LordJarhead I kinda got the @ss end of this discussion. But for what its worth. I really value the work put into JSRS. It has blown my mind sound wise. I really think they could use your more officially. No disrespect to the BIS sound guys.

That said I am not sure if this has been asked, but would JSRS ever be on Steam Workshop? I have to often download the whole sound pack from scratch when changes happen.

Well I just reloaded the Mk20EGLM and the sound was there. So I was probably mistaken.

LJ here is another one that could be improved but as always it's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth...

- The creaking/slamming sound in the AH-9/MH-9 (maybe others as well but I primarily fly the LB) sounds like the heli are about to break apart any moment and more important it drowns the engine sound inside the cockpit.

The engine sound is a very useful feedback to hear when the rotor disc is loaded etc. as well as hearing some frame stress sound like in vanilla when you push the heli to it limit.

- As previously mentioned the mini gun sound only works for short burst.

--

EDIT:

Out of curiosity I snatched my brothers headset which use exactly the same driver as the one I use except it is analog instead of USB. I plugged it in to my a MB that uses  Realtek ALC1150 chipset and was surprised how different your mod sounded. I'm far from an audio expert but I didn't really expect this.

Even the volumes changed and now the environment sounds like moving, rain, winds, water splash... are loud and clear???

My guess is that the ALC1150 audio is superior to a crappy (i.e cheap) sound chip/driver on the USB version, anyone got some other explanation? I have only done a quick test but will test more.

The specs according to Corsair. They don't mention the specs for the USB DAC.

USB version - Vengeance 1500

• Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
  • Impedance: 32 Ohms @ 1kHz
  • Dynamic Range: 95dB (A-weighted)
  • Drivers: 50mm

Analog version - Vengeance 1400

• Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
  • Impedance: 32 Ohms @ 1kHz
  • Dynamic Range: 95dB (A-weighted)
  • Drivers: 50mm

LJ, as you probably already concluded given you have made sound mods for years I now better understand that it's close to impossible to get everything OK for everyone. As I already mention there are to many variations of hardware/headset/speakers/etc.

To prevent yourself for going crazy make the mod sound good for you and all we other will have to adapt or use another sound mod or vanilla. Having separate volume slider for different sounds would probably solve all/most of the volume balance issues but that's up to BIS.

PS: I doubt my brother will get these headphones back -  LOL

Keep it up mate!

/KC

It never ceases to amaze me how different one headset can sound from another. I'm having this shit-show now, between a HyperX Cloud Core, and a Razer Kraken Pro. I know they're not top of the line by a long shot, but in my land they're both expensible headsets. Now the Razer cost almost twice the price of the HyperX, and it sounds like shit, I mean really, they sound so bad I can't even use them as a backup. They're both simple, straight connected, analog headsets, but the explanation I've got from the vendor, is that the Razer is "equalized for gaming" (whatever the f*** that means). In practice, the Razers have absolutely no medium-high, to high frecuency output, and the bass is all you hear. You can imagine. Using the equalizer does not helps. because somehow the drivers are setup so they simply don't play high frecuencies. Now coming back to the topic here, I was just going through this, when EDEN update came out. So you can imagine, how biased the opinions about audio in games can be, from one person to another, with this senseless diversity of audio setups going among the playerbase.

your conclusions might did the trick. For a very long time I used the analog realtek driver which is the best. Just around half a year ago I got one usb external soundcard that I used for traveling. Then the beyerdynamics headphones had so much ohm I had to use the usb card to power them enough.

Shouldn't have done that and will go back to analog again. I never used soundcards and never wanted it because I always said "I make the soundmod the way most player would play it... analog! Only few really get soundcards and crappy creative HD Ultra Super Hyper Gaming bullshit". That's the problem with the razors either... Kiddies want this stupid bass overkill when they play their cod and other Hollywood Michael Bay like game :x

LJ

• Like 1

Razer is "equalized for gaming" (whatever the f*** that means).

LOL!

I looked at some Razer stuff before but as soon as I saw all the green "cool" stuff I realized it's just to lure in the younger crowd and stayed away.

Also tested their Virtual Surround drivers and to even try it you had to install a whole f***ing cloud crap software as well as making an account and login to it - their argument was that your settings was stored in the cloud as well as on the HD.

Come on, all they want is to get your e-mail/data and be able to push adds to you.

The drivers where about 5 MB but the whole package was 250+ MB bloatware!

Sorry for sliding off topic will align myself now :)

/KC

It never ceases to amaze me how different one headset can sound from another. I'm having this shit-show now, between a HyperX Cloud Core, and a Razer Kraken Pro. I know they're not top of the line by a long shot, but in my land they're both expensible headsets. Now the Razer cost almost twice the price of the HyperX, and it sounds like shit, I mean really, they sound so bad I can't even use them as a backup. They're both simple, straight connected, analog headsets, but the explanation I've got from the vendor, is that the Razer is "equalized for gaming" (whatever the f*** that means). In practice, the Razers have absolutely no medium-high, to high frecuency output, and the bass is all you hear. You can imagine. Using the equalizer does not helps. because somehow the drivers are setup so they simply don't play high frecuencies. Now coming back to the topic here, I was just going through this, when EDEN update came out. So you can imagine, how biased the opinions about audio in games can be, from one person to another, with this senseless diversity of audio setups going among the playerbase.

I have a HyperX Headset and I think it is out-freaking-standing.  Forget the actual name of the model as its not on the headset itself and I'm too lazy to go hunt for the box, but I was really impressed when I got it.

Love the sounds but one issue, what's with the thunder sound effects sounding like a grenade went off? Doesn't sound like thunder anymore.

your conclusions might did the trick. For a very long time I used the analog realtek driver which is the best. Just around half a year ago I got one usb external soundcard that I used for traveling. Then the beyerdynamics headphones had so much ohm I had to use the usb card to power them enough.

Shouldn't have done that and will go back to analog again. I never used soundcards and never wanted it because I always said "I make the soundmod the way most player would play it... analog! Only few really get soundcards and crappy creative HD Ultra Super Hyper Gaming bullshit". That's the problem with the razors either... Kiddies want this stupid bass overkill when they play their cod and other Hollywood Michael Bay like game :x

LJ

Haha, I remember when I was working on ACE SM back in 2010, people told me that I should buy a dedicated soundcard because that's what most people listen Arma with.

Love the sounds but one issue, what's with the thunder sound effects sounding like a grenade went off? Doesn't sound like thunder anymore.

Weird, just tried the thunder sound last night and on my HW it sounded OK, like far distant rumble.

Are there any easy way to record the sound in the game, that way we could compare better? I know about YT but I mean simpler and sound only to a simple wav/mp3 file.

/KC

Haha, I remember when I was working on ACE SM back in 2010, people told me that I should buy a dedicated soundcard because that's what most people listen Arma with.

And when you stopped working on ACSE we all cried long into the night. 2 years later and finally we're starting to get some of the features you originally made in the vanilla game. Still not sounding as good as what you came up with.   

To ring in on the soundcard discussion... I use a Xonar DGX soundcard on Hifi settings and on 2ch 41kb/s it sounds only slightly different to my mobo's onboard sound. It's only when I move to 8ch 96kb/s that it starts to beat the onboard by a large margin. I don't get missing sounds or anything like that, it just sounds crisp and clean. I've also slightly adjusted my EQ but that's more due to my headset being not quite perfect flat EQ wise so not a big deal. 

I've never messed with these USB soundcards/Razer soundcards, are they really so different?

And when you stopped working on ACSE we all cried long into the night. 2 years later and finally we're starting to get some of the features you originally made in the vanilla game. Still not sounding as good as what you came up with.   

To ring in on the soundcard discussion... I use a Xonar DGX soundcard on Hifi settings and on 2ch 41kb/s it sounds only slightly different to my mobo's onboard sound. It's only when I move to 8ch 96kb/s that it starts to beat the onboard by a large margin. I don't get missing sounds or anything like that, it just sounds crisp and clean. I've also slightly adjusted my EQ but that's more due to my headset being not quite perfect flat EQ wise so not a big deal. 

I've never messed with these USB soundcards/Razer soundcards, are they really so different?

Yeah I used the Xonar as well for a long time. But then I got a new desktop and it didn't into the smaller PCI slot. But the newer cards have the small PCI plug so I might get back to them one day.

Yeah I also have Creative and used the Razer HP for a short time. It might be cool for watching a movie if you are into heavy bass and hollywood action. Then it might make some kind of sense. But overall... nothing is better than simple neutral ranged Beyerdynamics I think :)

LJ

Regarding recording game sound I forgot that it's possible with good old Audacity (free).

https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

Tutorial

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Have really no idea if recording the in game sound is useful for LJ (?) but it could be fun to compare/discuss specific sounds,

Here is another nice software (free) that I used before and may be useful for someone don't having a equalizer in sound card software. It can do tons of other stuff.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

/KC

Having used the addon extensively last night,i cannot see where the negativity came from-this is a fantastic release.i especially like the new environmental sounds(confession-I used to remove the environmental pbo's from previous versions-but these are amazing!)

A really really good job LJ. Oh also-I love that vehicles can be heard further away-nice :D

Two errors I have-not sure if everyone does. 1-the cannon on the AAF Buzzard jet has no sound-totally silent. 2- RGO grenades are perfect,but RGN grenades don't have an explosion sound.It seems like only a portion of the sound plays,kind of just a little "thump" sound. Anyone else experience this?

• Like 1

Yeah I used the Xonar as well for a long time. But then I got a new desktop and it didn't into the smaller PCI slot. But the newer cards have the small PCI plug so I might get back to them one day.

Yeah I also have Creative and used the Razer HP for a short time. It might be cool for watching a movie if you are into heavy bass and hollywood action. Then it might make some kind of sense. But overall... nothing is better than simple neutral ranged Beyerdynamics I think :)

LJ

DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm, best Headphones ;-)

• Like 1

I have a HyperX Headset and I think it is out-freaking-standing.  Forget the actual name of the model as its not on the headset itself and I'm too lazy to go hunt for the box, but I was really impressed when I got it.

Yeah, they sound great for a gaming headset. Point being, that every headset made for gaming seems to sound quite different from the others, making giving opinions about sound mods, very difficult really. And that's not even considering the virtual surround that most sound cards are providing nowadays, which really changes everything, sometimes not neccesarily for the good.

Great update, thanks!

Can you release/Is there a list of patches anywhere? 

Specifically the ones you've added for configFile >> 'CfgPatches'

thanks

Hello. New addons JSRS EDEN broken. When fire tanks T-72 RHS crash the game. This problem only on your addon.

.rpt

Why is DragonFyre broken when RHS is crashing? Also JSRS does not support RHS yet and it designed to work with vanilla ArmA only...

LJ

JSRS RHS not working whith new JSRS EDEN?

No it is not.As it says above.

I was going to opt for a Kraken but the HyperX is more comfortable. Are you using it with onboard audio? Been debating getting one of those USB amp/soundcards for headphones..

I was going to opt for a Kraken but the HyperX is more comfortable. Are you using it with onboard audio? Been debating getting one of those USB amp/soundcards for headphones..

Asus Xonar DGX. But the same can be said when using the onboard audio. Between those two, get the HyperX. You will be instantly dissapointed with the Kraken. Regarding the USB 7.1 sound cards, I've read poor reviews, so I went for the analog headphones, and the Xonar to get the 5.1/7.1 virtual surround, and it sounds very good in Arma so far. I can really pinpoint the sound source in the scene, and no more annoying helicopters being heard only on one side, while the other being silent, standing 5 mts. from the sound source.

BTW, I've just checked the rifles with LJ's EDEN, and I almost hurt my ears  :) , I mean real actual hurt, so, yeah, for those who said the soundscape was too quiet... my ears say f*** you.  :lol: Now seriously, again, not even the volume of a sound mod can be compared between one audio setup and the other.

BTW, I've just checked the rifles with LJ's EDEN, and I almost hurt my ears  :) , I mean real actual hurt, so, yeah, for those who said the soundscape was too quiet... my ears say f*** you.  :lol: Now seriously, again, not even the volume of a sound mod can be compared between one audio setup and the other.

You´re right, the weaponsounds are loud enough. But a helicopter flyby or jet is way too quiet...

new update is great, finally had a chance to play with it

donated a meager amount

keep the good sounds coming!

So-anyone having the issue of the sound missing from the AAF Buzzard's cannon?

• Like 1

So-anyone having the issue of the sound missing from the AAF Buzzard's cannon?

Yes.

Hey LJ, I got a few more bugs for your list:

-Inroom gunshoots can be heard from outside like you´re inside.

-MH9 minigun sound is buggy

-Parachute sound missing