@ineptaphid - this seems like the most appropriate place for things relating to the Tac-Ops mission pack. Please move this if needed.
While I'm looking forward to the DLC, especially given the quality of the narrative and immersion aspects of LoW and the FFV Showcase recently, I definitely think BI has dropped the ball in not providing any platform improvements alongside Tac-Ops. It just feels like this is exactly the right time - like with every previous DLC. I'm not so fussed about extra assets, but with much better use of the ones we have (ie. making the most of their unique features/ characteristics). 8+ hours of game time seems good, but I'm more worried about quality than quantity.
So here is my list/ rant of (not so) small things as suggestions:
1. CBQ/ room clearance - for the love of all things Splendid - BI - you even have a whole mini game (Arma Tactics) surrounding this! Why on earth is this not in the main game when CQB/ building/ room clearing is probably the most procedual the AI can be. It just seems like madness that you continually avoid this area - even more so when your DLC is called Tac-Ops! As an officer or commander of AI, you should be able to give a command to clear a building and the AI carry it out. This is what 'Assign Red/ Green/ Blue team' are made for! You can then order them progressively to clear a town. Even better if you could coordinate artillery/ mortar strikes beforehand in-game. Company-level attack style. Please BI - do it now so you can learn for Arma 4.
2. Make exiting vehicles more fluid (why do AI always raise their weapons when getting out of a vehicle? - it breaks immersion when there is no enemy). Conversely, AI should hit the ground running in a combat situation. Some form of greater awareness for this would help massively. Please, either in Tac-Ops or Tanks DLC - especially considering IFVs and mechanised infantry.
3.. The AI need a militia/untrained behaviour profile (ie. no formations, random group compositions). Even Operation Game-that-shall-not-be-named had different infantry tactics. Syndikat should not fight NATO-style.
Feel/ Immersion -
1. Seriously BI - stop with the lone wolf scenarios. No military does it - unless in rare circumstances. Snipers have spotters, SF work in fireteams, soldiers work in fireteams, attack helicopter crews work together, and so on. I don't care if I just have someone else (AI) with me while I do everything alone. But seriously. Stop it. It robs you of opportunities to have dialogue between the characters which adds depth in the game. As a result, SP can feel soul-less (ala Apex), so...
2. Add more conversation and dialogue. The short briefings at the beginning of most of the Showcases just come across as stunted and unnatural. The reason we connected with the OFP characters is because they said more and they were unique. We'll ignore Will Porter. Despite the -at times- flippancy, the opening mission of the Arma 2 campaign seemed perfect. Arrowhead and BAF were great too.
3. Add more military jargon to dialogue and maps/plans - it adds depth and realism to missions and provides a sense that you are a cog in a machine.
4. Use of proper radio procedure. This is a world most of us are not involved in but want to play - immerse us in the experience.
5. Tac-Ops should be the most 'green' Arma 3 will ever be. Just like Helicopters and Jets DLC should have been the opportunity to get into the technicality and specifics of those areas, Tac-Ops should get you up close, into the technicality of being an infantryman - of teamwork, skills and drills. Yes, we're nerds for this. Indulge us.
I'd love to see others contribute in a similar manner. There has to be enough SP players like us to make BI reflect and change their mind.