conservatively only holding my breath when I really had time and need for a accurate shot. Yesterday I just tried a quick firefight while constantly holding breath and it was easy easy stuff. Really hope that hold breath is made to be more limited.

Edited by -Coulum-

I think the weapon shake after holding breath should be dependent on the duration of the breath holding. The more you hold breath, the more and the longer the weapon will shake. This would make it necessary to think whether you hold breath or not.

I think the weapon shake after holding breath should be dependent on the duration of the breath holding. The more you hold breath, the more and the longer the weapon will shake. This would make it necessary to think whether you hold breath or not.

Yeah that would work. Anything to make you have to pick and choose when the optimal time to hold breath is, rather than constantly use it with no real consequence.