Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

You are putting words in hes mouth here.

i said gameplay footage not underwhelming screenshots which don't even show the game in first person view
163 pages and not one single bit of gameplay footage ? what a disappointing thread

Theres a lot of spam and speculation here. And this isn't making it better.

That brings up something that has always bother me in Arma II and ArmA 1, that AI can magically know you are the enemy even if you are in a truck of their faction.

I think it would be amazing if you could be in an enemy BTR-90 and drive by enemys with them thinking you are just one of them.

I doubt they could change this in OA but if its possible, then why not. Adds alot to the Stealth factor, which ArmA II totally lacks.

This is not true anymore. Since arma2 yo ucan use other vehicles and the enemy will not see you for what you are until you get close. I tested this in a simple scenario.

I placed an AI and me (US) close to a road, both in the same group and AI as groupleader. I then placed an enemy AI (RU) on another side of a hill and placed an empty vehicle on the road. The enemy AI had a waypoint making him drive past us, he was set careless so he would drive past us. I put him in the car using 'this moveindriver veh'.

First test was an UAZ. As soon as the enemy became visible on the crest my AI groupleader told me about the enemy and started shooting at him.

Second test was a HMMWV. When the enemy AI became visible my groupleader reported a car but did nothing. When the enemy AI was close (about the distance when you might be able to see the driver in RL) he told me about the enemy and started shooting.

Third test was a civilian car. The same scenario happened as in the second test when the RU AI used an US car.

I tried it a few times an concluded that you can use enemy or civilian cars and not be detected as enemy as long as you dont get to close.

I always been abit annoyed in OFP and arma that I couldnt do it so it was great to see that it was finally fixed! I use it in missions now and then, I grab a car that the enemy dont see as enemy, as long as I avoid close encounters Im fine.

This is not true anymore. Since arma2 yo ucan use other vehicles and the enemy will not see you for what you are until you get close. I tested this in a simple scenario.

I placed an AI and me (US) close to a road, both in the same group and AI as groupleader. I then placed an enemy AI (RU) on another side of a hill and placed an empty vehicle on the road. The enemy AI had a waypoint making him drive past us, he was set careless so he would drive past us. I put him in the car using 'this moveindriver veh'.

First test was an UAZ. As soon as the enemy became visible on the crest my AI groupleader told me about the enemy and started shooting at him.

Second test was a HMMWV. When the enemy AI became visible my groupleader reported a car but did nothing. When the enemy AI was close (about the distance when you might be able to see the driver in RL) he told me about the enemy and started shooting.

Third test was a civilian car. The same scenario happened as in the second test when the RU AI used an US car.

I tried it a few times an concluded that you can use enemy or civilian cars and not be detected as enemy as long as you dont get to close.

I always been abit annoyed in OFP and arma that I couldnt do it so it was great to see that it was finally fixed! I use it in missions now and then, I grab a car that the enemy dont see as enemy, as long as I avoid close encounters Im fine.

AFAIK it was already like that in OFP, though they did seem to detect you werent actually friendly to them a bit faster.

BUMP THIS!!! A very good point!!!

I just did a variety of tests in ArmA 2 testing this. I also recorded each test in FRAPS and found that it depends on 3 things: Distance, Visibility (Can they see you get into the vehicle), and the type of vehicle.

I was able to drive a BMP-3 up next to a Insurgent BMP-2 without them shooting at me, which I didn't record this. But i did record me driving up next to them in a T-72 and a variety of other vehicles and settings.

I'll post a link once I get it up...

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8mPi2Yryfo

Edited by Nicholas

I hope we all get to meet Borat, I hear he's moved to Takistan and raised army with wife to fight insurgent gypsy.

I just did a variety of tests in ArmA 2 testing this. I also recorded each test in FRAPS and found that it depends on 3 things: Distance, Visibility (Can they see you get into the vehicle), and the type of vehicle.

I was able to drive a BMP-3 up next to a Insurgent BMP-2 without them shooting at me, which I didn't record this. But i did record me driving up next to them in a T-72 and a variety of other vehicles and settings.

I'll post a link once I get it up...

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8mPi2Yryfo

Well done JohnnyBoy755

Another ArmA myth dispelled.

Kind Regards walker

I don't know if this has been posted before

but if you skip to 3:14 they show that in VBS2 you can fire from vehicles. I wonder if they can bring in FLIR from VBS2 why can't they bring in shooting from vehicles and put it into Arma 2?

Would really love that, Imagine a blackbird with everybody firing out of it^^

I don't know if this has been posted before
but if you skip to 3:14 they show that in VBS2 you can fire from vehicles. I wonder if they can bring in FLIR from VBS2 why can't they bring in shooting from vehicles and put it into Arma 2?

They will, can't remember exactly where/when it was said though.

Apparently taking features from VBS 2 and integrating them into Arma 2 is not a simple drag and drop operation, because VBS 2 has been tweaked to such an extent by BIA

that the code doesn't share so many commons with the Arma games any longer.

Edited by sparks50

Woah shooting out of vehicles would be so fun.

I hope we see fast roping and medivac come to OA aswell as the FLIR and torches. :)

Alot of awesome additions BIS.

The only hinderance is the performance issues and optimization.

good luck and cheers.

Woah shooting out of vehicles would be so fun.

Are you sure? I mean .. sure it would be fun for the players. But everything the player can do the AI will be to do too (if everything works correct). So imagine there's a truck coming the way and 20 AI begin to shoot from the cargo place of the truck. I can already hear the moans because player will die easier than before.

It's only an example. People want something but don't think of the consequences ingame. The whole game is a internal network. Every setting is connected to another. That's why sometimes new features break old features.

So if there'll be shooting from cargo places BI would have to take care of a fair play. Maybe via adding a new scripting command to disable the specific AI behaviour if mission designers don't want to use it. Or automatically decrease aiming skill of the AI when they're shooting from vehicles .. making it dependent from the vehicle speed.

I'm no modder so I don't know if models or config values have to be changed for this. If config values change, a lot of mods will herit them.

You see the problem? :)

It'll be just like Command & Conquer: Generals. Load up a HMMWV with five soldiers and have them turn the vehicle into a mobile artillery platform.

Are you sure? I mean .. sure it would be fun for the players. But everything the player can do the AI will be to do too (if everything works correct). So imagine there's a truck coming the way and 20 AI begin to shoot from the cargo place of the truck. I can already hear the moans because player will die easier than before.

It's only an example. People want something but don't think of the consequences ingame. The whole game is a internal network. Every setting is connected to another. That's why sometimes new features break old features.

So if there'll be shooting from cargo places BI would have to take care of a fair play. Maybe via adding a new scripting command to disable the specific AI behaviour if mission designers don't want to use it. Or automatically decrease aiming skill of the AI when they're shooting from vehicles .. making it dependent from the vehicle speed.

I'm no modder so I don't know if models or config values have to be changed for this. If config values change, a lot of mods will herit them.

You see the problem? :)

Yawn. You're right the AI is still totally messed up, but it would still be great, maybe it could be modular.....

Its better than not being able to do a thing in the car besides look at the enemy.

;)

True .. this wish is as old as the Bohemia Saga itself. Personally I don't think we'll see this feature before ArmA III. I guess it needs some modification on the current models in order to make animations and config work properly. Everything else would be a workaround.

We haven't heard anything new for months now. Now would be the time to unleash some new information :o Please! :)

AI shooting out of a driving car would have to be less accurate, thats it

Maybe it could be a module that would be linked to each vehicle you want AI/Player to be able to fire from, I think that would work out pretty well

Not truely info about the game, but the 1.2.2010 czech ministery of defence anounced the winner of the competition for the new weapon for the Army of Czech Republic (AÄŒR). As discused previously in this topic, it is the Cz805A manufactored by CZ. Aproximately 8000 of the caliber modular (7,62mm - both 39mm and 54mm;5,56mm;6,8mm, in several barel lenghts) rifles equiped with the CZ GL 805 (grenade launcher) will enter into service before the end of the year.

So it's very possible that this weapon will maybe be in the game since the czech troops are in OA, and the expansion itself is set a little in the future (3 years after Chernarus).

P1030039.jpg

the GL:

http://files.cz805.cz/200000184-a4f9fa5f3d/_CZ_G805_02_1.jpg

Edited by Derk Yall

Inform about wich weapon would be in the OA expansion? I only wanted to help, since at some page of this topic the new weapons (like SCAR) were discused,

How does that have anything to do with OA as a game?

Some harmless speculation, which is what most of this topic is, and as mentioned since Czech forces will be in the game, it would be interesting to see if said weapon makes it in. Hopefully by the end of next week we'll see some new stuff (from the supposed CzechTV video expected).

It's an interesting info, I didn't even know the Czech army had a new weapon planned. Last trial ended due to lack of funding IIRC.

Better than PC vs. consoles...

BTW, the official Game Page site (in Czech) confirms OA preview will be aired on Saturday, February 13.

Another speculative question : Will OA feature some dynamic weather system a la Carrier Command (see the other thread), since I presume it is based on BIS technology, or is it way too late to implement (most probably...) ?