Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

+1

In beta-(908) there is noway to get your men to withdraw fast when enemy tank is closing. And currently your teammates want to take a part in every conflict (no matter if half of them is running out of ammo and are injured). There really should be a command to keep your group following you in every situation.

+2

Main problem also seems to be that every mod raising AI awareness (and thus bringing up engagement ranges to a more realistic level) compound this problem since they are more aware of dangers.

The "engaging" part of combat is pretty sweet now, but sometimes you gotta disengage and break contact just as urgently.

since the "helicopter explodes when upside down" glitch has been fixed with the latest beta, I'd like to know what seems to be the problem with fixing the grenades and HE rounds explode on leaves and twigs?

because it's pi***** me off if I try to engage an enemy squad behind a light treeline or a few bushes with a grenade launcher or with machine cannon HE rounds....and the squad just walks away like nothing happened!

c'mon BIS, you already fixed the rockets and missiles which had the same problem, its pretty much about time to fix the grenades and HE rounds.

theres no need to make a reproduction mission in the editor because it happens EVERY TIME.

thank you very much

EDIT:

and I forgot, since the beta patches come with Battle Eye, I'm getting this error message while installing the patch

"NOT ENOUGH SPACE TO INSTALL APPLICATION"

....doesnt seem to have a negative effect though.

Edited by [GLT]Sarge

Thanks for bringing BattlEye anti-cheat back, now lets hope servers start using! Last time I tried a PUB server strange sh_t was going on so good timing!

Ohh one question, I assume the " -bepath=" parameter works just like in ArmA I?

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Still performance is down. 60141 was one of the best performance wise. Since the viewdistance for trees was implemented it's costing a lot of precious frames.

Please bis bring option for viewdistance trees, i want to keep my current 2500 VD with the framerate i got in 60141.

Vanilla 1.4 framerate is higher than current beta FYI.

Thank you mega-tons BIS for implementing (testing) objects in the VD-Fog. I thaught for a while i had Kju's draw distance addon running. :)

So far it works real good.

Beta 60141 was also best FPS wise i agree. Comparing however an empty map with this new long drawdistance i cant see any drop in FPS. Its more when things start happening. To me anyway.

Edited by Alex72

Thank you mega-tons BIS for implementing (testing) objects in the VD-Fog. I thaught for a while i had Kju's draw distance addon running. :)

Beta 60141 was also best FPS wise i agree. Comparing however an empty map with this new long drawdistance i cant see any drop in FPS. Its more when things start happening. To me anyway.

I've notice that too, was it BIS??

Thanks

Has anyone done a benchmark comparison between 1.04 and latest beta ? I know some of the latest beta's have been reported to have gone backwards in performance but is it still ahead of 1.04 in terms of smoothness and FPS ?
There was one or two betas that rendered the water twice, but all the rest are better than the default 1.04

Beta download is frustratingly slow today... is it me or is it slow for everyone? taken me like 20 minutes to get half way and then it timed out... 3rd time lucky :eek:

Beta download is frustratingly slow today...

...and yesterday. Also browsing the forum is dead slow my end!

BIS boys are getting inspiration from a pr0n hub and the terrabytes of d/l's are hampering progress.

Latest beta installed.

I bet it has something to do with the recent ACE release. Big bump in traffic. The slowdown started around the same time as the release.

Edited by sparks50

I don't really miss dial up, but thanks for the throwback.

Patch 60902:

AI teammates still stay in Danger mode if they feel like it, essentially refusing to move because there is an enemy 600m away behind some buildings that needs careful observation/shooting.

I couldn't get my team to cross a field that I had walked across unharmed and gave them a move waypoint on Safe mode so they could be fashionably late to the rest of the war.

***If I say that it is safe, then it IS SAFE***

I don't care what the AI thinks. My 7-3 command should override their opinion of the situation (and they should inform me when entering auto-danger mode). What if there was a tank platoon coming over the ridgeline and we had to reach cover ASAP and damn the AK-47s 500m away?

Just to follow up, team control doesn't really exist anymore with these settings. I have ordered my men to back 200m over a ridge, only to have them *advancing* slowly towards the enemy. They were doing quite well, but fighting on their own as if I didn't exist.

Ohh one question, I assume the "-bepath=" parameter works just like in ArmA I?

After testing I can answer my own question if someone else is wondering, "-bepath=" works just like ArmA I.

/KC

After testing I can answer my own question if someone else is wondering, "-bepath=" works just like ArmA I.

/KC

What does it do?

_neo_

Good find! Thanks BIS, this really ups the immersion when flying! :bounce3:

BTW, regarding the performance, for me the latest beta performs better than any before.

Did you compare a viewdistance limited scenario (where the additional trees etc. rendered in the latest beta patches play no role) vs. a scenario of "unlimited" VD?

I think only the former comparison is a fair one.

What does it do?

Nothing critical, it just give you control over where BattlEye puts it's DLL's and personally I prefer to keep game stuff away from my "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\..." folders and keep that stuff in my "D:\Games\..." folders and BIS games is one of few that gives you the control to decide it for yourself...

See here for more command line options...

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Startup_Parameters

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

We definitely need an option to make your squadies run like hell. The worst thing that can happen to your squad now is artillery fire in a warfare game. It doesn't even have to be spot on.. As commander you can't do anything other than watch them all die, while you can save yourself most of the time - because you manage to run away from the target zone instead of danger-move....

This is clearly a gap in the AI's "expert book", for you can't hide from artillery fire and you can't fight it either.

61012 for me was the worst performance I've had for a while with the betas since 60141. Because of this I couldn't really test the AI changes as I couldn't get playable FPS. I noted however that trees or heavily wooded areas affected the FPS more than usual, especially the generic pine trees. What is the latest beta's performance like?

61012 for me was the worst performance I've had for a while with the betas since 60141. Because of this I couldn't really test the AI changes as I couldn't get playable FPS. I noted however that trees or heavily wooded areas affected the FPS more than usual, especially the generic pine trees. What is the latest beta's performance like?

Yeah I reverted back, 61012 made my performance get all choppy, even tested it with previous versions, runs silky smooth but when 61012 installed it gets back to being choppy, not by much but its very noticeable. I really wish I could provide BI with info as to what might be causing this but dont know where to look.

Hi people,

since i hadn't actually a chance to put my hands on the game in the last few days and many builds have been released (60902 and up), can anybody tell me how AI infantry behaviour was eventually tweaked ? If so, is it now more like 60588-60819 builds (softer sormation, longer bounding) or its just similar to 60890 - 60899 builds (harder formation, short bounding) ?

Thx, i'm very curious/interested in that.

We definitely need an option to make your squadies run like hell. The worst thing that can happen to your squad now is artillery fire in a warfare game. It doesn't even have to be spot on.. As commander you can't do anything other than watch them all die, while you can save yourself most of the time - because you manage to run away from the target zone instead of danger-move....

This is clearly a gap in the AI's "expert book", for you can't hide from artillery fire and you can't fight it either.

Yes, this is one of the problems with AI teammates, would be better if it had an option on the menu, something like "run there" or whatever. In some cases you can use "copy my stance" that only if AI don't have enemies in sight.

Thank you mega-tons BIS for implementing (testing) objects in the VD-Fog.

Have they ? If so it didn't strike me as being very obvious as trees still pop up way before disappearing into the fog... (this would probably be a killer for my machine, but it would look awsome) Will have to pay a closer look...

As for the AI changes, I'm kinda lost in what's in an what's out in this latest beta...

The one thing that still looks weird is when the AI drops prone to face a wall in overwatch... (if near a wall couldn't they be told to watch the other way ?)

Generally speaking they should crouch/knee down more and go prone less often when near cover.

Edited by EricM

reproducible in editor (Chernarus)

- AI in helicopters and planes are flying too low and crashing into all kind of objects - especially if they attacking targets

Perhaps it helps to increase terrain awareness for AI as pilots in aircrafts and make them fly generally in a save height according to their behaviour?

- AI still goes through objects

- AI still goes close by burning/exploding vehicles

- at 107124 (SE of hill Dobryy) floating trees

- performance drops in bigger towns/cities

- autumn trees/bushes look only good if the view is zoomed in

- small pine trees (look like bush) change the shape the closer you are

not everytime reproducible

- AI firing at dead bodys, destroyed vehicles and vehicles with killed driver and gunner

I guess there is an issue transfering unit and vehicle status

playing Arma2 default missions getting following reports - among others:

Invalid path - length 1

Invalid path from [<numbers>] to [<numbers>]

VB Lock Failed, E-FAIL

Waiting for the next bigger AI update, performance boost and working periscopes on all vehicles. :)