Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

I'm automatically mirroring betas to http://mirror.quex.org/arma/beta/

You're welcome to download from there if you find it faster. BIS' server seems to have returned to its usual speed for me though, almost 200 KB/sec. But you never know when they'll get hammered again, I suppose. It polls the beta patch page every 15 minutes so should be reasonably up to date.

thanks

your mirror is much faster for me... getting dialup speed from BIS

Anyone having trouble with AI choppers in latest beta? Trial by fire won't start because the transport won't land. I don't know if this is a beta or ACE issue.

Edited by BoxiouS

Anyone having trouble with AI choppers in latest beta? Trial by fire won't start because the transport won't land. I don't know if this is a beta or ACE issue.

Then try without ACE and see :)

Tried latest 61062 build.

It seemed to me movement of units belonging to AI-led groups is still "unnatural" compared to builds 60588-60819, they behave like dogs too tightly leashed to leader, struggling to constantly move between nearby cover and optimal formation position.

This hurts group combat effectiveness, since too many men are moving at the same time for little or no reason, nobody really cares to cover others.

Really can't enjoy this new AI behaviour, it's a step back in my opinion.

Suma, is there any chance the changes have been recently done to improve group cohesion for Player-led groups will be restricted ONLY to the particular case of human leading?

AI groups behaviour was not broken in my opinion, it did not deserved this kind of "fix".

Thank you.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Gave the latest beta a try out today and in terms of performance it seemed to be pretty smooth and nice! However campaign fps still seems to be locked at around 24fps for some reason!

on latest 61062 beta build + latest ACE 2 update

was playing on one of the MP domination maps.

drafted about 4 friendly AIs to aid me and under my command, had no problem getting them to board a chopper, but upon reaching destination landing zone, all 4 friendly AIs refused to disembark the chopper when i issued the disembark command and they had acknowledged the command. someone told me to try issuing the eject command instead and i tried it, at that moment, chopper was already airborne but it worked and the 4 AIs parachuted down safely.

I don't know if this issue exists in earlier beta builds or is it caused by the ACE 2 mod.

Edited by ryan80

ffs guys, if your going to give bug reports disable ace.

[062] I seem to have finally got the dreaded sound bug where when turning, explosions etc follow the direction I am looking and not their point of origin.

I have skipped quite a few betas so dont know when it came into being. =0(

on latest 61062 beta build + latest ACE 2 update

was playing on one of the MP domination maps.

drafted about 4 friendly AIs to aid me and under my command, had no problem getting them to board a chopper, but upon reaching destination landing zone, all 4 friendly AIs refused to disembark the chopper when i issued the disembark command and they had acknowledged the command. someone told me to try issuing the eject command instead and i tried it, at that moment, chopper was already airborne but it worked and the 4 AIs parachuted down safely.

I don't know if this issue exists in earlier beta builds or is it caused by the ACE 2 mod.

Hi ryan80

Sounds like the Local Bug it is the Oldest major bug in the Real Virtuality engine. Been there since OFP1. It is also believed to be the culprit in several other issues.

Vote for this bug on the community issue tracker so it can finaly after 10 years get fixed!

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/1718

Kind Regards walker

AI is still spam radio with. Go i'm covering, Go i'm covering, Go i'm covering, Move, Go i'm covering, Move, Move, Go i'm covering, Go i'm covering, Go i'm covering :p

AI still attacks armor with small arms and often hestitate using AT weapons.

AI medics/corpsmen often spent half the war walking around before healing soldiers.

AI is still a pain to drag away from a firefight.

I was holding an RPG behind some sandbags, and got shot in the leg. My character dropped to the ground automatically. Because he went prone, he automatically switched to his rifle, which took maybe four utterly helpless seconds. I stood back up to run away, but was locked in place while laboriously getting out the launcher again. I panicked and lay down again, which my character accomplished after some confused movements. When I stood up the second time, thank god, I ordered a switch back to the rifle which was able to interrupt the RPG animation about halfway through.

whew

I think this should speak for itself.

Добавте команду боту в меню.

двигатель выключить!

Add the command to a bot in the menu.

engine off!

I was holding an RPG behind some sandbags, and got shot in the leg. My character dropped to the ground automatically. Because he went prone, he automatically switched to his rifle, which took maybe four utterly helpless seconds. I stood back up to run away, but was locked in place while laboriously getting out the launcher again. I panicked and lay down again, which my character accomplished after some confused movements. When I stood up the second time, thank god, I ordered a switch back to the rifle which was able to interrupt the RPG animation about halfway through.

whew

I think this should speak for itself.

We've all been there. "Stuck In Animation."

You guys ever noticed during a changing weapon animation you hear footstep sounds, even though you're standing still? :P

AI goes too often in crouch/prone position after combat regardless if player ordered them in safe or aware stance.

Imho orders given by player should override previous and change actual AI behaviour.

AI goes too often in crouch/prone position after combat regardless if player ordered them in safe or aware stance.

Imho orders given by player should override previous and change actual AI behaviour.

Thats been the problem all along since they added the auto combat mode. Also if AI goes into combat mode in the open and you try to order them to go to nearby buildings for cover they simply refuse and insist to fight in the open.

Also:

It often takes 3+ shots to bring AI down

AI still walks through walls(seen it a lot with concrete walls)

AI shoots on friendly when turning, going to prone etc.(like they shoot while doing the animation)

Edited by JW Custom

Are you using any mods? Usually 2 shots are well enough in my experience.

AI still walks through walls(seen it a lot with concrete walls)

Never noticed this, can you produce a repro?

I've seen many times AI going through wooden fences, though.

AI shoots on friendly when turning, going to prone etc.(like they shoot while doing the animation)

This is true and annoying.

It happens mostly with machinegunners during animation swithing, in my opinion.

The problem is less frequent in recent builds, but still there.

Are you using any mods? Usually 2 shots are well enough in my experience.

This happens with or without mods, it has been mentioned many times before it's not a new issue. It happens a lot online which could be lag even though i rarely get lag but it also happens when i host locally.

Never noticed this, can you produce a repro?

I've seen many times AI going through wooden fences, though.

I actually caught it on tape today :p

It happens around 26 seconds in.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJOk8Eihdgs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJOk8Eihdgs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Edited by JW Custom

This happens with or without mods, it has been mentioned many times before it's not a new issue. It happens a lot online which could be lag even though i rarely get lag but it also happens when i host locally.

I actually caught it on tape today :p

It happens around 26 seconds in.

Nice catch! :p

It's weird though, I thought one of the devs said the AI may do such stuff when the area is safe... but not during firefights..

AI is still spam radio with. Go i'm covering, Go i'm covering, Go i'm covering, Move, Go i'm covering, Move, Move, Go i'm covering, Go i'm covering, Go i'm covering :p

Ahh that is a bug is it? when i tested this beta out the other day i thought that was my fault as i bought around 19 snipers for a laugh and around 10 SMAW blokes, just to have them all running around in formation, started getting pretty confusing when the 3 tanks we were trying to blow up, started killing people left right and centre.

Go i'm covering, Shit 2 is down, Go i'm covering, Shit 10 is down, Go i'm covering, Fuck my leg, Move, Medic, Shit 9 is down Go i'm covering, Move, Move, Fuck, Go i'm covering, Go i'm covering, Shit 25 is down, Go i'm covering :p

Ahh that is a bug is it? when i tested this beta out the other day i thought that was my fault as i bought around 19 snipers for a laugh and around 10 SMAW blokes, just to have them all running around in formation, started getting pretty confusing when the 3 tanks we were trying to blow up, started killing people left right and centre.

Go i'm covering, Shit 2 is down, Go i'm covering, Shit 10 is down, Go i'm covering, Fuck my leg, Move, Medic, Shit 9 is down Go i'm covering, Move, Move, Fuck, Go i'm covering, Go i'm covering, Shit 25 is down, Go i'm covering :p

They have always been reporting these things but in some beta they started spam the radio like maniacs :p

It should be more because they're wearing body armour.

Good point, but also you have to remember that even at range, an assault rifle is capable of maiming arms and legs. They make up a large percentage of a human being and are devoid of armour.

A hit to one of the extremities could very well reduce the target to a non-combatant. Clearly, Arma 2's AI can't simulate the fear a bullet wound will induce on a target, but hopefully BIS will address this at some point. Curently, you have to shoot them until they die, rather than morale becoming a factor in the choice of AI units to withdraw or fight on . I think the ACE team have big plans for an injury system, so it might be worth watching that space :)

Body armor isn't modeled in A2.

The damage and hitpoint system becomes glaring and arcadish when using small calibers or shooting at long range, however.

JWCustom: all nice capturing that "on tape", but please keep the videos of the island to yourself for now ;)