Nice!

You can´t say anything about the "Littlebird Bullets with splash damage tearing down houses within seconds" issue?

Somewhat related (but not only) to ?

Damage to windows now longer transfer to total damage (to prevent buildings with many windows from taking excessive damage from explosives)

And this will be nice:

Sound: Added sound event for changing fire mode action (just in engine: changeFiremodeSound - not yet plugged into data!)

I love the new WIP rain, much much better than the previous one, but I'd like to have a clear answer from the devs, once and for all. This has been asked so many times already.

Is increased specularity on objects a possibility when it's raining? Or the engine can't do that?

Is increased specularity on objects a possibility when it's raining? Or the engine can't do that?

Aside from tangible gameplay impacts (which, once you reach a certain visual fidelity is, for me, is more interesting), it's certainly the holy grail of wetness.

However, it's expensive, risky - kind of enormous - and only wishlisted at this point. We have other important work to invest our time in, too.

Time will tell.

Best,

RiE

Nice Update, but at least I get some wired issues:

-no overcast where it rains

http://i.imgur.com/ayYnwAG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/80aR4sp.jpg

-visible rain without illumination (the is a outlined rectangle with visible rain, where it should not be)

http://i.imgur.com/gITwTuU.jpg

Also do I have colored rain at night, when the rain is illuminated (not visible at the screenshots)

At the moment im using two gtx 470 (sli) and the latest beta driver.

Aside from tangible gameplay impacts (which, once you reach a certain visual fidelity is, for me, is more interesting), it's certainly the holy grail of wetness.

However, it's expensive, risky - kind of enormous - and only wishlisted at this point. We have other important work to invest our time in, too.

Time will tell.

Best,

RiE

how about only on the close range ground textures? shouldn't be too expensive and those are maybe less tedious to add "hooks" to. i just think that, as very often with arma, there's a lot of potential unused here.

Altis texture seam fix:

Before

693daa273321636.jpg

After

15c73d281970435.jpg

how about only on the close range ground textures? shouldn't be too expensive and those are maybe less tedious to add "hooks" to. i just think that, as very often with arma, there's a lot of potential unused here.

Well, it's one of those things where if you improve one thing, suddenly everything else can look 10x worse. One thing is 'wet' and another thing isn't. The inconsistency 'pops' a bit more in this case.

Of course, I'm not saying you're wrong: surface specularity would be amazing - for me, it goes hand-in-hand with object specularity and some other nifty details - but we we have to think about the number of surface types we have, the number of render passes we have left, and maintaining an overall consistency of any given scene.

But, for now, we need to stop dreaming in Dev Branch discussion, before the programmers start getting twitchy again!

Best,

RiE

Well, it's one of those things where if you improve one thing, suddenly everything else looks 10x worse. One thing is 'wet' and another thing isn't. The inconsistency 'pops' a bit more in this case.

Of course, I'm not saying you're wrong: surface specularity would be amazing - for me, it goes hand-in-hand with object specularity and some other nifty details - but we we have to think about the number of surface types we have, the number of render passes we have left, and maintaining an overall consistency of any given scene.

But, for now, we need to stop dreaming in Dev Branch discussion, before the programmers start getting twitchy again!

Best,

RiE

Understood - Now that the engine recognises that a player is indoors (rain stops raining); can you consider using that fact to add appropriate echo/reverb effects to sounds when the player is indoors?

Nice use of the word 'nifty' btw. Haven't heard that word in a long time.

Understood - Now that the engine recognises that a player is indoors (rain stops raining); can you consider using that fact to add appropriate echo/reverb effects to sounds when the player is indoors?

Nice use of the word 'nifty' btw. Haven't heard that word in a long time.

Not raining inside and different sounds inside are two completely different things.

The rain particles just have collision, they cease to exist when they hit something.

boggler;2535046']...

What is the time of day' date=' date and whatnot in that overcast screenshot? I'm getting nothing like it.

Rain seems to be effected by lights other than headlamps, if you look closely you can see it red

[img']http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/raincolor_zpscaff2f01.jpg[/img]

Speaking of, is there any chance that all vehicles including aircraft could get this type of light? I ran this test on the aircraft, jet and plane and because of the way the collision lights are set, they didn't effect the rain color at all.

Two other things, if you turn out in a vehicle the rain stops short of the vehicles geometry, so if you turn out of a vehicle while its raining the rain won't be seen on the top of the turret. I don't know if this is a tradeoff for nothing having rain in buildings or heck, under a small part of the building, if so then I'd happily deal with it.

The other is that rain does not show on PIP, tested this with boats, vehicles and heli's, and while the rain is clear as day on the thermal cameras in optics mode, you see nothing of it on PIP thermal, or regular.

Overall I'm VERY happy with it..how you no longer get that odd "distant stacked planes" rain effect in vehicles, the fact that its effects by lights, wind and more, its definately a huge first step and I can't wait to see it evolve further.

Edited by NodUnit

I'm on stable branch because I have the game on my SSD drive. Anyone has a video of the new rain :)

Good job on this one BI :yay:

I took some footage of the new muzzle flashes for the heavys, also shows how the rain is affected by light at night, pretty impressive I think!

Not raining inside and different sounds inside are two completely different things.

The rain particles just have collision, they cease to exist when they hit something.

You misunderstand me. I'm not talking about the particles. I'm saying that if the engine "knows" you're indoors, then it should add appropriate sound filters to everything you hear accordingly.

I took some footage of the new muzzle flashes for the heavys, also shows how the rain is affected by light at night, pretty impressive I think!

Rain design is good direction but I miss rain movement dependence eg. flying heli with 200khm I can see rain drops striaght up down. Overall good work.

I can see fps improvment with todays build and my friends confirmed that too.

Edited by PawelKPL

You misunderstand me. I'm not talking about the particles. I'm saying that if the engine "knows" you're indoors, then it should add appropriate sound filters to everything you hear accordingly.

That's what I'm saying. It doesn't "know" that you're indoors.

The reason why it doesn't rain indoors is this: rain particle just gets spawned up in the air, it falls down, hits the roof of the building and "dies".

That's why there is no rain inside. The engine doesn't "know" that you're inside (well ok, it might have other functions for detecting if you're indoors or not, but not raining indoors isn't an indicator of that).

That's what I'm saying. It doesn't "know" that you're indoors.

The reason why it doesn't rain indoors is this: rain particle just gets spawned up in the air, it falls down, hits the roof of the building and "dies".

That's why there is no rain inside. The engine doesn't "know" that you're inside.

It's easy enough to extrapolate. If it is raining and no rain is rendered on the screen, then player is indoors. Engine can work that out easy.

You're nitpicking on details anyway. I don't want to get sidetracked into a discussion on the rain. I used it as an illustration to ask if audio filters can be applied if the player is indoors.

i miss nothing, besides wet surfaces when it's raining and a bit after, and fog/smoke casting shadows

It's easy enough to extrapolate. If it is raining and no rain is rendered on the screen, then player is indoors. Engine can work that out easy.

You're nitpicking on details anyway. I don't want to get sidetracked into a discussion on the rain. I used it as an illustration to ask if audio filters can be applied if the player is indoors.

So what if it isn't raining at all? ;)

Honestly, a much better way would be to define zones/volumes for being indoors.

Fair point. :)

Personally, I would check using lineIntersectsWith, from eyePos player to position x meters above his bonce.

And then check the object returned for it's boundingBoxReal and base the reverb on some calcs from the dimensions returned.

That's in a scripted scenario. Would be nice if it's all engine based though.

Rain seems to be effected by lights other than headlamps

Not affected by Chemlights, though, in my testing.

Time will tell.

Best,

RiE

Heheheheh, Red Alert. :D

Also will you guys be fixing the error with the Varsuk's cannon being named 120mm despite being a 135mm according to the Field Manual? And will a coax be added for the gunner?

A few more questions, will the slammer have a machine gun for the commander like in previous screenshots? And what happened to the NEMO Marshall?

Is this the new decommissioned Hunter 'Scrapping' object from the changelog?

9e57a3282027163.jpg

Or was this wreck in there before and I missed it? It's got to be the most awesome, detailed wreck model in history! :)

Is this the new decommissioned Hunter 'Scrapping' object from the changelog?

http://thumbnails104.imagebam.com/28203/9e57a3282027163.jpg

Or was this wreck in there before and I missed it? It's got to be the most awesome, detailed wreck model in history! :)

It was there before too. I think I saw the decommisioned hunter under Objects(military) or something. (If there's a menu called that at all :P)