Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

I was hoping for better helicopter landings. I guess not though.

The other helicopter seemed to make a better landing. Dunno what the deal with the player's chopper was. For a moment i was thinking he was flying using autohover while he descended.

From those new videos (ignoring the very poor upload conversion and FPS lag/interlacing and tearing) ...

Positive:

1) Clock system (thank god for that!)

2) I noticed when rolling prone it actually triggered earth scrape sounds (thank god for that!)

3) Looks lovely and the buildings really have depth to them visually.

4) Not in the last bit surprised about anims and heli drops, always thought that would be as normal.

5) Radio speech is robotic as always, and yet less pronounced in its phrases and the AI response radio calls were nice too, oh and clock system. just to mention that again :)

6) Not this video related but dynamic town creation, and all the other spoken about addition I welcome all.

Negative:

1) Some voice acting is a funny as usual "RIGHT, DOONT WWOORY IS' GONNA BE A PIECE O' CCCAAAKKKE!" .. (slomo rambo style) :)

2) Playing this type of campaign mission never interests me unless im commander really so i will use the campaign to check the visuals but not much else.

3) Hand signals still have that "Incredible Hulk Arm" effect.

4) No surprise but I cant wait to install a sound mod, clunkety clunk :)

One things for sure I still cant wait to get this and install, have all the toys, mod it to death and rape the editor and skip the entire campaign as I have done on every other Arma so far :) You may think this is all negative to a point but I know what it offers, and what I want from it, so all is good and pre-order from game is commencing.

BTW with all its engine updates and clock system etc, Im guessing we will be able to pull into it A2 content to get advantage? I say this as I would right off the bat port over everything just so I had the clock system and radio voice updates.

Edited by mrcash2009

Wow looks amazing, if it wasn't for the poor frame rate in the video it would be a 10 out of 10.

I shreaked IRL when I saw the Bradley pass by the player and it LEFT TRACKS!

They added tracks back in so awesome!

AI look pretty awesome, using the bushes for concealment and keeping a nice flowing formation, the only thing is the AI medic was still unresponsive.

Other nitpicks and cons:

When he says medic, he doesnt sound like hes in pain at all...

AI still have quircky movement

pain sound still very weird, sounds like someone climaxing just sayin :p

Anyways im totally hyped for this, if it ships with a few bugs fine hoping that BIS word is correct of them making this title alot more polished and it seems true from the footage.

at 3:43 you can see the destroyed tank switch back to its regular model, I really hate this bug

Seems like that shadow bug still in also, if you zoom or in 3rd person the shadows will get all wacky

But,

Ground textures look great and the buildings seem more visually appealing, trees still look nice but dont look like they will consume 70% of my GPU to render. :)

I hope those distant mountains are real and not apart of the skydome texture

No LOD problems from what i saw

with patch 1.06 and the upcoming largeaddressaware command using more than 2gb ram this game will be simply EPIC.

Please bring back "kick back" recoil though BIS! (Its 3rd on Devheaven feature tracker)

Edited by Flash Thunder

Please bring back "kick back" recoil though BIS!

YES! hell, even the most unrealistic games (ie call of duty, bad company 2) have this.

so.. you want the rifles to NOT have their sights zeroed? or rather... have a random zero?

Nevermind what I posted.:cool:So OA will have ability to zero a weapon?

Nevermind what I posted.:cool:So OA will have ability to zero a weapon?

Yeah it was one of the first features announced, and has been seen in some of the videos.

Yeah it was one of the first features announced, and has been seen in some of the videos.

Do you have a link to the video, All the vidoes i have seen there was no zero'ing in... :(

(ignoring the very poor upload conversion and FPS lag/interlacing and tearing)

Yes, YT has messed it up. I thought it was just the unfinished processing but as it appears it's crap even now. Except in HD...

I'll be re-uploading it tomorrow.

Do you have a link to the video, All the vidoes i have seen there was no zero'ing in... :(

One of the videos showing it is the training course preview on arma2.com

One of the videos showing it is the training course preview on arma2.com

Cheers :)

All i hope for beside the new maps being great, is engine optimizations, and AI improvements.

engine optimizations

This is currently being done with the latest beta's for Arma 2, not all improvements will ship with OA, but will most likely be introduced in the first patches if all goes well. Most notable fixes(so far it seems) will be for quad core rigs.

i have a dualcore laptop running this game, ive noticed huuuge performance increase with the latest betas.

And with less vegetation on the Takistan map, it'll be better in terms of CPU usage. But graphic memory recommendations for OA has increased, so nothing will be for certain until release and further patching i guess.

Good, my CPU is not exactly good, esspecially when it comes to large engagements on Chernarus. Graphics shouldn't be a problem for me luckily, it's just CPU that screw me over.

Also the helicopter interiors look alot more detailed in part 1.

wish there was more dynamic conversations over the coms especially on foot.

voice acting is better, "its going to be a piece of cake!" better than "HEY IM THE FUCKING BOSS HERE AND IM TELLING YOU TO SHUT UP EVERYBODY GET READY FOR THE LANDING!" :p

Music during gameplay... bad bad!

I don't mind it too much, as long as volume can be managed. For some it breaks immersion, so they can turn it off if they like. Guess what you can't do in COD :p

I love music during gameplay, especially in campaign.

in games like MGS, music during the story mode is like having sex in heaven with Megan Fox and guess what... you got multiple orgasms that can last for 20 minutes !

I don't mind it too much, as long as volume can be managed. For some it breaks immersion, so they can turn it off if they like. Guess what you can't do in COD :p

You can actually :D

Rename the folder in the mw2 folder called 'miles' to something else ;)

My post was relevant how?

Don't know...

umm, I loved the shake effects in the video; really adds to immersion :)

yo dwarden... wheres my steam pre-order... :mad:

and shake effects (@ above)?

Here's my main curiosity.

Operation Arrowhead is supposed to integrate with ArmA 2 right?

For some reason I remember reading somewhere that Takistan and Chernarus border each other on at least one side. I dunno, I think I got that off of ANN or something like that, but I could be wrong.

My question is this:

Will Chernarus add Takistan at one of its borders to replace the endless terrain that we encounter if we go off map?

More precisely, will we be able to walk from one end of Chernarus to the far end of Takistan without firing up the editor?

I'm not really expecting this feature, but you've got to admit, it would be AWESOME!

For some reason I remember reading somewhere that Takistan and Chernarus border each other on at least one side. I dunno, I think I got that off of ANN or something like that, but I could be wrong.

My question is this:

Will Chernarus add Takistan at one of its borders to replace the endless terrain that we encounter if we go off map?

More precisely, will we be able to walk from one end of Chernarus to the far end of Takistan without firing up the editor?

I'm not really expecting this feature, but you've got to admit, it would be AWESOME!

While I agree it would be a nice feature, I highly doubt that's going to happen. integrating both maps into one would create a hugely performance intensive map, and loading screens would be stupid.

My question is this:

Chernarus and Takistan share borders, however the landscape in ArmA2 was only a part of Chernarus (South Zagoria) and that part does not share borders with Takistan.