Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

First time trying beta. Quite impressed. Loading near towns really improved. But still - towns are huge fps killers. It just cuts at least half of fps. I know, v-sync does that thing.

Yes, there are tools that forces v-sync off. But I have huge problem with arma. Every time when I start it, there are little white flickering squares on screen. If I change AA or resolution to other setting and back, it dissappears, but also dissappears v-sync "fix". So I can't rely on those 3rd party utilities.

Is there any chance that BIS in some beta patch will make v-sync as option in video settings?

And... As much as I looked in issue tracker, I couldn't find any issue about multiplayer performance. I don't know why on multiplayer fps so much lower than on single player. Even at places where I'm only with few players around. Mostly near buildings or sandbag "bases".

Oh, and grass layer. First time I see how it works. Much better than before.

Overall, I'm very happy that BIS is working in right direction. Keep on with good job. I'm still hoping for more performance fixes.

1.4.0.59857 Beta vs. Steam 1.4.0.59026

02beta.th.jpg 02104.th.jpg

I notice less LOD switching and less "Streaming stutters" tho worse overall performance.

Water seems to be a performance killer, more of it, less FPS with Beta, while current Steam version does not exhibit that problem. Beta left, Retail right again.

01beta.th.jpg 01104.th.jpg

C2D E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI HD4850

WinXP + Latest Drivers

with the latest beta patch I have a weird lag on mouse at y axis... wtf?

I'm getting an error or two with the new patch.

One short cut to the patch gives this error :-

error compliling pixel shader PSTreeAdv:0

A second short cut to the patch gives this error :-

no entry '.profilePathDefault'.

followed by Arma2 has encountered a problem ect.

The odd thing is that the short cut pats are exactly the same as far as I can see.

"J:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\beta\arma2.exe"

The really weird thing is it did run once and I checked the version number in game which was correct.

I have done a fresh install and updated drivers with the same result.

Oh I did feel some mouse lag which I've never had before.

I'm getting an error or two with the new patch.

One short cut to the patch gives this error :-

error compliling pixel shader PSTreeAdv:0

A second short cut to the patch gives this error :-

no entry '.profilePathDefault'.

followed by Arma2 has encountered a problem ect.

The odd thing is that the short cut pats are exactly the same as far as I can see.

The really weird thing is it did run once and I checked the version number in game which was correct.

I have done a fresh install and updated drivers with the same result.

Oh I did feel some mouse lag which I've never had before.

i thought i read somewhere to rename your cfg file so arma would create a new one, as with regards to mouse lag, have you played with mouse smooth option?

i thought i read somewhere to rename your cfg file so arma would create a new one, as with regards to mouse lag, have you played with mouse smooth option?

Thanks it wasn't cfg but my profile that needed to be deleted but you put me on the right track.

It also fixed my mouse lag I think.

DAMN spoke to soon I loaded an old beta, still the same problem with the latest patch

Edited by F2k Sel

Oppps first test was with false betapatch... with the new one i got the same error like SMERSH

8dab142b5378.jpg

Regards Culti

Change shortcut "start in" to "J:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2"

Ok... the poblem was, that i added the -mod=beta to my standard-ArmA2 icon... which i could do with the latest betapatches.. so now i have to add my modlines to the ArmA2 Beta Launch icon... so thx for help.. testing now... ;)

I'm attempting to launch a version of Armagh ARMA2_Build_59857, error and the game does not start.

8dab142b5378t.jpg

just launch it like you should (don't forget to load the beta folder, or just use my tool, and make a modset that has beta folder and use that for launch)

well what a great beta!. Yes it does loose me 12fps~ relative to the 59210, when looking over water. BUT it doesn't have that insane stutter when loading up the cache!. Where you would (especially with 4000vd) have to do a 360 turn or two, to get it smooth, and where it can happen in the big citys when you get a new view on a street/looking at the Mtns. Its all smooth now. Absolutely awesome! Not sure if we need kju's proper_mods now. More testing for that. Thnx Bis.

ATi 9.10, and the 59857, best A2 yet!

Ps; no mouse lag for me, just great since the last betas or so and the GPU render ahead. its all wow no!

Edited by kklownboy

I sorted mine now, I'd forgot to use the "Launch Arma2 Beta Patch" short cut.

I have quite a slow PC and using Arma2Mark it,s now running quite a bit slower.

Latest build is great. Finally grass layer :) The editor, although somewhat better, is still quite fubar'ed wrt alt-tabbing in windowed mode.

I sorted mine now, I'd forgot to use the "Launch Arma2 Beta Patch" short cut.

I have quite a slow PC and using Arma2Mark it,s now running quite a bit slower.

If you can, it is now the time to upgrade. Best H/W for sale is relatively cheap and the game is at its best todate.

First of all, this Beta is looking great. Now with this latest beta patch (Beta patch build 59857) I also seem to have my stutters problems (specially when flying but not only) solved.

I have an ATi 4850 with Cat 9.9 drivers.

I also enjoyed the fact that now the Helicopters also have the analog thorttle But BIS please notice that your throttle system as you current have implemented in not nearly realistic! The Throttle Axis should cover the an entire joystick throttle physical axis (I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar) and not only half of the axis as we currently have. And also there shouldn't be a Brake Axis! Real aircraft trend to have "digital" brake control with on/off positions or to be more accurate with extended/retracted positions. So instead of having an axis for the brake we should have a button instead, that sets the brake to on (extended) and to off (retracted) positions!

I said this earlier, but BIS, the current throttle system that you have (with throttle and brake axis in the same joystick axis) is a throttle system that we see in ground vehicles (automobiles, trucks, armored vehicles, etc...) and definitly not for aircraft (either fixed-wing or helicopters).

So you should consider to implement this throttle system as it is in ground vehicles while modifying this same throttle system so that the throttle axis covers an entire joystick axis and the brake is set by a button for fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters.

Looks like water/shore FPS drop related issues will be fixed in a future build.

Water and shore rendering was done twice since revision 59219.

Fixed in 59870

i'm looking into it ...

Switching from lowest antialiasing to no antialiasing:

Beta 59857 - 124FPS <- lowest AA

Beta 59857 - 162FPS <- no AA

MfG Lee

I can't install it. Says my versions is 1.03. I have the steam version and the properties even show it is at 1.04.

Ooopss! I got it now. I had to delete a previous beta directory.

Edited by Punisher5555

Looks like water/shore FPS drop related issues will be fixed in a future build.

well that just awesome! Go Suma!

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

I can't install it. Says my versions is 1.03. I have the steam version and the properties even show it is at 1.04.
delete any beat folder you have. or go into the beta folder and use the uninstaller.

Latest build is great. Finally grass layer :) The editor, although somewhat better, is still quite fubar'ed wrt alt-tabbing in windowed mode.

So, now NPCs can't see other NPCs (or me) if they're (I'm) prone in the grass? :D

Edited by otreblA_SNAKE_[ITA]

New patch, that's great!

First test, not saying this patch is good or bad.

Starting ArmA2, no addons, startup paramter: -world=empty

Beta 59210 - 188FPS

Beta 59857 - 124FPS

MfG Lee

thats the water issue.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Switching from lowest antialiasing to no antialiasing:

Beta 59857 - 124FPS <- lowest AA

Beta 59857 - 162FPS <- no AA

MfG Lee

that seems reasonable to me?

just tried the patch, to be honest it actually is way worse for me, the fps dropped a huge amount, and even though i never had the greatest fps to begin with, this just made it even worse, so ill be going back to the older beta i used which is 59210, not sure why the fps is lower now, but it is, unfortunetly im getting tired of tweaking this game, but i hope for one day that its more playable for me, or ill just have to upgrade my hardware.