city: 27/23

-----------------------------------------

woods: 19/20

wide area like desert: 46/42

mountain: 36/33

"up to 100% increase in frame rate" hehe nice one rofl.gif. still 20 - 25 fps on my hardware (all set to ultra low), while in Call of Duty 4 (recently relased) I have 90 - 100 fps on cool graphics... couldn't BI buy some other engine, instead of this crap? I hope in ArmA2 it will be improved...

and this is my wish list for ArmA 1.09: link. enjoy wink_o.gif.

I still have issues with night vision goggles.

First issue, it is impossible for me to fly with cockpit view. All is dark except the cockpit. (cockpit light affecting nvg ?)

Second issue, even long range light disturb the nvg.

I don't know how works the real nvg, but i think that pilots aren't flying with a sort of sixth sense ! tounge2.gif

Lumi=1.0

Contrast=1.0

I am alone to have that issue ? I don't remember when the nvg got changes via patch. 1.05 or 1.08 and i also don't remember if the previous version of the nvg was better.

But for now, night mission are really a pain for me.

Is there some sort of community mod dedicated for nvg ? I hope BIS will fix that before the 1.09 final release.

Military spec Night Vision Goggles

Please note that this one comes with a feature called autogain. I think ArmA is trying to replicate this. Not sure how autogain computes the illumination level in real life, but it seems logical to me that any bright lightsource would dim the device as it does in ArmA. Meybe there should be an action that says "lock to current level" or something? But only IF that option is available for real.

A friend that used this while in the army (I never got to try them), says they are quite awkward to use. First of all, the field of view is narrow (more so than the field of view in Arma, for the type he used). Secondly, while using it in a wooden area for a sneak attack at night, he would be constantly looking straight down in order to avoid stepping on any twigs that would give them away.

But then, he also had fun. He snuck up on a guard in complete darkness and sat within a meter from him. He stole his weapon and left biggrin_o.gif Imagine the surprice biggrin_o.gif

Anyway, considering the "twig factor", having to look down all the time to avoid being heard, I have no issues with this device having also a negative factor in ArmA. I think it is up to the mission designer to leave some sort of light available so that these aren't needed; dusk/dawn, some moonlight, or flare usage.

"up to 100% increase in frame rate" hehe nice one rofl.gif. still 20 - 25 fps on my hardware (all set to ultra low), while in Call of Duty 4 (recently relased) I have 90 - 100 fps on cool graphics...

That isn't right. I get about the same performance in COD4 and ArmA. So either you're talking crap or something is wrong on your side.

"cool graphics"?

Quote[/b] ]couldn't BI buy some other engine, instead of this crap?...

You have no idea tounge2.gif

Do you even know what an "engine" is?

VON feedback.

Direct speak is way too soft. Any distance over 5 meters and the volume drops off substantially.

We tried all volume settings, no difference.

Please note that this one comes with a feature called autogain. I think ArmA is trying to replicate this. Not sure how autogain computes the illumination level in real life, but it seems logical to me that any bright lightsource would dim the device as it does in ArmA. Meybe there should be an action that says "lock to current level" or something? But only IF that option is available for real.

I think you're not entirely right. I wouldn't expect perfect image quality from NVGoggles, but the one in Arma blacks out for me even if there is a distant light source far away. I just don't think that RL soldiers do missions in complete blackness, even if the device is otherwise awkward.

I stopped doing night missions completely, because for much of the time I was staring at a completely black screen when there are light sources in the distance in the line of sight. It's very annoying to play like that. I'd image autogain to adjust for light levels, but light has falloff in RL, which I think is not considered for the NVGoggles.

Quote[/b] ]

Direct speak is way too soft. Any distance over 5 meters and the volume drops off substantially.

I copy that. Although it may not be real the VON distance should be up to 100 metres. Or maybe 50? What about a new command setVONDistance XXX biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]"up to 100% increase in frame rate" hehe nice one rofl.gif. still 20 - 25 fps on my hardware (all set to ultra low), while in Call of Duty 4 (recently relased) I have 90 - 100 fps on cool graphics... couldn't BI buy some other engine, instead of this crap? I hope in ArmA2 it will be improved...

Well he ain't talking crap. I have similar problem. I can run Cod4 with full graphics, but arma...no way.

System specs: Amd athlon 3500+ 64x, 1gig 800 DDR2, MSI K9N Plat, geForce 7600gs top silent 512.

Quote[/b] ]"up to 100% increase in frame rate" hehe nice one rofl.gif. still 20 - 25 fps on my hardware (all set to ultra low), while in Call of Duty 4 (recently relased) I have 90 - 100 fps on cool graphics... couldn't BI buy some other engine, instead of this crap? I hope in ArmA2 it will be improved...

Well he ain't talking crap. I have similar problem. I can run Cod4 with full graphics, but arma...no way.

System specs: Amd athlon 3500+ 64x, 1gig 800 DDR2, MSI K9N Plat, geForce 7600gs top silent 512.

Full graphics? COD4 doesn't allow having certain settings above 'normal' on my setup, so it wont allow that on yours.

My PC: Athlon 64 X2 3000, 2GB DDR400 RAM, Geforce 7800GT. My FPS in COD4 is usually smooth, but not any better than ArmA. It is far from 90-100 FPS. Even if it did run well for him, it would be very unlikely to stay between 90-100FPS. Sounds like he just sees a smooth framerate and guesses what it is.

Playing the sniper levels with loads of grass, the FPS in COD4 isn't very smooth for me, going around 10-20.

This is at 1440x900 with AA and AF

I have ArmA on medium to very high settings at 1440x900 with AA and AF, and even in North Sahrani it runs smooth. Usually staying over 20. Past 20 I can't really tell the difference.

Something is definitely wrong with those figures. I don't see such a weird performance difference between the 2 games.

Military spec Night Vision Goggles

A friend that used this while in the army (I never got to try them), says they are quite awkward to use. First of all, the field of view is narrow (more so than the field of view in Arma, for the type he used). Secondly, while using it in a wooden area for a sneak attack at night, he would be constantly looking straight down in order to avoid stepping on any twigs that would give them away.

But then, he also had fun. He snuck up on a guard in complete darkness and sat within a meter from him. He stole his weapon and left biggrin_o.gif Imagine the surprice biggrin_o.gif

Anyway, considering the "twig factor", having to look down all the time to avoid being heard, I have no issues with this device having also a negative factor in ArmA. I think it is up to the mission designer to leave some sort of light available so that these aren't needed; dusk/dawn, some moonlight, or flare usage.

Okay.

But the most critical problem for me is for flying. How pilot can fly at night if there nvg don't allow them to see something ?

Do i need to "cheat" by using max luminosity + contrast (and ugly render so.. :S).

At least when i walk i see something, even if it's not enough to fight against AI sixth sense. But when flying i can't fly if i don't even see where my plane is.

Quote[/b] ]

I copy that. Although it may not be real the VON distance should be up to 100 metres. Or maybe 50? What about a new command setVONDistance XXX biggrin_o.gif

Yeah. It isn't only the distance, but just the general volume. If I'm standing right next to another player, the direct speak is still softer than the other channels.

It is a very cool idea though and we had some laughs trying it. But in the crunch while taking fire we instinctively used our TS or the standard VON binds due to the volume issue.

realy enjoying the changes so far thanks bis!

but i'm experiencing a strange bug while piloting heli's

when i get out of the copter as pilot my player immediatly

shoulders his rifle and goes into the prone position.

seems to be doing it in all the helicopters east&west,havent tried the planes yet though!

BiGGiBs

up to 100% increase in frame rate" hehe nice one rofl.gif. still 20 - 25 fps on my hardware (all set to ultra low), while in Call of Duty 4 (recently relased) I have 90 - 100 fps on cool graphics...
That isn't right. I get about the same performance in COD4 and ArmA. So either you're talking crap or something is wrong on your side.

well, who knows better how many FPS do I have in my games? me or you? if you don't believe, look at these screenshots: ArmA: image1, image2, image3; Call of Duty 4: image1, image2, image3, image4, image5, image6, image7; World in Conflict: image1.

if you still think I'm wrong, you must be from BIS smile_o.gif.

couldn't BI buy some other engine, instead of this crap?
You have no idea tounge2.gif

Do you even know what an "engine" is?

I dont care. I just want my game smooth, but this is the worst graphic engine I've ever seen in FPP games. I don't say it cuz I like to complain, but because I want my ArmA better than currently is. I didn't pay for slideshow and flying motor bikes, but for a nice game.

Well ArmA runs terribly on your PC huh.gif And it looks kinda gray.

What are your specs? You haven't mentioned them.

Those screens are not from 1.09 (I can tell by the northern grass). Performance should be a bit better with it, especially in the north.

As for "cool graphics" in COD4, well, they don't look like you have the settings on max. With FPS like that, why do you keep the settings so low? Because at those settings I wouldn't call them "cool graphics" whistle.gif

If Sahrani was modelled in the COD4 engine, no PC would be able to run it. ArmA can't use another engine, the maps just wont run in them. The engine arguments have happened plenty of times in these forums.

I have played COD4. With the settings on high, performance is similar to ArmA, as I explained in my previous post.

Quote[/b] ]if you still think I'm wrong, you must be from BIS smile_o.gif.

Nope smile_o.gif

There's two aspects I think that must be corrected in the final patch:

1-Voice over net (why it worked perfectly on Operation Flashpoint and now it is so bugged?)

2-Friendly AI. They get stuck a lot of times, they doesn't obbey the orders (a lot of times they just stand in place and you cannot order them to move, other times you say "4, fall back to formation", but it is said something like "4, follow 4" and he goes nowhere). This is very frustrating.

With FPS like that, why do you keep the settings so low? Because at those settings I wouldn't call them "cool graphics" whistle.gif

because the framerate is the most important thing for me in online games. I don't know how can't you see a difference past 20 fps... (maybe it's time for new glasses? wink_o.gif ) I can see even between 50-60, but 35-40 fps is a threshold/border(?) for me between breaking and smooth game.

by sayig "cool graphics", I meant my CoD4 on low details, compare to ArmA at ultra low. on similar settings CoD4 looks much better, on far better performance. I think I put enough screenshots to prove it?

my system spec is: Athlon 3200+, mobo: Abit NF7-S, 1GB of 400MHz RAM and GF 7800GS with 256MB of DDR3.

btw. sorry for my crappy english, it's just like my ArmA smile_o.gif.

because the framerate is most important for me in online games. I don't know how can't you see a difference past 20 fps... (maybe it's time for new glasses? wink_o.gif ) I can see even between 50-60, but 40-45 fps is a threshold/border(?) for me between breaking and smooth game.

my system spec is: Athlon 3200+, mobo: Abit NF7-S, 1GB of 400MHz RAM and GF 7800GS with 256MB DDR3.

btw. sorry for my crappy english.

Glasses wont make anybody see at a higher FPS tounge2.gif

FRAPS readings are only telling you average FPS in a short time. The FPS may be 90 in the reading, but if there is a 1/10th if a second gap between a few frames, you will notice it. And that happens often in games.

You will not be able to tell the difference between a video running at constant 25FPS and at constant 60FPS

There is a very good post by Gearjammer here which goes into more detail and is worth a read.

Quote[/b] ]

sayig "cool graphics", I meant my CoD4 on low details, compare to ArmA at ultra low. on similar settings CoD4 looks much better, on far better performance. I think my screenshots says enough?

True. But the viewdistance in COD4 is much lower wink_o.gif

Still, I play with much higher settings and get much better performance than that.

Looking at your specs, you CPU may be a bottleneck. I'm not sure though. Slower CPU would most likely cause more of these 'stutters' that make a seeming high FPS not seem so smooth, as well as many other factors.

my system spec is: Athlon 3200+, mobo: Abit NF7-S, 1GB of 400MHz RAM and GF 7800GS with 256MB DDR3.

I have a similar rig, a bit lower spec(Barton 2600+, 1gig RAM, 7600GT AGP) and I'm able to run ArmA perfectly fine(25+, sometimes drops under 20) at mostly normal(no AA and AF). I think the problem must be on your end, as there are several others with a similar rig that have the same preformance as me.

hmm, maybe I need to reinstal my Arma... icon_rolleyes.gif but 25 fps isn't "perfectly fine" for me :P. thx for your hints anyway.

Hey in a 50v50 AI onscreen battle you'll like 25 very much. It runs more than that most of the time, even in the north.

I have a similar rig, a bit lower spec(Barton 2600+, 1gig RAM, 7600GT AGP)  and I'm able to run ArmA perfectly fine(25+, sometimes drops under 20) at mostly normal(no AA and AF). I think the problem must be on your end, as there are several others with a similar rig that have the same preformance as me.

Actually a 7600GT is quite a bit faster than a 7600GS

As much as half faster

7600GS is down near ATI1650pro and Nvidia 6600GT performance.Very minimal nowadays http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphic....art=275

I have very similiar specs as poster:

PIV 3.0 prescott,1 gig DDR400, 7600GS 512m

Its not even a 100$ video card, what can one expect nowadays

Altho I often play with my video overclocked its also fine at stock speeds.

Same as my laptop (struggles slightly) XP4000+ cpu, 1gig DDR, x600 256m

Alot has to do with how you tweak your system apparantly, you can't have anti virus programs,fraps and all that stuff running in background

I was playing with everything on low, now with new patch I am mosty normal and its fine (could handle normal before too but I'd rather have framerate than looks)

If I turm shading or shadow detail up from low (very low?) it kills it to a crawl.

AA and AF levels are fine at diff settings

New patch helps, maybe lower view distance to 'bout 400-500m to be comparable to COD

Someone needs to make a small island for us with less systems

This is the BEST patch for ArmA. It's not about getting bigger, it's about making better.

At last RPGs are not like laserguns. And moving RPG launcher sideways is adequate. Small arms recoil effect is good. Armored vehicles now act like armored vehicles - it's not that easy now to tear them apart by smashing'em with small caliber rockets and RPGs. FFAR firing rate now looks realistic.

And at last i'm hearing the sound with high dynamic range. At first i thought it was a bug, but then i realised the reason of "deafness" after firing and explosions.

I'm happy to see and hear the things we were talking here about some time ago.

i was looking for something else when i found this:

m113 at4 info

this is for those who think that a light anti-armor weapon can flip a tank, or take it out with 1-2 shots. I like the fact that 1.09 patch makes the armored vehicles more than just a death trap. i would like to see some tweaks on the damage system though.

This topic isn't about comparing ArmA with other game titles. Please stay on course...

alright, I gathered all my previous suggestions and added some new issues from 1.09 beta. this is rather a bug list, not wish list (except a few ones on the end), the more my post should be considered. I organized it in 3 parts: "The new issues" (that I've just found playing beta), "The old issues" (that I've found before and already posted), and "My wish list" (some new features that would make the game better).

well, let's get started.

The new issues:

1. increase MG's recoil while shooting from prone (this is like shooting fish in a barrel now) and standing positions. from crouch is ok.

2. rifles recoil and launchers firepower is now fine (flying blackhawk hit by RPG, loses control and tryes to land, or crashes - this is cool).

3. increase FFAR and mini-guns firepower (destroy any ground target is now almost impossible, need 10 rockets to smash light armored vehicle like BMP, and half of ammo (about 2000 rounds! ) to destroy a chopper staying on the ground. this is horrible and AH-6 is useless now! it MUST be fixed in final 1.09.

4. all choppers (except Ka-50) still doesn't atack it's targets. AH1-Z Cobra (in the Armory) doesn't even take off (keep staying and shooting targets from the ground).

5. when driving vehicles with AI, and switching from driver to gunner position, my character says "fast" and AI starts move fast, even though I wanna hold.

6. Shilka can shoot from too far, this is impossible to destroy it with FFAR.

7. still something wrong happens with ArmA, after switch to Windows and back to the game (performance falls down).

The old issues:

8. in The Armory (but I noticed that it happens also in missions! ), suddenly I get a message: "Good birds don't fly away from this game, I have only myself to blame", and then mission ends: image. I do the mission objectives and don't go away nowhere, but it still displays. maybe I'm stupid and don't speak english, but I don't understand it and can't play because of it!

9. god dammit trees and bushes still reduces framerate dramatically. while zooming the bush, my fps falls down from 70 to about 20, so this is hard to move my optics or aim fluently: before zooming: image, after zooming: image. it happens on high/very high shading details, so I think something is wrong with the graphics engine and it's using of pixel shader units.

10. flight model still suck. while turning around the choppers, altlitude falls down too quickly. I think this one from Battlefield 2 (I mean Cobra), was far better and fun.

11. since the first ArmA relase, something is wrong with the tank's engine sound, when switching from driver to the gunner position. if you switch too early (before tank completely stop), the engine works too fast (rps), and it's sound is too loud.

12. AI still too accurate, especially gunners on UAZs with MGs on the move, and AI troops at high distances.

13. SVD Dragunov fire rate like before (v1.08). this is semi-automatic weapon, and should be able to shoot faster.

14. the sound volume fades while firing guns from AH-6. and this is too hard now to destroy a chopper with guns (you can easily shoot it down, but not destroy when it stay on the ground). this is probly because of ammo type change (AP to HE). the same for FFAR - this is too hard to destroy armored targets. it would be ok, if ammo quantity could be increased from 12 to 18 or 24.

15. increase visibility in Kamov (sometimes it's hard to distinguish the sky of ground/water, and easily to lost orientation). this is impossible to find any small targets like troops etc.: image1. also remove the damn panel in Ka-50 (can't see nothing looking at flank! ): image2.

16. sound is still broken (can't hear all the sounds), when hardware acceleration or EAX is enabled (my sound card is nVidia Sound Storm), and it's not fixed since version 1.0!

17. javelin graphic bug (it happens after shot, when launcher is empty): image,

and still can't hit the target at medium range.

18. something's wrong while getting up, if I have binocular in hands. after get up, soldier put away binocular and take it on again, and again... so it takes so long: video. this is really annoying when sniping.

19. fix poor looking mp5 sight (noone like it nor use it): image1, image2.

My wish list:

20. possibility to set mouse sensitivity separately for infantry and vehicles (while sensitivity for inf. is fine, for vehicles is too slow, and inversely).

21. increase visibility in armored vehicles sight (there is too darkly, need higher brightness): image.

22. add AK-47 from RH_AKS mod: image1, image2, link, or some new weapons.

23. implement cool ricochet sound effect from FDF_Sounds mod v1.2 (not from the FDF 1.3! ): link, and maybe some other nice sounds from FDF v1.3?

24. add SDP_vehicles mod as default. this is 4 barrel shooting effect for Shilka and twin miniguns effect for AH-6: link, movie.

25. add unguided bombs (MK 82/84 for US aircrafts (A10, Harrier); FAB 250/500 for SLA aircrafts (Su34)), and CCIP bombing mode: image1, image2, image3, image4, to balance the new (1.09), stronger tanks. also add a smoke for armored vehicles, as a protection from unguided bombs.

26. add miniguns for Mi17 with rockets (like in AH-6): Mi17 armament, and remove (or move) that crap: image. it cover the targets!

27. add some simple RWS (Radar Warning System) and counter-measures (flares) for aircrafts/choppers; reduce range and probablity of hit for SAM's (Stinger/Strela), so they can hit aircraft only if it fly low, slow and in stright line.

28. add infrared(FLIR)/thermal vision, for some armored vehicles (f.e. tanks), or maybe also for some choppers...

I hope this is my last bug list for ArmA... icon_rolleyes.gif