Sign in to follow this  
SaBrE_UK

ArmA 2 Press Coverage

The last movie confirms new CTI by BIS in coming 1.12 patch.

Nice stuff, Shows the most new stuff I've seen so far smile_o.gif

Movie 4 in particular

And again you see the icons appear in the screen, both left and right in middle height.

Looks like it appears when in a fight and such... not sure what it represents yet but hope we get more info on this soon.

Also they commented there is a limit of 30 seperate teams in the game but not sure in what way they meant that.

here you can see them a bit bigger smile_o.gif

Looking great BIS, also the CTI looks a bit more promissing smile_o.gif I see there is a HQ in it biggrin_o.gif

Both VD and Skytextures look good

We've still got AI charging around corners without looking, damnit! I didn't see anyone lean, once. It essentially looked like ArmA with a new island. Now don't get me wrong, I've got all the best hopes and wishes for BIS' new game and also realise these videos are a pre-alpha build, but heck, if it's a new engine then why oh god why do they stick with the old and essentially flawed systems?

- AI (seemingly) are still taken by the "madness" to run happily around every corner they find, regardless of enemy or not.

- Vehicle entrance is still a matter of teleporting inside. These things have DOORS for a reason, you know!

- ArmA weapons??? Can we at least have some animations on them, rather than perpetuating the hand-through-an-M203/M240/GP30/insert-large-weapon-name-here and wave-my-hands-and-voila-instant-reload bugs?

I know I can only go off those videos, but man, I don't know what to think. I'll buy it sure, but damned if I won't be hardcore pissed off if at least one of these things isn't fixed.

Also humourous to see that every weapon in ArmA 2 so far is an M16A4 ACOG GL. tounge2.gif

Nice sounds , sexy hind, but what CameronMcDonal said and from the looks of things it appears that the HDR overtransitioning is still there... banghead.gif

Gotta agree with Cam here, now i'm a big BI fan. Since OFP day one. I dont moan about bugs etc. because like with OFP i know they'll either get fixed or the community will sort it. I honestly have to say, im going to have to see some major improvments on what ive just seen in those clips. As far as i can see its ArmA (basically flashpoint) just updated graphically again. I thought we were going to see something different, dont get me wrong i love the ArmA style, but lets not have to go through everything again, like we have done with OFP and now ArmA.

Hoorey for the new sounds!

About the AI...

Well, he sticks to the walls this time and he was guarding the open, it's a beginning smile_o.gif (but he's still not able to strafe tho... sad_o.gif )

Nice building textures btw, reminds me of stalker.

But animations are still so robotic.

Quote[/b] ]

And again you see the icons appear in the screen, both left and right in middle height. Looks like it appears when in a fight and such... not sure what it represents yet but hope we get more info on this soon.

I guess it's your compass?

I'd also have to agree with Cam. With the obvious repeated objects they are using it just looks like Arma with a slight face lift. It just shows how lazy the devs can be with creating a sequel. They could at least retexture some of the models that are being ported over to cover this up but no dice. They have released some nice screenshots, which Arrma1 can make too, but ingame it doesn't look a whole lot different at all.

One other thing is that with all the established models could they perhaps then dedicate more time to animation fluidity? Arma in terms of animation (which is important as this aspect conveys more realism) is terribly behind most recent games. AI is of course another big thing mentioned all too much. But with hardly any improvement in the 8 or so years since OFP, there is a reason to cock an eyebrow.

This seems to be a bit of a rip off now. Plus we will only be getting a 100km2 island to play with which is actually a downsize from Arma and even OFP.

I'd also have to agree with Cam. With the obvious repeated objects they are using it just looks like Arma with a slight face lift. It just shows how lazy the devs can be with creating a sequel. They could at least retexture some of the models that are being ported over to cover this up but no dice. They have released some nice screenshots, which Arrma1 can make too, but ingame it doesn't look a whole lot different at all.

One other thing is that with all the established models could they perhaps then dedicate more time to animation fluidity? Arma in terms of animation (which is important as this aspect conveys more realism) is terribly behind most recent games. AI is of course another big thing mentioned all too much. But with hardly any improvement in the 8 or so years since OFP, there is a reason to cock an eyebrow.

This seems to be a bit of a rip off now. Plus we will only be getting a 100km2 island to play with which is actually a downsize from Arma and even OFP.

I dont think it is fair to call the devs lazy. As far as i am concerned i would not mind if they port every model directly from ArmA 1 even without retexturing which is obviously not the case here, it is the inner workings of the game that i am most looking forward to them being improved and we cant tell much about those from the videos.

keep up the good work BIS and keep us informed.

Just watched the latest vids, and im not impressed much at all. I realise its WIP and dodgy camera footage,but there is nothing really to get excited about just yet, based on those vids.

Looks rather bland as if they have added a generic 'Stalker' visual filter to the current Arma game. Just to try make the game more gritty. But im afraid it doesnt mask the flaws in the Arma engine.

The animations appear to be the same, ie rubbish.  

On the positive side i saw an Osprey and Raptor i think. yay.gif But i guess we will have those sooner or later in Arma anyway.

I hope they improve Arma 2 vastly to what we have seen so far.    wink_o.gif

Wow I had to read the Thread to make sure I was looking at ArmAII thread because looking at those videos it looked like a mod for ArmA. I agree with these guys here it doesn't look that different at all and animation don't look like they were touched so PvP will probably still suck. I guess hope only lies with Codemasters now.

would like to see a more offical release with some approx dates.. looks to be a little way off from finishing.

I still haven't seen my most-wanted feature...the new AI. Imho it's pointless to relase movies that show only shlightly upgraded ArmA. Good to see there's a progress though, but well, it's kinda obvious.

anyway, good luck BIS!

One hopes after watching the videos that there is still a lot of work to be done?

'If' that is not the case then it doesn't look like much of an improvement over ArmA.

Bad animations, Graphics look no different (but then the image quality was poor), same old UI.

Still early days yet....? One hopes so! confused_o.gif

Just to echo what other people have said:

1) still no hatches / vehicle entry animations - didnt BIS say ages ago this was something they wanted to address?

2) megatexture tech? still seeing some of the blotchy lowres arma textures on the ground.

There was some good stuff however:

1) building deformation in action - ok its missing the sfx to mask the state transitions, but looks like theres going to be more than one "damaged" state before its completely destroyed.

2) grass view distance seems hugely improved - except for using binocs :/

3) some nice new buildings with a fair bit more detail to them.

4) sky seems a bit better res

quite hard to guage much given the low quality of the videos. fingers crossed for the future BIS.

edit: the higher res version of vid4 does show an improved AI movement. so removing that comment.

- AI (seemingly) are still taken by the "madness" to run happily around every corner they find, regardless of enemy or not.

Indeed, though it was hard to see anything in those small vids i didnt see any behaviour like in this video where the AI actually looked impressive.

Then again, maybe the last few videos were too short/blurry to judge about it.

They hug the walls, but they rush too much.

I'm still keeping my hopes up.

The animation system looks as if it's the same old clunky piece of crap. But that's just looks, we'll see.

What I'm most curious about is just how 'new' these videos are. Yes they are new to us but were they recorded and held from public for a few months or so?

Yes I know that method wouldn't make sense but if you think about it, it has been the way BIS has worked, look at Arma for example, screenshots and some videos they released dated back 3 months or so, how are we to know this isn't similar.

Agreed, and we must also remember that ArmA underwent a majority of its most aesthetically pleasing changes later in its development, not earlier. I remember seeing the game look not much prettier than elite one month, only to see it as it is now a few months later. However, I am not considering this game for its graphical prowess, but rather the changes to AI and user friendliness.

I don't think metal gear solid 2 had any clipping problems..... But that's bedside's the point. I must say I think these clips don't show much at all. I think the map looks great.. was a bit disappointed to see that AI soldier run round the corner and not even do anything.. it would be nice to see them react a bit when they see someone sneaking around. Of course I'm glad to see the Hind return aswell but i hope there are some significant improvements on choppers. E.g countermeasure's (Especially considering units like Tunguska are apparantly gonna be ingame). I hope we will get good looking tracers and that the bulletes wont just randomly spawn from near the gun muzzle. And i hope vehicles with twin guns (Like the tunguska) will have the guns fire in dual accurately (Unlike the shilka's in arma and ofp) I hope we will be able to land on a ship and move the unit on the back of the ship ... but any way i could complain all day.. so lets ignore that.

Anyway. Keep it up Guys. Sorry for my moan and i know this is still pre-Alpha... But please dont just make it ArmA with some minor improvements....

Nice ArmA1 videos, i like the new retexture mod they used that changed the ACU soldiers into marpat ones.

Now that's all nice to show us this retexture mod, but it would be better if they could show us ArmA2 videos with all the new gameplay, physics and new features they are working since several years, we have already enough ArmA1 videos here with their OFP old gameplay and features :/

I agree with the negative feedback on these videos and hope that they are in fact old and lacking most of the new features. Because if this is what we can expect from ArmA2, then its not going to be worth buying.

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again... a modded version of ArmA1 will sell like a lead ballon. And thats all we see in these videos... no major changes, same old models, and no sign of "Game 2" or the "next gen PC game" we have been promised. Want a good laugh? Read one of the old "Game2" articles for a couple years ago... almost every thing that made "Game2" sound great has been removed, and theres no sign that ArmA2 is going to live up to the innitial hype caused when "Game2" was first announced.

Of course it is very true ArmA1 didn't take its final form until shortly before release, and the same could well be true for ArmA2. The new AI might not be fully implimented, effects and models might be place holders, and who know what else might be in development and not added to the game in these videos. But if thats not that case......... well, who knows then.

Nice ArmA1 videos, i like the new retexture mod they used that changed the ACU soldiers into marpat ones.

Now that's all nice to show us this retexture mod, but it would be better if they could show us ArmA2 videos with all the new gameplay, physics and new features they are working since several years, we have already enough ArmA1 videos here with their OFP old gameplay and features :/

I'll have to agree that there isnt much to praise there, that would pass on for an Arma expantion.

Same graphics, animations, hud, weird voice sounds, flight model looks the same too (with the traditional looping engine sound).

Im still optimistic but for someone whose expectations arent the highest im far from impressed with this "presentation". It just doesnt inspire confidence for a tittle that is to be released this year.

If the loyal fanbase isnt all that impressed how will the general audience react?

Quote[/b] ]First of all we would like to apologize for the poor quality caused by the lighting, author's shaking hands and the equipment, a small digital camera...
Keep in mind these are WIP videos not advertising stuff wink_o.gif

Let's see if BIS get little time again to write something new in their developer/community blog.