Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

What's the difference between self-designation and just using the target list/tab/right-click method?

Just to add to what Steakslim already said:

- Self laser-designation is not only much more realistic (specially regarding laser guided weapons, such as the AGM-114K Hellfire) but also allows an Apache gunner to autonomously engage infantry and buildings with Hellfire missiles which are realistic situations that happen quite often in real world scenarios (like Afghanistan or Iraq) a thing not possible with "target list/tab key" since this method only locks vehicles (and only those with engines turned on). The right-click method looks a bit more realistic and could somehow or partially model the "Autotrack" ability present in some of modern aircraft FLIR system such as in the Apache FLIR but at least presently the right-click method doesn't allows an Apache gunner to for example lock an infantry soldier or most of the existing buildings and doesn't allow the gunner to simply "lock" (designate) a place on the ground (in case for example the gunner wants to take out a compact group of infantry or a suspected place with an Hellfire).

- I also hope and strongly desire that BIS allows self laser-designation for aircraft (like the Apache, but not only) and like someone said before this would be a logical and a mandatory feature. My fear is that it seems that in the current ArmA2 engine version self laser-designation it's not possible. It's only possible to laser-designate to other platforms - For example if a helo is equiped with both laser designator and Hellfire missiles it can only designate to other helos/aircraft and not to their own Hellfire missiles and so far from what I've seen this "AH-64 Apache and AH-6x combo" does exactly this. I just hope and request that BIS allows aircraft self laser-designation.

- I also hope and strongly desire that BIS allows self laser-designation for aircraft (like the Apache, but not only) and like someone said before this would be a logical and a mandatory feature. My fear is that it seems that in the current ArmA2 engine version self laser-designation it's not possible. It's only possible to laser-designate to other platforms - For example if a helo is equiped with both laser designator and Hellfire missiles it can only designate to other helos/aircraft and not to their own Hellfire missiles and so far from what I've seen this "AH-64 Apache and AH-6x combo" does exactly this. I just hope and request that BIS allows aircraft self laser-designation.

ACE2 has self-designation so it is doable.

Just to add to what Steakslim already said:

- Self laser-designation is not only much more realistic (specially regarding laser guided weapons, such as the AGM-114K Hellfire) but also allows an Apache gunner to autonomously engage infantry and buildings with Hellfire missiles which are realistic situations that happen quite often in real world scenarios (like Afghanistan or Iraq) a thing not possible with "target list/tab key" since this method only locks vehicles (and only those with engines turned on). The right-click method looks a bit more realistic and could somehow or partially model the "Autotrack" ability present in some of modern aircraft FLIR system such as in the Apache FLIR but at least presently the right-click method doesn't allows an Apache gunner to for example lock an infantry soldier or most of the existing buildings and doesn't allow the gunner to simply "lock" (designate) a place on the ground (in case for example the gunner wants to take out a compact group of infantry or a suspected place with an Hellfire).

With the draw and view distance in the game though, if you are trying to lock onto infantry, you might as well just use the cannon. You're going to be in range for it. I'm not saying I don't want self-designation but I think there are bigger issues to be fixed. But if they add in self-designation, that is fine with me. Its just not something I ever thought that I needed.

Hmm, couldn't you add laser designator for helicopter gunner and missiles for the pilot? We can have multiple weapon stations now so not all weapons have to be controlled by the main gunner.

Also it's interesting to see that even simple infantry weapons can use FLIR. Maybe we can finally make proper night vision sights for small arms too :).

Maybe we can finally make proper night vision sights for small arms too

There is already that in OA AFAIK. The image of the SCAR with thermal scope was shown in the magazine (PC Gamer?) not long ago. :)

EDIT: Aww you said NVG ofcourse.... Sorry. Yeah that i dont know. Maybe.

Ya, but didn't ya notice how MUCH of the screen these sights take up?!

I didn't understand the comment in Deadfast's translation of the Eurogamer.cz article, "I got a rifle with a telescopic sight so huge it filled nearly half of the screen." until I saw this shot. There is another example here.

Situational awareness in a 2d display simulating a 3d environment is bad enough as it is - now we gotta lose the whole right side of it? Is BIS out of their minds? :confused:

I might be less upset if they would give us true 6DOF with TrackIR, so that I could pop my head up or lean it to the side (like you would in the real world) to compensate for it, but I don't see anything being posted about this as a new feature so I gotta assume that if this new view makes it through to gold bits, I for one will be a MOST unhappy camper. :(

Anyone else notice this?

-edit----------

Took some of the "emotion" out of the post. It still bugs me, but it didn't need to be amplified. Otherwise, there is a ton of good stuff coming. Shoulda also made that apparent in my first post. /me is sorry :o

Well my friend, looks the thermal sights won't be your type of sights. TI was something many players wanted and i was very happy BIS decided to add some TI sights. Yes, they are big (for more info: http://www.sanders.com/BAEProd/groups/public/documents/bae_publication/bae_pdf_eis_tws.pdf). Be glad we are already 2010 and don't need to run with the first generation of TI sights :p .

You can't have it all, don't forget TI is a real big PLUS. Maybe for once 'balance' is a good thing (lack of view versus 'cheat view'). Also i'm no soldier, but i think in real life TI sights are also only used i missions that allow it (spotting/recon).

Like said, you can (must) lower your weapon for more situation awareness.

Anyway, also like some already mentioned, there are always click-on TI sights. I'm sure we will see some once we can use them (lets just hope BIS allowed we can cfg dual sight settings: TI & normal/NV view in case of click-on sights).

Fact is: TI, weapon lights and lasers will make night missions in this game (hm maybe we can start calling a sim now ;) ) tons harder in the right hands. Wouldn't like to be OPFOR player...

Edited by DaSquade

ah well..

this war simulator still supports third person.. so i dont see the problem with big scopes in your screen :mad:

With the draw and view distance in the game though, if you are trying to lock onto infantry, you might as well just use the cannon. You're going to be in range for it. I'm not saying I don't want self-designation but I think there are bigger issues to be fixed. But if they add in self-designation, that is fine with me. Its just not something I ever thought that I needed.

Yes, I understand what you're saying but don't forget that fortunally ArmA2 can have 2 kinds of viewdistances, the "usual" Viewdistance (or ground viewdistance) which is the viewdistance seen by soldiers on foot and on ground vehicles and an Air Viewdistance is also possible which is the viewdistance seen by pilots or soldiers on board of aircraft (helos and fixed-wing aircraft). You can set this kind of viewdistance in missions like Domination for example and for obvious reasons (less grass detail for example) the Air Viewdistance is much less demanding than the ground viewdistance so this means that ArmA2-Op. Arrowhead can be tweaked so that we could have an Air Viewdistance much higher than the "usual" (ground) Viewdistance without happering the game's performance.

Resuming, I believe that the "viewdistance issue" could be "easily" solved by tweaking the game/engine like the example mentioned above.

But even with the limited viewdistance usually seen in most ArmA2 missions I can give you some examples that I've experienced where self laser-designation would be extremelly usefull, like for example:

- In a situation where there are enemies hidden in a bunker. A 20mm or 30mm cannons (mounted on attack helos) as expected aren't effective against bunkers so the logical choise would be to use a Hellfire missile a thing that's not possible to do (the Tab key doesn't lock bunkers) unless there's a friendly soldier on the ground "painting" the enemy bunker with a laser designator (which very often it isn't possible for a wide array of reasons).

- A Tank or an Anti-Aircraft armored vehicle like a Shilka for example with its engine off can't be locked using the Tab key, and sometimes the right mouse button doesn't work well in these situations as well, so manually aiming and self laser-designating an Hellfire would be the best solution for such situations!

- And once again, self laser designating targets is how things work for laser guided weapons on any aircraft platform being it Laser Hellfire/Apache/Cobra or Paveway/A-10/Harrier/F-35, etc...

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

ACE2 has self-designation so it is doable.

Yes, you're correct! Thanks for reminding me about that feature of ACE2.

wanna ask something. due to english is not my native language, I can't understand, what background voice is talking about from 3:10 to 3:15. what does ACC represent?
Accuracy, calculated possibility of a hit.

Next Operation Arrowhead teaser from arma2.pl - Cover design in HD

Cheers guys!

That's pretty shameful, BIS need to make a more chill cover. This one looks a bit too flashy.

Its a bit cheesy, also it just seems to be some random images thrown together to me.

Less = more, look at the original OFP cover.

Lol, I still like the original OFP cover, but I must admit that it is an incredibly boring cover. It's literally just a soldier pointing his weapon at the package holder. At least this has a little going on in it. I think my love for it is simply related to my love for OFP, heh.

But in the end it's just a cover. The game is what matters.

Not a huge fan of the cover either, I agree that "less is more".

Kinda looks like it's trying to look too hard-core.

Lol, I still like the original OFP cover, but I must admit that it is an incredibly boring cover. It's literally just a soldier pointing his weapon at the package holder. At least this has a little going on in it. I think my love for it is simply related to my love for OFP, heh.

But in the end it's just a cover. The game is what matters.

OFP cover was incredibly nice actually, wish they'd do something similar. I guess the new type of cover attracts the younger type of gamer.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1021493838-00.jpg

Only thing with it I don't like it the focused soldier in the front, the out of focus guy behind him and the sharp in focus tank behind him.... double focus, really?

The lighting also gives it a catalog shoot appereance.

Offcourse I understand this cover is in production allready so no need worrying about it anymore than this. But if it isn't please fire up photoshop once more, play with the levels of the soldier in the front and unfocus the tank in the back aswell with some good old lens blur over it.

And while you're at it, make the soldier more brown, his face less red. So it looks more like a desert theme to it. The camo is pretty gray/green/blue-ish but almost no contrast between the colours.

I couldn't care less about the cover, infact i just had to take a look at my ArmA 2 cover to remember how it looked :p

when is this game being released?

June-ish. I don't think we have an actual confirmed date, just a few sites guessing while putting up an item page for the game.

Yes, the cover is a bit cheesy... if I were supposed to judge a game by the cover I would have thought it's some CoD-ish arcade. But if a more flashy box art will help to sell more copies, fine by me :rolleyes:

Yes, the cover is a bit cheesy... if I were supposed to judge a game by the cover I would have thought it's some CoD-ish arcade. But if a more flashy box art will help to sell more copies, fine by me :rolleyes:

I vote your signature for cover art :p

Edited by sparks50

I think BI is following trough with the general Idea of the cover, ever since OFP. In every case, you had a soldier on the cover, pointing his Gun (exception being Armed Assault) and looking dramatic.

I completely don´t mind! And if you want to nitpick the focus of the picture you could continue with the lighting being off and the uniform not being too dirty, etc, and its pointless. After all, what matters is what is inside, not on the face of it.

Whats much more interesting to worry about remains the AI, in my opinion. I don´t think I´ll be able to get into pvp gaming in the near future, so PR will nicely and silently slip past me. So that remains my primary concern.

Suffice to say, I´m still confident, though. A few preview video snippets prove nothing. :>

Cheers