Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

True, but having an unmanned drone get close enough to designate targets is safer than the apache doing it itself.

Check here for more info:

Yes, the AH-6x UAV will definitly be a great asset in ArmA2 (and of course in real life too) - a thing that I also mentioned on my latest post.

BTW, great Future Weapons video about the AH-6x, thanks for sharing!

But again, we also need self-designating Apache (gunner position) which would work the exact same way as the UAV (AH-6x) FLIR because:

1- It's realistic

2- In case there's no UAV available.

3- In case the available UAV(s) is(are) shot down.

4- In case there's no other laser designator platform (like a laser-designator equiped infantry).

5- It gives a self autonomous capability to the Apache to engage buildings and enemy infantry with Hellfire missiles and thing which again is --> Realistic!

BTW, can someone confirm or not if the Apache will have self-laser designation capability in ArmA2 Arrowhead?

The Apache probably WILL come with self-designation ..... we just have to wait and see !

I think it would be short sighted of BIS to not have self-designation. With the feature obviously there I do not see why they would not include it for the Apache itself.

What's the difference between self-designation and just using the target list/tab/right-click method?

If you play Arma 2 alot you should already know about the lighting problems and HDR issues.

See post 465 for a pic of it, please be fixed in OA. I love you long time

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74694&page=47

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Nothing has changed. It's more of a mod than an expansion.

ummm.

No the Datadisk was changed so you could have the new FLIR etc.

What's the difference between self-designation and just using the target list/tab/right-click method?

relying on the gunner to actually paint the target rather than the pilot engaging targets at his discretion with poor-man's radar lock.

relying on the gunner to actually paint the target rather than the pilot engaging targets at his discretion with poor-man's radar lock.

I'm assuming that was a response to my question. The gunner already does that in ArmA II, ArmA, and OFP.

The HDR washout in FLIR was not good. I like the AI voice you can hear midway through though, all the words seemed to be recorded in the same tone so it wasn't the usual

ENEMY tank SPOTTED at six FIVE eight NINE etc.

I'm assuming that was a response to my question. The gunner already does that in ArmA II, ArmA, and OFP.

Yeah I forgot to quote you while responding, i fixed that while you were posting.

Anywho, no the gunner doesn't already do "that". You can do target locking ala with the right click the same as the pilot would with the tab button, but you are not actually painting a laser on the target. There's more than one kind of AGM-114 Hellfire missile and in ArmA2 currently it's just a generic fire and forget as would be with the AGM-114L. BIS is attempting to make it more realistic in Arrowhead rather than the generic targeting we've seen since OFP as you've seen with the laser guided 114K's. The closer to what Mandoble has been doing all this time they get, the better.

Can any of the devs explain why the UAV fly at such a low altitude at DEFAULT please ( I am aware you can change the altitude in the INIT)?

Is it do with drawdistance etc?

Edited by Curious

Can any of the devs explain why the UAV fly at such a low altitude at DEFAULT please ( I am aware you change altitude in the INIT)?

Is it do with drawdistance etc?

If you are refering to the AH-6x, I am to assume it's so it doesn't get shot down? Though personally I'd like to be able to adjust it's hight when choosing it's flightpath.

Self designation is more realistic, rather then just tabbing to magically lock up say a tank the gunner would have to fire a laser, stick it on the tank, lock the laser (automatic?), fire the missile at the laser and keep the laser on target.

Much better then the crappy tab click, tab click, tab click system.

If you are refering to the AH-6x, I am to assume it's so it doesn't get shot down? Though personally I'd like to be able to adjust it's hight when choosing it's flightpath.

The reaper. So the uav in the video was the remote controlled MH6?

Pardon my ignorance :o

The reaper. So the uav in the video was the remote controlled MH6?

Pardon my ignorance :o

Yeah they were showing it off since it is one of the new toys. I dunno about the reaper, in the past year I've hardly batted an eye at it because it's lack of usability in MP. (It can be used, but as most will mention, it was kinda poorly implemented).

Looks like PC gamer is the only ones with Nuclear powered PC's, those screenshots look amazing!

Erm....PC Gamers shots dont look all that great. I mean they're awesome but HookedGamers easily had the best screenshots! They looks fucking amazing!

Just sayin...:rolleyes:

Hooked either turned their settings up for screenshot purposes, or they have a media pack provided by BIS and they posted the screenshots from that (remember when OA was first announced and the high quality screens BIS released in their media pack?). The other sites seemed to used screenshots they took while testing out the preview build, and in some articles it's mentioned they were playing at medium settings so their captures were not so great in terms of in game quality.

Okay I need to stop responding to this thread for an hour or two, just realised every other post is mine lol.

Edited by Steakslim

Erm....PC Gamers shots dont look all that great. I mean they're awesome but HookedGamers easily had the best screenshots! They looks fucking amazing!

Probably them, I just got them switched, yeah one of them had awesome screenshots everyone else was lacking (had the graphics turned down alot)

Yeah I really like the voice acting from what I've heard so far.

No more: ENEMY MON and Western Medic MON to the South of US.

So cheezy yet so exploitable, BIS dont add any of those unprofessional lines in there like Noobskowski, "aussies at solewater..." my undies are choppin me in two gimmie a minute. LOL :p

HookedGamers gallery looks like a BI media package. I kinda doubt a journalist would put so much effort into it.

So much awesomeness at once *head asplodes*

New content looks great, but please focus on the AI and performance BIS!

It looks good, but there's still no FCS, particle effects look the same as in A2 (bad!) and the sound effects make me cringe. The flares sounded like a cow taking a dump, or something...

Interesting... adjustable sights in "vanilla" version at last...

[imghttp://www.hrajmobil.sk/files/11933-obr?type=3&img_w=900&img_h=600[/img]

Ya, but didn't ya notice how MUCH of the screen these sights take up?!

I didn't understand the comment in Deadfast's translation of the Eurogamer.cz article, "I got a rifle with a telescopic sight so huge it filled nearly half of the screen." until I saw this shot. There is another example here.

Situational awareness in a 2d display simulating a 3d environment is bad enough as it is - now we gotta lose the whole right side of it? Is BIS out of their minds? :confused:

I might be less upset if they would give us true 6DOF with TrackIR, so that I could pop my head up or lean it to the side (like you would in the real world) to compensate for it, but I don't see anything being posted about this as a new feature so I gotta assume that if this new view makes it through to gold bits, I for one will be a MOST unhappy camper. :(

Anyone else notice this?

-edit----------

Took some of the "emotion" out of the post. It still bugs me, but it didn't need to be amplified. Otherwise, there is a ton of good stuff coming. Shoulda also made that apparent in my first post. /me is sorry :o

Edited by Placebo

It looks good, but there's still no FCS, particle effects look the same as in A2 (bad!) and the sound effects make me cringe. The flares sounded like a cow taking a dump, or something...

Agreed, the tracers look bad, smoke is okay, it could be alot better like in that "other game".

Anyone else notice this?

Yeah I think its insane how much that scope takes up of your screen.

I might just have to skip on the weapon. imagine having to clear a room of a building with that thing. :eek:

If you're trying to clear a room with a M110 with a thermal imagine scope mounted, then you are doing something terribly wrong.

Plus you can always lower the weapon while you move about.

I cant wait to see what modders can do with this games arma 2 addons were great but this maybe epic high hope's I know all I can hope is when you shoot at the ai they shoot back are at the vary least they don't just run at you