Maybe one heli against 2 land vehicles or 4 aa soldiers or jets, etc.
*cough* You're the one who basically accused Arma 3 of being made because the game creators wanted to put in whatever they thought was cool, why be surprised that they thought that "one heli against 2 land vehicles or 4 aa soldiers or jets, etc." was actually a fantasy that they shouldn't bother entertaining because it didn't even work with their concept of what Arma is?

By the way, it's actually really cool to see that -- as funny as the video was -- ropeCreate and presumably other scripting command(s) are not limited to helicopters.

Sorry to change the topic but, seen as fire rates are tied to FPS you really notice how it blips up and down when you fire, especially when you fire full auto. Would it still sound and behave as it does now if the fire rates were slower?

Take the 50 cals on the hunters, way faster than an M2. When i set them to a real 50's fire rate i got no jitter what so ever. So surely it would be in the games best interest for the weapons fire rates to be reduced some what. Placebo or reality?

Sorry to change the topic but, seen as fire rates are tied to FPS you really notice how it blips up and down when you fire, especially when you fire full auto. Would it still sound and behave as it does now if the fire rates were slower?

Take the 50 cals on the hunters, way faster than an M2. When i set them to a real 50's fire rate i got no jitter what so ever. So surely it would be in the games best interest for the weapons fire rates to be reduced some what. Placebo or reality?

Well it is tied to FPS - try test those .50cals in Virtual Reality map , they should be same because both are M2 HB

I think the FPS loss is connected to the particels created when you fire (smoke) so if you fire full auto.....

Read this just:

While working on the Helicopters DLC, we've decided to improve our HMD technology a bit. Senior programmer Dan Doležel has investigated various possibilities, some of which have been already added before (like the stall indicator for planes). One of the main improvements is the possibility to have separate elements aiming in a fixed direction. That means a lot for players who tend to look around the cockpit (e.g. by using TrackIR) since the crosshair stays in the correct orientation while useful information moves with their view. Encoding Velociraptor Martin Gregor has set all the current helicopters to use the new system where it should be used. We aim to continue improving the HMDs with more features in the near future.

So I'm right in thinking that they are making a hud that will follow your head position? So when I look left all that info goes with me?

I think the FPS loss is connected to the particels created when you fire (smoke) so if you fire full auto.....

This. The ARMA series has had massive issues with overdraw because of particles since forever. They really need to implement something like high-speed off-screen particles to counter it.

I was only pointing out that there is more than one way to achieve balance rather than changing features of one vehicle in order to make it equal to an opposing vehicle. And that was only IF balance was the reason, which it might not be.

And bringing up comment I made about bi just putting in whatever they want was taken out of context. I was talking about how it seems the game was not where it was supposed to be at time of release. They had some issues a while back. I thought I remember something about a kind of direction change early on. How many things were unfinished by release? Pictures of vehicles that belonged to opposite factions at release. You can find a lot of skins/textures that weren't used. Greek and Russian was dropped. I would guess that they had vehicles completed that needed a new home. So rather than scrapping stuff, they found ways to work it into the factions we see now. You didn't see TK army with Stykers. But CSAT has a german vehicle. And Israel is not in NATO but most blufor vehicles are from Israel even though Israel doesn't give out those vehicles.

So yes, they did put in what they wanted and forced it to work. And it doesn't mean they ONLY put in what they want. Having an attack heli for blufor doesn't mean they should put helfires on a Merlin just so both sides have similar armaments. So having a mission with AA troops when there is a heli on the opposing side is not a fantasy. 2 armed Hunters can possibly fight off a heli. That is near balance.

I obviously type too much, but that doesn't mean it's that big of a deal. No matter how bad bi might do things (not that they do make things bad), I can still expect them to do what they have been doing previous armas.

On topic, I know this might not be a popular opinion, but the heli's look really bad when their blades disappear. I think it looks worse than leaving them on. Maybe you can replace the blades with a damaged version that still spins with little stubs for blades. It's especially worse when the blades don't get hit when hitting something with wheels or lower part of heli or bad landing. Also when it still flies a few hundred meters before crashing.

Or even consider GPU option for those particles

GPU option? Overdraw is already 100% a GPU issue. :confused:

GPU option? Overdraw is already 100% a GPU issue. :confused:

Well arma 3 particles use Physx right? and arma 3 uses physx only on CPU so i meant to use the Physx GPU particles (only on Nvidia's obviously)

Well arma 3 particles use Physx right? and arma 3 uses physx only on CPU so i meant to use the Physx GPU particles (only on Nvidia's obviously)

No, ARMA 3 does not use PhysX particles. Those are part of APEX PhysX, i.e. a GPU-only feature. A3's particles hardly interact with the environment at all.

Physics are also a completely separate subject to the actual rendering of particles, which is what causes slow-downs when lots of particles are in the scene. Accelerating particle physics won't change that.

No, ARMA 3 does not use PhysX particles. Those are part of APEX PhysX, i.e. a GPU-only feature. A3's particles hardly interact with the environment at all.

Physics are also a completely separate subject to the actual rendering of particles, which is what causes slow-downs when lots of particles are in the scene. Accelerating particle physics won't change that.

Hmm ok - just if the arma had PhysX particles that can hadle much more particles than one muzzle flash in full auto heh

Oooh. Today's(And yesterday's obviously) Dev patch notes are pretty juicy. ^^

It's the week of development wizardry.

Now that ArmaGu.exe is fixed, i'll be able to try all this goodness tonight. <3

Hmm ok - just if the arma had PhysX particles that can hadle much more particles than one muzzle flash in full auto heh

No, then it could more easily handle the physics interactions of the particles (for example: smoke being blown against and along a wall by wind, instead of going through).

But the slowdown is caused by drawing the particles, not by their physics interactions (which i think are nonexistent for the gunsmoke anyway), and cannot be improved by physX.

What I don't understand is, if the game used the GPU for drawing particles, would they be able to be synced between clients?

What I don't understand is, if the game used the GPU for drawing particles, would they be able to be synced between clients?

There's already so much confusion between particle rendering and particle simulation, and now you go and bring network synch into it. ;) The GPU already renders particles and this has nothing to do with networking, so the answer is no.

To get back to my original point: particle rendering is currently a massive framerate killer in A3, especially when you are close to a large number of particles. There is a method to remedy this issue, but BI would have to implement it.

I'm having way too much fun with these ropes:

It would be cool If it had grapple hook handler on it so you could actually climb on it..

It would be cool If it had grapple hook handler on it so you could actually climb on it..

We can always hope. Maybe once we get some more commands to control the ropes with someone can do it.

Be advised, Ropes in Multiplayer needs to be a priority. When in a server, apparently, only the host is able to sling load, but when a non-host interacts with ropes, they snap, as if the vehicle they are trying to lift is infinite weight. We confirmed this yesterday, but it should maybe be tested again for certainty. Secondly, ropes are not visible to other players but their own. This also needs to be priority, but just below the one mentioned a few lines up, DarkSideSix, out.

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

I'm having way too much fun with these ropes:

OMG, So much YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone tried very short ropes for articulated trucks?

If you can get the front wheels off the ground it sort of works but it's difficult to get the correct settings and even then a short rope is almost like using the direct attach method as there is very little movement.

Ok, just one simple thing that is seriously begging me now. When typing, no matter when, or where, the keys you press will also interact your character actions. So i'm typing, leaning left and right, moving forward, backward, and sideways, opening my compass and watch, and it's SOOOOOOOOOOO annoying, you have no idea. Can this be fixed? Like, seriously, in the next update?