Sign in to follow this  
SaBrE_UK

ArmA 2 Press Coverage

Hear what Marek says at minute 3:25:

"We changed the playing dynamic a little bit to prevent the players to die so often. To make this, we implemented a 'ressurection-feature' in ArmA2..." -> Revive feature, when a buddy gets shot.

Does this mean that I wont die if I receive a headshot??

Hm... Don't know... I am very sceptical thinking of this. I know that I die after some moments, if no one heals me. But if I received a headshot from someone, I even wouldn't like to be healed! wink_o.gif

I am against this feature. I should be at least selectable.

The point of this feature is that the campaign will be focussed on your small team.

So if anyone of them dies a mission is over because the guys are surely needed for further story cutscenes.

Personally i would eb annoyed if i had to restart everytime one of my soldiers is hit in the head.

At the end its still a game.

Brothers in Arms had a feature like that, if your squad was half dead and you died a few times it offered to heal your squad on the next attempt, kinda like "War is hell but at the end its a game, should we revive your team mates?"

Might be written different in the game, been a good while since i played it.

wasn't it already said that if a bullet hit different part of the body the set dammage will be different?

Imagine you take 4 shots in the leg.. you will die eventually, this way could set a parameter making the revive possible.

Maybe if the dammage is max => headshot, could mean that soldier would not be able to be revived.

Then by using some sort of special algoritm the revive could become more acceptable for all in certain situations.

Any idea?

They have the colourscheme perfect! With the new location, storyline and AI this is gonna be good!

super biggrin_o.gif

i missed that information, thanks alot!

Edit: "So, the last things for ARMA2, that's waiting for us is the automatic generation of special geometry, such as collision, view and fire geometry. This was always made manually and meant that often it was not precise enough for shooting, or the AI were able to spot you through vegetation. I hope that this last thing will be solved soon in a few weeks."

Hope BIS can find a good and fast way. Good luck

Wow..!

I was sure the first picture was real until I saw futher back in the picture. Impressive.. wow_o.gif

It's going to be very interresting to see how this will preform in the gold-version.

Keep it up!  biggrin_o.gif

Wow..!

I was sure the first picture was real until I saw futher back in the picture. Impressive.. wow_o.gif

It's going to be very interresting to see how this will preform in the gold-version.

Keep it up!  biggrin_o.gif

I saw the second picture and I couldn't really tell if it was real or not. notworthy.gif

By the way, did anyone else notice that it says "plantage" on the corner of the cube in the third picture? Does that mean that trees will actually grow like they said back in Game2?

Interresting article. Here is a german translation on armabase.de > click <

But german mates, which are visitign the forums should be able to read the original^^ whistle.gif

Hehe I see many camping possibilities in in those pics to ambush enemies >=). thumbs-up.gif

By the way, did anyone else notice that it says "plantage" on the corner of the cube in the third picture? Does that mean that trees will actually grow like they said back in Game2?

It would add to the diversity greatly smile_o.gif Still, it could be something more simple such as model size, so one model might be 90% the size of the same tree next to it, just to add variety. If it was actually a growing system then they should/would have said about it in the article.

Looks pretty good.... however would be nice to have more diversified forests.... what i personally miss (according to the early screens) are a few already fallen trees with moss-grown already on it, or things like more "undergrowth" and typical european "ferns" - just like we know it from real woods.

Also the sounds of weapons could be changed to hear them from farer distances and let them "reverb" a bit more... Also the bass-part could be hear able over long distances...

Ever heard a tank or artillery fire at a maneuver/else and you were near in a wood? I was and i can tell you that you actually can feel the bass in your legs...

Regards, Christian

For shame, diversity is big frame killer, because "scene graph" is in this case very complex and it makes trouble for CPU to prepare scene for drawing. Also big diversity is limiting factor for instancing. So we must find compromise between visual quality and minimal requierements.

Thank you for the info ohara. I'm sure a lot of people will understand these limitations.

Long time ago i liked your honesty about ArmA vegetations and the drop of FPS, though you did improve it in a way that changed the game for better. smile_o.gif

For a familiar subject..

I quote:

Development of a system for automatic generation of special lods is the first step towards a more general system that will one day allow tree skeleton creation and also a future system for physical interaction with vegetation.

Source (last frase)

This is very interesting! inlove.gif

If i may ask:

ohara, do you believe this can be a feature for ArmA2? Will we be able to destroy/break brenches with fire power like other games do?

I wish not to compare, but will it allow something similar that happens in crysis?

edit: ohara thanks for the quick reply smile_o.gif

Not for ArmaII, crysis have just two types of destructible trees what i remember. Making general system will need lot of time on side of Linda and engine also, there is no time for such complex development and research in Arma II. I still have lot of work on just simple models, generating of geometry and some pine trees tweaking.

I think the only tree in crysis that could be shot down by bullets were the palm trees (and some polyplanes but not sure) which can be also achieved in OFP:). The interaction with branches together with rustling noise are a nice though in Crysis though. Also it was nice to see that all branches could move in wind which I hope will be in future bis game since that can create nice effect for example when chopper is flying nearby and in storm. smile_o.gif

For shame, diversity is big frame killer, because "scene graph" is in this case very complex and it makes trouble for CPU to prepare scene for drawing. Also big diversity is limiting factor for instancing. So we must find compromise between visual quality and minimal requierements.

Yes thats right sadly... however on this pic:

4-arma_2_gamestar_1.jpg

It already looks pretty diversified from inside of the forest - the stone and the smaller leafs left of it, thats the kind of stuff i would like to see more often in the final product(if its possible and not to mch ressource consuming).

But if you find the best compromise then its good i think - it looks already much much better than in ARMA1 wink_o.gif

Regards, Christian

Mr GC wrote:

if its possible and not to mch ressource consuming

I write

It can use so much performance as it has to be.

You know, ArmA2 is a Game in a new generation, that means you even can buy the Geforce 9600 and other High End stuff, so it dont have to be deployed for the today from last year hardware, it have to be build for the Hardware of this and next year!

They steal names. We need an account online system in ArmA 2 and a good campaign.

Quote[/b] ]There's gonna be a new preview in Czech mag "SCORE" It should be out in two days smile_o.gif

Something new about that preview? huh.gif

Yep, no new pics except this little one...

civsyu5.jpg

and no new info I think... nothing we wouldn't know. Besides that, author of the article liked the new AI, which is in his words, big improvement since OFP and Armed Assault. He also liked new possibilities in command and its simpler use.

credit goes to Geo for his scans smile_o.gif

What about the animations will they be as smooth as the figure doing cart-wheels on the video or will they be the same as the ones in ArmA? I think this will mean a lot to the PvP community because the way it was for ArmA Close Combat was terrible.

Also what about the ability of hand weapons like Knifes? Though I didn't see it in any videos or screenshots.

Uh, re the 'fluid animations', if you look closely, it's actually a video of a video of a demo tape from the Motion Capture division, highlighting work they've done for other customers.

Thanks for the reply, I couldn't make out what he was saying. So I guess no news on animations then sad_o.gif

[imghttp://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1583/civsyu5.jpg[/img][/url]

Is there a higher res version of this pic?

i hope the grass we see in that pic is not a problem like it was in ArmA.

Nice pick tough, reminds me the old eras.

Very small thing im sure you guys will think, but when will a animation be added to the drivers hands when he is steering a vehicle biggrin_o.gif It looks silly to see a steering wheel spinning while the hands are static. Other then that its looking great, very much interested on the pvp side of things and hope its back to how ofp played!

Very small thing im sure you guys will think, but when will a animation be added to the drivers hands when he is steering a vehicle  biggrin_o.gif   It looks silly to see a steering wheel spinning while the hands are static.  

Well small things make good games great... this is one of thoes "small" things that really should be fixed in a "Next Gen" game.