Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

Hi people,

since i hadn't actually a chance to put my hands on the game in the last few days and many builds have been released (60902 and up), can anybody tell me how AI infantry behaviour was eventually tweaked ? If so, is it now more like 60588-60819 builds (softer sormation, longer bounding) or its just similar to 60890 - 60899 builds (harder formation, short bounding) ?

Thx, i'm very curious/interested in that.

If anything the bounds seem shorter, but the formations softer. Frankly its pretty hard to tell as the AI is terribly cautious and will often disobey a direct movement order to sit in a bush. :P

Groups of AI tend to crowd around the same piece of cover too. Easy meat for a single MG burst or Hand Grenade.... *shrug* then again so do people.

On a more positive note I've seen AI climb into towers (or lighthouses) of their own volition. That is nothing more than a simple GUARD - Safe order was given. This is amazingly cool; and I expect it might have something to do with the heavily urban landscapes OA seems to offer.

Overall the AI is better than 1.04 but suffers due to unexplained behaviour and general lack of situational awareness. I submit the list I presented earlier as a set of simple tweaks that would help the AI tenfold in appearing real.

-k

My Alt-Enter shortcut for switching to/from full screen mode no longer works. When in the graphic settings dialog I mean.

My Alt-Enter shortcut for switching to/from full screen mode no longer works. When in the graphic settings dialog I mean.

This is by design. When in graphics settings, use graphics settings (Resolution list) to switch.

This is done because otherwise the Video option screen would need to react to mode changing, which is difficult.

Alt Enter still works in all other menu areas.

On a more positive note I've seen AI climb into towers (or lighthouses) of their own volition.

I've seen that too yesterday, it was awsome : I had set two groups of enemies to fight in chernogorsk while watching with the camera.sqs and one of the AI climbed on top of one the big tower silos to have an overview and shoot the last remaining enemy !

I've seen that too yesterday, it was awsome : I had set two groups of enemies to fight in chernogorsk while watching with the camera.sqs and one of the AI climbed on top of one the big tower silos to have an overview and shoot the last remaining enemy !

Sweet! Add to that that AI now seems to lean and peek behind corners now as well (saw a friendly AI doing that yesterday in Build 61032 )...

/KC

@Suma

or any other BIS developer

is there any chance to get a response for the grenade and HE rounds issue I mentioned in several threads and earlier in this one, like 1 or 2 pages ago?

I'm still confused that nobody else seems to care about it, some people even say that this is normal....and its not.

please fix this because machine cannons and grenade launchers are nothing more than a huge joke at the moment.

Add to that that AI now seems to lean and peek behind corners now as well (saw a friendly AI doing that yesterday in Build 61032 )...

/KC

They've been doing that since the game has been out. :tongue:

I can confirm this :)

Only just downloaded this, need it for A.C.E, once it's downloaded I'm going to hammer this game so much :D

In new beta 61032 group AGAIN do not keep formation despite their aware/return to formation commands if they are in contact with enemy. Partial combat behaviour was great few betas back, but now they're totally useless while don't catch up with you as the leader again. I am starting to be really desperate when seeing how are good fixes replaced by bad ones...

:(((((((((( I am really sad, cause I thought it will be only better.

EDIT: And AI is not able to engage with AT guns against armor on 300 m. They'll try to move closer instead and start shoot with their rifles...oh god

Edited by Bouben

If only you could get them to recognize dangerous corners. Because it's a tossup whether they peak around or simply sprint into enemy fire.

it's a tossup whether they peak around or simply sprint into enemy fire.

Same with me, to be honest :p

I had a quick play with this yesterday, that somehow ended up into a 3 hour session :D

Anyway, performance etc etc good

I noticed that i was unable to join the majority of the multiplayer servers, and i can recall testing a previous beta and still getting into the multiplayer side of things, is this due to the "battleye" addon ?

I agree with you..Im playing SP only since im not in a Clan or Squad and its really annoying. Its just impossible to reproduce every bug and send it here so they fix it, cause everytime something different is changed and bugged.

I dont got a problem with helping and testing gettin BUGS which are clearly away. But if the whole AI is changed after 5 patches again with annoying results, like your examples, i really doubt i will buy OperationArrowhead.

Settin Up Missions and creating your own Stuff always kept me playing Arma2. But when you realize that the gameplay just dont WORKS, you get VERY frustrated. And please guys, dont tell me that i need patience for that game. Got it from the beginning and now in Patch 1.5 they overwork the whole AI Commands again.Things which should have been there allready as they released it, but dont lets talk about the release Version....I also thought ACE2 will be great for me. But in SP Experience its sadly not really. The AI is again absolutly changed and you have to think completly new for every set up and situation. Much Respect for the ACE2 Team, but in SP frustrating for me like the patches. You know, i want to enjoy the GAMEPLAY now.But i cant.Changes, Bugs, Patches,Bugs, Changes, Patches. Im pretty sure this game could be much better, if taking some complexity from it away.

In new beta 61032 group AGAIN do not keep formation despite their aware/return to formation commands if they are in contact with enemy. Partial combat behaviour was great few betas back, but now they're totally useless while don't catch up with you as the leader again. I am starting to be really desperate when seeing how are good fixes replaced by bad ones...

:(((((((((( I am really sad, cause I thought it will be only better.

EDIT: And AI is not able to engage with AT guns against armor on 300 m. They'll try to move closer instead and start shoot with their rifles...oh god

Edited by Himmelsfeuer

I also think it would be good to evaluate what was well and not so well received by the community in the latest beta patches, and wrap up a final 1.5 patch.

This would first give all the testers a new common ground to start from, as now many ppl are using different versions of the game, and secondly (probably more importantly) this would curb overoptimization on the side of BIS, as seen for the latest changes to AI behavior.

Only my 0.02€ obviously.

Like some others said the latest beta makes it real hard many times to get your AI back into formation.

I also noticed the COPY MY STANCE (KEEP LOW) actually works in more heated situations. It doesnt work 100% since they are more or less in and out of danger, but i noticed they crouch when i crouch most of the times. Can it not work outside of combat BIS? I usually run up to some area and i always crouch when i get somewhere so i want my team to do so as well.

The AI and how it works atm with it being very hard to get them back to formation need some more work.

@Himmelsfeuer: Yes. I think I'll give arma a break for some time. I have no more energy for now to write a long repro posts and see no solution for some really anoying critical problems (that ones in my signature for example).

Edited by Bouben

A certain quote from even waaaay back in OFP times: 'A lot of good work was lost for lack of a little more.' Hang in there, you're losing heart too quickly. Just because you don't see into their methods doesn't mean there aren't any. I will be worth it in the end. Or as you stated, you can wait for us to help the beta patches and just DL their final. ;)

Or just revert like four builds...

And while we're tweaking helicopters, how about making Hinds actually use their ATGMs instead of performing suicidal rocket attacks on tanks? (and make them more durable than the AH-1z, and up their radar spotting range)

new beta

[61060] Fixed: Crash when copying trigger activated by a group.

[61057] Fixed: AI subordinates in a player group were often not moving in combat until player has stopped.

[61035] Fix: Dedicated server window has not react to some window messages often (such as focus loss)

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

[61057] Fixed: AI subordinates in a player group were often not moving in combat until player has stopped.

That could at least partially explain why they don't run away from danger with the player. Perhaps this bad behaviour is improved now? :)

That could at least partially explain why they don't run away from danger with the player. Perhaps this bad behaviour is improved now? :)

LOL! I thought that was a feature.

Great Patch! Thanx BIS !

Even works wonderfully with ACE.

I appreciated the extra work and risk of releasing Beta-Patches very much!

But people soon get accustomed to each and every extra work of your side and cry

"We payed for it !! Do it !! I am hanging in a tree after parachuting!! BUG BUG !!"

without considering how immensely complex this game is and that you - with every BETA-patch - also deliberately risk to implement new bugs and being bashed by those with a consumer-attitude.

Biggest "fun": Some cogamers are bashing ACE-Modders with this velvet-seat-sticking-consumer-attitude also!! LOL