Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Id that Securom changes anything, I never noticed. :confused:

Well most people dont it does provide a small security risk though. Its been known to be a trojan back door.

Well most people dont it does provide a small security risk though. Its been known to be a trojan back door.

If thats true it has most likely been fixed ;)

I have been installing tons of games using Securom for years and NEVER had a single problem with it!

There are probably many other download vendors. Impulsedriven.com, I would guess, will have it - they have ArmaII now

Wonder whos distributing this to sweden? 505Games always did, but so close to release and not a word or mention on their site. Emailed them and no reply.

I better ask the shop and see if they know anything. Highly doubt it though.

First time I have looked at this forum in a loong time.

I think the only real majoy enhancement I would like to see, is whilse Arma 2 Graphically is supurb, I would Like to see improvements that make it feel less Rigid.

What I mean is that everything has a stiffness, an uncanny sense of rigidity that just doesnt feel realisic.

This is mainly in respect to the animations, movement and weapon handling. Arma 2 with realistic weapon handling and animations seems like a pipe-dream, maye in the next version of the engine eh?

Arma 2 with realistic weapon handling and animations seems like a pipe-dream, maye in the next version of the engine eh?

Like just about everybody I struggled with the movement at first but now I really like it and rate it as far more realistic than the gliding-on-rollerskates, spin-on-a-dime variety most shooters use. In some cases it would benefit from animations that were more readily interrupted but it should always retain inertia.

^^ Yeah, not gonna happen. Simple & fast movement FPS are everywhere though. However reviewers said IIRC that it is improved a bit clunkyness wise. Slightly better "flow", but this game is not about flowing like a head put on a stick moving on oily ground. :D

Holly... Just found new training video in gamestar.de

It's seems to be made from BIS like that UAV one, its 7.. almost 8 min long.

Have fun!

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=13861

Wow he has a good shot. He never really misses any targets.

Glad to see our old friend the Carl Gustav back.

Nice to see a brief tutorial showing some of the availible weapons.

2 remarks though:

- Afaik the Carl doesn't have any range finder....at least not by default (equiped with something like the STORM unit, then it makes sense but that isn't the case). So please BIS remove the range codes from the Carl. Imho even without range info the Carl should be pretty easy to operate anyway.

- The M32 could use the scope zeroing codes. The RL stock sight is user friendly and can by pressing on the two lips changed to adjust the angle of the sight. Without the possibility to adjust range, the scope is useless, knowing the grenades have a pretty long effective flight path (even the low velocity rounds). Not everybody plays with crosshairs on :) . But the video doesn't switch to scope view, but that makes me think they didn't add adjustable sights.

Personally i hope all 'scopes' can be adjusted in case their RL version has the option. Would be nice to have in the future a wind adjuster aswell (crosswind, but can also help for hitting long distance moving targets).

As we all know, everything done by default is always more userfriendly for MP (no addons needed).

What DaSquade said...

Which branch of the US Forces uses the M32?

Nice video :cool:

That eotech doesn't look as awkward as in ArmA 2... maybe it's just me :p

I thought that too, seems thinner, smaller, and less blocky. But could be imagining things :)

I do know I didn't hate it on sight which is definitely different from the A2 one :p

The music in the training video is good. I also think the Eotech looks better , more thiner .

Edited by Maio

From what I've seen, the new features of Arrowhead are just ones we already have in ACE 2 and other mods, ie Little Birds, FLIR, M32, Mando Missiles etc. They just copy what the community already made?

From what I've seen, the new features of Arrowhead are just ones we already have in ACE 2 and other mods, ie Little Birds, FLIR, M32, Mando Missiles etc. They just copy what the community already made?

You say Takistan is allready made by community ? :p

Um, you may have had a shred of credibility if you hadn't said "FLIR" and "Littlebirds". The OA FLIR bears no relation to any mod, it is properly done from the ground up. The Little Birds were a selling point of ArmA 1, mods didn't do them first.

No offense meant, but this statement is kind of redundant. Hard coded tools always work better than third party addons (which can bug out quite often, unless they receive as much care as the ACE features which already are quite polished by now.), plus, not everybody likes to have five billion terabytes of mods just to get working FLIR (which we do NOT have right now.) and functional AT missles.

Plus, the Littlebirds currently in ACE2 are, as far as I know, the models from Arma 1, so at least their basis is BIS to begin with.

The Rucksack system that will be hardcoded into Arrowhead will very likely be better too: the one in ACE2 has some serious drawbacks caused by engine limitations right now. The new default system would mean that it either could be enhanced and improved, or resources moved to entirely different areas in the relevant mods.

I don´t know why people keep complaining about these new features just because they were already present in a mod, which cranks up the realism scales to where it´s borderline fun breaking for most casual gamers. By that logic BIS shouldn´t have have made Arma to begin with, because features like leaning and a whole range of units had already been made as mods for Operation Flashpoint. No, thats "copying". I doubt they´re looking over what the community has made and copypasting everything they like just because it´s been demanded and works. Actually, that´s a pretty harsh accusation to make.

Just my two cents. Again, not intended to cause offense. I just don´t understand how one can make such a ruckus about hard coded solutions that will be available to everybody, and which will work across the board with a very low failure rate, if any at all.

Cheers

Insta

Well, both Ace2 and Arma 2 OA take inspiration from the same sources: real life armies and modern warfare. More exactly, both are focused in doing things not covered already by Arma 2. So of course there is some overlapping!

In other words, Bohemia is not copying Ace2, it's copying the real world.

any one else think in the latest vid there was hardly any recoil? on the scar or pistol.

tho they may have had it set load for video purposes.

Oh no you didn't :'( <- Massively sad face.

You remodelled the SMAW in to a Carl Gustav. I'm disappointed in you Bohimia.

To quote the video: "Take the MAAWS rocket launcher..." and "Take the MAAWS and at least 3 HEAT missiles."

And when its shot there is a rocket sound...

This makes me sad. The Carl Gustav is a recoilless rifle and as such it fires "Grenades"/"Projectiles" not "Missiles". It doesnt go woOOOOSh, smoke trail and then boom at the target. It goes BOOOOOOOM, no smoke trails to be seen and then boom at the target.

True there are rocket boosted HEAT rounds for it as well. But the rocket only ignites after it has flown for a while. And Bohimia, please add the airburst round for it (puppy eyes). Setting the range of detonation with the + and - keys (5-10m steps?)? And I'm not even going to say anything about the magic rangefinder.

Oh wait lets rip on that one as well. I would not mind it if you put a full fledged FCS(?) on the model (looking something like this: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Irish_army_carl_gustav_RR.jpg ). But with a regular passive optic, no please.

Also some terminology: Missile = Guided (Ex; Javelin, hellfire). Rocket = Not guided (Ex; SMAW, Hydra).

And it looks awesome btw.

Edited by Angle

I still don`t like 2 important things regarding the eotech:

(1.) On one hand everything in ArmA 2 glows (even cows ;) ), on the other hand things that should glow don`t, for example the eotech reticle (and muzzle flashes).

(2.) The reticle should be "projected", it works like a head up display. At the moment it looks like if it is carved into the glass plate.

Yes, we all know how reticle should look like ;) But I've heard that they had some graphical problems in A2 with it, so they dropped it. Dunno does BIS tried to make it again, but so far it will be only like it's graved into glass plate...

I would also like realistic ecotech sights and stuff but it's fine. Better than it makes graphical glitches :)

Btw video is great... I really love atmosphere and environment. Also SCAR is my favorite weapon for some reason and sound is awesome :P

I think its pretty good tutorial for new players. It's easy, cool and looks no bugs there (I mean scripting bugs).

And finally, there is no reason to blame BIS making stuff like we have in ACE2 or other mods. ACE2 is pretty big and have lot's of stuff example... in that case BIS cant make something that wasn't made already by mod makers. So IMO more stuff Vanilla game have, better.