Now I got, didnt spot there is new default walk-toggle button combination S+W (or W+S). My bad.

I've just noticed that the command

setObjectViewdistance

will never exceed the object viewdistance set in the grafic options.

Is this behaviour intended? I think it makes this command quite useless.

Now I got, didnt spot there is new default walk-toggle button combination S+W (or W+S). My bad.

New since the release of Arma 3 ;)

It'd be great if we could possibly get a command to get a unit's squad number (the number shown in the group section).

Currently the only way I've figured out to do this is to do a waitUntil the unit's group is the same group as the group you want them to join, then finding the unit's index in the group's unit array, adding 1 to it and storing it as a global variable on the object.

Seeing as we're having tweaks to impacts on weapons (albeit "dirt" at the mo;-)) is there any chance of tweaking hits to unit appearing in the future? I use the excellent "bloodmist" mod but curious if there may be any official tweaks....

Not sure if it's recent behaviour but I've been testing some AI mods and comparing them to vanilla (Very basic NATO and OPFOR rifle squad walking in "safe" mode through a town) and I've noticed that in "safe" the AI gets as close as 200 metres or so before spotting and engaging. This seems really close (even for "safe"). Has it always been like this?

cheers

Raising and lowering weapons needs some attention. There is a serious animation glitch (imo) that forces the player to continue to move when he lowers or raises the weapon (main or sidearm) while moving: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17104

In general there should be a section dedicated to animations in the dev branch forum. I know there is an engine limitation but a lot of problems stem from it.

Probably also this, magazines diappearing: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22926 & http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22942

And: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17859 (rifle on back not moving with player)

I've just noticed that the command

setObjectViewdistance

will never exceed the object viewdistance set in the grafic options.

Is this behaviour intended? I think it makes this command quite useless.

I can set it higher than the one in the options. :confused:

My problem with it is that we don't have getObjectViewdistance and that it saves the new value to profile settings and not only within the mission.

I can set it higher than the one in the options. :confused:

My problem with it is that we don't have getObjectViewdistance and that it saves the new value to profile settings and not only within the mission.

Here's a which shows the issue I'm having.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKivXlO5r3Q&feature=youtu.be

And yes, that we don't have an getObjectViewDistant command, is annoying and is a mystery for me.

Damnit, first they make my WIP Arsenal type addon irrelevant, now they do the same with the group manager. :eek:

Admit it BI, where did you plant the cameras in my room? :icon_twisted:

Edited by Sniperwolf572

And yes, that we don't have an getObjectViewDistant command, is annoying and is a mystery for me.

Why would you want object view distance higher than view distance? The problem with that is that you start seeing floating trees and rocks and literally every object as if it were in a spider web.

Why would you want object view distance higher than view distance? The problem with that is that you start seeing floating trees and rocks and literally every object as if it were in a spider web.

I'm not trying to set objecVD higher then normal VD.

The issue with the flying objects is a completely different topic, it has to do with the terrain grid.

My video clearly shows the even if I set my VD to 12000, I cannot get a higher objectVD than 1500.

The Banana is Dancing in the Hot Summer Sun. :cool:

Touché. I yield. :shine::yay:

I see. In fact, you can't set object view distance higher than the view distance in the options, even when you increase the view distance with the command. So in your video, the object view distance is limited to 1500.

My video clearly shows the even if I set my VD to 12000, I cannot get a higher objectVD than 1500.

That's true, because you set the VD to 12000 with setviewdistance, not with the options.

I think this is related to the fact that setvd is mission specific, but setobjectvd changes your actual profile settings.

Edited by Greenfist

I see. In fact, you can't set object view distance higher than the view distance in the options, even when you increase the view distance with the command. So in your video, the object view distance is limited to 1500.

That's true, because you set the VD to 12000 with setviewdistance, not with the options.

I think this is related to the fact that setvd is mission specific, but setobjectvd changes your actual profile settings.

Thanks for the explanation. But should setObjecViewdistance work like setViewDistance ? In my opinion it should overwrite the objVD from the settings menu during the mission.

It could have been a conscious decision to limit the script-ability of object view distance, for QA reasons.

Or else you could get idiot/troll scripters and scenario designers executing code like 'setObjectViewDistance 24000' on the client and causing bad stutter and lag.

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

Was something adjusted with the isFlatEmpty function for 1.40?

I am getting strange error when using BIS_fnc_findOverwatch

Error in expression <rom 0 to 49 do {
_checkPos = _targetPos isFlatEmpty [3,0,0.5,5,0,FALSE,objNull];>
 Error position: <isFlatEmpty [3,0,0.5,5,0,FALSE,objNull];>
 Error Type Number,Not a Number, expected Number

Error position indicates there's could be something wrong with isFlatEmpty_array select 2 or select 3, being max gradient or gradient area.

_isFlat = (position _preview) isflatempty [
	(sizeof typeof _preview) / 2,	//--- Minimal distance from another object
	0,				//--- If 0, just check position. If >0, select new one
	0.7,				//--- Max gradient
	(sizeof typeof _preview),	//--- Gradient area
	0,				//--- 0 for restricted water, 2 for required water,
	false,				//--- True if some water can be in 25m radius
	_preview			//--- Ignored object
];

Going to bang away at it for a bit, there is a chance it's on my end, though I have never seen

Error Type Number,Not a Number, expected Number

before.

EDIT: Resolved.

Something has indeed been changed, but with nearestObject, not isFlatEmpty.

Prior to 1.40 I had been feeding a position array containing only [X,Y]. Example:

_pos = [X,Y];
_refObj = nearestObject [_pos,'All'];

And all was fine and dandy.

Now in 1.40

_pos = [X,Y];
diag_log (str _pos);     // [15000,15000,[color="#FF0000"]NaN[/color]]

_checkPos = [color="#FF0000"]_pos[/color] isFlatEmpty [3,0,0.5,5,0,FALSE,objNull];    // Error Type Number,Not a Number, expected Number

The fix:

_pos = [X,Y,[color="#008000"]Z[/color]];
diag_log (str _pos);     // [15000,15000,[color="#008000"]0[/color]]

Carry on ...

And some documentation of the issue:

Fixed: Added support for NaN values for operators and maths functions

http://dev.arma3.com/post/spotrep-00039

It could have been a conscious decision to limit the script-ability of object view distance, for QA reasons.

Or else you could get idiot/troll scripters and scenario designers executing code like 'setObjectViewDistance 24000' on the client and causing bad stutter and lag.

No, with setobjectviewdistance you can manipulate any player's video options. Here, play my mission in which I set your object VD to 50m. Then you can have fun figuring out why you can't see anything in any other mission you play afterwards. Now that's trolling. :)

No, with setobjectviewdistance you can manipulate any player's video options. Here, play my mission in which I set your object VD to 50m. Then you can have fun figuring out why you can't see anything in any other mission you play afterwards. Now that's trolling. :)

You can literally set it to 0. If it's for QA reasons, then it has to have a lower limit, too

setTrafficGap ?

Randomly found this when doing some stuff in the debug console. It isn't in the scripting wiki for Arma 3 but is in the TOH wiki.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setTrafficGap

(The other related commands show up as well enableTraffic, setTrafficDensity etc)

So is this a relic from yesteryear development, or is it something new (ported over) to be worked on?

edit: hmm, could have just been bulk-ported over https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Take_On_Helicopters:_New_Scripting_Commands_List

Have you noticed that in the dev branch there is a bug which cause you move slowly as walking pace?

1. Enter the editor

2. Set you as a soldier

3. start preview and move around by using WASD -- It is all ok

but!

4. abort to editor and choose continue(it is critical because I think the bug has something with it)

5. try to move around by using WASD -- you can only walk! you must press W+S to change the pace.

This happened days ago and can always be replicated!

Have you noticed that in the dev branch there is a bug which cause you move slowly as walking pace?

1. Enter the editor

2. Set you as a soldier

3. start preview and move around by using WASD -- It is all ok

but!

4. abort to editor and choose continue(it is critical because I think the bug has something with it)

5. try to move around by using WASD -- you can only walk! you must press W+S to change the pace.

This happened days ago and can always be replicated!

Standard pace has been set to walk in 1.40 so far I know. Whether this is intended or not, I don't know.

This has been mentioned before, I use a key to toggle walking, once pressed I can move around normally. It's just that at the beginning of a mission the toggle is set to "walk", not "run".

Standard pace has been set to walk in 1.40 so far I know. Whether this is intended or not, I don't know.

I would hope that it's not intended. It's more of an annoyance than anything else. The only time I ever walk is when I'm in an urban environment.