Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

And finally, there is no reason to blame BIS making stuff like we have in ACE2 or other mods. ACE2 is pretty big and have lot's of stuff example... in that case BIS cant make something that wasn't made already by mod makers. So IMO more stuff Vanilla game have, better.

This is a really good point that some people seem to miss - BI was good enough to provide us the ability to make pretty near any mod we like, and support us doing that, so of course the community has come out with a very large variety of mods. It's absurd in my opinion to then blame BIS when they make stuff that some mods have done.

And as you say, all this means is that the vanilla game is significantly improved, raising the baseline and making a better experience for everyone :)

I still don`t like 2 important things regarding the eotech:

(1.) On one hand everything in ArmA 2 glows (even cows ;) ), on the other hand things that should glow don`t, for example the eotech reticle (and muzzle flashes).

(2.) The reticle should be "projected", it works like a head up display. At the moment it looks like if it is carved into the glass plate.

1.) Turn off Post Process effects like a lot of people does including me :)

2.) I can easily live with how it's handled now.

I VERY rarely use weapons with eotech on in ArmA 2 due to it being very akward. The sight itself takes up too much space on screen and the reticle is too big which makes aiming at 50m+ really difficult/annoying.

In that new video it looks much more light and nice, it could be the video giving that impression but i cross my fingers it's not :)

This is a really good point that some people seem to miss - BI was good enough to provide us the ability to make pretty near any mod we like, and support us doing that, so of course the community has come out with a very large variety of mods. It's absurd in my opinion to then blame BIS when they make stuff that some mods have done.

And as you say, all this means is that the vanilla game is significantly improved, raising the baseline and making a better experience for everyone :)

Can't agree enough.

BIS is courageous enough to compete with passionate modders who are doing it for love rather than money. You can count the number of studios who are prepared to have such a level playing field on one person's fingers.

I'm sure there'll be various things about OA on release that could have been better. That's life. They've given us the opportunity and tools to make it into whatever we like.

p.s. glowing effect can simply be eliminated by making a texture gray instead of white. Darkening texture can eliminate the glow entirely.

it seems like some not realize that OA planning phase timeframe goes way beyond public appearance of ACE2 ...

thus such 'theories' are invalid by default ...

Great video but the Javelin is weak, i hope its because its preview version but with BIS its likely it will be released like that.

Its just as it was before with a new optic overlay (its a joke it wasn’t changed until now) and a delayed lock, why is the optic not viewed in IR? BIS has FLIR code so why not implement it.

Really hoping BIS would have totally dropped the magic lock on HUD and done everything through weapon optics.

Its still a lot better then it is now though.

Edited by ricbar89

Great video but the Javelin is weak, i hope its because its preview version but with BIS its likely it will be released like that.

Its just as it was before with a new optic overlay (its a joke it wasn’t changed until now) and a delayed lock, why is the optic not viewed in IR? BIS has FLIR code so why not implement it.

Really hoping BIS would have totally dropped the magic lock on HUD and done everything through weapon optics.

Its still a lot better then it is now though.

He fired that Javelin during day time , and you wanted FLIR during daytime :ok: .

I wonder whether the town generator module can be used on custom maps as well, and how much of the environment it takes into account.

For example, will it be able to have a customized list of houses to place? Will it work with ALICE/SILVIE? Will it take roads and railroads and other object into account (placing houses parallel to a road, for example).

Anyway, can't wait for Arrowhead to be released :)

EDIT: After having seen the latest footage of Splinter Cell Convictions, I would like to thank BIS for sticking to what their fans expect and not giving in to the creeping consolification of computer games. Thank you very much!

Edited by Alwarren

He fired that Javelin during day time , and you wanted FLIR during daytime :ok: .

I could be wrong but im pretty sure Javelins optics are viewed in FLIR, its part of the visual designation system they use.

Also what has time of day got to do with FLIR? When you see apache gun cam day or night its in FLIR for a reason, do they even have the ability to view through a naked optic?

EDIT: Actually they do have a day view but it seems its only used for scanning, when entering seeker mode its FLIR.

Edited by ricbar89

What DaSquade said...

Which branch of the US Forces uses the M32?

The one that uses SCARs.

It can't be completely accurate in terms of who uses what, people. It's a fictional future war in a country that doesn't exists. You got the weapons and it's really up to you who will use them. :rolleyes:

Will the procedurally generated landscape be barren in OA?

(2.) The reticle should be "projected", it works like a head up display. At the moment it looks like if it is carved into the glass plate.

We know, but the reality is that because of the engine limits all the possible ways is not working, the best result both developers and modders created all have 2 major problem cause by what we call "Alpha bug":(

Will the procedurally generated landscape be barren in OA?

Yes i think so. But you might be able to use the random house generator module out there to create a village though. But if it wasnt "clean" i think it would mean ending up with loading millions of objects wich would be very bad for performance - im guessing. ARMA2 has over a million objects and thanks to it in the current state of the engine overload our poor pc's they made less objects in OA. So im not sure how that would work, but thats a whole other topic. :)

It can't be completely accurate in terms of who uses what, people. It's a fictional future war in a country that doesn't exists. You got the weapons and it's really up to you who will use them. :rolleyes:

Agree. We have Russian troops using AK-107 in vanilla, so SCARs and M32's are rather unsuprising.

This makes me sad. The Carl Gustav is a recoilless rifle and as such it fires "Grenades"/"Projectiles" not "Missiles". It doesnt go woOOOOSh, smoke trail and then boom at the target. It goes BOOOOOOOM, no smoke trails to be seen and then boom at the target.

Pretty hefty rifle there :D

But I didn't see any smoke trails :confused:

I also gotta say the music is fab!

Pretty hefty rifle there :D

Well, it actually is a rifle. The ammunition has a propellant charge just like a real bullet, it's just bigger - and louder.. and if you are in the same foxhole as the guy shooting it, prepare to eat dirt ;)

I really hope you can't carry heavy weapons (Assault rifles and bigger) into stuff like an attack helicopter in OA, just seems unrealistic because you don't really have space for it and the max you would be able to carry inside it would be an SMG or a pistol.

I really hope you can't carry heavy weapons (Assault rifles and bigger) into stuff like an attack helicopter in OA, just seems unrealistic because you don't really have space for it and the max you would be able to carry inside it would be an SMG or a pistol.

Expanding on this, I hope there are no SMGs for fighter jet pilots. They do not carry them in reality and all they carry is a handgun, such as an M9.

Expanding on this, I hope there are no SMGs for fighter jet pilots. They do not carry them in reality and all they carry is a handgun, such as an M9.

Both good features, but I would leave them for ACE. I'm pretty sure BIS know what gear pilots carry, it's just a matter of gameplay balance.

Both good features, but I would leave them for ACE. I'm pretty sure BIS know what gear pilots carry, it's just a matter of gameplay balance.

Yeah, pilots not being able to carry heavy weapons in attack helos sounds like something BIS would expect to be prohibited script-wise. Otherwise, if they put it in the code, people will complain. It should really be mission or mod specific, not standard.

I just think it removes the mil-sim feel of it slightly.

When it's such a small feature I'd pack realism over unorganised 'fun'.

Am still worried about the new sound system, where the hell is it!!?

Where is it supposed to be? It's an integral part of the game, which hasn't been released yet.

i guess i have to dissapoint you...in one of the chech preview interviews they talked about a "whole new sound system", but it looks like they were talking about the improved radio chatter used by the AI. I cant figure that they will put new weapon and vehicle sounds in since we didnt see anything new in all the previews and video .