Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

You have to give them a little break here, BC2 only has a few simple commands to deal with.

Arma 2 bots have a much bigger variety of things to report about.

I've heard quite alot of phrases in BC2.

And maybe if BIS could cut down on the amount of phrases in ArmA II, they could afford to get some realistic chatter in.

I mean I dont hear it much ingame because I use MAP Reduced Voices and it helps quite a bit, but I would just love to see some yelling during battle, I mean cmon, no one is totally silent while in a fire fight. It would be amazing if we could some Afghan and American dynamic chatter, so when you reload your character yells "RELOADING" Maybe not every time but in a hot situation atleast.

It's just one of those things that would add ALOT, I mean ALOT to the ambiance of the gameplay. Right now when I play ArmA II, its not really...epic. Even when I get in a nice sized fire fight, there isn't much that's making it seem alive. Personally I would prefer getting totally reworked voices over a damn flashlight, yeah they're cool but in a review you wont see the review going "Oh well I gave the game a 5 out of 10 because it didn't have mounted flashlights" One of the first thing reviews comment on is the "Annoying Voices."

It's just one of those things that hasn't changed at all since OFP and I really think its time BIS does a total rework of the voices, it really cant be that hard. Basically every other game has decent voice acting, unlike ArmA II.

:(

But please not only jelling. Someone mentioned BIA Hells Highway, great example. If not detected your guys are whispering, if detected it gets loud;-)

I dont think its that hard to port something this to arma2. Yes its a totally different game, but a check if detected or not should to all the trick. Men, i just would love to get this "feature" in the game. At all you have to say something like this cant be missed in a "Ultimate Military Sim"!

BC 2 "reporting" has only "tank spotted" etc and then a tank icon pops on the map.

The Arma 2 radio on the other hand has to say where the tank is from hes point of view,

how far away the tank is, and how many tanks he can see, and all of this with many different voices because it would be weird if they all sounded the same.

Battle yelling can be interesting, but it is vital that these come at the right time. Ive tried several mods with random yelling and it ends up just being annoying because of the poor timing of the shouting.

Edited by sparks50

All I think BIS needs to do realisticly is to design a new way to broadcast ingame radio chatter, the word data base needs to be New or redesigned.

Like the Enemy man close to us. If this line could be stringed properly without voice over changes (like the multiple voices for a sentence we got now) and it could be done where theres little pause then i would be happy.

Also the voice actors need to be fluent and have their accent, USMC needs to sound like USMC not a 12 year old boy (Kowlosski) and the OPFOR so on and so on.

+No abrupt sentence pauses, 2 different voices for the same character needs to be out.

+Serious voice actors that dont sound like kids or people who sound silly

+More effort on trying to express anger/pain/emotions in voice overs with characters, like when you're wounded, you wont just say wounded normally.

+BIS please eliminate the stupid lines of the script, IE "HEY IM the ****ING BOSS HERE IM TELLIN YOU TO SHUT UP. EVERYBODY GET READY FOR THE LANDING!" (Trial by fire scenario) These are the kind of lines that ruin the entire conversation for me, Not professional this only emulates kiddies trying to assume the role of a soldier/officer.

+Mutliple stage voice overs although highly doubt, but if you could do 5 default voices and if all 5 of the voice actors had the different stages that would be plenty.

As for the new audio system:

more channels so when you're in a HELO unleashing a barrage of Hydra missles your engine doesnt become mute, and then kick back on when the explosion SFX are done playing. :mad:

Spatial Sound effects need enhancement and improvement

EAX support and other audio talk (imcompetent in this field) more Frequencies I guess with explosions so they sound crazy good and scary

Different audio effects

Better Sound compression so the music sounds like it was just preformed

Im prolly going to get flamed alittle, but Dragon Crap had Stellar audio use them as a prime example BIS, explosions were good, bullet casings hitting the ground and various materials was excellent, the speed of sound was good. :)

Im prolly going to get flamed alittle, but Dragon Crap had Stellar audio use them as a prime example BIS, explosions were good, bullet casings hitting the ground and various materials was excellent, the speed of sound was good.

on the contrary, I'll add to ur list instead of flame^^

+better system than tab+fire, tab+fire, tab+fire.

Can't think of one right now but when I do I'll be sure to post it on here (in the video it looked kinda lame and is just a repeat of eagle-wing but on a different map, its too easy and repetitive)

+a slightly more public beta-stage where the community/some members of the community get to test the game so it isn't released with gameplay-breaking bugs (I haven't played bc2 yet but at least they're admitting the game is in beta-stage...) Hope BIS learn from other games' upsides and downsides and make the best game/simulator out there!

Hopefully BIS see this, and that a lot of people really are concerned about the audio/voices in their games. For me, it's my #1 hope that they overhaul this system as I think it would add tons.

Outside battle voices are...OK.

But in battle hear a "Fuck!............two.... is down!"in the Radio is atmospheric breaker. If they shouted it at least...

Right now I play with no voice because of the "2:Go,Im covering.", but the silent is almost so annoying as.

Sweet stuff indeed. But i thaught thats exactlly what they are saying in the video? Steer the UAV-copter from the Apache and place it somewhere hovering. Look for targets through UAV-copters optics using FLIR and then LAZE the targets with the UAV-copter. Lock on to LAZE from Apache where you control the UAV-copter from and shoot your hellfires from the Apache. Target wont know what hit him. :)

If thats what you meant.

Nope, that wasn't what I meant.

What I meant (and requested) was the following:

- Imagine that there aren't any UAVs. What I meant is that the Apache gunner should have the access to the same kind of optics/FLIR and Laser designator that we've seen in that video (from an UAV) and that the Apache gunner may Lase it's own Hellfire missiles. This way it may lase it's own hellfires if there aren't any external designators (like an UAV or a soldier with a laser designator).

lets face it, we cant have both good sounding, AND useful audio. its just too hard to do both.

you can have practical game (arma 1 audio). its doctrinally perfect (your 3 Ds, calm collected and precise) but bland.

there is the arma2 audio which tried to add a more human feeling to the voices. they are more "realistic" than arma 1 audio but with out real world interaction fall flat and become very difficult to use.

additional; something to change would be not to use the radio for every little com. for example the go im covering, moving. if you can hear and see who is saying that thanks to more 3d sound, it becomes more useful

Edited by That guy

God.

Ricnunes with his BOLD UNDERLINES and demands. Demanding this that and the other like BIS owe him something?

Jeez.

Nope, that wasn't what I meant.

What I meant (and requested) was the following:

- Imagine that there aren't any UAVs. What I meant is that the Apache gunner should have the access to the same kind of optics/FLIR and Laser designator that we've seen in that video (from an UAV) and that the Apache gunner may Lase it's own Hellfire missiles. This way it may lase it's own hellfires if there aren't any external designators (like an UAV or a soldier with a laser designator).

Seeing the HUD for the pilot alone, and the fact that lasing for hellfires is possible now for OA, I'm going to assume (and get my hopes up) that they have what you say already in mind, they just didn't show it in favor for the UAV demonstration. Only thing that challenges this is towards the end of the video we see the dev flying in 3rd person as the pilot targeting tanks and commanding the AI to fire in what seems to be the alt+tab fashion, but it's hard to tell because we don't know how the AI would treat the laser painting method if at all.

If not, and I know some will groan, but ACE already has a system in place for such things, and I'm sure it'll migrate over if ACE decides to mod with OA

Go, Im covering! Go, Im Covering! ,Go, Im covering! Go, Im Covering! ,Go, Im covering! Go, Im Covering! ,Go, Im covering! Go, Im Covering! ,Go, Im covering! Go, Im Covering! ,Go, Im covering! Go, Im Covering!

Gotta go...

You guys are a fun bunch . Let's try to keep this thread clean of "I WANT THAT " and for critical OA info only .

For all who are bitching at tab+fire should have a look at Mando's Missiles instead. 'Nuff said...

Even if you could use that online on all servers, which you can't, you'd only get tab+fire raped even worse than before.

So 1C, Morphicon and Seven M is ready for OA. Now i just want to see 505GAMES signed as well. Im sure they jump on the train as usual, but i always feel better when i see it. :)

So 1C, Morphicon and Seven M is ready for OA. Now i just want to see 505GAMES signed as well. Im sure they jump on the train as usual, but i always feel better when i see it. :)

Hopefully Q2 at least. :D

Seeing the HUD for the pilot alone, and the fact that lasing for hellfires is possible now for OA, I'm going to assume (and get my hopes up) that they have what you say already in mind, they just didn't show it in favor for the UAV demonstration. Only thing that challenges this is towards the end of the video we see the dev flying in 3rd person as the pilot targeting tanks and commanding the AI to fire in what seems to be the alt+tab fashion, but it's hard to tell because we don't know how the AI would treat the laser painting method if at all.

If not, and I know some will groan, but ACE already has a system in place for such things, and I'm sure it'll migrate over if ACE decides to mod with OA

I hope you're right!

Anyway, I not totally against the "TAB" targetting, specially if the the player is the pilot and an AI the gunner (in this case the "TAB" key will simulate something like: "Gunner lock next target"). This for example is a feature which is non-existant in ACE2 (since the "TAB" ket function was removed) and IMO not having this ability in ACE2 is even worse than removing the "TAB" key function.

IMO, the (Apache) gunner should work and have this 2 features:

1- Exactly the same Laser designation that we saw in the UAV optical/FLIR targetting part of the Arrowhead video.

2- Having the ability which is already existant in ArmA2 to some extend, in which if the gunner aims his crosshair into a target and presses and hold the right mouse button that target will be "locked" - This would simulate the autotracking function that real Apache (and not only) optical sensors have in real life. This for example is a feature which is non-existant in ACE2 and IMO not having this feature in ACE2 is even worse than removing the "TAB" key function in ACE2.

And as I said before, using mods to solve the lack of some features is not an option (at least for me) specially in an ONLINE enviourment (which is where I spend 99% of my ArmA2 playing time).

So having both features indicated in points 1- and 2- in Op. Arrowhead would be awesome!

Edited by ricnunes

Having the ability which is already existant in ArmA2 to some extend, in which if the gunner aims his crosshair into a target and presses and hold the right mouse button that target will be "locked" - This would simulate the autotracking function that real Apache (and not only) optical sensors have in real life. This for example is a feature which is non-existant in ACE2 and IMO not having this feature in ACE2 is even worse than removing the "TAB" key function in ACE2.

Thats an excellent solution imo; heres more of what the pilot/gunner can do with the uav and manual rockets http://www.eechcentral.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firing_guns_and_rockets#US_firing_system

ric what'd d'you think of ma suggestion? :D

Please just completely redo the ''manual fire on', 'rockets', 'hellfire', 'tab', 'fire', 'tab', 'fire'' it KILLS THE REALISM and immersion that you would otherwise get with that little more sophistication in target aquisition and engaging.

The gunner can do much more in a chopper than sit there twiddling his thimbs and doind diddly-squat; it would also encourage more teamplay online etc.

2- Having the ability which is already existant in ArmA2 to some extend, in which if the gunner aims his crosshair into a target and presses and hold the right mouse button that target will be "locked" - This would simulate the autotracking function that real Apache (and not only) optical sensors have in real life. This for example is a feature which is non-existant in ACE2 and IMO not having this feature in ACE2 is even worse than removing the "TAB" key function in ACE2.

ACE2 from what i understand does have this feature just not in the way you describe it. You can activate a designator via the action menu and from there you can choose LOBL (Lock On Before Launch) setting for the hellfires and fire like you've mentioned for the gunner. Though there seems to be a bug to were the missiles aren't behaving properly to follow the laser designation for the LOBL settings at the moment.

And as I said before, using mods to solve the lack of some features is not an option (at least for me) specially in an ONLINE enviourment (which is where I spend 99% of my ArmA2 playing time).

So having both features indicated in points 1- and 2- in Op. Arrowhead would be awesome!

How is it not an option when the majority of the servers online are using ACE2 and several running other mods that aren't required client side. Not sure if you realize this but ArmA2's longevity is the mods that are made for it (and the editor). We can't expect BIS to do everything we ask, because not every one wants the same features, for instance not everyone enjoys the Mando Missile addon and the features it provides even though I think it's one of the greatest addons in development and should be something BIS should try to emulate to some extent.

Don't know if this has been posted already, but I found this. It has some gameplay footage of Operation Arrowhead,

<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDr-PqMSRd4&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDr-PqMSRd4&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>

Just a wee bit late mate :p

It was the first time I had checked this thread in so long, and It said it was uploaded the day before yesterday, just proves the BI Forums never sleep haha.