Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

If you buy any game expecting flawless AI, your going to be dissapointed, give it time.

Besides, it can't be as bad as ArmA 2's AI upon launch. I'd say this will probably be on par with how it is now in the unmodded game.

Besides, it can't be as bad as ArmA 2's AI upon launch. I'd say this will probably be on par with how it is now in the unmodded game.

And will you say that the AI have improved much since release?

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

I would hardly say Arma2 is "near its end", just because an expansion is being released. ArmA 1 was still supported with patches over two years after QG came out.

Why do people think ArmA II is near its end just because a expansion is released? BIS have already said in the FAQ that they are planning to release big DLC`s after OA is released.

Question for anyone in the know:

Has Arrowhead changed the pistol/unarmed animation or does the character still look like a complete RETARD while running?

Its a small thing, but still :p

Meaning the MP aspect of whats happened in the past where server operators are not going to up keep both Arma II and OA servers, thus why i stated the end ;) its going to one or the other, im putting my money on the one that performs better.

Meaning the MP aspect of whats happened in the past where server operators are not going to up keep both Arma II and OA servers, thus why i stated the end ;) its going to one or the other, im putting my money on the one that performs better.

Probally Arma II + Arrowhead together. :j:

Question for anyone in the know:

Has Arrowhead changed the pistol/unarmed animation or does the character still look like a complete RETARD while running?

Its a small thing, but still :p

I don't think that has changed, best thing is to laugh about it :p

There was a video with a civilian woman running, she looked kinda retarded aswell lol :D

Public servers will probably and hopefully be running on AO with vanilla Arma2 content added. About the AI... it was answered in the faq that it is the same as in the latest betas. Meaning we get a stable, polished AI but nothing new.

Pistol animation isn't fixed, I believe i've read it in Q&A section. It ruins a lot of PvP stealth missions :)

Pistol animation isn't fixed, I believe i've read it in Q&A section. It ruins a lot of PvP stealth missions :)

Or turns them into comedy gold, depending on how you look at it. ;)

Or turns them into comedy gold, depending on how you look at it. ;)

there are things that look awkward in games, but with time you start to love them. :)

According to the A2 OA review by the french magazine Canard PC N°215, note 8/10, the AI has again some weird bugs.

Extrait en français:

"Tiens, et puisqu'on parle des tirs, vous vous souvenez peut être du grand débat qui a touché Armed Assault puis ArmA II au sujet de l'Intelligence Artificielle, accusée régulièrement de tricheries. Il faut dire qu'il n'était pas rare dans le premier opus de se prendre un headshot par un soldat russe de l'autre côté de la forêt en pleine nuit. Un point également critiqué dans le second opus mais heureusement démenti par de nombreuses vidéos, démontrant les réactions vraiment crédibles de l'I.A. .

Malheureusement pour nous, soit les imbéciles ont obtenu gain de cause, soit l'I.A. traîne encore quelques bugs car en l'état, j'ai pu constater un bon nombre de bizarreries. La palme du grotesque allant sans doute à tous ces PNJ qui ne réagissent presque plus en notre présence. J 'ai ainsi vu un soldat takistanais passer en courant devant moi au détour d'une rue, s'arrêter et me fixer pendant de longues secondes durant lesquelles nous nous sommes demandé si nous étions bien du même camp. Une question réglée par une rafale de M249 sur l'importun."

Any interesting data in the review, apart from the (already known) AI quirks?

there are things that look awkward in games, but with time you start to love them. :)

..and the unarmed/pistol animations are not one of those.

If I only have Arma 2:Arrowhead, and do NOT have the original Arma 2, will I be able to play seriously with a clan online? What happens when they host a game with maps like Chernarus from Arma 2?

How in the heck is this issue not addressed in the FAQ?

Edited by Placebo

If I only have Arma 2:Arrowhead, and do NOT have the original Arma 2, will I be able to play seriously with a clan online? What happens when they host a game with maps like Chernarus from Arma 2?

How in the heck is this issue not addressed in the FAQ?

If you only have Arrowhead and not the original Arma2, you will not have Chernarus.

You can assume that most established squads in Arma2 will have the original game, so you will most likely need it aswell, if you want to join one.

Edited by Placebo

I guess this has been answered a 100times....

No need to type in bold though.

ArmA2 and ArmA2OA are 2 standalone games.

If u want to play content from AmrA2 in OA u have to buy ArmA2.

btw. here is an own closed thread for your question

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=100681

edit:Mad was faster.

Edited by Nephris1

If you only have Arrowhead and not the original Arma2, you will not have Chernarus.

You can assume that most established squads in Arma2 will have the original game, so you will most likely need it aswell, if you want to join one.

In this case, I think that calling Arrowhead a standalone game is misleading. No one buys Arma 2 to play alone - but that's not my point.

Tons of people will buy ArmA 2: Arrowhead thinking they can play online with it, only to discover that all the servers will be running a mixture of Arma 2 and Arrowhead, thus alienating Arrowhead users.

In reality, there will be no online play for those who buy Arma 2: Arrowhead as a standalone game. Why promote it as such? So people will buy it and then be forced to buy Arma 2 if they want to play online. Why not tell people the truth. If you want to join online servers, you'll need both games.

I didn't read the rules...

It's quite simple. If the server is using content that you don't have, you won't be able to play. And if you don't have ArmA2, then you won't have Chernarus. If you had searched I'm sure you'd have come to this same conclusion.

Crap, I didn't know that. So island makers will even have to repack data from A2 in order for custom islands to work?? I though they will release Arrowhead on 2 DVDs... with all the content, maybe even missing A1 stuff.

Any interesting data in the review, apart from the (already known) AI quirks?

Well, the game is not release, so this "AI quirks" could be from a early stage beta, right? Anyway, if not we`re probably likely to see 1.06 to remove some of these bugs after the game is released.

Crap, I didn't know that. So island makers will even have to repack data from A2 in order for custom islands to work?? I though they will release Arrowhead on 2 DVDs... with all the content, maybe even missing A1 stuff.

Huh? Where are you getting that from? In the case of user made islands requiring ArmA2 content, it simply means you need ArmA2 to use it. I'm pretty sure that packing ArmA2 content with your island and releasing it for just OA users is in violation of the EULA.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

It's the same as after QG there where island made with QG content, but not many people

bought the expansion so those island where not playable for them, and offcourse you couldn't package the QG content with the island for non QG owners. Same with Resistance aswell. Only this time it's two way's, both for new content in 'old' game and the 'old' content in the new game.

Oh, they also do that. But it's more expensive.

Here

http://www.arma2.com/crossroad-sprocketbanner.html

It's called "ARMA 2: COMBINED OPERATIONS".

;)

In this case, I think that calling Arrowhead a standalone game is misleading. No one buys Arma 2 to play alone - but that's not my point.

Tons of people will buy ArmA 2: Arrowhead thinking they can play online with it, only to discover that all the servers will be running a mixture of Arma 2 and Arrowhead, thus alienating Arrowhead users.

In reality, there will be no online play for those who buy Arma 2: Arrowhead as a standalone game. Why promote it as such? So people will buy it and then be forced to buy Arma 2 if they want to play online. Why not tell people the truth. If you want to join online servers, you'll need both games.

Its not misleading at all, Operation Arrowhead is a standalone game and you dont need ArmA II to play it offline or online, its peoples choice if they want to host games with a mix of both and im pretty sure there will be Vanilla Arrowhead servers too.

...No one buys Arma 2 to play alone...

1) Not true, in fact i would say Arma 2 surely have more single players buyers than multiplayer buyers. Just because you are mainly a multiplayer gamer, don't think everyone is just like you. The world doesn't work that way. ;)

2) We don't know how the servers will manage the games, but i doubt that EVERY SERVER will use material from BOTH games in EVERY mission. You are only looking the worst case scenario.