Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

* Is there a benefit to purchasing "Combined Operations" vs. the expansion pack alone (for those of us with ArmA2 already)? Or will the final installation look identical between the two?

Just to clarify:

The installation will look identical:

Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead

=

Arma 2: Combined Operations

You will basically get two games in one package in Arma 2: Combined Operations (that can be either installed together, or used separately, even on different computers).

I just had a look at the box cover while I was pre-ordering my copy from Amazon.co.uk. and I cant see a publisher/distributer mentioned. Is the box cover pic just a placeholder or are Bohemia Interactive publishing/distributing on their own?

I'd say it would be about time for a new trailer, it's been awfully quiet in the media department.

I kind of expected trailers to arrive like they did with ArmA 2: one for each faction etc.

The more important issue we need to know is if COOP actually WORKS like it's supposed to. COOP is one of if not THE coolest aspect of ARMA2. Having your COOP progression not able to save makes playing the campaign in COOP mode pointless.

+1 I HOPE IT WORKS. if it does i may buy my mate this game

+1 I HOPE IT WORKS. if it does i may buy my mate this game

My gaming group just flat out stopped playing because of the bugs encountered in saved COOP games. The number of times we had to restart each missions because the save got broke, the constant desynching during the coop campaign, etc. all made what would have been an awesome experience just plain annoying. I hope this changes in OA.

£16.99 ? holy crap, i feel bad that i'll be paying so little...

I paid about £14 for my ARMA 2 from Zavvi, not long after release :p

Just preordered OA from play.com :)

My gaming group just flat out stopped playing because of the bugs encountered in saved COOP games. The number of times we had to restart each missions because the save got broke, the constant desynching during the coop campaign, etc. all made what would have been an awesome experience just plain annoying. I hope this changes in OA.

Exactly me too. My mate LOVES coop games

http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/apps/33930/f43ecdd24c7a81cd5662cce65b6710328ab2e299.jpg

This rocks. It shows that the golf-course terrain of the other ArmA games will not be present, it shows improved lighting and accurate urban makeup (the towns are actually town-sized). Somebody mention a jet, btw?

And otherwise, thank you RH for confirming my vague idea that addons were either made by BI or addons went into BI Games.

@Chris: You are right. Holy fuck. This is beautiful. Just about every flaw of the game will be vastly diminished by the basic modifications made to the clouds, the De-Golfcourse-ification of the terrain, and the upgrades to the lighting system.

And now I am worried that this will be BIS ending the series with a bang, as they have discussed. I can't believe that this is the same company that made ArmA.

And now I am worried that this will be BIS ending the series with a bang!

Don't say that! :(

the De-Golfcourse-ification of the terrain

What did i miss?

He means Cherarus was a bunch of rolling gently sloped hills. Didn't really look natural in some cases. Personally I liked Chernarus alot but Walts seems to complain alot sooo....

Sahrani was more my style. I didn't really go for the whole subdued color thing in A2. But hey, they didn't even look like hills. The clutter or something was all wrong. But it is fixed! :D I cannot be more proud of the BI Team, they have put foward an amazing amount of work for relatively little recognition other than their fans. I am extemely pumped for OA. Sure, I am whiney. But hey, you can always count to find me awake at 11:57 the night before release already hovering on the download button.

Sahrani was more my style. I didn't really go for the whole subdued color thing in A2. But hey, they didn't even look like hills. The clutter or something was all wrong. But it is fixed! :D I cannot be more proud of the BI Team, they have put foward an amazing amount of work for relatively little recognition other than their fans. I am extemely pumped for OA. Sure, I am whiney. But hey, you can always count to find me awake at 11:57 the night before release already hovering on the download button.

How was it wrong? I live in West Virginia and Chernarus landscape freakishly resembled that of the Appalachian Mountains at some points, so I found it a rather believable landscape with an autumn setting. My only gripe was the distant ground texture, but the LandTex mod took care of that. Beyond that Chernarus was a well rounded environment.

Yeah I thought Chernarus looked really believable. It was a nice map. Big too!

But Takistan just looks stunning. I can't wait. I love BIS. :D

Yeap..with each game release so many things change and the visual style and execution improves in many ways..BIS has come a long way since Sahrani.

I don't know what you mean by Chernarus not looking realistic either. Did you even check some photographs from the land Chernarus is based on? Here are some random pics from late summer/autumn, just so you can compare:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

I didn't say it looks unrealistic. I said I thought it was a golf course. I didn't like it. Also, Chernarus really needs some actual (like as in your lawn, not lowplants) grass. I liked the layout of the Sahrani terrain (not the most realistic, but the most suited for gameplay). I am a community member, not Maruk, please stop deconstructing everything I say.

I don't know what you mean by Chernarus not looking realistic either. Did you even check some photographs from the land Chernarus is based on? Here are some random pics from late summer/autumn, just so you can compare:

Inorder to make Arma 2 look that nice on Chernarus is to run it at 5fps.

If the ground textures looked decent then yeah it would be photo real. :D

Edited by Flash Thunder

I didn't say it looks unrealistic. I said I thought it was a golf course. I didn't like it. Also, Chernarus really needs some actual (like as in your lawn, not lowplants) grass. I liked the layout of the Sahrani terrain (not the most realistic, but the most suited for gameplay). I am a community member, not Maruk, please stop deconstructing everything I say.

I agree with the lowplants aspect but I didn't think it looked like a golf course. They are far too green. If by golfcourse you mean there is grass, water, and trees then yes you would be right though. (This coming from a guy who made a map in OFP with a golf course on it)

I agree with the lowplants aspect but I didn't think it looked like a golf course. They are far too green. If by golfcourse you mean there is grass, water, and trees then yes you would be right though. (This coming from a guy who made a map in OFP with a golf course on it)

Oh jeez, you just made me wish for moar animations.

Lieutenant: "Private, hand me my golf club"

*Private hands him an m16*

Lieutenant: "And my golf ball?"

*Private hands him a grenade*

*Lieutenant hits an insurgent in the head*

*Lieutenant gets an ego boost++*

I have a question, Which probably should of gone on the FAQ.

As ArmA2 is fully intergratable with OA. If you're going to play a mission that was designed for A2, with ace or other addons. But you were using nothing from OA. Would there be any conflicts?

I realise that they are very people that would know the answer, but i feel its a good question nether the less