Adjusted FOV is more realistic view , almost like back in arma 1 days True mods did > http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/4-truemods_new_3.jpg vs http://screenshots.en.sftcdn.net/en/scrn/58000/58591/armed-assault-18.jpg

also if your gun blocks your view - theres a key that lowers your weapon down + you can turn your head to look around so yeah

btw not much people are using small monitors these days anyway - the most got 17"-19" and higher

Edited by RobertHammer

Did you notice that the default sight actually block your eyes, especially the right screen?

Yes, it does. But the lower position allows for a larger portion of the horizon to be seen, which is more important than the lower right part of the screen. I suppose especially the adjusted MX-rifle's position would obstruct the view quite heavily with an RCO instead of an ACO. These are factors that have to be considered when positioning a rifle in a game in relation to the player's view - and that's what's making it so difficult to find the right spot for every weapon.

Adjusted FOV is more realistic view , almost like back in arma 1 days True mods did > http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/4-truemods_new_3.jpg vs http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/4-dam2.jpg

Creating a mod to achieve Lao Fei Mao's suggestion is a good idea. Changing the game's vanilla behaviour in general isn't, at least in my opinion.

Creating a mod to achieve Lao Fei Mao's suggestion is a good idea. Changing the game's vanilla behaviour in general isn't, at least in my opinion.

That's the point of the ticket but it requires new command to do such thing

Ah, I take the blame for being too hasty. ;) I withdraw my concerns. (I still like the vanilla position better. ;))

Yes, if we could get a command like the extCameraPosition, then it's much easier for everybody to get their own favorite position of head camera.

An optional addon for this would make sense, if it worked that way.

I love having my weapon to my shoulder rather than having it in my belly. Blocking or not, it will at least allow me to look at the beauty of the high-textured weapons :D

Ahh my bad, must have missunderstood the text then.... would love to see a separate install for Dev branch tho ;)

Edit: Regarding the BIS/A3 website it looks OK in IE11 but seems it no longer works correctly for the Firefox browser... :/

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

An optional addon for this would make sense, if it worked that way.

I love having my weapon to my shoulder rather than having it in my belly. Blocking or not, it will at least allow me to look at the beauty of the high-textured weapons :D

-----Without the parameter command I suggested to add, you can't make a optional addon. Currently you can only do that by adjust the memory point position of the 3D model of soldier and uniforms in O2, unfortunately they are all binarized, you can't hack it, which is not allowed by BIS. That's the reason I write the tickets, hope more people vote it, so that BI devs could see it and put it into practice.

Edited by Lao Fei Mao

Regarding the BIS/A3 website it looks OK in IE11 but seems it no longer works correctly for the Firefox browser... :/

I have here Firefox 30.0 and BIS/A3 websites working fine for me.

Same here. Looks fine in latest Firefox. Maybe KeyCat thave some plugin that is interferring?

For the PDW I concur, but with the rifles I'm against your proposition. I think moving the rifle up and to the left would significantly lessen the overall awareness, as the rifle would obstruct the player's view more than necessary. Positioning a weapon in a first person game is a delicate act of balance between realism and gaminess, as realism in this regard might be in the way of enjoying the game. Especially people with smaller screens will have a problem with your suggestion.

i like your work Mao. but in this case think that moving the sigths further form the face would make it very hard to see through them. I use your mod that brings sights closer and even then i had to increase the default zoom more to get a better sight picture.

and looking at your pictures having the gun so far away feels less immersive - like the character is holding its gun way out away from its body.

i think your aim is noble but do not think the solution works just yet.

@BIS Devs

Yesterday I played a bit of Arma 3 with my group and we noticed a feature present in Arma 2 that is really missing in Arma 3.

You know that in Arma 2 if you interact with a crate, or some type of inventory you can click on one of your magazines, or something else, and the inventory list of the crate will immediately jump to the position of that item in the ammo crate if it is present.

That currently doesn´t work in Arma 3. If you have crates with lots of stuff in them you really need to scroll around and search for your magazine type.

Can this little convenient feature from Arma 2 be reintroduced in Arma 3?

Overhauled inertia values for weapons and attachments. Main source of imprecision will be sights alignment, not sway distortion that will be elevated only with higher fatigue or arms damage in effect.

Hmm interesting. I am excited to see how it works out. But I am not sure that sight misalignment alone will work that well, because with holos sights (that always point true) this will not cause any difficulty to aiming. Don't gget me wrong, sight misalignment sound good, but I don't know if that is enough. I think you need some physical limitations in there as well (opposed to just visual confusion) whether it be weapon sway, or a limit on turn speed or whatever.

Ah but I should just shut my mouth and wait until you guys actually release it before jumping to conclusions. Keep up the good work devs, I am really looking forward to this.

Adjusted: Environmental map on various vehicles

Am I right in that this is for thermal signatures or can somebody shed some light as to what this is good for or what it supposed to do?

Am I right in that this is for thermal signatures or can somebody shed some light as to what this is good for or what it supposed to do?

I think it's more related to reflections. My guess is they're adding/planning to add surroundings reflections for vehicle glass.

Nope. The environment map is a texture that simulates reflection of surrounding scenery on a surface without having true real-time reflections of objects that are actually in the scene (things like the PiP mirrors are real-time reflections). Basically it's used in conjunction with a shader so that it projects the image of some surrounding sphere of scenery that is generally similar to the game world in appearance (it's just a static picture so doesn't show the exact objects you're stood next to, just general sky, land, trees, horizon etc.) onto the surface of a model. The environment image shifts and reacts to changes in orientation of the model so that it appears like a dynamic reflection.

I suppose the use of environment maps are most noticeable in Arma 3 on lenses and windows, or if you look at vehicle mirrors with PiP turned off in the game settings (or from outside the vehicle, since the PiP mirrors are only applied in the internal view LODs) because the effect is strongest here. However, most assets in the game that make use of the game's supershader have an environment map pass stage of some degree. How noticeable it shows up largely depends on the specularpower (glossiness) and fresnel settings in the model's .rvmat file. The environment map is usually applied in Stage 7 of the .rvmat like this:

class Stage7 {
texture = "a3\data_f\env_land_co.paa";
uvSource = "tex";

class uvTransform {
	aside[] = {1.0, 0.0, 0.0};
	up[] = {0.0, 1.0, 0.0};
	dir[] = {0.0, 0.0, 0.0};
	pos[] = {0.0, 0.0, 0.0};
};
};

Thermal imaging textures have their own stage in the .rvmat and are unrelated.

I have here Firefox 30.0 and BIS/A3 websites working fine for me.

DarkDruid and Brisse, thanks for the input... Just tested http://arma3.com again and now everything works again even with my "oldish" Firefox browser so either my PC selfhealed or webmaster did some good magic ;)

/KC

Content
Content

Thank you for the informative replies

I think it's more related to reflections. My guess is they're adding/planning to add surroundings reflections for vehicle glass.

Reflection on glass and shinny objects would be cool. Maybe if they fix the rain damping the ground in the future, we could have slight reflection from wet surfaces. Just a thought.

Having basic 'shiny' surfaces in rain would be totally cool and very immersive.

Also

in Arma 2 if you interact with a crate, or some type of inventory you can click on one of your magazines, or something else, and the inventory list of the crate will immediately jump to the position of that item in the ammo crate if it is present.

That currently doesn´t work in Arma 3. If you have crates with lots of stuff in them you really need to scroll around and search for your magazine type.

I really miss this.

@BIS Devs

Yesterday I played a bit of Arma 3 with my group and we noticed a feature present in Arma 2 that is really missing in Arma 3.

You know that in Arma 2 if you interact with a crate, or some type of inventory you can click on one of your magazines, or something else, and the inventory list of the crate will immediately jump to the position of that item in the ammo crate if it is present.

All compatible items are highlighted when you click your weapon. They shouldn't be too hard to find in the menu? And the rearm action is also very useful.

Edited by Greenfist

@ 2nd ranger

To do shiny surfaces, you need to make a "shiny" texture layer for every object I am pretty sure, it would be ridiclously impossible/laggy/glitchy/buggy to do it automatically, and probably just wouldnt work in the arma engine that way.

So I am pretty sure that just wont happen, I loved that in stalker though.

All compatible items are highlighted when you click your weapon. They shouldn't be too hard to find in the menu? And the rearm action is also very useful.

It is not just about the things compatible to your weapon. Here is one, out of many examples: If you play Arma 2 and you want to take a few extra smoke grenades you klick once on one of those in your inventory and then you are immediately in the section with smoke grenades. In Arma 3 you have to scroll through the list until you find them, wich can be a pain in the ass if you use something like a magic box with lots of addons.

It is just a convenience thing.

It is not just about the things compatible to your weapon. Here is one, out of many examples: If you play Arma 2 and you want to take a few extra smoke grenades you klick once on one of those in your inventory and then you are immediately in the section with smoke grenades. In Arma 3 you have to scroll through the list until you find them, wich can be a pain in the ass if you use something like a magic box with lots of addons.

It is just a convenience thing.

You're right, that would be convenient, not essential but nice. Maybe just double clicking on your grenade to grab another one if available in the crate?

Anyway, back on topic; bootcamp's guesstimated time of arrival on dev branch? Roughly imminent or after a summer break?

You don't have to guesstimate.

They said somewhere it is coming with some updates, I think the fixes for recoil mostly in stable.

And those updates are being released I think early July, so a few weeks, about 2-4 weeks, so it is kind of implied bootcamp is coming around that time, but don't quote me on this.