Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Hoping for demonstration of NEW and IMPROVED Optimisation + Fastrope/FLIR/backpack system/Moar optimisation/CQC/Vehicles + some cliffhanger

Hoping for demonstration of NEW and IMPROVED Optimisation + Moar optimisation

Well of course...

BIS: "ohai guyz. we got moar frames noa u see? arrowhead runs graytz on all puterz! i heard u liek optimization so we put some optimization in your optimization you can can have optimization while ur optimized!"

*BIS demo guy pushes 16 core i15 system with 8 GTX 480s in SLI out of site*

"We tested it on all systems!"

:rolleyes:

In all seriousness I do hope that they really focus on optimizing urban areas, especially as one of the maps is supposed to be mainly an urban environment.

Well of course...

BIS: "ohai guyz. we got moar frames noa u see? arrowhead runs graytz on all puterz! i heard u liek optimization so we put some optimization in your optimization you can can have optimization while ur optimized!"

*BIS demo guy pushes 16 core i15 system with 8 GTX 480s in SLI out of site*

"We tested it on all systems!"

:rolleyes:

In all seriousness I do hope that they really focus on optimizing urban areas, especially as one of the maps is supposed to be mainly an urban environment.

I heard Flash Thunder wants DX10 support, Asset caching, super High res textures and better AI is this true?

Xzibit: We hook you up with BIS personnel to work on the what you want in Arma 2 while you drive around in this pimped out ice cream truck :D

Seriously cant wait for that episode, Deadfast I hope you dont have too many plans for that evening. ;)

To all the people that say: Heeeey you guys stop speculating Goosh, i got an e-mail that said theres an update.

I lol'd

I would create a speculation thread about OA since everyone bitches about it, but I know it will be closed.

I think OA will be a very nice release indeed. I can't wait for some multiplayer on the nice desert maps! And then a bit of CQB in the urban areas.

Alot of people complain about performance in Arma 2, but think about it, it is a next gen game with some of the best graphics to date.Most people with over 1GB video memory and a quad core run urban areas flawlessly.

I know I get some stuttery issues with my rig, but I am running DDR2 RAM, only have 512mb vid memory, and I have a dual core. Once my quad roles in and 2GB of vid memory, I will be cruising :D

True, there's no doubt that Arma 2 is visually impressive but certain areas could use a lot of optimization. I have a quad-core and 1gb of VRAM but everything plummets to 15fps in some city areas with no AI on the map. Most of the time it's fine.

On the subject of performance I just have to add in this.

I got 2gb of Video Memory and a quad core, but as AnimalMother also said, my FPS can drop into low 20's or teens in certain areas. Not really Urban area, more so dense woodland areas.

Though I think the reason it drops so low is I have a pretty hefty resolution. 2048X1152.

I'm hoping Operation Arrowhead has significantly better performance while looking just as good as ArmA II or even better. :D Just dreams though....

You guys may as well stop pointing to your quad-cores as some sort of performance indicator, multiple cores offer progressively diminishing returns and nothing exemplifies that better than ArmA 2. It'll max-out the 1st core, use a bit of the second and leave the 3rd and 4th idling. For equal money you're better off getting a faster clocked dual-core.

You guys may as well stop pointing to your quad-cores as some sort of performance indicator, multiple cores offer progressively diminishing returns and nothing exemplifies that better than ArmA 2. It'll max-out the 1st core, use a bit of the second and leave the 3rd and 4th idling. For equal money you're better off getting a faster clocked dual-core.

Hey Defunkt, Thanks for the Pm btw :)

I have one of the fastest dual cores on the market, (E8500), and it is overclocked to between a safe 3.6ghz and 3.8ghz. Having said that, in arma 2 or gta iv, anybody with a high range Quad will literally get double the frames I get.

I have to run Arma 2 on all medium/High, at 1280x1024, and even then my framerate goes to 20 quite alot.

Although of course, what you said is definitely true for older games, I think Arma 2 really can use 4 cores.

Richie, are you sure it isn't your graphics card holding you back?

I have an E8400 at stock 3.00GHz with a GTX280 (also 4GB RAM, Vista 64), and ArmA 2 runs great at 1680x1050 with virtually maxed settings.

Although of course, what you said is definitely true for older games, I think Arma 2 really can use 4 cores.

Is this based on anything other than wishful thinking?

Richie, are you sure it isn't your graphics card holding you back?

I have an E8400 at stock 3.00GHz with a GTX280 (also 4GB RAM, Vista 64), and ArmA 2 runs great at 1680x1050 with virtually maxed settings.

Well I have ordered a new 4890 1GB to replace my 512mb 4870, that will definitely help. And I can run maxed at 75fps quite easily on an empty map. Different story for a full map though!

What sort of framerate do you get? I am a bit of a whore, when someone sais they can run maxed, I expect maxed and 60fps :p

Is this based on anything other than wishful thinking?

Well I guess I have no solid evidence, it's just alot of people who have much worse specs than me, seem to get better performance simply from a quad core. And I have heard alot of people recommending quads for Arma 2.

I think you must be right though, because when I oc'd my processor to oblivion, I managed alot of AI on one map. Although there were no scripts to slow things down.

I am comparing my E8500 to say an i7. Dual cores aren't really being sold much anymore, and an i7 at 4.2ghz, using 4 cores or 2, is still much faster than my E8500 :)

I am comparing my E8500 to say an i7. Dual cores aren't really being sold much anymore, and an i7 at 4.2ghz, using 4 cores or 2, is still much faster than my E8500 :)

Wrong comparison, as those two are different technologies. You can compare the e8500 with a q9550 if you like.

Wrong comparison, as those two are different technologies. You can compare the e8500 with a q9550 if you like.

Fair play :)

Well even so, a q9550 rapes my dual core anyway :P

Can you please let this thread be about Arrowhead and not about your feature suggestions and hardware? I check the new messages in this thread in case there is some new information regarding the expansion. There are other places where you can discuss irrelevant stuff.

Cant wait for the huge(BIS style)demo :)

Edited by Neopas

offtopic maybe

did you guys knew that this aka new war teatre is mentioned in default A2 campagin?

will they be implimenting bigger dedicated servers? because I believe I joined a P2P server earlier?

Uh, the limit is probably higher than most hardware and connections can handle without lag.

plus..

There is no coded cap for playable units on a server as far as I know, so 50+ players is certainly possible.

Hope they adjust the AI to the CQB/Indoor enviroment. As impressive as the AI currently is, I can't see today's AI effectively engaging in a dynamic indoor combat situation without getting confused and atempt to shoot someone through a wall. Or in urban combat, running clumbsily around street corners to be met by a M1A2 TUSK's Loader, gunner and commander's ironsights:coop:. But whether or not the AI are improved, I'm certainly buying it.

Same boat here in considering either a faster dual or quad for OA - I have a lowly E5200 at 3.7Ghz and since moving to a 4890 from an 8800GTS things have improved and I have most settings Very High and VD 2500m (low AA, 1680x1050), though I also moved to an SSD and RAMdisk combo as well. Worse case is about 50 AI and 20 tanks in battle in Chernogorsk, when flying low over the town in an A10 I got down to 8 fps the other night, but other than that I can get 25-40 in most MP and SP situations, ie on Warfare on Namalsk last night I was around 30 fps average.

I suppose getting a quad to 3.7Ghz would do no harm.

will they be implimenting bigger dedicated servers? because I believe I joined a P2P server earlier?

There is no hard limit to the "slots" on a dedi server(which are, btw, all hosted by fans, none by BIS). It all depends on the powerhorse of the server, and the connection (most are on 100MBs in/out lines)