Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

As in, all components in one single temp, OFP: DR style?

No just all men the same temp distribution, all cars the same temp profile all trucks the same, all planes the same etc

Well you get the idea. Seems hard to do for all diff. models but modders always can put it in themselves I guess

I didn't get a HUGE manual with my purchase. All I got was a little pamphlet that briefly outlines some of the features. Even the damn "complex" commands are briefly explained , leaving it up to the player to enjoy the experience of what shows up when you press "7" .

Also the key commands are spread all over the pamphlet , not in one simple concise table. Worth getting ArmA1 just for that.

You mean Wiki' "S" and just try an find an answer to a specific question in those. I have a hell of a lot more luck using "Google" than any of the purported "wealth of knowledge" sites.

The vast majority of the "bugs" being complained about pertain to scripting errors in the campaign and other BI modules. Hell , BI invented the script and can't get it right , how in the hell are we supposed to learn enough to script decent missions?

Hopefully the expansion pack will improve performance , add some new features though I'm manly interested in the editor and custom made (and debugged) scenarios.

i'm sorry to hear that You got unadequate manual with your A2 purchase

(no idea for what version you have - may i ask which?)

such issue shall be addressed with publisher also

You can see that PDF manual available here (top right bottom)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33900/

is 53 pages

or http://eu.xfirestore.com/pc-games/buy-download-ARMA2.html

this one is 72 pages

and there are developer diary videos with some additional tidbits of info

i'm sorry to hear that You got unadequate manual with your A2 purchase

(no idea for what version you have - may i ask which?)

such issue shall be addressed with publisher also

You can see that PDF manual available here (top right bottom)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33900/

is 53 pages

or http://eu.xfirestore.com/pc-games/buy-download-ARMA2.html

this one is 72 pages

and there are developer diary videos with some additional tidbits of info

The version might be from some less well known publishers or distributors. Mine is the same with a few page booklet within a cd case as I got it from a distributor call New Era.

As in, all components in one single temp, OFP: DR style?

Sort of, less texture detail tho.

As I posted earlier in the thread, stuff with the thermal info (so the OA content) will look like on the left, stuff without (so the original A2) will look something like [it will be lighter or darker depending on what base temp they use] the stuff on the right.

Edit to clarify: this is how it works in VBS2 (VBS2 stuff looks like the left, ArmA1 stuff on the right), so will probably be how it works in OA

Going back to the backpacks, I don't think they should slow you down too much. I can run with a 10-15kg pack just as well as I can without one, except for the very fast dashes of course, which you can't do in arma 2 anyway. Only thing it should do is make you get tired faster if you sprint since you can run infinitely in arma 2. It would be nice if you couldn't do a roll with a backpack, but I don't understand why you shouldn't be able to go prone as someone suggested, it's merely an assault pack afterall.

It's unfortunate if the arma 2 models won't work properly with the FLIR from OA, I'd actually have all the arma 2 models updated to FLIR compatible with a giant patch, rather than have some lame FLIR effects on them. Maybe make that a choice? :P

Finally about the editing: Yes the editor is easy to use and very accessible but it still won't do the work for you. You have to be willing to dedicate time and effort to it to make a working mission. I agree tho that there could be an editing guide provided with the game, maybe in pdf form. Anyway, anyone who's willing to learn and put the time and effort required to master the editor, will find the necessary info around the internet, only problem is that it's scattered all over the place.

Personally I think I would appreciate a better reference, for commands and data. At the moment there are at least 3 command references, and none of them is really detailed. Maybe some code examples with references to other commands would help. Something mantained by BIS (which might be helpful for them too, I guess), with also information like workarounds for bugs. Something that explains, for example, where display 46 comes from (by the way: I can't find it anywhere, since 46 is a too short string; how about changing the search options?). Then it wouldn't be difficult to do something like this thread or this thread

That said, I really think that I'm stopping with this subject. To discuss further maybe a new thread should be opened, possibly in the editing forum.

By the way, I don't think it has been discussed: anything that allows to use more memory in the new version?

Where did the OA QA go? I think this thread became the main one for OA, but at first there was another one where W0lle i think compiled questions and answers about OA.

Cant find it. Im trying to see what they said about the HUD's and MFD's as i think they said those 2 will be better in OA. More info in the HUD's and functional MFD's (with weapon info/fuel etc maybe?).

Would be imho better if BIS update their Arma2: Operation Arrowhead website with infos + pics or even write something about the progress in Developers Blog. It doesnt have to be an big essay or an new galery with 30+ pics. ;)

Where did the OA QA go? I think this thread became the main one for OA, but at first there was another one where W0lle i think compiled questions and answers about OA.

Cant find it. Im trying to see what they said about the HUD's and MFD's as i think they said those 2 will be better in OA. More info in the HUD's and functional MFD's (with weapon info/fuel etc maybe?).

Hi Alex,

It has been moved to "ArmA 2 - News" section:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=84824

Will people be able to mod the normal arma2 units to feature the new Arrowhead thermal features to use in Arrowhead?

Will people be able to mod the normal arma2 units to feature the new Arrowhead thermal features to use in Arrowhead?
I expect, that in case, there will be not defined TI signature, we will use some default temperature from config for each class of objects.

That the best answer we have I'd think.

Why would they be releasing an expansion pack when they haven't even fixed the actual game to run properly?

Why would they be releasing an expansion pack when they haven't even fixed the actual game to run properly?

read the thread from the begining. you'll find the answer

I've heard czech army will took a minor part in this expansion.. is it possible to say which weapons it will use? I'm not an military expert, but it would kill the game if they will not have humvees, pandur II apcs, modernized helicopters, and some other stuff like CZ S 805 A etc.

Yes. I know it is just minor feature but(as Czech) I am also interested in equipment of ACR in expansion. Especially now when there are news about czech army's plans to buy new assault rifles...

And because story is set two years in future, I guess at least elite units of ACR should be equiped with those new guns.

I don't want to read through 117 pages, but will the OPFOR be a real army (Russia / China / etc.) or just some terrorists with a handful of T-55's?

Warfare/CTI sure won't be very much fun on the new map if the USA has their full arsenal and the OPFOR side is a bunch of guys with ski masks and RPGs.

Yes. I know it is just minor feature but(as Czech) I am also interested in equipment of ACR in expansion. Especially now when there are news about czech army's plans to buy new assault rifles...

And because story is set two years in future, I guess at least elite units of ACR should be equiped with those new guns.

It was announced that it'll be only a small nuber of SF operators so i think they'llbe using the M4 family products as they do in (present) real life. Besides, you really can't know what weapon we'll get in the future.

I don't want to read through 117 pages, but will the OPFOR be a real army (Russia / China / etc.) or just some terrorists with a handful of T-55's?

Warfare/CTI sure won't be very much fun on the new map if the USA has their full arsenal and the OPFOR side is a bunch of guys with ski masks and RPGs.

To only have US army super tech VS flip flopping third world terror dudes seems highly unrealistic...:rolleyes: :D But anyway, we dont know anything yet. This remains to be seen when more info comes out.

EDIT: Also...

Question: Who is the enemy? typical Taliban look alikes or a (fictional) regular Army like SLA in ArmA 1?

Jennik: AO will rather be unsymmetrical kind of war even if it could happen you can face a very tough and well equipped enemy.

From ARMAHOLIC QA WITH JENNIK

Edited by Alex72

To only have US army super tech VS flip flopping third world terror dudes seems highly unrealistic...

Isn't it actually what's happening in real life ?

This is the very concept of guerrilla : play with asymetric tactics, hide and mix with populations etc... and history teaches that from the Spanish napoleonic war up to now, that the guerrilla always wins...

Isn't it actually what's happening in real life ?

Did you notice the ":rolleyes: :D"

;)

i see xbox 360 dev kits in thier offices

they need to go to 1c games about publishing for the 360

their recent success with IL2 birds of prey is a prime example that sims can be accepted well on consoles

It would also be nice to kick the living christ out of that god awful flashpoint game

Did you notice the " :rolleyes::D"

Oops... my bad. Now it's obvious.

Really the Chdzk in regular ArmA2 don't play as a real full force army. Playing the missions it always felt a bit like Vietnam vs. the original OFP feel. Random helo insertions. No real frontlines. A fully active civilian population all through the fighting areas. The suspense when walking through the woods was there. Many times I'd run into small enemy patrols and then 5 minutes later exit the forest only to run into a friendly squad. Having to operate out of a FOB was also really cool to me.

I'd have no problem playing against another more gurellia type force vs. a full on army. I thought it was very well done. Of course I've always longed for a Vietnam game done right. This was probably the closest I've gotten and it wasn't even a Vietnam game.

whats wrong with the russians taking the main playing role in the game for once ? nobody would buy the game then or what? :pill:

Or for the love of bob, give us some brittish troops.

-K

Well, a fully functional US army would be something that appeals to a very large group. Probably to a larger group than Russians, especially since we already have a pretty decent Russian force with which to make our own campaigns. As for the British Forces, realistically we would all prefer them over the Czech military but that is out of our hands.