Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

I don't think we'll have improved sounds in the terms of 'realistic' sounds, I don't expect that from BIS, but the engine may be improved to allow for more so called "voices" at the same time, so instead of having too many sounds in a single scene to were some sounds simply won't play, it may allow a higher amount of simultanious soundfx in a single time.

This is all speculation of course.

Wasn't it mentioned some time ago that BIS were recording new, more realistic sounds for weapons and such?

Wasn't it mentioned some time ago that BIS were recording new, more realistic sounds for weapons and such?

Well the scar certainly sounded awesome^^

Oh yes! They even had a sound sample .mp3 to go with the announcement!

(iirc refering to this page for samples). But after hearing the latest ingame videos it´s like wtf shitty old sounds all over again :banghead:

Off course this stands besides neglecting of numerous other vital improvements of core game elements .... and almost any of us long time members (& players & customers (!)) can approve my harsh statement. It´s becoming less & less fun waiting for simple things that only the developer can achieve but somehow isn´t willing to do.

if they can why don't they do it? :D

holy hell those are some good sound effects, the ones in arma 2 are not that well done.

which is why i think alot of us when we heard "new sound engine" thought we would get better sound effects aswell.

The sound samples on their website sound so natural and crisp.

You can hear the echoes the machine gun firing, dont know why this isn't present in arma 2 already, the music though sounds the same ingame.

hopefully with OA and the new sound engine our guns and vehicles will sound similar to those recordings that would easily make the immersion factor 10 fold!

Edited by Flash Thunder

Oh yes! They even had a sound sample .mp3 to go with the announcement!

(iirc refering to this page for samples). But after hearing the latest ingame videos it´s like wtf shitty old sounds all over again :banghead:

Off course this stands besides neglecting of numerous other vital improvements of core game elements .... and almost any of us long time members (& players & customers (!)) can approve my harsh statement. It´s becoming less & less fun waiting for simple things that only the developer can achieve but somehow isn´t willing to do.

100% True!

It really gets annoying over the time and its not that we are getting younger...

The more really "important" RL issues occur, the less time and fun i'm having to play their games.

However always coming back and seeing (promised long ago!) major engine changes in the product-familiy not to be achieved, which the community would have done/fixed in no-time if they wouldn't be hard-coded/un-modable, makes us sad or even more than sad. :rolleyes::(

Also Regarding that Bootcamp-Video.... hmm i can't see anything good in it.

Same Game, same engine, same issues and regarding weapon-simulation same lack of love for detail.

Javelin is really uber-cheap, sorry but really every second-hand kindergarden-shooter can do it better these days - wasn't Arma2 called the "Most realistic military simulation"???

Carl-Gustav should be looked at ACE2 how its done.

This is what i call love for detail and military accuracy.

Sounds are same old crappy Arma2 sounds like before, the comparison by others to BIS new recording-studio is very appropriate!

Etc..... :(

Ok ok ok

Sounds? Are you Serious? Slow down guys. Have you no sound mods? I think the point that is constantly missed here is BIS makes games, and the community adds on. BIS makes new improved game with community input, and community adds on. This works as a partnership between the community and the actual developers of the game. This type of availability is unheard of. Name one company that gives you this type access to the developers. Other companys are garbage put out garbage, people complain, and they continue to do as they please, and put out more garbage. Jesus, have you not fucking seen Operation Arrowhead? The negativity here is laughable. You are missing the point completely. This has all been a wonderful journey. Does no one remember the beginning? OFP? If you played it, just think about the times you had on that game. Truly Epic. You should feel blessed and privileged that this software is even being made available for you to purchase. This IS the definitive military simulator. Nothing even comes close. BIS has already dominated, and now they will conquer with Operation Arrowhead. Game over.

Ok ok ok

Sounds? Are you Serious? Slow down guys. Have you no sound mods? I think the point that is constantly missed here is BIS makes games, and the community adds on. BIS makes new improved game with community input, and community adds on. This works as a partnership between the community and the actual developers of the game. This type of availability is unheard of. Name one company that gives you this type access to the developers. Other companys are garbage put out garbage, people complain, and they continue to do as they please, and put out more garbage. Jesus, have you not fucking seen Operation Arrowhead? The negativity here is laughable. You are missing the point completely. This has all been a wonderful journey. Does no one remember the beginning? OFP? If you played it, just think about the times you had on that game. Truly Epic. You should feel blessed and privileged that this software is even being made available for you to purchase. This IS the definitive military simulator. Nothing even comes close. BIS has already dominated, and now they will conquer with Operation Arrowhead. Game over.

I don't think that any developers of any game can 'expect' the community to make their game, they should always do it to their fullest and not just leave the job to the community. That's just wrong IMO.

I don't think that any developers of any game can 'expect' the community to make their game, they should always do it to their fullest and not just leave the job to the community. That's just wrong IMO.

In this case I actually agree. Sound is one of those things that makes or breaks the atmosphere of a game, so it should be done correctly from the start.

Sound is one of those things that makes or breaks the atmosphere of a game, so it should be done correctly from the start.
Not only that, Mods also have a bad habit of breaking certain aspects of the game now and again.

You guys crack me up... "Lack of love of detail" ? "no vital improvement to core game element" ?

Will all due respects, the detail level in the game is pretty impressive already and BIS can be pretty anal about it. You have 200 square km or land painstakingly reproduced almost up to the smaller rocks, bushes, flies and mushrooms. And what about the new insane FLIR ?

Don't get me started on vehicles or weapons : we have almost everything from carriers to bikes and from artillery to hand guns. Guess what ? a screw is misplaced on the 30th scar version ? Live with it...

Sound samples are pretty nice to me, especially vehicles and environment. New ones are getting even better. Weapon sounds ? I don't know, I'm no expert in this, but it does the trick to me and probably to 80% of the players which don't spend their time on a shooting range.

No vital improvement to core game since OFP ? How can you say that ?

- Graphics : Obviously a major improvement and being worked on constantly

- Sound : it's in the work, but many sounds are already top notch.

- Animation : quite improved (reloading, binoculars, track IR...)

- AI : micro-AI and new tweaks in every single patch

- Gameplay : warfare, Flir, Join in Progress, VON, UAVs, high command, conversation systems, backpacks, Random Town Generation, sight adjustment, battlefield clearance, flashlights, secops module, civilians...

- Physics : not top notch, but they do the trick for me and are MP friendly. + new destruction models.

Is there still more to do ? certainly with a game of that scope, and I have my own list of pet peeves (3D editor with special gear and briefing interface, Picture in Picture...) but sounding like BIS is slacking and refuses to correct obvious flaws while the allmighty community would make it in a breeze is not only disrespectful but plain wrong.

Edited by EricM

You guys crack me up... "Lack of love of detail" ? "no vital improvement to core game element" ?

Will all due respects, the detail level in the game is pretty impressive already and BIS can be pretty anal about it. You have 200 square km or land painstakingly reproduced almost up to the smaller rocks, bushes, flies and mushrooms. And what about the new insane FLIR ?

Don't get me started on vehicles or weapons : we have almost everything from carriers to bikes and from artillery to hand guns. Guess what ? a screw is misplaced on the 30th scar version ? Live with it...

Sound samples are pretty nice to me, especially vehicles and environment. New ones are getting even better. Weapon sounds ? I don't know, I'm no expert in this, but it does the trick to me and probably to 80% of the players which don't spend their time on a shooting range.

No vital improvement to core game since OFP ? How can you say that ?

- Graphics : Obviously a major improvement and being worked on constantly

- Sound : it's in the work, but many sounds are already top notch.

- Animation : quite improved (reloading, binoculars, track IR...)

- AI : micro-AI and new tweaks in every single patch

- Gameplay : warfare, Flir, Join in Progress, VON, UAVs, high command, conversation systems, backpacks, Random Town Generation, sight adjustment, battlefield clearance, flashlights, secops module, civilians...

- Physics : not top notch, but they do the trick for me and are MP friendly. + new destruction models.

Is there still more to do ? certainly with a game of that scope, and I have my own list of pet peeves (3D editor with special gear and briefing interface, Picture in Picture...) but sounding like BIS is slacking and refuses to correct obvious flaws while the allmighty community would make it in a breeze is not only disrespectful but plain wrong.

THIS, QFT.

<Insert standard reply to the whiners of "if you can do better, feel free" here>

<Insert standard whiner response of not doing better in the following posts>

I don't this that BIS cares about those bunch of complaining kids, I know and I've many friends who just play this game and their are excited about new things in OA and they don't cry on the forum because they just love this game... those who complain here are small % of whole OFP/ARMA community... who cares about small %? I think even even God does not take them serious.

I wonder if people are going to grab the grip of russian guns this time.

I don't this that BIS cares about those bunch of complaining kids, I know and I've many friends who just play this game and their are excited about new things in OA and they don't cry on the forum because they just love this game... those who complain here are small % of whole OFP/ARMA community... who cares about small %? I think even even God does not take them serious.

LOL funny stuff. :D And true. When you start looking you can find problems, but when you enjoy this game with good friends you see all the fun you get you from it instead. And what great fun it is! :)

Has anyone ever had to do and assignment for school where they tell you what to make? Have you ever got and assigment where it's all up to you to show what you can do and what you love doing?

Do you think you will put the same items in both assigments? BIS created their own projects and found people who thought it was worth putting money in it. BIS made their own list of items they wanted in it and wanted to put effort on, if they don't work on something even though you're asking for it might mean they just don't care that much about making that for you.

We really have to remember that it's BIS who started working on these games and found publishers and a whole community, not the other way around, they do NOT work for us, we just enjoy what they do!

(Hope I get my point through here)

Also one other thing, don't you guys think there a difference between a recorded sound from real life and a sound putten into an engine and simulated to be broadcasted around you in a simulated environment with simulated war going on?!

Imho BIS made a statement were they said that OA has many improved/optimized features incl. new recorded and more "realistic" sounds. Maybe we can hope that among other things those new sounds will made it into the OA release version? Nothing too bad to demand some of the improvements/optimizations and new features that were already done by community. Why should the community do the same work over again and again with every new release? ;)

Some ppl seems to think that "sound engine" == "sound sample"

It's the ultimate paradox... genuinely funny, yet sad.

It's like, 'which of these ogg sound files do you think contains the sound engine, and which do not?'

This is what BIS have said about the sounds in Operation Arrowhead.

Well, perhaps because shown audio recording session was for Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, and that game is not out yet? There were already few real world recording sessions and more are planned. We hope in the finished game it will be worth the effort but you have to wait few more months.
That was a response to someone asking about these sound samples, in this thread.

At 0:45 in

the hungarian guy said, according to the subtitles atleast;
We're going to have a new sound system, the audio is getting reworked. We're rebuilding it entirely

It sure sounds like we're getting a new kick ass sound engine with totally awesome sounds. But BIS never really said that. It's just a conclusion people have drawn, based on the two statements above.

Maybe the hungarian guy in the Game Page interview was merely talking about the radio protocol, which evidently is getting reworked. What about those sound samples then? Marek told us those were recorded specifically for OA. But maybe those are just for background sounds in cutscenes or something.

Only BIS or time will tell...

Edited by Rawr
Typo, typo, typo....

Originally Posted by Hungarian BIS Dev

We're going to have a new sound system, the audio is getting reworked. We're rebuilding it entirely

Finally! Some words about this subject.

At Last.. if its true and well done, will change the game immersion entirely. Good to know this.

Don't understand why BIS didn't mentioned before, it indeed needs to be improved.

Hope its true.

I would really like to get a clear answer on that from BIS. Other wise I already hear the People complaining at release.....