Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

I got a question for the developers about the campaign.

Are we getting a quickly throwed campaign like ARMA2 or a great story campaign like Resistance and OFP1??

Look at the ages of most of the bashers.

Most of them aren't old enough to remember a time games being released weren't dumbed down console ports like 99% of games are now.

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! That video is exciting and looks fantastic!

So now I'm even more glad I'm upgrading my hardware. A quick question - are we expecting fairly similar framerates for Operation Arrowhead that we have in the game now - or will frame rates slower with the same draw distance and number of AI enemies in the field?

Well I haven't been on the forums in awhile but that was a pretty good teaser video, similar to the way BIS built up the factions in ArmA2.

To throw my answers out there to a couple of questions posted here.

1: In my opinion all those who believe playing as the Americans is boring have a good point, look at the selection of games that are out there that have the US as the main force - ArmA1, ArmA2, COD, Battlefield. But they are the largest Western Military Force and are the only force that can move massive amounts of troops around the world in response to any situation - Afghanistan, Iraq, Haiti.

2: It is nice to see some European forces there even if its just the infantry, Czech boys have Landrovers and an Mi-17 confirmed, Germans just infantry atm.

3: The FLIR looks good in my mind, the FLIR view is actually from the AH-6X that's providing an AH-64D with targeting opportunities, and the men and visible engine parts glow white with the heat, so does the tank when it's hit.

4: Music for that vid was great, really liked the atmosphere it added.

Lot of good stuff been added in this expansion, maybe the videos to come will reveal more about the engine improvements.

P.s. The opposing force must pose a real threat to the region, The full might of the Allied forces coming down on them, M1A2's, Strykers, Up-armoured Humvee's, Blackhawks, Chinook's, AH-64D's, AH-6's, MH-6's, A-10's, C-130's, The Czech's, The German's.

Edit. And Happy Saint Patrick's Day to all

Edited by Big-Rooney

Look at the ages of most of the bashers.

Most of them aren't old enough to remember a time games being released weren't dumbed down console ports like 99% of games are now.

I couldn't help myself and had to respond. Sadly I proably lowered myself to their level.

Well I haven't been on the forums in awhile but that was a pretty good teaser video, similar to the way BIS built up the factions in ArmA2.

To throw my answers out there to a couple of questions posted here.

1: In my opinion all those who believe playing as the Americans is boring have a good point, look at the selection of games that are out there that have the US as the main force - ArmA1, ArmA2, COD, Battlefield. But they are the largest Western Military Force and are the only force that can move massive amounts of troops around the world in response to any situation - Afghanistan, Iraq, Haiti.

2: It is nice to see some European forces there even if its just the infantry, Czech boys have Landrovers and an Mi-17 confirmed, Germans just infantry atm.

3: The FLIR looks good in my mind, the FLIR view is actually from the AH-6X that's providing an AH-64D with targeting opportunities, and the men and visible engine parts glow white with the heat, so does the tank when it's hit.

4: Music for that vid was great, really liked the atmosphere it added.

Lot of good stuff been added in this expansion, maybe the videos to come will reveal more about the engine improvements.

P.s. The opposing force must pose a real threat to the region, The full might of the Allied forces coming down on them, M1A2's, Strykers, Up-armoured Humvee's, Blackhawks, Chinook's, AH-64D's, AH-6's, MH-6's, A-10's, C-130's, The Czech's, The German's.

Edit. And Happy Saint Patrick's Day to all

In that point i´m not agree... but this is not the post for politics. Only i can say is there were a lot of forces (UN: Argentina, Brazil, Rusia, Pakistan,etc) before the arrive of US Troops, who helped (and continues helping) the Haiti´s people since 2004....and the intervention of US troops was completely unnecesary and that made that the haiti people get angry with them and reject them. One more time, they were trying to be "heroes" when nobody called them. Money, food, water, supplies had been more necessary than a aircraft carrier and 2000 soldiers.

Sorry for the OT

Regards

Explosion sound in the end same as ARMA2. Dearly hope its a place holder.

Did we see black hot (FLIR) yet?

In that point i´m not agree... but this is not the post for politics. Only i can say is there were a lot of forces (UN: Argentina, Brazil, Rusia, Pakistan,etc) before the arrive of US Troops, who helped (and continues helping) the Haiti´s people since 2004....and the intervention of US troops was completely unnecesary and that made that the haiti people get angry with them and reject them. One more time, they were trying to be "heroes" when nobody called them. Money, food, water, supplies had been more necessary than a aircraft carrier and 2000 soldiers.

Sorry for the OT

Regards

Peace keeping? Stop looters? Back on topic, I hope OA has better promotion and marketing. I'd love for BI to get some recognition at E3.

I hope OA has better promotion and marketing. I'd love for BI to get some recognition at E3.

I'd say that trailer is a good start! If BIS keep that up, the hype will be ridiculous :yay:

Oh bloody hell, not this America-bashing rubbish again. I have always said, if gamers from X country wants their military included in a video game, then have a bloody a game developer from X country make a game with X military featured in it. You all are already very lucky that BIS has decided to include Germany and the Czech Republic, let alone the United Nations.

Okay I apologise, back on topic here: Did any of you here see the flag in the YouTube Operation Arrowhead trailer at around the forty-second mark?

Perhaps there will be something similar to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) already in Afghanistan included the game? Seeing as there are already the Czech Republic, United States, Germany, and the United Nations included in Operation Arrowhead? The video mentioned something about an "Alliance" whether this is referring to something like ISAF or something like the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan is unknown to me at the moment.

Also, for those of you who did not read the YouTube video description, the pilot-less Little Bird helicopter is not a glitch or bug, it is an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), or Unmanned Little Bird (ULB). Just to let you all know.

Edited by Laqueesha

Great trailer, I think that OA will be "fresh air" for ArmA 2 and certainly will add new members in this community because this game is unmatched so far, great job BI.

Any clarification on: Coming Soon....?

Are we looking at a May 2010 release?

Are we looking at a May 2010 release?

Hopefully, though I am personally wishing for a April 2010 release.

The CROWS system on the HMMWVs look nice. But they'll be useless if the HMMWV is not armoured and protected against small arms fire, because f it isn't then why bother using it?

Edited by Laqueesha

Hoping for later in the year. More testing and more time to get new sounds in. If it comes out in a month and the teaser now show same sounds it feels a bit worrying. Wheres the whole new sound overhaul?

And my pc is done in about 2 months so im in no hurry. :)

Nice trailer, though I was a little disappointed to see that yet again as with ArmA 1 and ArmA 2 that there is no pistol model proxie within the thigh holsters.

I honestly can't understand why BIS don't just include it.

As in my opinion at least, it almost seems as if the models are incomplete without them.

Added to the fact that why have a thigh holster if your not going to put something in it?

Why not just remove the thigh holster entirely? Or do away with holsters altogether.

I doubt a developer would ever answer that question though...

Hoping for later in the year. More testing and more time to get new sounds in. If it comes out in a month and the teaser now show same sounds it feels a bit worrying. Wheres the whole new sound overhaul?

And my pc is done in about 2 months so im in no hurry. :)

Well, the article posted on czech Tiscali Games web portal yesterday says (roughly translated):

Today's press release confirmed that ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead will be released in the second quarter of 2010

Interesting, but I'd rather hear that from "more official" sources.

ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead will be released in the second quarter of 2010.

Q2 sounds good and reasonable.

Hopefully an April 2010 release. :D

Surely 3 months would be a more typical marketing lead-in?

June 17th.

The FLIR display as actually seen from the cockpit is green monochrome. The recording output (as seen on youtube, etc.) is black/white.

[ig]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/pokski/eech/ah-64d-tads.jpg[/img]

Im amazed they still have monochrome displays, i would expect the old Apache's were built with them but i thought they would have been upgraded and the new ones upgraded.

Like the old F16's have monochrome MFD's but the the new blocks have full colour dont they?

Anyway if that the case im guessing the display depends on what you're using, which is great attention to detail. :thumbsup:

Edited by Placebo

Thank you for the teaser video. Any chance to get some info on how the AI are improved since thats my main concern with current state of ArmA II.

/KC

Q2 sounds good and reasonable.

Hopefully an April 2010 release. :D

April or May will do me:D

btw, looking at the video (graphics) do you guys think the system requirement will stay the same?

Well, the article posted on czech Tiscali Games web portal yesterday says (roughly translated):

Interesting, but I'd rather hear that from "more official" sources.

Am I missing something or the unmanned Little Bird, approximately visible at 1' 20'' from the beginning of the video, looks quite weird?

Surely 3 months would be a more typical marketing lead-in?

June 17th.

Most likely, I think:)

June for sure, one year after Arma 2 euro launch... as a birthday present to celerbrate.