Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

not sure why the fps is lower now

I would guess it's the Grass Layer...

I'm not sure how they do that, but if it represents a duplicate of the ground surface with transparent textures and culling planes it must cost in CPU/GPU power.

Edited by EricM

;1477067']So' date=' now NPCs can't see other NPCs (or me) if they're (I'm) prone in the grass? :D[/quote']

It's always been that way. It's just that there was no visual indication for the player.

Nice to see the grasslayer system back, without the graphical problems it had in the first ArmA :)

I dislike the fact that it only 'activates' when the soldier is prone though. I think it should always be active, you shouldn't have a clear view of their feet when they are standing or crouched.

The damage system improvements are a great addition. I guess they will only be working properly in the final patch since the betas don't include the files that are necessary to add/change the config parameters.

I only experience noticeably lower FPS when water is around (compared to non-beta). All other times it feels smoother. Been playing all evening with some buddies.

Three thumbs up.

The analogue throttle on helicopters feels a lot better now, to me at least, it feels like i have a LOT more control. However, as said already by someone else, the 0-50% section of the throttle is useless, giving us the full range of the throttle - 0-100% - to actually use for throttle control would allow for even more precision, and be more towards how it should be according to RL.

Edited by TimRiceSE

If water is rendered twice that really makes any FPS comparisions pointless, best wait for next version before doing that.

I think I like the new (non)blur in the center when aiming:

th_39806_arma2_2009-10-30_21-53-27-19_122_19lo.jpg

BTW I still have this little problem ... after starting the game the postprocessing looks like it's set to 'low' even though it's set to 'high'. I always have to reset it (to low and then back to high) to make it look like high.

EDIT: setting HDRPrecision=32 seems to have fixed it

I like the hitpoints system improvement. I let 10 soldiers empty their guns into a t90 and not a scratch. :yay:

Edited by IronTrooper

Just tested the beta,not perfect,but getting better,needs more work on video pausing.FPS is some places much better,but on top of church(chernorgorsk) and spinning around still lags in FPS...

...I still have this little problem ... after starting the game the postprocessing looks like it's set to 'low' even though it's set to 'high'. I always have to reset it (to low and then back to high) to make it look like high....
try setting your HDR to 16 or 32;

HDRPrecision=32;

in the arma2.cfg

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

If water is rendered twice that really makes any FPS comparisions pointless, best wait for next version before doing that.
well it not pointless comparing the water...

Okay, fuck this. Just... fuck this. When I try to run the damn thing, I get a message telling me that "ArmA 2 is not installed on your computer, or installation is corrupted." I have tried to run the uninstall, and deleted the old beta folder. Nothing works.

Fuck this.

did u move your arma 2 folder after installation by chance? if so u either need to move it back to its original location or edit your registry to reflect its current location

just tried the patch, to be honest it actually is way worse for me, the fps dropped a huge amount, and even though i never had the greatest fps to begin with, this just made it even worse, so ill be going back to the older beta i used which is 59210, not sure why the fps is lower now, but it is, unfortunetly im getting tired of tweaking this game, but i hope for one day that its more playable for me, or ill just have to upgrade my hardware.
well thats the issue then, your rig is under powered for the display and settings you use... BUT i see suma has the water fix in the next(?) beta.

The "out of memory" crashes are still there :(

And as said before: LOD switching is less, but overall performance went down.

Nice to see the grasslayer system back, without the graphical problems it had in the first ArmA :)

I dislike the fact that it only 'activates' when the soldier is prone though. I think it should always be active, you shouldn't have a clear view of their feet when they are standing or crouched.

Is it actually a layer, or is it the ground level reference on the prone model being dynamically adjusted? The latter approach might explain why there's no big performance hit. If that is the case, can't the adjustment be applied to standing and crouched AI and vehicles for consistency?

Edited by ACF

Can we have a thread with something like "Beta patch troubleshooting FAQ" and put all the obvious things there, so this thread doesn't get cluttered with "I get this error" every page?

Overall the patch seems to bring all things we have been asking for the most, which is a great gesture :D

And have to agree with zyklone, fps comparisons are worthless until next beta, so hold your horses.

is it just me or does the AI tend to wallhack a lot more now? They are totally ignoring any spawned currogated fences over here, and I'm quite sure, they didn't do it (at least not that obvious and frequent) before this beta-patch.

This may apply to editor-placed and/or script-spawned objects only.

is it just me or does the AI tend to wallhack a lot more now? They are totally ignoring any spawned currogated fences over here, and I'm quite sure, they didn't do it (at least not that obvious and frequent) before this beta-patch.

This may apply to editor-placed and/or script-spawned objects only.

what about create example mission and post it on CIT ?

what about create example mission and post it on CIT ?

The example mission would have been ready already (I'm working on recursively generated and populated mazes/rooms), but it turns out, that this is not reproducable. I double-checked my claims only to find out, that this time, the walls/fences were respected (they even look for openable doors and are able to use them.. really fine!).. So, either I'll be able isolate the problem or there is no point in posting this (yet/here)...

I'm absolutely sure that I ran the new beta prior to this test and that they wallhacked like hell. I reloaded again and again (since I have always a different maze, but no mather what, they wallhacked..).. And now it is fine again, using the same beta (no mods). Though I can't explain it.

Is it possible, that wallhacking occurs more often (or at all) if not enough cpu power is available to find a better path? Like in, if we have time/power to calculate a better path for the AI, we do it. If we run out of time, we may need to wallhack??

Well, until I can reproduce this behaviour, I better won't claim anything is broken ;)

Edited by ruebe

Great ! New patch :D

I`m wating for 1.05 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great improvement for me, TY. Hope to see this official soon so we can use it in MP.

Good:

-Grass layer is cool

-Buildings load faster and make for a smoother experience in towns

Bad:

-Performance seems lower

-Water lag from previous beta hasn't been fixed

-Enabling anti aliasing still causes trees to kill performance

Edited by randir14

I also noticed that with latest beta the bolt animations for AK variants are too slow as if on slow motion

[edit]

I was wrong... nothing was changed with the bold anim. It's just that the bold anim is tied with cfgAiSkill reloadSpeed. I set it too low, thats why the bolt anim is in slow mo.

Edited by Mr_Centipede

still not a single mention of them fixing arma's inability to correctly identify the amount of ram on peoples gfx cards.... :(

couldn't test the patch yet

Do M203 grenades and HE rounds still explode when they hit twigs and leaves?

because thats just pathetic when in real life a 40mm grenade is capable to penetrate a car's door without blowing up

thats the water issue.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

that seems reasonable to me?

25% FPS loss for doing lowest AA on a water surface?

MfG Lee

I may have just missed this before because I always play as USMC. When I was playing with a NAPA group today with this new beta, when they confirmed kills they said what enemy type they killed.

ie "Enemy Machinegunner successfully engaged"

never seen this before. is it new? or specific to certain factions?

Sarge;1477435']couldn't test the patch yet

Do M203 grenades and HE rounds still explode when they hit twigs and leaves?

because thats just pathetic when in real life a 40mm grenade is capable to penetrate a car's door without blowing up

That's not quite true - I remember one firefight in Afghanistan where one of my friends tried to shoot an HE round from his M203A1 grenadelauncher over a dried out riverbed - it exploded on impact with the tree line on the other side.

Video proof is here:

you can just make out the explosion in the tree line at around 0:41 - 0:42 Edited by Schurer