Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

You finally relay did it! You manics! You did it! You blew up the radar dome! God damn you! God damn you all to HELL!

*sorry couldn't help myself :o*

So yeah, the Box looks fancy.

There's more "action" this time, and the guy in the foreground (Miller, right?) isn't pretend-screaming, which is a big plus. I like it. Way better than the last ones.

Superbly done.

Ah, now I remember why that face looked familiar. :D

No pointing, shouting, muzzle flashes,debris\sparks or a guy standing in the middle of the thing in a shooter's cover? Pff....

:rolleyes:

I like it. The Steam library cover will be what? (you can customize that anyway)

Looks good, I'm just glad the main light colours aren't Cyan and Orange, also the lack of yelling is a nice change of pace.

The Background imagery looks great but something about the guys face and colors/expression looks goofy to me I think it would look much better if the dude in front was nicely desaturated, less stylized, to match the the rest of the background, like if he just looked like he was part of the same "scene" as the tank and helicopter. Other than that I think it looks good, better than past box art in the series... right now it certainly is eye-catching though imo in more of a "This looks weird" way than a "holy crap that looks awesome and stands out what is that" way. Either way I'm sure it'll fulfill it's purpose and get people to look at the other side of the box regardless, it's just not an image I'm looking forward to seeing on my shelf as it is.

Box-Art is looking pretty slick, more mainstreamed, but amazing. Far better then the ones before! :)

Meh its better than the previous covers, but it could be better. The background tank, explosions and heli look great but the dude doesn't fit in at all. I think its because the background is filled with action whereas the guy doesn't seem to be doing much. It would have been better if he was aiming down the sights and crouched over so he looked like he too was in battle rather than just staring at you. Just my opinion.

edit yeah I feel the same as BobcatBob

The Background imagery looks great but something about the guys face and colors/expression looks goofy to me I think it would look much better if the dude in front was nicely desaturated, less stylized, to match the the rest of the background, like if he just looked like he was part of the same "scene" as the tank and helicopter

The guys doesn't look like he's part of the action and I think he should. Colours are great though.

Meh its better than the previous covers, but it could be better. The background tank, explosions and heli look great but the dude doesn't fit in at all. I think its because the background is filled with action whereas the guy doesn't seem to be doing much. It would have been better if he was aiming down the sights and crouched over so he looked like he too was in battle rather than just staring at you. Just my opinion.

edit yeah I feel the same as BobcatBob

The guys doesn't look like he's part of the action and I think he should. Colours are great though.

Better than A2 and OA covers.

Would have stilled liked it simpler though:

aHvaF8E.jpg

not that i will ever mind since i'll go for steam either way

I like this one:

arma-3-cover-art-242x342.jpg

I don't really like the composition of the new one, it looks too much like a bunch of random images randomly faded together.

The game is set in the future.

The new art box cover looks like a work of science fiction.

It will attract the science fiction crowd.

This will probably increase sales in comparison with the other games.

Expect a series of dumb questions on the forums such as why doesn’t this science fiction rifle penetrate this science fiction armour. That’s sooooo unrealistic! :)

The new box art is ok, but I it could have been more like this:

You forgot the orange streaks everywhere.

Better than A2 and OA covers.

Would have stilled liked it simpler though:

http://i.imgur.com/aHvaF8E.jpg

not that i will ever mind since i'll go for steam either way

Now that's sexy. I agree with you a nice simple cover looks much more professional and really attracts attention. Oh well, doesn't really matter.

Not enough explosions. Remember the basic FPS colour pallette: Grey, brown and explosion.

JAC_cover-old.jpgJAC_cover-new.jpg

It's out with the old... ...and it's in with the new!

Regarding the new cover art, I think it's worth mentioning that we didn't give ourselves a completely 'clean slate'. The previous artwork has obviously been out there for a while, and it had its own charm. We wanted to retain some of the distinctive elements, while taking it in a new direction and blending together the visual style across other media (e.g. in game, website, videos/ trailers). Consistency is king! :)

So, gone is the super-special tier-one sniper-elite medal-of-lone-wolf behind-Sam-Fisher-lines and, in his place, is a figure that's more immediately recognizable as being 'military'. Broadly, that means being a bit more 'part of a bigger structure', less autonomous, etc. Infantry is our first priority - so he's still the primary focus - but, it's now a bit clearer that infantry is just one part of a bigger military framework, as that's the beauty of the Arma sandbox.

It's also using in-game assets - adapted with some artistic license - rather than real-life assets from the previous art style. Overall, I much prefer this new direction. Even just the (sometimes difficult!) process of iterating on the artwork and discussing subjective preferences and ideas within the team has made the effort a worthwhile process. It's helped share the direction we're going in across the three studios (the third being our publishing hub in Prague), and refocus our goals by asking: 'what is it that Arma 3 should be about?'

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

The new cover art looks great. It has that real nice military look, that's what ArmA is all about :>

The cover art is perfect, eye catching without all the bullshit. Now if it looked something like this we would have something to whine about -

Planetside_2_02.jpg

I like this one:

http://www.zath.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/arma-3-cover-art-242x342.jpg

I don't really like the composition of the new one, it looks too much like a bunch of random images randomly faded together.

I'd agree with this. It was the first thing that sparked to my mind.

On the other hand I like the simplicity of Pufu's cover. If I were to spice it just a little more though, a .50 cal or 7.62 bullet at the bottom would at least suggest what the game is about. On the other hand, yes it will have back page to ;)

Edit - @Kuskov - I personally would not like cover like that ever. Its just too sold out IMO