Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

WTH?

Since ArmA 1 I always lost controls on my vehicle.:confused: And I crashed often enough in an helo, because of loosing the throttle. (Using Joystick Saitek X-52)

They never "fixed" that...not on my version of ArmA 1 & 2;)

Must be another kind of "loosing control"....

To all wise people :)...what FramesAhead command actualy do?, what settings should i use for ATI 4870 and 17' LCD?

It gives you a way to remove inputlag if you have it. With my multigpu set up, it really smooths it out. Didnt notice the very little hitch/stutter until i tested the values. And i think 1 is best.

Anyone else notices mouse y-axis weirdness, apart from the two guys that posted?

It seems strange that some have it and others not..

Anyone else notices mouse y-axis weirdness, apart from the two guys that posted?

Only when i drop mouse smoothing to below around 20% on the slider.

I'm getting confused, am I the only one getting a worse performance with the last two beta patches?

The ocean changed from blue to grey? Or is that random.

I noticed that too a while ago and thought I was going crazy, I don't remember when it happened but it's kinda weird how it just switched all of the sudden.

Ok i feel like a jackass...

So the latest beta was very up and down when i tested it. I was running 191.00 (Nvidia) and wouldnt update to 191.07 from all the negative ive heard about those drivers. Textures missing, bad performance etc etc. Both from friends and on forums a lot of negativity about those drivers. So i thaught i'd give them a test anyway just to see if it would improve the latest beta and... Whops!

No more lag from flying - at all (happened all the time with 191.00). When i entered the game with the jet set to flying i thaught i had time skip on. Felt uber fast. Next i tested full combat ACM and waited until it escalated big time and felt around on how the performance was and damn, uber fps again. Im glad i tested those drivers before rolling back beta's. :)

Crazy how drivers so close to eachother can make such a huge difference. If you heard bad things about 191.07 as well and skipped testing them - dont (together with this beta especially).

Alex

The game still runs w/pauses.NEEDS to be smooth.W/gtx295 this should eat this game alive +q9650....

I had pauses and then i changed drivers to the latest. No more pauses anywhere. Even i can feel the awesomeness of the towns now.

That's very very bad advise.

dunno, why?. is there any difference from where you startup game?. maybe i'm wrong...:cool:

dunno, why?. is there any difference from where you startup game?. maybe i'm wrong...:cool:

because you would over wright the 1.04 exe....

Hi zeep (of Infiltration fame?)

Since the BETAs I've been experiencing some weird mouse-lag in the menu. It happens frequently, but I must admit I haven't checked to see if it only affects Y-axis. Having said that I also updated my nVIDIA drivers around the same time... so there could be many culprits.

-k

This beta surprised me this morning. I can safely say I can finally play at my native resolution of 1680x1050 now with minor quips regarding performance, which is mainly my end now, and almost no notable stuttering from the streaming files. I can't comment on the fixed audio issue for startup sounds and such, but since I have yet to notice them since this patch I just assume it's working.

One thing I noticed in the change log:

[59715] Covering soldier in grass ("Grass layer").

Can anyone confirm this if it hasn't already? I was trying to take notice of this but I was not seeing it take effect like it did in ArmA1.

Hi zeep (of Infiltration fame?)

Since the BETAs I've been experiencing some weird mouse-lag in the menu. It happens frequently, but I must admit I haven't checked to see if it only affects Y-axis. Having said that I also updated my nVIDIA drivers around the same time... so there could be many culprits.

-k

please try use GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1; or GPU_MaxFramesAhead=2;

inside Your arma2.cfg

please try use GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1; or GPU_MaxFramesAhead=2;

inside Your arma2.cfg

Previously I had set both of these values to 1. The slight tweak did not make any noticeable difference to the mouse problem, save that I think I may have sacrificed one or two FPS.

However I must stress that this ONLY happens in the menu, whilst in game, weapon in hand and boots on the ground; my mouse functions perfectly.

In retrospect it may also be related to the fact that I keep my INGAME y-axis sensitivity almost double of the X-axis. This in order to give the mouse a more uniform performance.

edit: Damnest thing. Reducing y-axis sensitivity to the same level as the X one did fix it somewhat. But the error only appears, and only in MENU(esc), when I have around 44-55 FPS. More or less than that; mouse acts with no problems. *shrug*

-k

(g9 logitech mouse, Quad-Phenom, 285 nvidia, all maxed, 5k view dist @ around 30-40fps in smallish scenarios)

Edited by NkEnNy

[59715] Covering soldier in grass ("Grass layer").

Can anyone confirm this if it hasn't already? I was trying to take notice of this but I was not seeing it take effect like it did in ArmA1.

Its only active for people lying down.

Keep up the good work BIS, this is going in the right direction!

Performance on the mainland improved very much. There's still work to do on the shores, though.

I just noticed the 59875 beta is up, I'll be testing that one tomorrow and report my findings.

the latest beta patch works fine. No Y lag and satisfying fps.

The view over the ocean during the opening menu cutscene is perfectly smooth again.

Still find it strange how 2xAA is more demanding than setting my 3D resolution to 125%, even though turning up the 3D res does a much better job at making vegetation look better.

I guess turning off transparency AA would change that, but it mostly defeats the point as vegetation, especially grass, will look bad.

ATI HD4870 1GB. Is transparency AA really so bad that increasing the resolution is more efficient? :(

This is with transparency AA on "multi-sampling". I guess I can forget about super-sampling because that would surely be worse.

So due to the strange performance hit of AA I disable it and use 125% 3D res instead. But for non-transparent edges it doesn't look quite as good.

Maddmatt:

I wondered some pages back about that as well. When you have an object (your unit for example) and look at him from 3d person and have it in this order: Your unit - smoke - background. Then you get that nasty artifacts around your object wich is kind of transparent pixels close to the edges. They are still there when the backdrop is the sky, but not there when the ground is the backdrop. Now im not sure if it is like that even in the 1.04 or if it was improved in this beta? And therefor more heavy.

Not sure though. Have to test when i get home from work. I had superb improvement though switching to the latest drivers myself and everything is super smooth. Im using normal AA atm.

EDIT:

Steakslim: I can't comment on the fixed audio issue for startup sounds and such

Well i can mate. :) The startup/shutdown sounds are definatelly fixed! Tested last night when i turned a heli off and got amazed when the sound stayed at its source.

However we have still to get explosions etc to stay at their sources (my signature) - but i believe in BIS even more now that they will be able to fix that.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Maddmatt:

I wondered some pages back about that as well. When you have an object (your unit for example) and look at him from 3d person and have it in this order: Your unit - smoke - background. Then you get that nasty artifacts around your object wich is kind of transparent pixels close to the edges. They are still there when the backdrop is the sky, but not there when the ground is the backdrop. Now im not sure if it is like that even in the 1.04 or if it was improved in this beta? And therefor more heavy.

I didn't look for that. Probably still there though. I think it's just a limitation of the way the game handles shadows.

Not sure though. Have to test when i get home from work. I had superb improvement though switching to the latest drivers myself and everything is super smooth. Im using normal AA atm.

Yes well you have an Nvidia card. For some reason ArmA 2 just kills ATI cards when it comes to AA. 125% 3D res gives just a little bit less of an FPS hit than low AA + transparency AA on multisampling.

So even though my card is supposed to be way more powerful than your 8800, I can't get decent performance with anything more than low AA.

Maybe I could disable transparency AA but then it just looks terrible and I'd rather use 3D res at 125%.

I guess it's not a major complaint. The game still looks and runs great, but I do wish I could use proper AA just to have it look and run a bit better.

Woaaagh, looks like loads of improvements have been made, tbh my major complaint regarding the game running like crap was the stuttering and dodgy textures, so if this is now fixed, i will probably be a happy chappy :D

Cant wait for the retail patch now, i am almost tempted to try one of the betas tbh!

Woaaagh, looks like loads of improvements have been made, tbh my major complaint regarding the game running like crap was the stuttering and dodgy textures, so if this is now fixed, i will probably be a happy chappy :D

Cant wait for the retail patch now, i am almost tempted to try one of the betas tbh!

Why not try it? The betas won't overwrite your original 1.04. They create a separate beta folder in your Arma2 directory which is basically used as a mod. You can switch between stock 1.04 and a beta any time. :)

If you rename the beta folders you can even have several different betas installed simultaneously. Interesting for testing purposes.

I don't know if anyone is experiencing the same thing but online play is not so smooth, major stuttering and character skipping! is this a server lag? i have high speed internet (cable not wireless), game issue, computer issue? Last night i was in a Humvee as a gunner and i couldn't shoot one damn thing let alone couldn't even focus because of stuttering, skipping and pauses it really does ruin the online experience.

the latest beta patch works fine. No Y lag and satisfying fps.

I still have same type of mouse lag on X on multiplayer if gametype includes any AI. Very very annoing.