Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Will the story be like OFP CWC's storyline? I found ArmA II's really bland and I liked how inside OFP CWC you did a lot of broad things. I mean like the opening cinematic where it shows your squad in a house listening to the radio on the news was pretty immersible. I mean like OFP CWC had the feeling like OH SHIT war is about to break out while inside ArmA II it feels like a small task that you have to do. Here's hoping ArmA II's campaign is more like OFP CWC's campaign.

Agree with Heatseeker. I don't care so much how it looks. Keeping in mind that a shitload of animations will have to be read from disk, further slowing thigs down, it's not something I really want.

Improving the tactical value of it, such as slowing down some animations compared to others, and putting down some of the heavies for a reaload, makes more sense. Slow animations must be able to break out of though (such as a slow M240 or SMAW reload, definately not while running).

However, I really must admit that the MH60L gunnery animations looked very sweet.

Nah, unless you are refering to vbs2 the reloading thing in vbs1 is far from true.

I honestly dont care about the look of the animations, i just think the timings should be diferent, i'd like to see someone reload a M240 on the run or as fast as a MP5 ;) .

Agree with Heatseeker. I don't care so much how it looks. Keeping in mind that a shitload of animations will have to be read from disk, further slowing thigs down, it's not something I really want.

Improving the tactical value of it, such as slowing down some animations compared to others, and putting down some of the heavies for a reaload, makes more sense. Slow animations must be able to break out of though (such as a slow M240 or SMAW reload, definately not while running).

However, I really must admit that the MH60L gunnery animations looked very sweet.

Agreed.

Reloading an M249 while jogging in 2 seconds is not realism BIS. :rolleyes:

Anyways I thought one thing that was awesome from OFP DR was having to put the weapons together maybe BIS could do that for only the launchers that would balance them out alittle more, they suffer from the same problem, reloading too quickly especially a Javelin! :eek:

Maybe not Individual animations for each weapon like you guys said that could slow the game down more, but have maybe 2 animations for each genre of weapons, 2 for pistols, 2 for Assault Rifles, 2 for Heavy Weapons, 2 for Launchers etc.

That would add that immersive feel when holding and operating these weapons right now they feel as stiff as a piece of brittle. :o

BIS can you maybe change a few of the sound effects and textures on some of the weapons they look weird even at 125 3D res.

Anyways I thought one thing that was awesome from OFP DR was having to put the weapons together maybe BIS could do that for only the launchers that would balance them out alittle more, they suffer from the same problem, reloading too quickly especially a Javelin! :eek:

There is one thing we need to think about when requesting additional animations, especially the long ones (reloading AT weapons) - since the animations are not rag-doll-based and recorded as a complete sequence that can't be interrupted, you would experience very weird things when killed while reloading the launcher. Have you ever seen an ArmA2 player get shot while moving across an obstacle? Right, his texture changes to "bloody", but the character continues to complete the jumping sequence, then he stands still for a sec and then dies.

Unless those complicated sequences are separated into parts (e.g. putting the launcher on the ground, attach this, attach that, insert a rocket, etc) so you could insert a dying animation between them, you could see a lot of dead soldiers assembling their launchers for 15 (?) seconds... while dead aleardy.. and talk about killing immersion, when you don't know whether he's dead or not.

There is one thing we need to think about when requesting additional animations, especially the long ones (reloading AT weapons) - since the animations are not rag-doll-based and recorded as a complete sequence that can't be interrupted, you would experience very weird things when killed while reloading the launcher. Have you ever seen an ArmA2 player get shot while moving across an obstacle? Right, his texture changes to "bloody", but the character continues to complete the jumping sequence, then he stands still for a sec and then dies.

Unless those complicated sequences are separated into parts (e.g. putting the launcher on the ground, attach this, attach that, insert a rocket, etc) so you could insert a dying animation between them, you could see a lot of dead soldiers assembling their launchers for 15 (?) seconds... while dead aleardy.. and talk about killing immersion, when you don't know whether he's dead or not.

Never knew that was the reason why sometimes I follow over reloading my weapon, I don't know how it works I just want some improvement like Heatseeker and Vilas said mainly just reload timings, BIS needs to start caching more of the game into RAM that would make good use of my 8GB, cache the Trees,plants,water and animations and I'll have a really crisp experience!

New Ideas for Arrowhead

BIS can you make every object in the game have its unique image that is to scale with the world that would be a HUGE improvement by itself in the Editor.

Multi frame special effects would be cool, like muzzle flashes,

HALO Jumping Module for OA!!

Improved Warfare mode its a cool concept, please dont put it in Single player though BIS!

Weapon Loadout tab in Editor more options for units like Respawn tickboxes, awareness, start in position etc.

Integration of JTD fire and smoke Mod would be sweet!

More customization options in Player Profile, Gloves, Helmets etc nothing not realistic though.

Snow??

Real Vehicle Damage system??

Attack Dogs? Playable Attack dogs?

More sweet details that make the towns look like they had life there, some advertisements, stores, not all overgrown completely desolate places!

Jets and Helos Countermeasures??

New Voice actors that are serious and don't make themselves look like complete retards. :o

More Scenario missions with more variety like Air missions, Recons, Assassinations, Night raids and Convoy ambushes! 12+ missions

Improved Sound effects and 3D Models for weapons, Higher Polycounts and more detailed textures, serial numbers, scratches, visible imprints for Fire modes, warnings extra adds that extra level of detail!

Im out of breathe well since BIS got the Engine and the game out and they just got to enhance it hopefully we will see alot of content in the expansion as well with less problems since the Programmers won't be rushed to get everything in so they can meet there deadline. :yay:

Im really looking forward to this since OFP DR was such a FLOP.

BIS can you make every object in the game have its unique image that is to scale with the world that would be a HUGE improvement by itself in the Editor.

Would be great with icons matching. Would be even greater if the 3D editor was finished and locked up. However when you zoom the icons in the editor stays the same. Hard to know how big an object is or where its placed for that matter. Hoping for the 3D editor to be done some day. Maybe in OA?

EDIT: UAV

Just played the Manhattan mission in the campagin. Funny mission for sure, but i was brutally reminded of how bad the UAV is for the player. I remember hearing about getting UAV's in ARMA2 and i saw before me some friend taking that role as a UAV intel guy giving the rest information on movement and targets etc. The UAV in ARMA2 works great as an AI unit, but for the player... :(

I just hope BIS gets 3,5 things into the UAV in OA wich will make it much much better. Not talking about adding super stuff here (except 1 update wich i think will get there anyway), but just these 3,5 things:

1. Step by step zoom - instead of having to hold to zoom max & then release and the zoom goes all way back (like now). Max zoom or Min. Very frustrating!

2. Stabilized camera - "lockable" to the ground and/or vehicles (implement the realistic one(s)). But some stabilizer/lock badly needed. Super hard to see anything now when it moves and moves and...

3. VBS FLIR - the super update. Hopefully implemented anyway. :)

3,5. More powerful zoom - so we actually can see stuff without having to get down to tree top level. It gets shot out of the sky too easy otherwise.

To me this would make the UAV as good as it gets. It could be made even better ofcourse - but this is enough IMO for the game, and for being functional for players. Maybe this is hoping for too much though. I know. Lots of things we hoped for that didnt make it fully. With things like javelins for example lacking even a realistic image in the optics i have learned now to be careful about getting too excited. That is one of many that was made half way. And if the Javelin couldnt even get a single image in the optics im afraid 3,5 things extra in the UAV might be asking for way too much. I hope im wrong ofcourse. And there is even more important things to get fixed than this, but i hope those are really taken care of, and i just wanted to add this as i see it as a wasted and very cool resource - player wise.

That Manhattan mission is superb and would have been so much funnier and immersive if i had any use of the UAV scouting the area of operations. Seeing some hidden base and then plan the action to take it out. The reality is - i didnt see a single thing from the UAV. Got angry as hell and just shut it down after 20 minutes of flying back and forth.

Anyway. Looking forward to hear more about OA. Now its back to hunt Chedakis in Cherna. :)

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Obviously not. Becuase if there is - it will be posted here. ;)

Obviously not. Becuase if there is - it will be posted here. ;)

Not always.

does anyone know if there will be PMCs aviable in Arrowhead?

I think that would be an good basis for SP - missions and small campaigns.

even for MP-missions I would say.

I was just having another look around Povrly (real Chenarus) in google earth. Here's some pics for anyone who has not seen it :

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/25542452.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/12899895.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/3696270.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/25542496.jpg

Are they basing the terrain of OA on some real world terrain also? It would be cool if they told us where to look, or the general area, on google earth so we could have a look around. :)

Are they basing the terrain of OA on some real world terrain also? It would be cool if they told us where to look, or the general area, on google earth so we could have a look around. :)

I've been searching a lot in a map of Afghanistan and finally gave up and asked W0lle. He told me he'd ask the devs if they had time.. and I believe it is no surprise they have not much of it.

I'd say it's about time we get some update though, the past few weeks have been very info-dry.

does anyone know if there will be PMCs aviable in Arrowhead?

I think that would be an good basis for SP - missions and small campaigns.

even for MP-missions I would say.

What is with peoples obsession with PMCs? why?! :mad:

Makes me glad that it seems there will be no PMC in OA

A shooting-out-of-the-window would be a mandatory feature needed if there were to be PMCs.

But honestly, I dont see the attraction of PMC in gameplay terms. Who would want to play the battlefields mall cop?

Unless they are mercenaries, and I think we got enough of that kind in QG. The same goes for special forces.

Edited by sparks50

More weapon variants, night ops SCAR whatnot.

3D Editor fully released would be awesome, some work on the editor, to scale object icons (seperate icons for each item) Distance tool, layers, Hide selected, Weapon Loadout tab, more modules, more options for units, Respawn, state of perception (being asleep IE)

Higher Polygon Models from BIS and more detailed and higher resolution textures for stuff like weapons, uniforms, etc I like little details like seeing the serial numbers, scratches, manufacture engravings etc. :)

Vehicle Physics improvement and more death animations!

A shooting-out-of-the-window would be a mandatory feature needed if there were to be PMCs.

But honestly, I dont see the attraction of PMC in gameplay terms. Who would want to play the battlefields mall cop?

Unless they are mercenaries, and I think we got enough of that kind in QG. The same goes for special forces.

Maybe the attraction is more of atmospheric nature. Just because you see so much stuff about PMCs in the media. so it would be nice if they would show up in OA. Not even as a playable part of the campain but just to see them driving convoys or guarding some compounds or stuff like that which would round up the whole story.

And since contractors can have an "adventurer"- like reputation to some and since they can be used in non typically-military missions they would be nice for mission editors.

I am not talking about an QG revival Im just asking for an additional facet in the picture of modern war regions.

shooting-out-of-the-window option would indeed be great!

another thing: I always wonder why the secondary weapon has to be a rocket launcher style weapon. why cant it be another rifle? I think i have seen snipers carrying an additional assault rifle for backup. so that would be nice to freely choose which type the secondary weapon is.

excuse my poor english.

Edited by Harulf
spelling mistake

3D Editor fully released would be awesome, some work on the editor, to scale object icons (seperate icons for each item) Distance tool, layers, Hide selected, Weapon Loadout tab, more modules, more options for units, Respawn, state of perception (being asleep IE)

Some of the above will most welcome i guess, would give an easier interface fr ppl who can't write some scripts to substitude...

Higher Polygon Models from BIS and more detailed and higher resolution textures for stuff like weapons, uniforms, etc I like little details like seeing the serial numbers, scratches, manufacture engravings etc. :)

LOL....BIS already have the highest amount of Polys per model as it is, comparing with any other game out there!... i actually hope it is not gonna happen, since that would strain even more CPU/GPU and HDD access

Some of the above will most welcome i guess, would give an easier interface fr ppl who can't write some scripts to substitude...

LOL....BIS already have the highest amount of Polys per model as it is, comparing with any other game out there!... i actually hope it is not gonna happen, since that would strain even more CPU/GPU and HDD access

They might already be High Poly but they are not modeled well, sorry BIS but every weapon coming from Robert Hammer looks 20x better than any weapon that came with A2, some nobs and stuff look like triangles when they should be eclipces and stuff like that, plus the textures on the weapons are blurry and they never have the detail which I would expect when running such a high resolution, IE Fire modes, Manufacture markings, sight distance markings etc.

I want BIS to make their weapons like Robert Hammer does with his addons. :)

And not to leave out important stuff like Interfaces for the Javelin and proper sights, like Flip up leaf sights for the M203. :o

They might already be High Poly but they are not modeled well, sorry BIS but every weapon coming from Robert Hammer looks 20x better than any weapon that came with A2, some nobs and stuff look like triangles when they should be eclipces and stuff like that, plus the textures on the weapons are blurry and they never have the detail which I would expect when running such a high resolution, IE Fire modes, Manufacture markings, sight distance markings etc.

I want BIS to make their weapons like Robert Hammer does with his addons. :)

And not to leave out important stuff like Interfaces for the Javelin and proper sights, like Flip up leaf sights for the M203. :o

We all dont have 1337 gaming rigs to run that kind of 1337 game ya know? :P

many players (me inclued) have problems even running ArmA2 on decent graphs, so no, no more detail please. I am happy the way ArmA2 models are. They can stay like that few years if they add more optimisation, then they can add polygons.

I don't remember who said it, but one community modeler said that he was able to remodel the Mk19 with the same polycount but a higher level of detail, so there's no need to add polygons, just rework the weapons that are going to be in OA (Which is not going to happen anyways because it's far too much work).

I appreciate that not everyone has a top high end rig.. but come on, because of that they shouldn't make the graphics more detailed???

Lets get real.. I eventualy got my self a better machine because AA was a bit of a slide show.. so now I've bothered my backside to save to get it, you bet they can up the graphics.. and when that can't handle the latest games and graphics, I'll save my pennies again and upgrade once more.. it's called progress!

Am hoping with the desert settings, the game wont be lagging much,

I cant wait now!!

We all dont have 1337 gaming rigs to run that kind of 1337 game ya know? :P

many players (me inclued) have problems even running ArmA2 on decent graphs, so no, no more detail please. I am happy the way ArmA2 models are. They can stay like that few years if they add more optimisation, then they can add polygons.

I don't remember who said it, but one community modeler said that he was able to remodel the Mk19 with the same polycount but a higher level of detail, so there's no need to add polygons, just rework the weapons that are going to be in OA (Which is not going to happen anyways because it's far too much work).

Better use of the models is actually what Im trying to get across like I said compare BIS m16/m4's to Robert Hammers addon, HUGE differance, I have a 3650HD 512MB I can only run the game at 100%3D res and barely get 30FPS, So I know how you feel, thankfully the new island wont consist of all vegetation and foilage, so the island will run better. I've already contact Jennik and the other BIS devs about the Tree performance problems and stuff and im assuming this will be fixed with the next patch 1.05. :)

I appreciate that not everyone has a top high end rig.. but come on, because of that they shouldn't make the graphics more detailed???

Lets get real.. I eventualy got my self a better machine because AA was a bit of a slide show.. so now I've bothered my backside to save to get it, you bet they can up the graphics.. and when that can't handle the latest games and graphics, I'll save my pennies again and upgrade once more.. it's called progress!

If alot of people cant afford to run the game, then whats the point of making one? they will be losing a lot of customers, as am sure they did with arma 2 (like me for example)

Even with the recommended system, the game still lags, something is wrong, but as I just said, lets hope with the desert settings it will run a lot smoother