OK, from what i found tank engines sound are much to quiet, tracks sounds too, cannon sound is still vanilla (like water pistol.... something on sample start), cannon of MI-48 doesnt have any sound, overall all explosions are too quiet over distances. Also i was expecting diferent sound of turret in tanks and apc's - this one sound like rc toys. I loved 2.5 equalizer - there sounds was better balanced - now whole big battlefield sound very quiet again, and player weapons sound loud (tank coaxial MG for example) - so i cannot turn volume up beacuse i will be deaf after using my own weapon.

Are you taking about this release or this release using the RHS patch???

Are you taking about this release or this release using the RHS patch???

Well he mentioned the Mi-48 which is vanilla so I assume he does not mean RHS

• Like 1

Well he mentioned the Mi-48 which is vanilla so I assume he does not mean RHS

Yes i was meaning Vanilla. As LJ stated he is programing this on headphones, i think its not too good for my speakers. I cant hear horn in 1p on most of vehicles for example, and all distant sound are very quiet. I'm using 2 Opus columns and amplituner yamaha RX-360, i am very...... disapointed about EDEN version of DF :(

Noticed that the Mk 20 C (normal/camo) have no reloading sounds. No problem with the long-barrel version.

disapointed about EDEN version of DF :(

To be honest, there's also something that bothers me about the distant sounds and the echoes, compared to vanilla ones. (i'm using headphones)

Hard to explain in english, but i feel like the echoes and distant sounds have less "flesh", less punch. maybe caused by insuficient volumes for these echoes and distant sounds, compared to other sounds (gunshots, snaps)? or maybe the distance over which the sound can "travel"? Or maybe something related to the directions in which the sound is propagating, or its speed?

Following these observations, the echo sound itself, for gunshots and explosions, is "shorter" in DF, so to say, it's as if the sound could only propagate itself at a relatively short distance (or at the opposite at an abnormaly high speed). As a consequence, the corresponding "blast effects" feel weaker...vanilla ones are a bit different : The echo/reverb feeling and the blast effects perceived are more punchy, and the echo samples last longer. So, with vanilla, we could say that the "sound wave effect" seem to travel farther, on a longer distance, in all directions. IMO those effects sound more realistic in vanilla. Also, i feel that the source of the sound, its source direction, is easier to locate in vanilla.

In vanilla, it's as if an "area of effect" sound/echo was propagating, it feels more solid, tied to its environment. As you discussed with Laxemann in Dynasound thread, it's maybe related to those "soundshaders" or "soundsets", their number in order to break down or compose a whole sound effect, the way they're triggering the sounds, the way they can stack, or the way they can switch from one to the other regarding the distance. idk.

it's quite obvious with an open environment, with cliffs or mountains in the background, or even in cities or forests, when the gunshots or explosions are heard from a good distance (400-500 meters and beyond i'd say : to figure it my avatar is in the coumpound above stratis airport on the mountain, and the firefights are taking place in Agia Marina). Even when we shoot in 1rst/3rd person view btw.

Just some observations and a personal opinion of course. Tried to explain the best i can... Some of you guys do feel the same about that?

Anyways, there are certainly some rooms for improvement with these new mechanics, you'll find the right solution :)

I love that new update <3 Keep on working on this, it is getting more awesome with every update.

Regards Arkensor

• Like 1

LJ thanks for the new release.

I noticed that currently missed sounds at shooting with sound supressors for hand Heavy Machine Guns (Marksmen weapons)

Not your best release, LJ. Distant firefights sound like I'm watching a 240p youtube video. The punchiness that vanilla has with distant sounds is lost. Right now vanilla is just better under many aspects.

I do understand that with the overhauled sound engine it's not easy to go back to how it was.

Not your best release, LJ. 

There was too little time to create a version of Eden. Probably LJ was in a hurry

• Like 1

Thanks Jarhead, I really appreciate the incredible amount of hard work that you put into this and all your releases. The improvements to the A3 sound engine coupled with your brutal and immersive sounds make for an amazing audio experience.  

None of the links work for me properly

Any chance that this will be added to mediafire, dropbox, or google drive?

Mainly get bad feedback for my work. That's interesting. To be honest I never tested the vanilla sounds for my self and never wanted to compare my work to it. And I never will ... Ever.

Even if Bohemia had a bad sound in their game during the last few years of ArmA, you should still remember that they have big libraries and MONEY for their sound sfx. I don't ... Also I'm not a professional. Still people complain that df is not "better" than the vanilla sound. Maybe it was before but this Eden update was to 50 percent just about the sound. So I'm not surprised they finally overtaken me... At some point it's impossible to be "better" than a company... But that was surely never my goal.

I created my own sound. The one I like and play with. And I liked to share it you, no matter if you like it or if it's better than anyone else's work.

So be glad and happy that ArmA has finally a good sound that works out for you! You don't have to struggle with soundmods anymore and can be sure it has less issues and problems. ;)

I for myself enjoy my work the way it is. That's the most important thing.

Enjoy your game and take care! :)

Till then,

LJ

• Like 9

With the release of Eden there may be an argument that BI have indeed raised there game with sound, BUT without guys like LJ pushing the boundaries of the sound engine we would still be listening to the poor sub-standard vanilla soundscape we have endured for many years.

A sound project as large as DragonFyre Eden needs to be absorbed over days and weeks, how negative opinions can be formed within 24 hours of release is quite ridiculous. 

If people are finding problems with the mod, give LJ a fighting chance, back up your claims with some visual or audio evidence rather than flippant off the cuff remarks.

As regards the negative feedback about DragonFyre Eden...... 

There was too little time to create a version of Eden. Probably LJ was in a hurry

Ridiculous comment.  :annoy:

So just to clarify, the current 2.5 build wont work like that with the Eden Update. But so far with the stuff I got from the Dev build I'm ahead of the Eden Update with my development. Which means as soon as the Eden update is out, I should be able to release the mod updated and fully functioning.

So DragonFyre on my end is fully adapted to the currently running Eden version on the dev branch

LJ

• Like 3

Still people complain that df is not "better" than the vanilla sound. Maybe it was before but this Eden update was to 50 percent just about the sound. So I'm not surprised they finally overtaken me... At some point it's impossible to be "better" than a company... But that was surely never my goal.

I think you have all chances to be better than vanilla, but you need to spend a lot of time. Your work has already been better than vanilla, several times.

Ridiculous comment.  :annoy:

When I say - "There was too little time to create a version of Eden. Probably LJ was in a hurry

I was just trying to explain the reason for a bad release (if we have complaints from users!)

What in it ridiculous? Or you have another reason for a bad release?

• Like 2

I think you have all chances to be better than vanilla, but you need to spend a lot of time. Your work has already been better than vanilla, several times.

Well for me and I guess many more JSRS sounds are much better than vanilla(Eden). Maybe you have a problem with your computer .

Well for me and I guess many more JSRS sounds are much better than vanilla(Eden). Maybe you have a problem with your computer .

I play every version of JSRS and 2.5 was the best for me. EDEN is too quiet. It sounds good on headphones, but not on high columns Thats all. I have right to share my opinion, right? I wish the mod deveopers knows about it, to eventually take some corrections in the future. Its nothing bad in it isn't it? Its so called feedback - i writed what sounds bad, on which hardware, and on what stage (distance). There is nothing bad in our "complains". I highly respect job of people like LJ, beacuse i think, they inspired BIS to make such sound upgrade.

@Evil Organ - Within 24 hours i found all those bugs, tested it on various conditions, island, distances..... Whats ridiculus in that? Ridiculus is telling other people they have no right to share their opinion (and you done this in other words). All artists (including LJ) should recpect all opinions (including bad), to make their work perfect. Cheers, and sorry if someone understanded my post as offence.

• Like 4

I play every version of JSRS and 2.5 was the best for me. EDEN is too quiet. It sounds good on headphones, but not on high columns Thats all. I have right to share my opinion, right? I wish the mod deveopers knows about it, to eventually take some corrections in the future. Its nothing bad in it isn't it? Its so called feedback - i writed what sounds bad, on which hardware, and on what stage (distance). There is nothing bad in our "complains". I highly respect job of people like LJ, beacuse i think, they inspired BIS to make such sound upgrade.

@Evil Organ - Within 24 hours i found all those bugs, tested it on various conditions, island, distances..... Whats ridiculus in that? Ridiculus is telling other people they have no right to share their opinion (and you done this in other words). All artists (including LJ) should recpect all opinions (including bad), to make their work perfect. Cheers, and sorry if someone understanded my post as offence.

So in other words you prefer vanilla sounds?

For now, in some aspect - yes. There is something that JSRS have, and vanilla doesnt. For example:
- Sounds of falling objects in 1p and 3p inside vehicle (when driving through fence, crashing into something) - JSRS had very good sound set for that -  around 6 sounds, while there is only 2 or 1 in vanilla.
But there is lot of sounds missing in every sound mod and in vanilla like parachuting, getting hit inside vehicle (round hit armor)
etc.... Overall battle is much louder and deeper in vanilla for me.

There is also Dynasound which have very good explosion sounds (never will foget about bomb explosion....) and it worked with RHS, which is additional plus, second plus is distance for helicopters sounds - only DS have it on real values, Vanilla and DF have too short range for them. I can count endlessly, but in the end, there is no perfect mod, there is no perfect vanilla. I wish LJ, Laxemann, and BIS guys start to work together, but as LJ stated, he will propably lose his passion then.

There is also one thing - in the evening, when all falls to sleep i put on my headphones and enjoying DF EDEN ;)

First of all I want to say thanks for the update LJ and your dedication to one of the best audio mods around!

I play every version of JSRS and 2.5 was the best for me. EDEN is too quiet.

I have to agree. Love the new stuff in EDEN but as mentioned above sounds like moving sounds, some ambient like birds, glass shattering, engine sounds and probably other sounds have much lower volume than in 2.5  Update 1.1 on my setup (playing with headphones, volumeFX=4.6331725, and 128 channels in setup).

Another thing worth mentioning to the "complainers" about the "complainers"...IMHO  feedback != complaining if done in proper way without disrespect etc. I'm sure LJ are well aware about that.

Wished there was separate volume sliders in A3 for different effect since my guess is that it's hard to get it right for everyone due to the variety of ears/soundcards/speakers/headphones/drivers all with different specifications and qualities.

BTW: Anyone having issues when using the MG on AH-9? I only hear the sound if I fire short burst but it goes silent if holding down the trigger for sustained firing.

/KC

• Like 1

Totally agree!

Maybe the lower volumes in EDEN release are related to this?

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/188211-is-it-just-me-or-are-the-new-sounds-too-quiet/

/KC

Yeah I started that thread and I still stand by it. The new EDEN sounds; especially the ambient map sounds, are way WAY too quiet. I sorta feel like that alone has set LJ and every other sound modder up to fail. Just my 2 cents.

The new default sounds are very good. But it feels pointless because everything is so soft it still feels like it's just me walking through a hallway where all the sounds are coming through doors that are closed. Like they're there but not there if I'm making sense. Gunshots (to me) walking sounds and reload all sound ok but everything else is way too muted.

• Like 1