Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.09

Heatseeker, I actually meant effectiveness as in ability to penetrate, since I thought you meant two different things with "effectiveness and accuracy". Miscommunication... whistle.gif

I know what happened with the missing recoil of most weapons - it was moved to the russian KSVK - its recoil is just giant.

Not if you are prone. It shouldn't be a surprise that such a weapon is uncontrollable when unsupported. (Ah, if only you could rest guns on objects...)

But you seem to be right about the other thing - I tried it and KSVK couldn't destroy a bloody Skoda. It could punch its tires and break windows but several clips from it didn't disable it - it still moved! Meanwhile just 5 rounds from M107 set it in flames. Something is wrong.

I just tested it - you are right, if prone the recoil of KSVK disapears.

But M107 has no recoil no matter what stance you are in.

still seeing rnd armor bouncing thru object (buildings or non destructable walls)

(it drives into side/wall and then goes thru object, reset position and appears like 5m front the house and drive into it again, loop)

I saw that, too.

Also, the AI being too deaf is a big problem: one can actually drive a UAZ right behind them, get out and shoot them in the back without being noticed. There has to be a halfway solution between their earlier pinpoint accuracy and the current total deafness. BIS, please tweak this for the final 1.09.

Now that the beta is out and many other problems fixed, I think we could wait a bit more for the final patch if a few more tweaks can be made.

Most of the time I do not hear other players firing!

This is a bug. This will probably be resolved in an ArmA update asap

I would like to know when this is going to be fixed, because it's still happening in the beta 1.09 patch.

This may seem very random and pointless, but I think too much and like to share thoughts.

Streetlamps? Downloaded

Runway lights? Downloaded

New Civi Textures?  Downloaded

New soldier textures? Downloaded

Every other OFP addon? Downloaded.

These are fond memories; visiting OFP.info and downloading every god damn thing you saw to dink around with in the editor.

O2 comes out, community explodes, one of the most succesfull mod communities for a PC game erupts, BAS, WW2, SciFi, things went crazy, addons addons everywhere!  It was so exciting that Bush even invaded Iraq.

I look at Armed Assault and say to myself... this is nowhere near Operation Flashpoint.  What's going on here?  Why am I not downloading everything from ArmedAssault.info?  Nothing really appeals to me, aside from the UFO addon that I gigglesnorted with a few days ago.  And why the fuck are we still in Iraq?

It makes me cry at night to sad music, pet my dog while he wimpers, as I look out my window into the rainy road to see a homeless man collect cans from my garbage bin.... And think to myself...  Why?  

What appealed to me then that does not now?  Perhaps I just got so used to OFP that ArmA is really nothing new.

To be honest, it's something personal and potentially offensive.  

OFP addons > Armed Assault addons,

OFP community > Armed Assault community,

OFP in general > Armed Assault in general.

What the hell is going on?  

Where are my streetlamps?  

Where are my civilians to blow 500 feet in the air with satchels?  

Where is the fixed news reporter babe addon where her fingers aren't all fucked up like some alien from Star Trek that Captain Kirk would bang on some foreign planet?

Why are we still in Iraq?

It appears to me that the mod community was once this firm strand of toilet paper, and then Armed Assault fell right through the middle of it and split it in two, which caused them both to collapse and tumble into a toilet bowl filled with feces and spunk.

It may sound like I'm totally against ArmA, but really I'm not.  I love Armed Assault and the community it has.  It's just dissapointing.  I think we can all agree, things could be a lot better.

I was hoping that everyone from the OFP community would jump right over to Armed Assault and the community would remain booming.  That didn't happen.

Very little people are into Armed Assault.  I hate saying "Armed Assault" and everyone I know goes "HEY! What the hell is that?  Don't use that kind of foreign language around here, Mr!"

Then you say "Battlefield" and their brain radiates with glorious light - grow wings and fly off into the sunset.

I'm hoping this all changes with ArmA 2, meaning, I hope BIS makes a better game.

Please get ArmA 2 right, BIS.  Don't slack on the campaign, don't rush, give it some story, give it some cutscenes.  Give it some MMMFF that will make people say, holy shit, ArmA2 F'ing rocks.

Good games generate good reviews, Good reviews generate lots of interest, lots of interest generates lots of sales, lots of sales brings us lots of mod makers, lots of mod makers brings us lots of addons, lots of addons brings me lots of happiness, lots of my happiness brings me to never having to post a message like this on the BIForums again.

You reap what you sow, Bohemia.  Put some extra nitting into this one.

I hate to kind of toss the shitbag on BIS and say "great going."  They seriously did make a great game.  But every soul in this forum knows damn well that BIS can do better.

Put it simply, ArmA is great, but could have been more.

1.) The view of the gunner in the Stryker is still buggy. Since launch in November 2006.

2.) Why has the SV Dragunov been changed? It is NOT a single loader and therefore the two seconds delay after a shot do NOT belong there! PLEASE REMOVE THIS 1.9-BETA-BUG FROM THE SV DRAGUNOV!

3.) Would it be possible to add triggers and markers whose shape can be more customized? They should be polygonal instead of simple circles/ellypses and rectangles.

4.) There should be a tool in the editor (and maybe also as a scripting command) to create invisible areas that are considered as inaccessible by the AI. These areas should be customizable:

* ignored by defined sides

* enter under no circumstances

* enter only by explicit command (player or script)

* the features should be changeable during gameplay by scripts

So you could FOR EXAMPLE create things like mine fields that are not marked by warning signs and avoid certain AI sides to enter this area. Or just make the AI avoid these areas for any other reason.

5.) Could the loading screens of Queen's Gambit please be changed? Those graffittis are totally UGLY! Sure, ArmA is a great game and its developers are able persons who need to be honoured. But nevertheless I (and probably many other people too) hate those pictures. They also cause a BUG: they cover error messages caused by custom addons.

I would vote for "neutral" loading screens. Maybe photos of the ArmA landscape in ultra maximum quality with follow-up treatment like sepia effects or something like this.

This may seem very random and pointless, but I think too much and like to share thoughts.

etc, etc...

OPF came out in 2001 Zorb.. how was OPF in 2002? (one year later).

OPF had many addons, many addon versions, many modified addons, many server specific addon packs... and no JIP.

Some people complain about Evolution... in OPF some people complained about CTI, in Arma II they will find something to complain about too.

In OPF people wanted blackhawks with miniguns, SF operators with custom M4 rifles, littlebirds, strykers, hmmwv's with TOW launchers, etc.

Now that everyone wants to have OPF back theres CWR wich are doing a fine job.

Arma expanded more in one year than OPF did wink_o.gif .

If you consider that making addons for Arma is more complex and time consuming you will apretiate the nice addons out already.

You need a break m8, after many months of Arma i had to take a break recently, played some old games for a couple of weeks, wasted 5 days on Crysis (yuk crazy_o.gif ).

Another thing to consider is that ArmA custom addons are compared to the high quality addons that ship with the game.

In Opf you could have low/medium quality and it still looked not that bad and surely didn't stand out against the original game.

If you're making low quality addons in ArmA they'll look totally out of place.

I guess the result is that many modders from OpF never actually will try to do anything for ArmA since they think they lack talent. (actually its not my point of view, but its true)

@1.09 feedback:

The AI is much more fun to play with i think. Had many great combat situations in Evo since 1.09 was out. It seems one can actually last longer while under fire and rush to nearest cover for example. Before 1.09 you'd never make it running across a street if they spotted you before that. Now you can.

Turning rate with M136 on a shoulder is much better than before. I'd like to see animations like switching weapons / etc to be faster in general.

Also: is it just me or has the running/sprinting speed increased a bit?

Recoils? Hmmm. Dunno why they were changed tbh. Not a big deal though.

Anyone know how I can keep the P drive after installing the beta?

My P drive was removed upon installing the beta and reinstalling the modding tools did not generate a new virtual drive. Had to remove the beta completely, then reinstall the tools to get it back.

etc, etc...

OPF came out in 2001 Zorb.. how was OPF in 2002? (one year later).

OPF had many addons, many addon versions, many modified addons, many server specific addon packs... and no JIP.

Some people complain about Evolution... in OPF some people complained about CTI, in Arma II they will find something to complain about too.

In OPF people wanted blackhawks with miniguns, SF operators with custom M4 rifles, littlebirds, strykers, hmmwv's with TOW launchers, etc.

Now that everyone wants to have OPF back theres CWR wich are doing a fine job.

Arma expanded more in one year than OPF did wink_o.gif .

If you consider that making addons for Arma is more complex and time consuming you will apretiate the nice addons out already.

You need a break m8, after many months of Arma i had to take a break recently, played some old games for a couple of weeks, wasted 5 days on Crysis (yuk crazy_o.gif ).

It doesn't matter how much time you give ArmA: with ArmA 2 coming out, ArmA1 won't be nearly as big with mods as OFP was.

As soon as the mod community for ArmA really picks up, ArmA2 will be on the shelves.

ArmA is a lot like the hooker you pick up, plow quickly, then toss to the side when you are done; you're getting married to a better woman (ArmA2) the next day so there is really no need to keep the hooker around. inlove.gif

As soon as the mod community for ArmA really picks up, ArmA2 will be on the shelves.

ArmA is a lot like the hooker you pick up, plow quickly, then toss to the side when you are done; you're getting married to a better woman (ArmA2) the next day so there is really no need to keep the hooker around. inlove.gif

And this is bad because.....?

It has been stated by BIS that porting ArmA1 addons over to ArmA2 will be very easy compared to OFP-->ArmA, so I really don't see a problem here.

Also, the AI being too deaf is a big problem: one can actually drive a UAZ right behind them, get out and shoot them in the back without being noticed. There has to be a halfway solution between their earlier pinpoint accuracy and the current total deafness. BIS, please tweak this for the final 1.09.

Do you have any test mission to back this up?

I've been unable to reproduce this myself. AI always hear me (AI skill set to 0.50) approaching him from behind in a UAZ at around ~50-70 m driving at normal speed then he turns around and engages me, that seems pretty OK to me...

Link to test mission:

http://keycat.no-ip.com/files/ArmA_109b_AI_car_detect.zip

PS: I'm not saying the AI hearing levels is perfectly fine in 1.09 Beta yet. I just totally disagre with thoose of you claiming the AI to be deaf.

/KC

And this is bad because.....?

It has been stated by BIS that porting ArmA1 addons over to ArmA2 will be very easy compared to OFP-->ArmA, so I really don't see a problem here.

Well if this is the case, then mod away.

My thoughts:

Recoils are OK except for the MGs. Now, M240 = n00b c@nn0n (on maps where the M249 isn't available :P ).

I've fired a 7.62 weapon (albeit it wasn't an M240 or PK) and the recoil is much more ferocious than 5.56 guns, which I have also fired (and agree that they have extremely mild recoil). Check on YouTube for people firing the G3, for example, or the FN FAL. It's a hefty punch. The fact that the M240 and PK can be fired accurately when standing is, in my view, nuts.

Can't wait for 1.09, in any case. I do love patches.

Some AI changes in 1.09 may ruin many existing missions. Actually I have a base full of SLA units "feeling" seized by BLUFOR because there are two empty captured UH60MG inside that base. "Seized by side detected by the other size" triggers might suffer with the new AI changes now. I dont experience this problem with 1.08 with the very same mission setup.

I found also weird behaviour when trying to lock on enemy targets with Strellas and Stingers. At first I get the square correctly placed over the target with the target still far and aproaching head-on. With the target still in front of me and aproaching, the locking square goes down to the ground or sea level, few seconds later, with the target quite close the square is again over the target. This doesnt happen with 108.

Aside of that, the only big problem I see is the overal sound volume. It it is done to "raise" VOIP volume over anything else, then a better solution would be to lower the volume of everything only when someone is talking and then raising the volume of everything again to the normal level.

My thoughts:

Recoils are OK except for the MGs. Now, M240 = n00b c@nn0n (on maps where the M249 isn't available :P ).

I've fired a 7.62 weapon (albeit it wasn't an M240 or PK) and the recoil is much more ferocious than 5.56 guns, which I have also fired (and agree that they have extremely mild recoil). Check on YouTube for people firing the G3, for example, or the FN FAL. It's a hefty punch. The fact that the M240 and PK can be fired accurately when standing is, in my view, nuts.

Can't wait for 1.09, in any case. I do love patches.

I have fired thousands of rounds with the MG-3...is simply never ever had the idea to try this out while standing or kneeling...the 1150 rpm would throw you off.

The one and only time I fired the MG-3 from "the hip" since firing this 11kg Machine gun from the shoulder is simply insane, was an retreat battle drill exercise... this is more spraying rounds all over the place rather than aiming at something.

Btw... 1.09 still has no option for players to holster pistols... it's still A.I. only.

Still have the very annoying bug in which the game loses track of one of your AI and you end up with a "ghost" AI that you can't dismiss or control. Sometimes you are left with an empty slot.

It seems directly related to vehicles and if an AI gets killed (?).

For instance, you end up with an AI in F2, F3, F5 and F4 is permanently missing. Sometimes you end up with 4 yelling repeatedly "where are you!" even though 4 is dead. Rejoining the server is only way to fix it.

1.09 seems better for onboard sound (realtek alc850) but after a few hours of gameplay the old crackle sounds are back when I pan the "camera" around. This is the only game that gives me grief with audio.

The laser designator creates a white glowing light a close distance, a one-pixel-red-dot is only visible on targets faraway. Is this LOD related, too?

Also the designator+batteries doesn't seem to work (no dot visible; no laser target for GBU) for RACS units on dedicated servers? Another player acknowledged it in that session. Though I can't reproduce this bug in the editor.

Just found another evidence:

Also if they didnt fix it yet bluefor is the only one able to use the LD for some weird reason.

From changelog:

Fixed: leader, AI tanks subordinate to a player sometimes did not open fire against some enemy tanks.

Thank you Suma and the rest of BIS staff from fixing this problem,it also shows that you are indeed listening to the community,but after toying with the beta I've noticed that still no love for the attack choppers. confused_o.gif

Please BIS add a little more armor or tweak those AI "sniper" gunners.A single BRDM 2 or 2 T72 are able to kill the gunner or damage the engines in a Cobra in seconds,attack choppers aren't flying fortresses but this precision is killing me.

As a human player I can avoid the enemy fire with no problem but the AI barely has any chance to survive,many of my missions aren't playable because when I request air support to destroy a simple BRDM2 or a T72,those Cobras go down in seconds(even with the skill at 0.30 they still shoot from those BRDMs like friggin' snipers).

Found a small bug. If you run into the rear tubes of the M119 Howitzer your character often gets injured. Occasionally running into those parts also causes the player to jump strangely.

Weapons M4GL and M4A1GL appears to be the same weapon. Not sure if this happened with 1.09 or earlier, I just happened to notice it now. M4A1 version is supposed to support full automatic mode? But now it is semi and burst only, which is the same as the regular M4GL. Visually, they look the same as well.

If I were to ask for "new stuff" wrt default weaponry, it would be new and fixed M4 versions. Currently all M4GL versions have ACOGs even if it doesn't say so.

M4_ACOG (new, ACOG but no GL)

M4_GL (it's there now, but has the ACOG)

M4_GL_ACOG (there now, but not under this name)

M4_AIM_GL

M4_ACOG_SD

M4_SPR_SD

Similar variations to the AK74 would also be appreciated, but I don't know friendly this weapon is to attachments.

From changelog:

Fixed: leader, AI tanks subordinate to a player sometimes did not open fire against some enemy tanks.

Thank you Suma and the rest of BIS staff from fixing this problem,it also shows that you are indeed listening to the community,but after toying with the beta I've noticed that still no love for the attack choppers. confused_o.gif

Please BIS add a little more armor or tweak those AI "sniper" gunners.A single BRDM 2 or 2 T72 are able to kill the gunner or damage the engines in a Cobra in seconds,attack choppers aren't flying fortresses but this precision is killing me.

As a human player I can avoid the enemy fire with no problem but the AI barely has any chance to survive,many of my missions aren't playable because when I request air support to destroy a simple BRDM2 or a T72,those Cobras go down in seconds(even with the skill at 0.30 they still shoot from those BRDMs like friggin' snipers).

This command usely in a override file within a mission for the Classname for the vehicle makes them just shoot at the chopper not snipe u out crewVulnerable = false; But it does still happen time to time but they are no longer firing just at the pilots head

Thank you BIS. smile_o.gif

I just enjoyed four hours of ARMA fun with no performance issues.  It felt just like playing on the good old OFP- only new and improved. Fighting in the buildings and cities is a lot more fun in ARMA. Moving in and on buildings was always kind of clunky in OFP. I was playing the CWR Malden map and realized how small the villages were in the old version.  

I am looking forward to new mods and whatever changes you decide to make, but it is an excellent game right now.

Wish list:

Craters-I think someone made a mod for OFP, but I thought they were cool.  Probably can do something more realistic for ARMA.

Concussion daze/white out- This really added to the realism in OFP and I believe it was modded.

MORE WW2 stuff...Thank you Vilas for your recent Xmas present.  notworthy.gif

Great job on the patch and thanks again. Have a wonderful New Year!