Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

It looks like your demo shows an enemy vehicle suppressing an infantry soldier. It's very interesting, but I wonder if the same behavior can be shown in an infantry-on-infantry engagement.

Yes, works exactly the same when they're on foot.

And for those that haven't noticed yet:

...This is a preparation to get Suppress command working, but it is not yet. Stay tuned. If you want to test it meanwhile, you need to use scripting. Example:

{_x suppressFor 30} forEach unit group player

Originally Posted by Suma @ CIT

...This is a preparation to get Suppress command working, but it is not yet. Stay tuned. If you want to test it meanwhile, you need to use scripting. Example:

{_x suppressFor 30} forEach unit group player

:bounce3:

that is nice but how can you set it to suppress a non-player unit ?

Well, that code will make the player's squad suppress whoever they are engaging for 30 seconds. In general, you need to do

<loon> suppressFor <time>

to make the <loon> suppress his target for <time> seconds. Not sure if it will actually suppress his target or not, but he'll throw some lead in the right direction. :)

Tested the suppress in the units own INIT, but that didnt seem to work. Hoped whenever they saw an enemy that they didnt kill that they would suppress his location for a while. The trigger worked to where i radio trigger a unit to suppress last known location. Fun to experiment around with it.

About my distortion: It has been basically for ever or more noticeable in the last couple of beta's. The heavy distortion that we had before is gone and fixed. But this comes when i stand in front usually of someone shooting from behind. A screetch sound on each bullet. Video is coming.

this suppressFor 60 worked for me, if put on a units init line. But first you have to reveal yourself at a location he can shoot at. Peek out so he knows your there, and observe a machinegunner go amok :)

Try combining it in a repetitive trigger, with activation "time % 20 > 10", {_x suppressFor 10} forEach units eastgroup (or whatever).

Naturally, something that simple wouldn't work on its own in a mission, but needs scripting to turn the effect on and off in a natural way, depending on unit class and available/availability of ammunition.

I had two full USMC squads being utterly slaughtered by a single russian infantry squad. Their machine gunners ate through everything, and the "micro AI" didn't appear to work at all for the west group. They just kept walking into the line of fire, getting killed.

Nice to see it is a preparation, because reaction to supressive fire needs to be handled as well. Currently it only have purpose in coop games to force AI to shoot more. However, accuracy seemed extremely high.

You suppress to make the enemy stay put and keep his head down. If he is dumb enough to take a peak, naturally the AI should adjust and try to go for the kill. Wouldn't you? :)

---

As for my rather extreme performance penality: It seems to go away completely if I turn off grass. Grass layer is also turned off when turning off visible grass. 11 FPS vs 40-50FPS is a rather big hit. Connection? I also had a penalty for using grass in Arma1, but I thought the grass layer was independant there, and always forced on? So in Arma1, the hit seemed to be caused by the visible grass.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

The grass is a FPS eater. I had it on since ARMA2 1.01 but turned it off down the line as i got so much more performance from it. Since last 2 betas i turned it on again and it works. I get better without ofcourse, but it sucks to see too good (removes a lot of immersion when going through thick forests and over hills). Would be nice if BIS could look at the grass and those heavy trees/bushes as another step towards better performance.

About the SuppressFor - i added it onto every unit in a west squad (init) and the same at an east squad but i didnt see any suppressing. When one of the opposing units showed themselves and then ran off - the others didnt suppress the area at all. Maybe i did it wrong. I gave every unit a name and did the "name SuppressFor 20"... Then again i suck at scripting/commanding. :)

I didn't use to get a penalty at all for grass. But the more I test, the more weird my test results become. Maybe some of the trees have been fixed, but there still is a lot to go.

Weird, it should work. Try just yourself as a west rifleman and an AI as east machinegunner (add to his init line naturally). Place yourself so that you don't see eachother when mission begins. Set it up something similar as the video posted a little up.

Is it me or have the last 2 patches changed the tracers? Thanks for all the patches BIS. I having fun in missions, nice firefights :)

Is it me or have the last 2 patches changed the tracers? Thanks for all the patches BIS. I having fun in missions, nice firefights :)

How so? I havent noticed anything drastic

Are you sure you dont have Tracer Effects by Opticalsnare running :p

Arghh!! Screwed up my game in progress (A Different Kind of War 2).

Had to restart.:confused:

A weeks worth of belly crawling towards the drug dealers compound down the drain.

But hey , I did have an enemy AI suppress the hell outta me while I cowered behind a tree so I suppose that was a fair trade off but non the less...

A curse on BI and their patches... :p

about finally functional grasslayer.

I would like to see, that the grasslayer is applied on crouched and standing units too. Also, it would be great, if we can hide armor or car or static defense into the grasslayer. And last thing, it would be great, if the grasslayer is applied according to actual grass density. So you could make yourself sure, that if you don't see anything through your cover, than noone can see you at all too.

Just my opinion.

I would like to see, that the grasslayer is applied on crouched and standing units too. Also, it would be great, if we can hide armor or car or static defense into the grasslayer. And last thing, it would be great, if the grasslayer is applied according to actual grass density. So you could make yourself sure, that if you don't see anything through your cover, than noone can see you at all too.

Good points, except for the car. how do you mean, hide a car in the grass?

I am guessing that it's not worth using this beta for multiplayer yet as players not using it will still be able to see you in the grass(?)

But hey , I did have an enemy AI suppress the hell outta me while I cowered behind a tree so I suppose that was a fair trade off but non the less...

I've seen too enemies using suppression fire with latest beta.

With the latest patch the gun sounds of your own weapons stop playing. For example when you shoot with the MK19 grenade launcher against buildings for a few seconds.

It depends. If the new grass layer is causing performance drops even if only used on prone units, then not only no, but hell no, to affecting everything with the effect. Grass layer can in some cases, help conceal a prone unit, but it doesn't do anything to crouched or standing units except cause a frame hit.

Hide vehicles? Sorry, but that one doesn't make sense to me :)

It depends. If the new grass layer is causing performance drops even if only used on prone units, then not only no, but hell no, to affecting everything with the effect. Grass layer can in some cases, help conceal a prone unit, but it doesn't do anything to crouched or standing units except cause a frame hit.

Hide vehicles? Sorry, but that one doesn't make sense to me :)

Well, imagine, that you see only top of a UAZ with machingun, i think, it could be great, because it would be more difficult to recognize what armor or car is there or even what is it at all. Vehicles are camouflaged whole their history since they are used in combat. I dont see any problem with that.

And I don't think, that the grasslayer has any significant negative performance impact. Seems to me as a normal texture, which can "drown" objects.

Edited by Bouben

The mission from the official campagne `Einöde` (guess that's Badlands), doesn't load with the latest patch (no save!). That is, it loads, receives, shows the clock-animation up to 7:05, back to loading and then it displays the map for a glimpse and goes back to the loading/receiving-screen - to stay/halt there.

And that's what the rpt-file has logged:

SetFace error: class CfgFaces.CooperHead.Face06_camo5 not found
Error: Error during SetFace - class CfgFaces.CooperHead.Face06_camo5 not found
No speaker given, patched to Male01EN
Cannot create non-ai vehicle Misc_Cargo1B,
Duplicate weapon ItemGPS detected for FR_Cooper
Duplicate weapon ItemMap detected for FR_Cooper
Duplicate weapon ItemCompass detected for FR_Cooper
Duplicate weapon ItemWatch detected for FR_Cooper
Duplicate weapon ItemRadio detected for FR_Cooper
Error in expression <_templates = [];
_texts = [];

{
if (_x == _faction) then
{
_name = BIS_WF_Templ>
 Error position: <== _faction) then
{
_name = BIS_WF_Templ>
 Error Allgemeiner Fehler in Ausdruck

If I don't use the beta-patch, the mission loads fine and pretty quick too.

EDIT: still not fixed in ARMA2_Build_60000

Edited by ruebe
new beta patch

Hi, I'm trying to install the beta patch ARMA2_Build_59928.zip. However the installer faults with the error you must have 1.04 installed you have 1.03. I have tried reinstalling 1.04 which confirms that I alreasy have 1.04 installed.

Any advice?

Use the forum search. :)

Hi, I'm trying to install the beta patch ARMA2_Build_59928.zip. However the installer faults with the error you must have 1.04 installed you have 1.03. I have tried reinstalling 1.04 which confirms that I alreasy have 1.04 installed.

Any advice?

Try installing the patches one after another, not just 1.04. Unless this is what you do normally. Because the Beta may not be reading the correct game files. There is new content in each patch, its not just all in one patch.

Try installing the patches one after another, not just 1.04.

There is no reason to do so. Patch 1.04 can be installed on "ANY ORIGINAL VERSION OF ARMA 2 from 1.00 to 1.03 other than the Steam version".