Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

I was thinking, given the emphasis BI seem to be putting on rooftops/balconies in the new maps (judging by the screenshots), maybe we can hope for AI that deals better with hard cover? At the moment they have a very annoying habit of going prone behind walls and ledges and staying prone, instead of kneeling/standing and shooting over them.

This has been a problem since ArmA 1 (and probably OFP) and was often seen on Avgani. But seeing as BI are basically making their own Avgani-style maps with a lot of roofs and second-storeys perhaps they'll work on the AI so that they behave more intelligently?

We can hope :)

Hvae you tried the beta-patches? it seems when behind low walls, they will crouch and return fire... go prone when suppressed(I think, or maybe just random).. but they will crouch when behind wall to fire

What would be amazingly cool, and a total suprise, would be if AI and you, actually had animations for taking cover behind walls and objects. I would love to interactive with the environment like i did in rainbow six vegas, only without the 3rd person(optional)!

Seeing the video of OA and the FLIR was great. And i wonder if they will make tyres go hot as well after you drive around for a while? Saw some video footage the other day where a helicopter was filming with WHOT/BHOT in UK - cold outside lol. But the tyres of cars been driving for a while had hot wheels. It was very bright/black on the FLIR.

Not really a biggie, but just throwing it out there. Maybe BIS FLIR guy thaught he was done - now you got some more work mate. :D

Alex

I was thinking, given the emphasis BI seem to be putting on rooftops/balconies in the new maps (judging by the screenshots), maybe we can hope for AI that deals better with hard cover? At the moment they have a very annoying habit of going prone behind walls and ledges and staying prone, instead of kneeling/standing and shooting over them.

Maybe you need to change the enemy AI settings. When I use the Random House Patrol Script and set enemy waypoint orders to 'destroy' the enemy AI immediately engages my forces upon sight, will only drop prone or completely behind cover whilst under accurate suppression fire but will quickly re-engage my forces several seconds after suppresion fire ceases, usually from a kneeling position if they are behind the cover of a small wall like those found on Avgani rooftops. I can post some gameplay footage if you would like to see how the enemy AI behaves when using those settings.

I really hope that the lighting part of the engine gets an improvement, those spot-light looks horrible, I know they dont cost alot in terms of performance but seriously maybe we can have an option???

The game would look incredible if the lighting engine was updated.

Texture Streaming, Improved LOD Scaling especially while zooming in.

Caching textures/objects on local RAM, BIS alot of people have more than 2 GB of RAM now. :o

I got 8.190 GB RAM

Improved textures, more textures, more of those awesome Parrellax mapped textures.

Better skydomes, more animated skies, small details like Jet Contrails etc.

Improved vehicle physics/handling, beta patch is nice but take it even farther.

Some type of ragdoll physics, nothing over the top but some simple stuff like collision, ragdoll deaths, and destruction.

More polished Interface and MP Lobby.

Better compression of Music and Sound Effects, I heard the music suffered in quality because of the compression.

Special effects improvement, multi frame muzzle flashes.

Support of 64Bit and 8GB RAM!!!!!!!

More weather and Heavier rain storms, overcast etc.

AI, to use everything available to them, vehicles, statics, ammo crates, enter buildings, and have a reaction time so they aren't crazy accurate and fast, AI more independant with less babysitting and scripting.

Please try to expand the game alittle on all fronts even though its an expansion if you do well i know alot of people that would buy the game and Arma 2.

Agreed with everything you said. Need ... shadows ... so ... much. I hate to think of what those flashlights will look like :(

I really hope that the lighting part of the engine gets an improvement, those spot-light looks horrible, I know they dont cost alot in terms of performance but seriously maybe we can have an option???

The game would look incredible if the lighting engine was updated.

Texture Streaming, Improved LOD Scaling especially while zooming in.

Caching textures/objects on local RAM, BIS alot of people have more than 2 GB of RAM now. :o

I got 8.190 GB RAM

Improved textures, more textures, more of those awesome Parrellax mapped textures.

Better skydomes, more animated skies, small details like Jet Contrails etc.

Improved vehicle physics/handling, beta patch is nice but take it even farther.

Some type of ragdoll physics, nothing over the top but some simple stuff like collision, ragdoll deaths, and destruction.

More polished Interface and MP Lobby.

Better compression of Music and Sound Effects, I heard the music suffered in quality because of the compression.

Special effects improvement, multi frame muzzle flashes.

Support of 64Bit and 8GB RAM!!!!!!!

More weather and Heavier rain storms, overcast etc.

AI, to use everything available to them, vehicles, statics, ammo crates, enter buildings, and have a reaction time so they aren't crazy accurate and fast, AI more independant with less babysitting and scripting.

Please try to expand the game alittle on all fronts even though its an expansion if you do well i know alot of people that would buy the game and Arma 2.

I disagree on the ragdoll thing as any ragdoll engine eats a lot of processing and that i dont want to happen. I would rather live with an occasional floating corpse than FPS drops every time i kill some1 (dot even et me started on flying bodies hollywood style)

Agreed on the memory handling and that would be my primary wish. Just do the best you can BIS about it /fingers crossed.

And i also disagree at the reaction time point of the AIs, i actually like that an AI guarding a corner with a heavy machinegun destroys you the very secnd you lean out, just as human player/real soldier would do. I woud like to see the AI troops being much more affected by their skill setting in edior tho (eg. some1 with setSkill 0 should be literally complete N00b - spraying panicking and stuff someone with 0.5 should be normal person and some1 with 1.0 should be nothing less than a freaking terminator with aimbot installed. (offtopic: Dont you think its kinda silly that in all the Terminator movies the machines have terrible aim for a computer controlled program? Skynet could really learn from Armas AI how to pull out long-range headshots on moving targets while being affected by real world ballistics :)

Ragdoll doesn't use much cpu does it? The thing is, it needs to be meshed with animations, so the first part of the death is animation and then it transfers to ragdoll, anyone who's played Mount and Blade will know what I'm talking about :) Smooth transitions and nice wobbly collisions.

I agree though, no Hollywood, realism always looks the most awesome in the end anyway.

I wrote a little aticle in the STI Stryker Pack and ACE2 treats about passenger seats wich I think i quite relevant here as well since OA are gonne contain Strykers...

See it for ya self... :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1496948&postcount=37

Why is it certain to contain Strykers? The soldiers depicted in every single screenshot are from the 82nd Abn, who do not have Strykers. Of course, there's nothing stopping BI from adding them, it just wouldn't make any sense.

Why is it certain to contain Strykers, you ask? Because BIS mentions them specifically in the feature sheet for OA.

http://www.arma2.com/arrowhead/arr-download/Arrowhead-Features-webA472dpi.pdf

They also mention Bradleys, and there are pics of M1s as well. At any rate, it is not particularly nonsensical to have Strykers as well as airborne soldiers in the same game. It's not as if the US only deploys one type of formation per war, after all, and we have probably not seen pictures of all of the types of US soldiers in the game just yet.

after all, and we have probably not seen pictures of all of the types of US soldiers in the game just yet.

Speaking of which, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have some fresh news on the expansion...

Speaking of which, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have some fresh news on the expansion...

This, very much this lol.

Does anyone know if the maps for ArmA 2 OA has been released? If so. Where can I view it?

err.. no?

I agree... it has been a bit of a drought.

ahaa... they're must be updating the site with new layout or something... just like when we're waiting for ARMA2... some page will go off the grid, then back up with new infos...

but pls dont quote me on that... I was just merely speculating. though I do hope I'm right.. check back tomorrow folks :D

I wants update, with ingame videos and screenshots. :)

I want those table scraps BIS! ;)

+1

I think, all would want some videos and updates :yay: