Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Hi all

The AI will move in to buildings and up ladders or stairs in ArmA.

Having had them walk up behind me on several ocasions now I tend to not allow them near a building I am in. That said I would prefer they entered and cleared buildings and used them for cover more often.

Kind Regards walker

Must happen very rarely, i haven't seen it with vanilla ArmA 2. I see it quite often with GL4 and UPS!

Please, no more! You might give some of our members with sickle-cell trait seizures and heart attacks! :D

On a more serious note, looks like BIS finally got better voice actors, radio voices, and even a helmet HUD! :)

On a lighter note, the soundtrack is great!

Edited by Laqueesha

Very, very cool. Definitely the most realistic FLIR in a commercial game that I've ever heard of!

AI didn't react all that well to it, though...

Question about FLIR:

When they explode the BRDM, you can´t see anything else but the explosion\fire, because of the contrast. Is the same IRL or thats because of the HDR?

Very, very cool. Definitely the most realistic FLIR in a commercial game that I've ever heard of!

AI didn't react all that well to it, though...

Indeed, it´s beautiful. Again, the AI, though... I hope we´ll see a few snippets in the future that shows off a little more active reactions to having hellfires blow up all around them.

Really trying to keep my hopes high here on the AI matter, however, after the improvement Arma2 gave over the OFP/Armed Assault AI, I think yet another leap may be a little too much to ask.

Would be awesome though.

Otherwise, great looking game, and the new features are really snazzy all around.

That video is very cool, I have one question though... does anyone else feel that the incoming missile warning (or IR/radar lock warning, not sure what it is) sound is to high pitched? It's really annoying, I had my earphones on, volume high and my head almost exploded :(

My worries are also all over the AI..

If my Squad is still acting like a bunch of stoned afghan trainees, i dont need awesome maps and new units.

The point is, you cant sell AI Fixes and Upgrades. Well you can, but i dont think anybody outside of this forums would buy it. This is why we get Arrowhead. Im not flaming BI, def. not. But i dont know if i will buy OA, if there arent major Improvements to the AI and gamemechanics like indoor fights.

At least there was 1 surprising good news, we got the spotting clock back, which should have been never touched.

I think an enhanced AI would most definitely improve sales of the game. It's true that probably ony die-hard forumites understand the difference between what is feasible with this engine and the run o' mill COD player who wants that tightly scripted feel to things like cover, interior combat and the like. But the new gamer who might like this new world of sandbox combat, probably can't articulate what is they don't like about the AI, they just know that something doesn't feel right when the enemy AI, having a perfectly good house to shoot out of opt to lay down in the street instead.

I was really hoping (and still am) that since this map looks far less cluttered and performance heavy then Chernarus, that they would build these buildings from the ground up with a strong foundation in AI functionality ie. Use and understand windows, doors, and house levels.

If the AI is the same as Arma2 I'll probably pass as I still haven't tried a quarter of the user made islands, units and weapons.

Are there significant changes that are going to be in Arrow head or just same game with different story line(NEW MISSIONS) happening in Central Asia.

Are there significant changes that are going to be in Arrow head or just same game with different story line(NEW MISSIONS) happening in Central Asia.
are you serious? :D

Keep up with the press m8.

80 new weapons,2 new maps, random town generator, new missions, whole new campaign, different campaign force (ARMY instead of marines), new factions; for more detail on the allies check the

, enterable buildings, small performance increase (read this ages ago by a dev, there will hopefully be 1-10% increase so don't expect too much), procedural damage system in vehicles and buildings, functional backpack system, sights-ranging feature, new UAV feature meaning targets can now be lasered from the air, weapon customisation and there are unconfirmed rumours of the ability to shoot from vehicles and more :p all for less than a normal game would cost.

Don't get me wrong but imo this is a whole new game!

Edited by SASrecon

wanna ask something. due to english is not my native language, I can't understand, what background voice is talking about from 3:10 to 3:15. what does ACC represent?

That video... HNNNNNG!

Pros:

Way better Voice acting Thank you BIS.

FLIR looks great and alot of fun

Cons:

Still no new sound engine bits :(

AI Never reacted to hellfire missiles blowing up around them

When the trucks and BDM were taken out, The HDR problems were still evident, causing everything except for the explosions to stand out.

Night Vision is still dark

The bad news is the hookers will be wearing Burkas and FLIR doesn't see through clothing as far as I know.....

26 June is on Saturday, games here in the UK are normally released on weekdays, so am guessing 25th June here!

BIS you are insane, how could you bring out so much News on only one Day. Have been busy providing my Clan with OA News the whole day

I just went backwards to page 175 seeing all sorts of snippets of new content yet no source of the content or compilation. THIS THREAD SUCKS

I just went backwards to page 175 seeing all sorts of snippets of new content yet no source of the content or compilation. THIS THREAD SUCKS

Calm down, here's a list of everything I read about/watched that I compiled for my community:

Confirmed Features:

- New sound engine, possibly supporting 5.1 Surround sound.

- Graphical and Engine improvements/optimizations.

- Working IR Lasers and flashlights.

- Rucksacks.

- Military-grade FLIR.

- Controllable UAVs.

- Aircraft countermeasures + CWC systems.

- FLIR Weapon Sights and Goggles.

- Sight adjustment for Sniper Rifles.

- Random Town Generator for Multiplayer scenarios (like Deathmatch).

- More accessible buildings.

- Performance increase related to better optimization of vegetation.

Unconfirmed Features:

- Working 3D-Real time Editor.

- 64-bit .exe for higher RAM usage.

- Modifiable weapons, a la Modern Warfare 2.

- Ability to shoot weapons from inside vehicles.

Content:

BLUFOR:

- US Army.

- Delta Force.

- German KSK Special forces.

- Czech Army.

- United Nations. (Might be tied to Czech Army, unknown.)

OPFOR:

- Unknown so far, but will include an Al-Qaeda like terrorist faction + a local army.

Vehicles:

- US Army: Bradleys, Strykers, Little Birds, ATVs, M113s, Chinooks, MQ-1 Predator UAV and AH-6x Little Bird UAV.

- Czech Army: Special Land Rover w/ 3 guns on it + Mi-17.

- OPFOR: T-55s, BTR-60s, SCUD Launchers.

Weapons:

- US Army: SCARs, FN FALs, M110 Sniper Rifle.

- Czech Army: Vz. 58, M60E3.

Maps:

- Takistan, 160 Square KM (Chernarus is ~225), modeled after Central Asia.

- Zargabad, (Capital) 70 Square KM, dense urban environment.

Country is graphically modelled after Afghanistan but politically follows Iraq, main enemy faction is local Takistani army, with a terrorist faction backing them.

Campaign:

- Consists of seven scenarios that are played through four roles: A Delta Force Operator, a US Army Airborne infantryman, a US Army Pilot and a US Army Tank Commander. All takes place in one day. Will not include warfare.

- Will be playable in co-op with upto four people.

- Will probably include many signle missions involving other armies.

Expansion is stand-alone, and if you have the original ArmA2 you can integrate it's content into the newer Operation Arrowhead engine. Release is aimed at May/June, and will be announced specifically sometime very soon (next week probably, with a new video). Devs have said game will be priced as an expansion pack so expect it to be around $30.

Operation Arrowhead Screenshot Gallery: http://www.tinyurl.com/oparrowhead

Edit: Added in some stuff I'd missed, thanks SASrecon and Deadfast.

Edited by Hamm

That's what the press coverage thread is for silly ;)

Go read the Arma 2 and OA press thread then FFS

The links posted in this and the other thread of given tons of info.

Deadfasts translated Bohemia interviews also have info.

Calm down, here's a list of everything I read about/watched that I compiled for my community:

Confirmed Features:

- New sound engine, possibly supporting 5.1 Surround sound.

- Graphical and Engine improvements/optimizations.

- Working IR Lasers and flashlights.

- Rucksacks.

- Military-grade FLIR.

- Controllable UAVs.

- Aircraft countermeasures + CWC systems.

- FLIR Weapon Sights and Goggles.

- Sight adjustment for Sniper Rifles.

Unconfirmed Features:

- Working 3D-Real time Editor.

- 64-bit .exe for higher RAM usage.

- Modifiable weapons, a la Modern Warfare 2.

Content:

BLUFOR:

- US Army.

- Delta Force.

- German KSK Special forces.

- Czech Army.

- United Nations. (Might be tied to Czech Army, unknown.)

OPFOR:

- Unknown so far, but will include an Al-Qaeda like terrorist faction + a local army.

Vehicles:

- US Army: Bradleys, Strykers, Little Birds, ATVs, M113s, Chinooks, MQ-1 Predator UAV and AH-6x Little Bird UAV.

- Czech Army: Special Land Rover w/ 3 guns on it + Mi-17.

- OPFOR: T-55s, BTR-60s, SCUD Launchers.

Weapons:

- US Army: SCARs, FN FALs.

Maps:

- Takistan, 160 Square KM (Chernarus is ~225), modeled after Central Asia.

- Zargabad, (Capital) 70 Square KM, dense urban environment.

Country is graphically modelled after Afghanistan but politically follows Iraq, main enemy faction is local Takistani army, with a terrorist faction backing them.

Campaign:

- Consists of seven scenarios that are played through four roles: A Delta Force Operator, a US Army Airborne infantryman, a US Army Pilot and a US Army Tank Commander. All takes place in one day. Will not include warfare.

- Will be playable in co-op with upto four people.

- Will probably include many signle missions involving other armies.

Expansion is stand-alone, and if you have the original ArmA2 you can integrate it's content into the newer Operation Arrowhead engine. Release is aimed at May/June, and will be announced specifically sometime very soon (next week probably, with a new video). Devs have said game will be priced as an expansion pack so expect it to be around $30.

Operation Arrowhead Screenshot Gallery: http://www.tinyurl.com/oparrowhead