Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Going along with what dark yall said, i am going to hope for "both"

I like the VZ 58 and that new rifle looks cool as well

Also, as i have said before, dont expect such drastic engine changes (like a change in the missile guidance systems, FCS, Armor system) in the expansion.

If you get your hopes up so high with out the devs giving some hits or credible tidbits, you are the only one responsible for your own misery when you are eventually disappointed by the lack of feature A, B and C

just chill and try to not get your hope up

Edited by That guy

It a possibility but maybe also te Skorpion EVO III. It's only an asumption, we dont know if these weapons will be in-game, but it's a possibility.

The plus of the CZ 805 is that it can use 5,56 and also the 7,62x39 ammo with an field conversion kit.

There you can see an picture with modern CZUB weapons wich may apear in the czech army.

http://www.czub.cz/UserFiles/Image/letak_web.jpg

Real laser and radar guided weapons? (ie, the laser guided hellfire is NOT fire and forget)

QUOTE]

Granted, I hope they do not make the mistake of using the earlier laser guided hellfire weapons over the more "Longbow based" hellfires however, since the FCR is there and all.

Granted, I hope they do not make the mistake of using the earlier laser guided hellfire weapons over the more "Longbow based" hellfires however, since the FCR is there and all.

However, the laser model has seen a lot more use (with both the brits and the yanks - who actually removed the Longbow radar from a lot of their Apaches in the ME) in Afghanistan (for various reasons)

So actually, they probably should be using Laser hellfires, which if config'd correctly are NOT fire and forget in game (you have to lock the laser target then keep the laser on whatever you're shooting at)

Thats actually a pretty good analogy. Its something that ~10 years ago the vast majority of people would have done themselves (and been able to do it) but now people would rather pay someone else to come out and do it for them. And its not because its hard (I think I was changing tyres with my dad when I was 6 or so) but because it takes effort and "getting dirty" and people just dont want to do it anymore.

But I fear we're going more and more off topic here.

I know how to change a tire but Im not going to learn to code just to get some basic gameplay that should've already been built into the AI in the first place, maybe buying this game was a mistake.

DM I thought your had 4,000 posts yesterday you made 2,000 posts in one day???? Or is there someone mimicking the elite?

Edited by Flash Thunder

I know how to change a tire but Im not going to learn to code just to get some basic gameplay that should've already been built into the AI in the first place, maybe buying this game was a mistake.?

That's bullshit. You don't need to code to play the game.

Pretty sure it was 598-something yesterday. And aside from posting, I have no control over the number. I'm 99.9% sure its legit tho, I have been here (and active) for 7 years...

As for the AI/scripting, it all depends what you want out of the game, and Operation Arrowhead (desperately trying to get back ontopic here) is going to be more of the same. Its highly unlikely that there are going to be any drastic changes in the way things work. For two reasons: its not what BIS does, and its already stated that there wont be any major changes to the way things are done. (posted by BIS staff somewhere in this thread)

You don't need absolutely need to script, but it certainly helps...

Because indeed there are some VERY BASIC things that aren't possible to do without it : change weapon and magazine for instance, this should be a drop down list to access the nice gear menu... (and not "this remove XXX" " This addmagazine YYYY" etc...

A few more MP oriented modules (like respawn ?) would make the life of many easier.

I would love BIS to make the High Command menu more responsive too in OA. Very good Idea, but the implementation leaves to be desired when a lot of things is going on.

An please : Add a simple "Land" command to the action or move menu.

Why do we have almost redundant actions like "Stop" and "Wait for me", "Engage" and "Engage at Will", but no "Land" action for choppers ? I still need to make the pilot disembark or script a radio trigger... very annoying.

I thought Arma 1 Warfare menu was also better than in A2. Let's see what the new version will be...

Arma 2 is very feature rich, but OA could bring it the little polish it needs... let's wait and see...

Edited by EricM

Let me make a positive critic, this is my personal point of view.

The biggest thing i think BIS needs for OA is not related to engine fixes or campaigns, it's a major improve of their internal beta testing procedures. All BIS games have been bugged on the release, but the problem is that the bugs where easily found by the users, so, it's obviously that the internal beta testing process is very very bad.

From my point of view, and my laboral experience, Marek and Ondrej should thake a deep look here and apply that to developmet process: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing

I think this is a bigger problem than BIS and community thinks. Pc users have the feeling that BIS games are only playable after four or five patches, and i know about 30 people who says that they will buy the game after that patches were released, other people will simply download the game and other will not play the game and spread the fact that BIS games are bugged on main pc games forums (for example, if you know spanish, go to www.media-vida-net, one of the biggest spanish gaming community, forums and take a look to the arma2 thread).

For example, when i announce the expansion in an small community the first answer was: "Great, welcome new bugs, bye bye old bugs"

Thats a very bad propaganda for BIS games, and i think that should be priority number one on the internal BIS development process. A game/expansion without bugs is better than the same expansion with new features but with the old and new bugs.

Obviously distributors always want to have the game finished on the date specified on the contract, but it's always better to delay that date and finish the beta testing process, and if the distributor don't understand that (hi Morphicon guys) maybe you should dinf a new one who were more flexible on that point.

As i said before, this is my personal opinion, but based on my 8 years experience on system administration and my experience with "brand new software" uninstalled from my servers when i found critical bugs that make my platform unstable.

Regards.

However, the laser model has seen a lot more use (with both the brits and the yanks - who actually removed the Longbow radar from a lot of their Apaches in the ME) in Afghanistan (for various reasons)

So actually, they probably should be using Laser hellfires, which if config'd correctly are NOT fire and forget in game (you have to lock the laser target then keep the laser on whatever you're shooting at)

I hope for both and that there might be a variant without radar as well, maybe an AH-64A since they also have a VBS2 model of that. But for fire and forget should they add that I hope is not through tabbing..

@txalin:

I absolutely agree with you! I hope it's heard by BI :) I hope they don't think we want to mess their structure. People who care about the ArmA series and BI simply want to give some hints and advices.

As for Morphicon .. they seemed to quit the support after 2 months :mad: However there was no official statement yet. This will be "funny" again in the upcomming release of Operation Arrowhead.

Edited by [GLT] Legislator

You don't need absolutely need to script, but it certainly helps...

Because indeed there are some VERY BASIC things that aren't possible to do without it : change weapon and magazine for instance, this should be a drop down list to access the nice gear menu... (and not "this remove XXX" " This addmagazine YYYY" etc...

A few more MP oriented modules (like respawn ?) would make the life of many easier.

I would love BIS to make the High Command menu more responsive too in OA. Very good Idea, but the implementation leaves to be desired when a lot of things is going on.

An please : Add a simple "Land" command to the action or move menu.

Why do we have almost redundant actions like "Stop" and "Wait for me", "Engage" and "Engage at Will", but no "Land" action for choppers ? I still need to make the pilot disembark or script a radio trigger... very annoying.

I thought Arma 1 Warfare menu was also better than in A2. Let's see what the new version will be...

Arma 2 is very feature rich, but OA could bring it the little polish it needs... let's wait and see...

Agreed on the modules. I actually thaught ARMA2 would have respawn module and new WP actions since the ArmA1 way needs for you to learn a lot. You have to read up, search and go ask people on how to make a respawn or make a helo land. That would have been great if it was included in a simple way. As well as changing weapons ofcourse. Ive heard that a lot from people around me and i had to teach them all how to do it. Not really the best way.

Maybe OA will get some new modules. In fact i count on it. :)

They should ship with hardcopy of up-to-date COMREF with OA. and mr murray's editing bible. Now that's a Collector Edition or should I say, developer's edition :D

OA cover looks great! :)

The campaign there it says player can enlist as regular infantry, tank commander or pilot etc. You think that means you can play the campaign over from start and see the battle from each? Or switching during the campaign is active?

Who is Arrowhead SP campaign designer and programmer? The same as ArmA 2?

My dear. I hope they will not repeat the bugged campaign Harvest Red.

Great game design, but unfortunately bad implementation. (need a lot of patches and still you see in forums people who have big problems).

I would have preferred BIS continue to fix ArmA 2, and maybe produce an expansion for ArmA 2-Chernarus, not a new island "stand-alone" Takistan.

In addition to the previous weapon discusion. Since the campaign is set into the future, it's possible, that the czech forces will have the new assault rifle, now know under the name CZ 805, with (or instead) the vz.58 assault rifle.

/3174_CZ_805Aleft_1.jpg[/img]

Well, ince this weapon is not even in the tender for new army rifle, i highly doubt it will appear in game.

Ah, ok for the info TheSun, I thought that it was build dirrectly for the army based on the requirements, so thanks for corectment. ;)

I looked at some screens and i noticed on a picture over a dense urban that there were a lot of accessable doors and open windows, a feature i really hoped that BIS would exploit futher...

Oh, have anyone heard anything about if BIS will integrate rappelling(?) and rope ladder for the helicopters?

I have got such good memories of missions in OFP using BAS helis and D-Force units on the Mogadishu Island (i can't remember what map was really called but im sure most of you know which i mean). either way, would love if they would include that, kinda miss it...

Who is Arrowhead SP campaign designer and programmer? The same as ArmA 2?

My dear. I hope they will not repeat the bugged campaign Harvest Red.

Great game design, but unfortunately bad implementation. (need a lot of patches and still you see in forums people who have big problems).

I would have preferred BIS continue to fix ArmA 2, and maybe produce an expansion for ArmA 2-Chernarus, not a new island "stand-alone" Takistan.

Completely agree. Harvest Red was fun in design and story bad badly overscripted and overcombined due to some strange solutions in more expanded missions. I would like to see more scenarios like First to Fight, tank battles etc. which (i hope so) provide us good performance.

Apart from my other 2 suggestions (Mi28n and RPD) I would also like to see a Soviet Bolt action sniper rifle, like an SV-98.

Apart from my other 2 suggestions (Mi28n and RPD) I would also like to see a Soviet Bolt action sniper rifle, like an SV-98.

With animated bolt, please.

BIS Please make the commanding circle actually 3D its really hard to use.

Be able to switch weapons while running or walking.

glitch with sunglases on certain character models using freelook u can see them.

Add Editor enhancements I love using the editor, make presets and more tabs like Weapon Loadouts. :)

Actual .50 cal bullets coming out of the M107 not little 556 bullets. LOL

my wish is ARMA needs more death animations. alot more. one thing I remember from OGR is that even though it didnt use ragdoll, it has lots and lots of death anims... even positional sometimes. shoot his legs and he drop to his knees first then drop dead.

The SV-98 (Snaiperskaya Vintovka Model 1998) is a Russian bolt action sniper rifle designed by Vladimir Stronskiy.

The SV-98 is mainly used by Russian law enforcement and counter-terrorist forces.

Mosin–Nagant would be great.