Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

I added in some other stuff I'd missed, thanks to SASrecon. Check out the edited post.

Weapons:

+ Vz. 58, M60E3(?), both used by the Czech Special Forces.

+ Vz. 58, M60E3(?), both used by the Czech Special Forces.

Not to mention new M14 variants.

Not to mention new M14 variants.

Here's an updated post so far:

Confirmed Features:

- New sound engine, possibly supporting 5.1 Surround sound.

- Graphical and Engine improvements/optimizations.

- Working IR Lasers and flashlights.

- Rucksacks.

- Military-grade FLIR.

- Controllable UAVs.

- Aircraft countermeasures + CWC systems.

- FLIR Weapon Sights and Goggles.

- Sight adjustment for Sniper Rifles.

- Random Town Generator for Multiplayer scenarios (like Deathmatch).

- More accessible buildings.

- Performance increase related to better optimization of vegetation.

Unconfirmed Features:

- Working 3D-Real time Editor.

- 64-bit .exe for higher RAM usage.

- Modifiable weapons, a la Modern Warfare 2.

- Ability to shoot weapons from inside vehicles.

Content:

BLUFOR:

- US Army.

- Delta Force.

- German KSK Special forces.

- Czech Army.

- United Nations. (Might be tied to Czech Army, unknown.)

OPFOR:

- Unknown so far, but will include an Al-Qaeda like terrorist faction + a local army.

Vehicles:

- US Army: Bradleys, Strykers, Little Birds, ATVs, M113s, Chinooks, MQ-1 Predator UAV and AH-6x Little Bird UAV.

- Czech Army: Special Land Rover w/ 3 guns on it + Mi-17.

- OPFOR: T-55s, BTR-60s, SCUD Launchers.

Weapons:

- US Army: SCARs, FN FALs, M110 Sniper Rifle, M14 Variants.

- Czech Army: Vz. 58, M60E4.

Maps:

- Takistan, 160 Square KM (Chernarus is ~225), modeled after Central Asia.

- Zargabad, (Capital) 70 Square KM, dense urban environment.

Country is graphically modelled after Afghanistan but politically follows Iraq, main enemy faction is local Takistani army, with a terrorist faction backing them.

Campaign:

- Consists of seven scenarios that are played through four roles: A Delta Force Operator, a US Army Airborne infantryman, a US Army Pilot and a US Army Tank Commander. All takes place in one day. Will not include warfare.

- Will be playable in co-op with upto four people.

- Will probably include many signle missions involving other armies.

Expansion is stand-alone, and if you have the original ArmA2 you can integrate it's content into the newer Operation Arrowhead engine. Release is aimed at May/June, and will be announced specifically sometime very soon (next week probably, with a new video). Devs have said game will be priced as an expansion pack so expect it to be around $30.

Operation Arrowhead Screenshot Gallery: http://www.tinyurl.com/oparrowhead

Added in some stuff I'd missed, thanks SASrecon, Deadfast and SteakSlim.

Edited by Hamm

Unconfirmed Features:

- Working 3D-Real time Editor.

- 64-bit .exe for higher RAM usage.

- Modifiable weapons, a la Modern Warfare 2.

- Ability to shoot weapons from inside vehicles.

Lul'whut? Where did you pluck this stuff from?

Question about FLIR:

When they explode the BRDM, you can´t see anything else but the explosion\fire, because of the contrast. Is the same IRL or thats because of the HDR?

This is what I asked myself too.

Wishful thinking posts on this forum. ;)

+ vz. 58, m60e3(?), both used by the czech special forces.

m60e4...

- 3D-Real Time Editor: Hopeful posts on this forum, but since an unfinished version of it already exists in ArmA2 it's not far off.

- 64-Bit .exe: No real source for this, other than posts here.

- Modifiable Weapons: From one of the Czech magazines previews.

- Ability to shoot from inside vehicles: Chalk this one up to pre-ArmA2 speculation + posts here.

Should have called that section Rumoured Features instead of Unconfirmed :o

- 3D-Real Time Editor: Hopeful posts on this forum, but since an unfinished version of it already exists in ArmA2 it's not far off.

- 64-Bit .exe: No real source for this, other than posts here.

- Modifiable Weapons: From one of the Czech magazines previews.

- Ability to shoot from inside vehicles: Chalk this one up to pre-ArmA2 speculation + posts here.

Should have called that section Rumoured Features instead of Unconfirmed :o

I think the weapons modifications the article spoke of was simply the availability of newer variants after the completion of a mission or objective.

Edit: That OR, and this is just a guess, they've changed something in the way you select your variants. Pick a rifle, pick the attachments, and you end up with the appropriate variant.

Edited by Steakslim

Im still waiting to see if any of these will make it into OA

Reload animations and better boarding animations for vehicles

Ability to shoot and break glass on buildings and shoot out of them.

Improved LOD scaling for bushes and trees, in alot of these press screenshots you can see 2D bushes at relatively close distance.

Improved Night vision goggles (High dynamic range fixes) so when using them your vision isnt pitch black like if you were not using them.

Kick back of rifle in ironsight view instead of just ascending recoil.

Improved night time lighting and muzzle flashes.

RV engine being able to simulate "Angular Momentum"

Edited by Flash Thunder

What? No 64-bit Flash? Could it be you've freshened up the hopelessly-naive-wishes bucket by your computer, I'm sure some new ones have turned up in this latest handful.

Im still waiting to see if any of these will make it into OA

Reload animations and better boarding animations for vehicles

Ability to shoot and break glass on buildings and shoot out of them.

Improved LOD scaling for bushes and trees, in alot of these press screenshots you can see 2D bushes at relatively close distance.

Improved Night vision goggles (High dynamic range fixes) so when using them your vision isnt pitch black like if you were not using them.

Kick back of rifle in ironsight view instead of just ascending recoil.

Improved night time lighting and muzzle flashes.

If shooting from inside vehicles is do-able in VBS2 then why not Arma2? It's a civilian/consumers port of VBS2 right?

This is what I asked myself too.

Yep seems the HDR is mocking up and making it impossible to see when too much light hit the screen. Little disapointing, but i guess this one is hard to get rid of at this stage.

It does look great though. We wanted the VBS2 FLIR and we got it - even enhanced so we shouldnt complain. :) Good work BIS!

Shooting from vehicles... Cmon and get into the match. There are countless of explanations why some things cant get into this game from VBS. And they are explained so many times i cant be arsed to explain them again. Sorry.

If shooting from inside vehicles is do-able in VBS2 then why not Arma2? It's a civilian/consumers port of VBS2 right?

Not a direct port.

This conversation was made here already several times. In short: It doesn´t just "Copypasta" from VBS, the engine "roots" are the same, but no the whole "tree".

Yep seems the HDR is mocking up and making it impossible to see when too much light hit the screen. Little disapointing, but i guess this one is hard to get rid of at this stage.

Whatever the cause it's highly believable (in fact I'd have thought likely) that as with any other imaging device FLIR takes a moment to auto-adjust gain when dealing with sudden changes. Not a biggie at all, rather in all likelihood a good thing.

Shooting from vehicles... Cmon and get into the match. There are countless of explanations why some things cant get into this game from VBS. And they are explained so many times i cant be arsed to explain them again. Sorry.

Who said that we wanted VBS´ shooting from vehicles system?

Everyone who tried jcove sure as hell doesn´t!

Fundamental changes is what ArmA badly needs - be it AI, GFX, or game mechanix. Otherwise we´re still stuck with OFP on roids.

It´s not a simple task, we all know that.

But seeing how some fan made mods put more effort into their work than the original makers is a damn shame. They could accomplish so much more if they just wanted to.

Putting all my hopes on ArmA3 now ... if there´s ever going to be one.

You know, expectations grow with ones age :(

ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL !

Kidding? oO

ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL !

Looks awesome, but I would really like to know if the Apache (gunner) has self laser-designation allowing the same type of designation like the one shown on the UAV FLIR of that video? While the UAV is and will be a great asset (making the Apache less exposed to the enemy), in real life the Apache can self-designate targets without the need of any UAV (or any other laser designating "platform").

HDR is screwed up on FLIR too, flames drown out eventhing else.

Anyway the FLIR looks great apart from that, really impressive.

Looks awesome, but I would really like to know if the Apache (gunner) has self laser-designation allowing the same type of designation like the one shown on the UAV FLIR of that video? While the UAV is and will be a great asset (making the Apache less exposed to the enemy), in real life the Apache can self-designate targets without the need of any UAV (or any other laser designating "platform").

True, but having an unmanned drone get close enough to designate targets is safer than the apache doing it itself.

Check here for more info:

What? No 64-bit Flash? Could it be you've freshened up the hopelessly-naive-wishes bucket by your computer, I'm sure some new ones have turned up in this latest handful.

Got to love this community. :D

I think my wish bucket was accidentally mistaken for my ash tray. mmmkay.

BIS is probably saying the same thing right about now. :)

I just want alot of those good features top voted on Dev heaven to make there way to OA.

Looks like PC gamer is the only ones with Nuclear powered PC's, those screenshots look amazing!

Cool we got a Chevy Tahoe in Operation Arrowhead albiet alittle boxier than the real thing.

oh and im hoping for the weapon modifications and weapon loadout built into editor for ease of use.

Edited by Flash Thunder