Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

So, gone is the super-special tier-one sniper-elite medal-of-lone-wolf behind-Sam-Fisher-lines

Hmmm...

Arma3_artwork_02.jpgmetal_gear_solid_ground_zeroes_0.jpg

More like MGS to me... ;)

@Kuskov - I personally would not like cover like that ever. Its just too sold out IMO

That was the entire point of my post (if you are refering to the picture I posted). As for the simplicity of Pufu's cover, well from an advertising standpoint I would have to say that it is an epic fail. Seriously, a blank box doesn't exactly promote the games contents...

The second image (I presume new cover art) looks awesome! That's some real nice designing going on there.

New one is better, because it's done in more traditional way, and it's more like of previous ArmA games boxart's.

And yes, the old one is definitely very close for... well, you know for whom... :

"- I'm a soldier... I served my country for twenty years... But if I'm being captured or killed, no one will come and rescue me. I will never get a funeral. Because the nation, that I protect, can never admit that I exist. So, my death will go unmarked. My bones will go uncleaned... And I know, that this day will come... but I do know, that this must not be today.

I'm invisible. I'm relentless. I'm Sam Fisher. I'm a Splinter Cell."

:)

Was board

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXPlease note this is not an official release I was bored and thought I would put this on hereXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

http://i45.tinypic.com/nuwjp.png (539 kB)

Both covers are great IMO - the old one but also the new one.

Good job!

I definitely think this one below is more eye-appealing. Doesn't look as bland the other with the guy randomly standing lifeless.

JAC_cover-new.jpg

van ‘t Land: Learning from TKOH certainly helped us to evolve the Arma 3 team. We needed to really start looking towards the finish line and stop adding new functionality and content. Doing multiple public releases within the project (last year’s expo versions started this) helps train the team to deliver a final product. Doing this for the Alpha now, let’s us get things out of the way for the Q3 release and should help it be smoother. We get some great support from our studio in Prague when it comes to distribution and publishing!

I agree completely, and it is something I've been saying months ago with regards to clunkyness of infantry/basic gameplay mechanics - which should be top priority.

Uber FLIR & even body armour can wait for a patch after release.

van ‘t Land: The animation team has done some magic when it comes to movement fluidity. The addition of adjustable stances gives you a tactical advantage when peeking through windows or hiding behind corners. Playing Operation Arrowhead recently, I often felt stuck in my avatar. I do think it’s fair to say our focus is still on the big outdoors. Battles in natural terrain are where we excel. That said, with the new animations and some detailed interiors, there are very cool multiplayer opportunities. Next to that we are working on a set of Challenges which hone your skills when it comes to navigating obstacles as infantry in a fun way.

OMG, YES! But we knew that already... Good to read the state of mind about it from the devs themselves, though. :o

Will Arma 3 use Steam Workshop for mod and mission downloading?

van ‘t Land: We are certainly looking at all the benefits Steamworks integration can bring us and the community. I do not want to promise features until I see them fully integrated. We’re starting from the smallest type of modding and working our way up: scenarios, add-ons, mods and finally total conversions. Let’s quickly talk about one potential feature: publishing scenarios to Workshop from the editor and downloading them within the game. Next to that you would still be able to place scenarios manually in the game’s root Missions folder as well. It is important to us to help user-generated content developers to get their hard work to everyone who wants to try it. There should not be barriers like installation for those who cannot be bothered to find where they should copy some local file (but we have no intention of preventing loading add-ons and mods in these old/advanced ways).

I read about some concern that current content hosting websites become redundant, but I really do not believe that to be the case. They can see Steam Workshop as a competitor, but it would be much better to see it as an ally. Evolve and offer differentiating services. Write elaborate reviews and guides, run competitions and find other ways of adding to the mod community. My own history with Bohemia Interactive started with a fan site, about a year before the release of Cold War Crisis (Operation Flashpoint Network – OFPN). There were many similar concerns for example when big file-hosting services started appearing (e.g. Fileplanet), as well as dedicated mission depots (like the awesome OFPEC). Instead of fighting this, find ways to complement each other and cooperate. That benefits the developers, community and every single player of Arma 3.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Bleeding...bandages...hmmm...

I hope it comes in vanilla. Burns & proper wounds - "MEDIC! Morphine!"

Is tomorrow Tuesday yet? bjitu8.gif

Looks like ArmA3 will finally have something that mods had since OFP.

This on the other hand is good:

ppEffectForceInNVG

Finally - the ability to have realistic NVG noise and blurring without people "cheating" by having PP off

Does anyone know what "compass oscillation" is all about? I googled the term and it seems to be related to compass needles "wavering" from north, for example due to magnetic interference.

The setCompassOscillation command takes angle and frequency parameters, which seems to support this, but why would such a thing need to be in the game?

Does anyone know what "compass oscillation" is all about? I googled the term and it seems to be related to compass needles "wavering" from north, for example due to magnetic interference.

The setCompassOscillation command takes angle and frequency parameters, which seems to support this, but why would such a thing need to be in the game?

My guess: railgun.

Perhaps it reacts differently underwater and makes the compass in general more realistic? BIS is known for these details :)

Was board

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXPlease note this is not an official release I was bored and thought I would put this on hereXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

http://i45.tinypic.com/nuwjp.png (539 kB)

think we can safely assume you're not a graphic design artist haha :P

My guess: railgun.

I doubt that even BIS will go into such details although it would've been cool. Plus railguns are small in ArmA3.

But knowing BIS it may as well be a one-shot feature like a keypad in Coltan Blues connected to a mission objective perhaps.

addMagazines

Finally we can add more magazines with just one command

setOxygenRemaining

Confirms that oxygen underwater is limited

Rainbow

Rainbooow :O

removeGoggles

Goggles can be removed now

"setfatigue"

really happy to see this in.

Can't wait to se how the bleeding bandaging and breathing all work.

addMagazines

Finally we can add more magazines with just one command

setOxygenRemaining

Confirms that oxygen underwater is limited

Rainbow

Rainbooow :O

removeGoggles

Goggles can be removed now

and be placed on head danny? like the nvg can be toggle on off and flip to top position on helmet