Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Originally Posted by JW Custom View Post

There's no specific date but there's been guessing on early 2010, i really hope that

I doubt it, you would have seen trailers and some video footage, am thinking if its in the spring, then you have BC2 and MW2 DLC coming out, so the game wont get much attention, am thinking probably in the summer or even autumn, Arma 2 has only been out for less than a year now, so to develop a new game similar to it, am guessing it will take a bit longer

Another thing, because of the desert environment, do you guys think the game will run smoother? cause the trees and grass and forest kills the graphics and memory, am hoping my 9800gt will run it comfortably

I'm running 9800GTX and it's pretty smooth np.

If it doesn't run smoothly on medium-high settings on my 8800GTS (Which is well within the recommended specs), I'll be very, very annoyed. Since it's a standalone game BI can make changes to the engine.

..what resolution do you play at?

Depending on which version of the 8800gts you have, you may want to lower your expectations. Actually despite what version you have, i'd suggest you go ahead and lower your expectations.

@Itsme

I would assume (although I hate assuming) that BIS will make alot of great improvements to the engine, like foilage optimization, streaming improvments, caching textures maybe, and deffinetly LOD scaling rennovations. :)

Yeah since OA will take place in south asia and Takistan it should run alot smoother since it wont be a foilage mess :) Hopefully we will see some higher details in textures and shadows/lighting in OA since the game wont have to constantly render a hundred plus trees on screen.

Seeing how hardly anything came out of OA except a few pieces of info and some backstory I wont expect it to launch until mid autumn and if were lucky June-September

OA will be awesome though especially with more AI improvements in upcoming patches, the new engine changes for OA and the OFP CWC style campaign. Tis a game of promissing value, and hopefully by that time ACE 2x 1000 will come out :)

Edited by Flash Thunder

@ Flash Thunder

Because I got this feeling that this game is going to be the last in the Arma series, I think BIS will give it everything, so will let them take their time

If it doesn't run smoothly on medium-high settings on my 8800GTS (Which is well within the recommended specs), I'll be very, very annoyed. Since it's a standalone game BI can make changes to the engine.

Dude, do you have any idea how old that card is? It wasn't even the best card available when it came out in 2007. And now you expect it to run a game that was released in 2009? My GTX 280 gives me an average of 40 to 60 FPS. I can't see how an 8800 GTS will be able to do anything close to that.

You need a new card if you want better performance.

@ Flash Thunder

Because I got this feeling that this game is going to be the last in the Arma series, I think BIS will give it everything, so will let them take their time

Hi itsme

I think this 100% wrong. I think BIS will now start to leverage the Real Virtuality Engine; using it create masses more games based on it, not just the ArmA franchise but Sci Fi, historical, RPG and other game genres and concepts.

Properly managed and exploited the Real Virtuality Engine could take over a sizable chunk of the gaming market.

The other major thing will be the shift of the engine to the console platforms.

Kind Regards walker

Hi itsme

I think this 100% wrong. I think BIS will now start to leverage the Real Virtuality Engine; using it create masses more games based on it, not just the ArmA franchise but Sci Fi, historical, RPG and other game genres and concepts.

Properly managed and exploited the Real Virtuality Engine could take over a sizable chunk of the gaming market.

Kind Regards walker

I agree, when Arma 2 comes to consoles Ill pick it up for my Brother and myself see how many other people will, hopefully the online servers are packed, Arma 2 on 360 if done well can easily destory MW2 and other games on Online activity and hours played. Lets hope the console version gets an editor as well then we can brag it in Codemasters sad mug. :dancehead:

Where did you guys get the idea that BiS will stop making military simulators like ArmA?

Arma 2 on 360 if done well can easily destory MW2 and other games on Online activity and hours played.

Unrealistic expectations.

Those who enjoy MW2's Run'n'Gun fast paced fraghunting gameplaymost likely won't enjoy a simulator like ArmA2.

Edited by BlackLord

It has been mentioned in the past, though I can't recall where, that Operation Arrowhead could possibly be BIS' last addition to the military simulator genre. Who could blame them after 9 years of doing only that?

It has been mentioned in the past, though I can't recall where, that Operation Arrowhead could possibly be BIS' last addition to the military simulator genre. Who could blame them after 9 years of doing only that?

Proper sources or it did not happen. What I have seen is only a few forum users imagining things and then treating it like a fact.

No, I wouldn't go around saying it if I hadn't heard it before. Be my guest to search for it as it was quite a while ago, before ArmA II's release even. It has been mentioned before, but there's never been any official word on whether it's true or not. I doubt it is, ArmA II has been a great success for BIS.

It was mentioned once by some user in a ArmA II, pre-release topic. Nobody confirmed it, also it wasnt't stated in any website or so, but everybody started to believe it.

It was mentioned once by some user in a ArmA II, pre-release topic. Nobody confirmed it, also it wasnt't stated in any website or so, but everybody started to believe it.

Im pretty was either Maruk or Suma who hinted at it.

And they did already announce CC:GM so its sure they are taking a break from the ArmA series. ;)

Hi all

As pointed out I think people missaprehend the massive investment BIS have in the engine:

Hi itsme

Kind Regards walker

Exploiting that investment is what will happen with the ArmA franchise and future offshoots. I am guessing BIS will license the engine to other developers. I am am one of those who hopes the BIS will sort out a method for the allowing the ArmA MOD teams to be in in on that exploitation phase and allow them expand the commercial use of the Real Virtuality Engine (RVE).

A licensing system where MOD's can develop and sell though say steam for a percentage as well as full sold single game and sold franchis licenses would be best.

I think IF BIS got bored with the ArmA franchise and that is Big IF that BIS would then farm future campaign development out to the community in the form of a third party.

People who have not Modded ArmA do not understand its capabilities; you could literaly make any game genre you can think of using the ArmA engine.

Kind Regards walker

well they will have to make a new engine/adjustment for DX11, and the new consoles in a few years, so A3, isnt coming anytime soon. So i agree on them ramping up to use the engine in other ventures.

ITT: Wild specuuuulaaaation :P

No, I wouldn't go around saying it if I hadn't heard it before. Be my guest to search for it as it was quite a while ago, before ArmA II's release even. It has been mentioned before, but there's never been any official word on whether it's true or not. I doubt it is, ArmA II has been a great success for BIS.

I remember reading that also. I also remember that the source was credible, even if I cannot remember it right now :)

If I were to make a guess at future BIS developments, bearing in mind the above "knowledge" (such as it is) I would guess that BIS will discontinue development of the ArmA series, concentrate on developing a next-gen engine for Carrier Command, then use that new developed engine to either restart the ArmA development with new engine, or replace the ArmA series with a new, but similar, product with new engine.

when Arma 2 comes to consoles

Oooooooh... big wordsss.....

soo, any news on OA? or are BI still recovering from their new years break? :rolleyes:

I logged on and saw that this thread had grown several pages since last time i checked. "sweet!" i thought, "some actual updates!"

then the bitter disappointment that is it was just you guys chatting about phantoms and speculations

Imho Maruk or Suma said in a interview they wont make a military game like OFP/ArmA/Arma2 in the near future. If I remember correctly they even said they didnt like the genre "milsim" so much.

Lets hope the best for OA, performance and AI. :cheers:

Thought I should post this here cause its what Marek told us back than:

Armaholic:

Are the rumors true about ArmA 2 being the last public game release for BIS? If so, could you maybe give some more information?

Marek:

Now we are fully concentrating on the development of Arma2, it's hard to say what we will do after that. But be sure that we are planning future games for public gamers, not just software for the army or other official organisations alone.

Source: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2124

Is that where BIS make most of its money? selling software to the army?

Wrong thread for those questions. This is about OA.