Sign in to follow this  
SaBrE_UK

ArmA 2 Press Coverage

mistake with the tanks on grass in that video no tracks left..they should also animate dirt being kicked up by the tracks at the rear..

I was quite happy to see motion capture sensors on a rifle itself in one of the photos.

Realistic and proportional recoil for weapons in Arma has always been a matter of preference and debate and division.

If Arma2 supplies realistic motion captured weapon recoil for a wide variation of weapons, then that sets the scene up for GREAT compatibility between different weapon mods.

until then each weapon mod that uses its own recoils runs the risk of being over or under balanced against other mods. which is bad because mods are such a massive part of arma and OFP.

I'd also urge BIS to follow the lead the very smart NWD started and provide ballistic values for all calibre bullets - allowing another layer of consistency mod makers can depend on rather than have to struggle against!

also the proper ROF's and snappier recoil feel aka Q1146's excellent addons.

Thinks BIS is going all out and I look forward to Arma2 big time.

The same in ArmA biggrin_o.gif

Each time we see something new from ArmAII, we see old from ArmA >_<

http://www.armedassault.info/ftp/pics/news/pics1/arma2update6.jpg

Did anybody notice how the hand near the front of the gun is practically going through the gun ?

I don't mind that so much. In the grand scheme of things it really isn't that important. I would rather have my AI improvements and better terrain. Things like hands clipping through some of the guns isn't that bad. The hands go through most the guns in ArmA right now and I honestly almost never notice it.

Personally, I think it's much worse when the arms clip through the body... and that's very easy to make happen.

Guest Ti0n3r

Meh. Hands clipping through various objects is so damn 1990's goodnight.gif

Meh. Hands clipping through various objects is so damn 1990's goodnight.gif

Word to that, I hardly doubt its something that would be too difficult to solve but...what do I know? smile_o.gif

i dont know.. things like hands going through guns is kinda mandatory if they wanna call it a new game. otherwise they might as well call it ofp 2.0

you should think about it twice. Hands clipping through weapon, weapon clipping through body and so on, its all animation's fault. In Arma we have one anim to hold weapon and not all of them have holdpoints in the same place. The same goes for clipping with body, it is almost impossible for such a engine to check collisions between men and his weapon.

Not clipped hands, movable hands on car steering wheels, movable hands on mounted weapons and so on, it should work when use some sort of Inverse Kinematics, but its alot of work and many changes to engine.

Think about it, whinners.

no one here imagine that thos anims are wip? huh.gif

Its been a bit quiet on the press release side of things recently.. after the screenshot and info frenzy of early on in the year.

I guess its crunch time and BIS is knuckling down to meet some serious development milestones.

Would be nice to have another blog or some more pretties to drool over though biggrin_o.gif

Its quite possible... but BIS has had clipping issues for years now starting with OFP, and then ArmA. So its not far fetched to assume its soemthing they don't plan to fix.

Its quite possible... but BIS has had clipping issues for years now starting with OFP, and then ArmA. So its not far fetched to assume its soemthing they don't plan to fix.

Right, i guess to do so, they would have to change all models and/or implement something so the single models wont collide with each other... (would also solve a lot of other issues).

Regards, Christian

i dont know.. things like hands going through guns is kinda mandatory if they wanna call it a new game. otherwise they might as well call it ofp 2.0

That's a bit drastic. In other FPS for quite a few years they have not even enabled you to see your own body in first person. Your still just a floating pair of arms with a gun.

That's a bit drastic. In other FPS for quite a few years they have not even enabled you to see your own body in first person. Your still just a floating pair of arms with a gun.

Thats not a graphical issue, or engine flaw tho... thats just simply how most FPS's are intentionally designed. Clipping is an actual problem/glitch/bug with the graphics in the game, as where not being able to see your body is just a design choice... so thats really not a good comparison.

Every first or third person game I've ever played* has clipping issues of some sort or another, including "next gen" Xbox 360 games.....

*if anyone has played a game where nothing at all clips into anything else then let me know but I'd be surprised wink_o.gif

Most clip just in the 3rd person, which is slightly less obvious than 1st person where the weapon is the only thing you see.

In most other games you also have weapon specific 1st person reload animations, jam fix animations, bolt animations, etc etc. All these would be very welcome in ArmA2.

But even in 3rd person most games still have charaters hold bullpup weapons properly, short weapons, etc.

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]*if anyone has played a game where nothing at all clips into anything else then let me know but I'd be surprised

I don't think I've ever played any games where nothing clips through something

But I have played loads of games where the weapons don't clip through the hands of the player and where units don't walk through doors and buildings wink_o.gif

Let's add ArmA 2 to that list.

Every first or third person game I've ever played* has clipping issues of some sort or another, including "next gen" Xbox 360 games.....

*if anyone has played a game where nothing at all clips into anything else then let me know but I'd be surprised wink_o.gif

Thats is true to a point... all games do in fact have clipping to a certain degree, and I was never suggesting ArmA2 should be clipping free. But I sure hope your not trying to say the level of clipping we saw in ArmA is on level with what we see in most modern day games. Becuase that couldn't be farther from the truth, and would be nothing short of spin...

ArmA had ALOT more then its fair share of clipping and collision detection problems. In fact, one could argue ArmA's clipping when any moving objects touch together is absolutly abysmal, and some of the worst ever seen in a modern day shooter... So making any attempt to compare it to any other "next gen" games in terms of clipping/collion detection is laughable at best. Hopefully the same will not be true for ArmA2.

Ti0n3r hit the nail on the head when it comes to clipping... things such as holding weapons should be clipping free, and are on most high quality games. The way I see it, thats something in the players face, all the time... in terms of presentation, its a smart thing to fix IMO. And in all fairness, collision detection/clipping in ArmA was a major leap forward over OFP, and while still far short of being considered good (OFP probly had the worst CD ever in a FPS)... its my hope ArmA2 will make another big leap on the issue, as well as the major clipping problems of ArmA. Only time will tell.

Now i have no idea how these things work.. but isnt it down to the fact that certain sacrifices have to be made in order for arma to be playable consdiering the size of the world (taking into account all the models etc).

Slight clipping issues is a small price to pay to allow such large scale combat with diverse weapon systems and still run with a decent framerate.

If your going to have to spend 30% of the available cpu power just to do some kinematic proccessing just so a bit of clipping is removed. Then id say its not worth it. Or having the engine run 30 diff animations to cater for all the specific weapons held by all the soldiers in view, rather than just generalising it and running 3.

But like i said without knowing a hell of a lot more about the way games are created, and the tricks devs can used to accomplish things its hard to say. Still think its a question of balance.