Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

I do use a launcher, but ever time i tried to configure it to use the beta folder, the game crashed. Please could you explain me how to do it with a launcher?

Thanks if you can :)

Put the beta in first position and then the other mods. With the last version of ARMA II launcher you can alter the mod position.

Finally try without any other mods.

Hmm, i still am having no luck getting it to run as a mod, arma 2 crashes every time. I can run it easily by adding modlines to the "sortcut to arma 2 beta patch" in the main arma 2 directory, but that seems to be the only way.

Also, all the new features of this latest patch work as they should, fps in urban areas is genrally a bit higher and smoother, and the grass layer works etc. However, on the old patch i had slightly worse fps in urban areas, but way higher everywhere else.

Like on the official, older patch, i reach my 75fps limit all the time in open fields etc, but get stuck at about 40fps in villages. With the new patch, i never really get past 60fps unless i turn off AA, but the framerate in villages is generally alot higher.

Is this just because the AA works alot better now? Or does the patch just lower the framerate, except for in urban areas?

Cheers!

At least Yoma's Addon sync, linked above, supports betas. If you really want to use a launcher it is a good option.

There has been some change in the renderer i think.

In 210 i used to be able to use enbseries to force fake AA via gaussian blur and fake SSAO using HLSL, with the latest patch it no longer works correctly.

I'd presume its related to the HDR or AA but to be honest i dont have a clue, overall FPS is certainly lower but streaming is more stable.

I do prefer balance though so its fine by me.

Edited by xmongx

Hmm, i still am having no luck getting it to run as a mod, arma 2 crashes every time. I can run it easily by adding modlines to the "sortcut to arma 2 beta patch" in the main arma 2 directory, but that seems to be the only way.

Are you using Alpine Arma Launcher? I do and all I have to do is to check the box "Use beta *.exe" and "Beta mod at high prio" under the tab "settings". The path to Arma II.exe above these boxes should lead to the original exe and not the beta.

To keep it short, no changes to be done despite checking the two lowest boxes in "settings" and then you can load mods as usual.

BIS, please bring the bigger laser dot back. :)

I might be wrong, but I thought the device operated in the IR range? The only thing I need the dot for is to verify that I'm not by accident lazing myself.

Suggestions:

1) Make it have a on/off indicator.

2) Make it show range by default while on, and remove the dot from visible view. Should show up in NVGs though?

3) Overheat feature would be nice.

4) QRF buttons would be nice to add some depth to copperhead missions.

I hate the fact that I have to script range finding in missions :(

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I might be wrong, but I thought the device operated in the IR range?

Maybe so mate, but the fact remains that it is a lit up standard red laser in the game. And i fully agree - gives us a red little led that shows its on. Must be easier than mocking around with the dot?

Ptolemaios: You have to change 2 lines in your ARMA2.CFG located at C:\Users\username\Documents\ArmA 2

The 2 last lines:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=0;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=0;

Change them to "1" or as me "0". That will make the mouse faster responding - maybe. Depends on your system. But it should make it more responsive.

However the thing your talking about i dont think this will fix. You refer to that the movement is more sluggish up and down compared to side to side - thats how it is in ARMA. Nothing that will change - i promise. Practise and learn instead. ;)

But test the above out - should make your game "better".

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Sarge;1477770']

I'm talking about hitting twigs....not trunks.......when there's Infantry hidden behind some bushes or a treeline theres almost NO CHANCE to engange them with 40mm grenades and HE rounds.

its like there's a shield in front of the vegetation......and I'm not fantasizing' date=' BIS already fixed that rockets and missiles explode by contact with vegetation......go check the changelogs.[/quote']

I'm not talking about tree trunks either - basically when there's enough branches in the way, and it doesn't always have to be that many/dense, then a real M203 HE grenade can go off when it hits them.

My buddy told me afterwards that he was amazed he couldn't shoot the grenades through the branches.

So this "bug" you're talking about is actually quite realistic.

Cut/Paste arma.exe from beta folder to game root folder. Make shortcut, add all parametars you want and you can use beta as mod folder. I have done that way to use ATI Tray Tool :)

To all wise people :)...what FramesAhead command actualy do?, what settings should i use for ATI 4870 and 17' LCD?

Edited by Radnik

Looks like a new patch is out, 59875. Two new entries in the changelog:

[59873] Fixed: After spawning new types of entities via script, game could randomly freeze or crash.

[59872] Fixed: Airplane, helicopter, car and ship control was lost while map was active.

What the other 16 new changes are since last beta, we have to find out by ourself as usual.

Edited by sparks50

Thanks for the update sparks.

Talking about the 59857 build, after alot of missions testing, I've to say that performance it's worst for me with that beta then with 1.04... Going to try the new beta now.

Also new:

[59479] Improved: addons in the My Documents are now organized by mod directories - until now, the only path supported was My Documents\<app_name>\addons - now, also paths My Documents\<app_name>\<mod_dir>\addons are checked for all active mods

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

And from CIT by Suma:

Water and shore rendering was done twice since revision 59219.

Fixed in 59870

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/5526

The big cities are finally more smoother for me, looks like the improvement that some users got with 59857. Good stuff. Thanks BIS!

After some testing im a bit confused about the latest builds performance.

To me it goes up and down and i have moments of great performance and then it starts to lag up, and then back again. Flying high up before i could have 7000VD and smooth FPS, but now i have less FPS doing that. If i zoom in i get super FPS (better than before zooming in). And it seems like the new beta is after lagging is built up - it releases and gives good performance again. That sounds good, but i prefer when i know how to expect it to be.

I think its just time to upgrade. Put this one to sleep - for good. :)

EDIT: I know what i forgot. The performance "catch up" is noticeable (new thing in this build). When it lags - i "skip forward" in time to good FPS. It happens sometimes when lag occur. I think this is some new code that feels when you lag and gets you back on track. However it leads to missed shots, wrong turns and whatever else that can happen when you are looking one way and the next another (when turning etc). You go from looking at west to east without seeing the in between. Noticed it just now again big time when flying. Got some lag when coming into a new never loaded area and BOOM i was looking into the sky all of a sudden. Real scary.

EDIT2: Sometimes just flying alone in Cherna i get so heavy lag with this new beta that i chug like 1FPS even though i been in the area before. This with 3500VD and most to NORMAL and some to LOW. I even had a CTD when changing VD from 2500 to 3500 wich has never happened in any build ever. New fresh started computer - new fresh game. Despite the other good changes im seeing myself rolling back to 59210 again. Really sorry BIS, i know you work hard to get this going. Something is getting me serious lag in some situations and then all of a sudden i get super FPS.

So my reflections over this beta's performance is that i am confused. It switches from bad to good and back pretty much all the time.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

New patch, that's great!

First test, not saying this patch is good or bad.

Starting ArmA2, no addons, startup paramter: -world=empty

Beta 59210 - 188FPS

Beta 59857 - 124FPS

I'm going to test a little more the next days.

MfG Lee

Now:

Beta 59210 - 188FPS

Beta 59857 - 124FPS

Beta 59875 - 190FPS

MfG Lee

Thanks for this patch!

Hope that BIS devs are going to improve AI too eg:

- avoid collision with terrain and trees for aircrafts

- implement straight-and-level flight to avoid those silly dive-bombing manoeuvres and weird up and downs close to waypoints

- make the warfare building worth to build eg implement in AntiAirRadar building some interfaces where you can see the blips from aircrafts

- improve AI's abilities for overwatch and to use suppressing fire

- improve the proper usage of weapons and launchers for AI (kinda strange to see units shooting at tanks without AT weapons)

- make a (better) priority list for AI so they will engage the highest threats first

- somehow the AI keeps on shooting on destroyed/burning vehicles :confused:

- add a nice "AI-unstuck/punch" feature

- still issues with convoy

same here: performance as good as 59210. I think there is added since 59857 new post processing effect @veryhigh. After starting again the game this effect is gone. To set HDR-precision from 8 to 16 in cfg i can fix this reset.

a voice-bug i noticed since 1.04: the voices of own squadmembers are only radiotransmitted, not "on air". I like to play in squad, radio muted and to hear the members in real distance.

Edited by JumpingHubert

1.4.0.59875 Beta vs 1.4.0.59857 Beta vs. Steam 1.4.0.59026

02betanew.th.jpg 02beta.th.jpg Steam 1.4.0.59026 Pic - Scene 1

01betanew.th.jpg 01beta.th.jpg Steam 1.4.0.59026 Pic - Scene 2

FPS back to 59026 in the scenes, no stuttering in cities that is present in 59026, making the overall performance feel better than 59026 and 59857.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

..pics..

The ocean changed from blue to grey? Or is that random.

Also, all the new features of this latest patch work as they should, fps in urban areas is genrally a bit higher and smoother, and the grass layer works etc. However, on the old patch i had slightly worse fps in urban areas, but way higher everywhere else.

Like on the official, older patch, i reach my 75fps limit all the time in open fields etc, but get stuck at about 40fps in villages. With the new patch, i never really get past 60fps unless i turn off AA, but the framerate in villages is generally alot higher.

Is this just because the AA works alot better now? Or does the patch just lower the framerate, except for in urban areas?

Cheers!

In AddonSync: fill in arma2.exe path (should autodetect), then make a modset and add the beta folder to it.

Launch using that modset and it will automatically start up the beta exe.

Add any mods you like via the modset, give the set a relevant name and you're off.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Cut/Paste arma.exe from beta folder to game root folder. Make shortcut, add all parametars you want and you can use beta as mod folder. I have done that way to use ATI Tray Tool :)

To all wise people :)...what FramesAhead command actualy do?, what settings should i use for ATI 4870 and 17' LCD?

That's very very bad advise.

The ocean changed from blue to grey? Or is that random.

Blue sea is an effect of an accidental leftover .pbo in addons dir, new picture is what the sea appears like ingame without modifications. Retest showed no performance gain/loss so didn't bother to update the old pics.

FPS still the same for me, but texture streaming definitely is improved. Cheers!

"Fixed: Airplane, helicopter, car and ship control was lost while map was active."

I don't quite understand this. I tried driving a Hummer and opened the map and same thing happened as always, I lost control of the vehicle 'till I exited the map and repressed the controls. I remember in OFP you could drive and even move on foot when the map was open. I was told when Arma1 was released that they changed this feature, because it was "unrealistic and was wrong". Personally I liked it. But what is this bug fix supposed to do?

Yay, stutters are gone, good stuff. :)

I also now suffer from the strange mouse Y-axis lag as reported by Ptolemaios, strange as it happens only on the Y-axis which worked just fine in 59323 (skipped the 59857 because this new one arrived).. :confused:

Got it at acceptable level by fidling with the Y-axis acceleration and mousesmoothing setting, but it's still a bit weird new "feature"..

FPS still the same for me, but texture streaming definitely is improved. Cheers!

"Fixed: Airplane, helicopter, car and ship control was lost while map was active."

I don't quite understand this. I tried driving a Hummer and opened the map and same thing happened as always, I lost control of the vehicle 'till I exited the map and repressed the controls. I remember in OFP you could drive and even move on foot when the map was open. I was told when Arma1 was released that they changed this feature, because it was "unrealistic and was wrong". Personally I liked it. But what is this bug fix supposed to do?

i thought they kept it in ARMA1 :confused:,

are you sure you've got the beta patch installed etc. its always good to check for simple silly mistakes ;)

Oh an great work BIS, performance is superhigh now :eek: