I'm the only one who get a lot of CTD with the last dev build ?

Hello,

thank you for the feedback.

You surely already know what I will ask for :) Please try to locate the crashdumps and send them to me so we can check you what might be wrong.

In case you are not sure where to find them, crashdump (mdmp + rpt + bidmp) files should be located in this directory:
<drive>:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Arma 3

Once you have collected these, please ZIP them up and upload them to some free file sharing service (e.g. Dropbox) and PM me the link.

Thank you :)
  • Like 3

It's not a total crash of the game, it's just "Windows return", as if I press alt+tab.

I keep you up.

Tweaked: The "Sector", "Cover Map", "Add Camera Area" and "Add Editing Area" modules now have their area configurable via a Scaling Widget (synchronizing them to a trigger through a "Location" logic entity is not needed anymore)

Finally modules get some more love.

It's not a total crash of the game, it's just "Windows return", as if I press alt+tab.

I keep you up.

Can you share some more details? (Operation system, is Steam and/or the game run as administrator? Is there some pattern when it happens? What are you doing when it does this?)

I'm on W7, last dev Branch when it happened, nothing launched as admin (regular launch of Arma by the Launcher), it happened while I was farming Kart and Helicopters time trial.

I'll retry today, to see if there are rpt.

Unable to reproduce today. It was maybe caused by an external application.

When I saw the first pictures I was like: That can't be Arma 3, the model quality is way too good. Can't wait drive it around.

• Like 1

Can't wait to see the first screenshots of the other vehicles

New off-road for upcoming Tanoa expansion:

http://velebny.net/offroad.html

I wonder if the model shown on the web page is the actual model as it appears in game ? Because with 33000 triangles, it's got a pretty high poly count

With the car having open doors - is it possible that openable doors will make their way back to A3?

Great model all around, a lovely peace of metal. But since the interiors aren't very easy to make and are time consuming, I wonder how would players react to a higher variety of distinctive vehicles, but lower quality of their interiors...

Because, you know... sometimes sacrifices must be made for a better cause.

Love the vehicle! that empty back and roll cage seem like the perfect combination for turn out and take your RPG while we hunt that convoy missions!

If this vehicle is anything to go by, this expansion is looking good!

Great model all around, a lovely peace of metal. But since the interiors aren't very easy to make and are time consuming, I wonder how would players react to a higher variety of distinctive vehicles, but lower quality of their interiors...

A big no-go in my opinion, we already have enough of those vehicles which look good from the outside but bad from the inside. Strider is one example.

New off-road for upcoming Tanoa expansion:

http://velebny.net/offroad.html

Daaang that is amazing and an excellent example how a next gen asset.

I wonder if the model shown on the web page is the actual model as it appears in game ? Because with 33000 triangles, it's got a pretty high poly count

It is high but certainly possibled, truth be told depending on how things are handled you can push around 36 to nearly 40K in this engine depending on how the model is set up, and that is the key.

I guess its time to stop worrying about trying to stick to 20K only.

offroad_arma_01.jpg

To me it looks like standard low poly model with hi poly baked on it.

To me it looks like standard low poly model with hi poly baked on it.

Er, yeah what else?

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

It is high but certainly possibled, truth be told depending on how things are handled you can push around 36 to nearly 40K in this engine depending on how the model is set up, and that is the key.

I guess its time to stop worrying about trying to stick to 20K only.

Yeah but for a car it is pretty high. Not that I mind. It means I don't need to be ashamed for my poly count anymore :)

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

Compositing all the details one makes to fill a view LOD, with all the external detail for the res LOD, would quite naturally make the model pretty high poly compared to how it would be composed ingame. There are sensible optimisations that can be made for the ingame asset that still utilises all the required detail of the original model one way or another. e.g. a viewXYZ LOD quality interior like is shown in the portfolio piece possibly wont be present in the resolution LODs. And it's quite likely that the view LOD will have certain parts removed that are not visible from the perspective of the player's position inside the vehicle.

But still, one builds an open-cockpit model such as this to incorporate all the necessary details so that they can be baked to the material, then optimises the mesh for how it actually shows in the game engine.

It's obvious from the use of proxies on the Mora, Gorgon etc. (the parts we can't setobjecttexture are proxies) that BIS were already running in to the vertex limit when making a bunch of Arma 3 assets.

However, the fact can now binarise models with 32-bit vertex indices, indicates that BIS have made effort to extend the poly limit to accommodate so-called "next gen" meshes meshes and modelling workflows for Apex (when does it become current gen? :D). Probably for the reason that cutting out the need to make complex work-arounds to beat the animation and retexturing limitations that using proxy models leads to, will make development so much more streamlined.

The proxy arrangements on the speedboats and Ghosthawks with their multiple weapon stations are pretty insane and were no doubt time-consuming to plan and work around.

IMO none of it really suggests that there's going to be an outright increase in polygon counts for Apex assets compared to A3 stuff, since we already had models ingame that were exceeding the 32k vertex (15-bit index?) limit in certain circumstances. And I don't think it would be sensible for people to look at the 32-bit index extension as an excuse to go completely batshit with polycounts. But it'll certainly make it easier to make nice models.

But I dunno. Maybe it's a discussion for this thread since no Apex content is on dev yet?

• Like 2

Eden Editor
  • Added: A new “Comment†entity type (present only in the Eden Editor scene, can be used e.g. for personal notes)

Where exactly can this entity be found?

After yesterday devbranch update Ai had big problems with idle animations on phrone - they was gimnastic like aliens. Look here :

http://feedback.rhsmods.org/view.php?id=2046

Dont know yet is this ai, or vanilla bug, but started after yesterday update.

Also getting that bug.