About drones for DEV :

In MAP, it's could be easiest to have the two option take control uav and take control turrets.

When we choose the land option, we can't return in back, the new direction or order can't work.

AI use drones later ?

So I tried shooting at one of the UGVs that I was connected to and it returned fire and killed me. Should that be possible?

Perhaps I was slightly misinterpreted and/or exaggerated. My point is (think of this as some positive feedback) that for when this debate originally arose (say, 1 hour before release), the drones are an extremely fun, useful, and cool asset, that was done pretty well for a first release, that had only been subject to minor internal QA. As a software developer Varanon, you should understand. I merely find it a tad churlish that one can start assuming it's the end of the world purely because from 1 hour since release there aren't indepth 3d models with texturing for multiple sides, there isn't a sophisticated AG mode controlled by the turret gunner rather than the driver, that there is the ability to open doors as a quadcopter.

By all means do state its flaws and hopefully these will be resolved - I wasn't saying not to. What is a bit off though is making out like the world will end tomorrow should we not see this in. I'm pretty sure it's a globally accepted issue (in the armaverse community) that one would want variants for differing factions; BIS themselves will most likely be well aware of this, and may or may not add/change/remove for release. Even if they miss release, they can always patch it; something that's been widely discussed recently is the issue about release being more of a patch to us guys, and the new guys will find themselves just with all the content to start off with that will only improve.

So I tried shooting at one of the UGVs that I was connected to and it returned fire and killed me. Should that be possible?

I don't think this is intended.

They seem to be using some kind of "sandbox" mission where players can spawn empty vehicles via GUI. (I remember playing one of these early on in the alpha, though I don't recall what it's called.)

No, it's Domination. We want to be able to spawn the UAV in script and have it attack targets that are designated by human players. As the UAV will be spawn by script, it has to be empty and thus, the terminal won't connect to it. :(

The 3 laws of robotics prevents that... Were you playing any freeware internet games while the UGV's firmware was updating?

This should not be possible:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

How to spawn operative UGV? When using this code, you cant connect to it with terminal - the UGV is lifeless:

_tg1 = [getmarkerpos "markername", 0, "B_UGV_01_F", WEST] call BIS_fnc_spawnVehicle;

Edit: Nevermind, looks like you need to use createVehicleCrew with it. Working nicely now. :)

Edited by SaOk

This is how terminator AI was created :D

The 3 laws of robotics prevents that... Were you playing any freeware internet games while the UGV's firmware was updating?

This makes me wonder, now that AV's are engine side, how much control the mission maker has over the UAV's behaviour. I'm thinking of some cyberwarfare scenario with enemy hackers getting control over your drones and such.

My bad, I forgot I'm not allowed to demonstrate my opinion but you are 8)

You can have your opinion, I can have mine. When I complain about something (like the same models), I try to reason why I do it (difficult identification).

I don't really find it a genuine point because as with anything, once it's been released, the bugs need to be ironed out... a simple retexture isn't terribly pressing, comparatively. (Nor a slight adjustment to size/shape)

You are not making any sense at all. I am not talking about a "simple retexture". I am talking about different actual models of the UAV. Like, it's not like Russians and Americans all use Predators, or do they?

If I followed your advice, I would be sitting here grinning like a fool for a week and then start to cautiously write something. I chose to say it immediately. The models especially for the fixed-wing UAV are all the same, only the textures are different. At any "normal" distance, you will not notice the texture but only the shape. All of them have the same canard-type wing configuration. Even if you can see it clearly, there is no way to tell them apart.

But it all doesn't matter. Even if you THINK the point wasn't genuine (which it was), you still don't have the right to rant at me like that. All this "rainbows and butterflies" attitude isn't helping anybody, not BIS, nor the players. If something is amiss, it should be possible to say it without getting jumped at immediately.

UAV controls are VERY impressive, I was expecting something a bit more similar to Arma 2 with interact with this, send to waypoint aand done, arrowhead was a pretty good upgrade but this is leagues ahead of that so well done very well done.

The only thing missing from it overall is the ability to stabilize the turret on the laser, locking it in place to track and follow otherwise things get a bit twitchy and hard to follow when zoomed in.

And that can be very bad if your designator moves off position and causes the missile to miss the target.

Edited by NodUnit

This is how terminator AI was created :D

ahahah, now i can imagine, what story of campaign will be. ;)

You can have your opinion, I can have mine. When I complain about something (like the same models), I try to reason why I do it (difficult identification).

You are not making any sense at all. I am not talking about a "simple retexture". I am talking about different actual models of the UAV. Like, it's not like Russians and Americans all use Predators, or do they?

If I followed your advice, I would be sitting here grinning like a fool for a week and then start to cautiously write something. I chose to say it immediately. The models especially for the fixed-wing UAV are all the same, only the textures are different. At any "normal" distance, you will not notice the texture but only the shape. All of them have the same canard-type wing configuration. Even if you can see it clearly, there is no way to tell them apart.

But it all doesn't matter. Even if you THINK the point wasn't genuine (which it was), you still don't have the right to rant at me like that. All this "rainbows and butterflies" attitude isn't helping anybody, not BIS, nor the players. If something is amiss, it should be possible to say it without getting jumped at immediately.

My previous deals with most of this.

However, this line:

Made me laugh. Perhaps so in the Armaverse, because the rockets were Skalpel ATGMs :') Who knows where the factions in A3 got their supplies from, though.

UAV controls are VERY impressive, I was expecting something a bit more similar to Arma 2 with interact with this, send to waypoint aand done, arrowhead was a pretty good upgrade but this is leagues ahead of that so well done very well done.

The only thing missing from it overall is the ability to stabilize the turret on the laser, locking it in place to track and follow rather than constantly updating the laser and possibly screwing up the trajectory on the last second, not so good if you're dealing with big bombs.

Indeed, this and turret controls actually control the weapon systems rather than the marker itself, but otherwise, I'm enjoying this for an initial release.

Because it's a UGV and you're not actually in it ;)

Not that I know of about optical stabilisation though.

Although if you wear scuba gear and take an APC underwater you won't drown, but the engine will eventually be destroyed. I assume this is from water going down the exhaust?

The only thing missing from it overall is the ability to stabilize the turret on the laser, locking it in place to track and follow rather than constantly updating the laser and possibly screwing up the trajectory on the last second, not so good if you're dealing with big bombs.

Agreed. Since you don't control the UAV's flight while aiming, this makes it almost impossible to consistently lase a target, plus failure to do so becomes the autopilot's fault, not your own. Camera stabilization was somewhat working in Arma 2's UAV,s although the general concept has been vastly improved in Arma 3.

Works well if your lasertargeting from the ground whilst the UAV is in its own flight path, you can destroy anything :) i killed a roadsign :)

emm do you reallise, thats just first remix of cold war crisis track? And OFP was made by BIS, just in case...

Just read first top voted coment there:

Right plus to be honest i prefer original OFP theme over ArmA 1 theme. Sound much more "deeper" and darker - fits the evil atmosfere of the OFP.

Such a great game BTW.

Can't wait to check out the new remix though :cool:

Edited by fragmachine

I seem to have problems getting the UAV to Taxi at all. The engine will start, but it won't move an inch. Any ideas? Or something I am clearly missing (Which is usually the case :D)

I seem to have problems getting the UAV to Taxi at all. The engine will start, but it won't move an inch. Any ideas? Or something I am clearly missing (Which is usually the case :D)

Is it on the runway or on land/whatever (other than the runway :P)?

Is it on the runway or on land/whatever (other than the runway :P)?

It's on the TARMAC that leads into the runway, should I just put it on the runway?

do other SLI players get the screen flickering in the terminal window ? Some pip's I get the flickering.. and some I do not...