Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

First all shout "stop messing with OA and finish ARMA2!", and then "we want updates on OA!".

Poor poor BIS. :D

BTW i want OA news as well.

Showing OA art and fixing the Arma 2 bugs are not mutually exclusive, these are separate teams, even more so since part of OA is outsourced...

Fully aware of that as i have said in numerous threads to people bitching about it. It was for fun. ;)

First all shout "stop messing with OA and finish ARMA2!", and then "we want updates on OA!".

Poor poor BIS. :D

BTW i want OA news as well.

Maybe people has noticed the beta forum :p

Maybe people has noticed the beta forum :p

I agree, programming team at BIS is doing stellar work on making the game run well and play well, AI improvements are great and the vehicle improvements are kick as$!

Honestly never thought that BIS working on the Expansion would mean less times working out bugs, because the people making the expansion are the people who are sitting around not doing anything, the programmers are hard at work with bugs and later working on the new code for the new features and engine improvments.

Btw, with US Army in OA I sure hope we get proper M4s! At the moment we're stuck with only having M4A1s, but since the Army uses M4s as standard rifle I hope we'll get 'em, maybe with vertical front grip :3

I was thinking today Modern warfare 2 looks alot better than Modern warfare 1, higher polycounts, very good textures/high resolution everywhere.

I was thinking it would be awesome if BIS added texture streaming to OA or improved it, so we could get higher quality textures and better optimization for foilage and large drawdistances.

Improved audio, needs to be crisp and clean, less sound compression.

HALO Jump/ Fast roping modules for editor.

even more so since part of OA is outsourced...

outsourced? Which part?

I was thinking today Modern warfare 2 looks alot better than Modern warfare 1, higher polycounts, very good textures/high resolution everywhere.

I was thinking it would be awesome if BIS added texture streaming to OA or improved it, so we could get higher quality textures and better optimization for foilage and large drawdistances.

I just smashed my modern warfare 2 copy into the toillet where it belongs to and buyd arma2 and ordered 5 copys for my Friends.

Your post is a Joke righ? I never saw such a beauty in motion. The 3D designers and texture Artist from BI know what they do. And Texture Streaming lol the whole f... a2 worlds gets streamd with millons of objects present as i never saw in any game. MW2 plycount and textures looks very very very bad compare to arma/arma2. Textures in A2 looks almost Photorealistic if you got the respective machine running that sexy Lady.

Just look what games are coming out in the past and future (everything is about selling making money, best example EA the goal is not to make a good games with a real story, its about how much games can we produce in the next year and the Series getting bader and bader RainbowSix/COD/Moh/ and so on......).

Thx you BI that you decided to go this way and making not the same fault like the "most" other companys on that earth. thank you thank you thank you!

Edited by Bimbo

the character models for modern warfare 2(all call of duty games,in fact) look disproportioned. one thing that is more obvious is the head size. they are larger than usual and makes the body and limbs look excessively small. also, they do not take into account the volume the pelvis makes up in human anatomy. it looks like the legs are connected directly to the abdomen in modern warfare 2.

so far, bis has done one thing right ever since arma, the bodies are proportionally and aesthetically appealing.

but texture-wise, mw2 definitely has the upper hand. this is due to the amount of objects contained in arma 2. it would be impossible to achieve mw2 quality in certain things like 2d art and animation, because both are processes which take a lot of resources.

the character models for modern warfare 2(all call of duty games,in fact) look disproportioned. one thing that is more obvious is the head size. they are larger than usual and makes the body and limbs look excessively small. also, they do not take into account the volume the pelvis makes up in human anatomy. it looks like the legs are connected directly to the abdomen in modern warfare 2.

To support this, also in games like MW2, etc. If you take a character and put him next to a tank, helicopter, car, plane, whatever he is huge compared to the vehicle.

To support this, also in games like MW2, etc. If you take a character and put him next to a tank, helicopter, car, plane, whatever he is huge compared to the vehicle.

Aren't the Proportions Off in Arma series too?

Hummvees and Helicopter always seems to huge to me in RL when i see one from very near, while in Arma so small.... dunno, is just my impression.... :rolleyes::D

In that case, the proportions are probably closer to realism. It's a weird thing in drawing and computer graphics that if you make the head realistically large, it looks funny. But, when you see people on TV, their heads look proper. It's odd. Typically, the 'idealized' human figure's head is 85-90% of the typical size of the human head.

I just smashed my modern warfare 2 copy into the toillet where it belongs
Why did you buy it? Every informer gamer knows EXACTLY what to expect when buying MW2 ... you action is as dumb as going into McDonalds and expecting a 4 course dinner.

I just smashed my modern warfare 2 copy into the toillet where it belongs to and buyd arma2 and ordered 5 copys for my Friends.

Your post is a Joke righ? I never saw such a beauty in motion. The 3D designers and texture Artist from BI know what they do. And Texture Streaming lol the whole f... a2 worlds gets streamd with millons of objects present as i never saw in any game. MW2 plycount and textures looks very very very bad compare to arma/arma2. Textures in A2 looks almost Photorealistic if you got the respective machine running that sexy Lady.

Just look what games are coming out in the past and future (everything is about selling making money, best example EA the goal is not to make a good games with a real story, its about how much games can we produce in the next year and the Series getting bader and bader RainbowSix/COD/Moh/ and so on......).

Thx you BI that you decided to go this way and making not the same fault like the "most" other companys on that earth. thank you thank you thank you!

I take you just discovered arma 2? :p

so far, bis has done one thing right ever since arma, the bodies are proportionally and aesthetically appealing.

but texture-wise, mw2 definitely has the upper hand. this is due to the amount of objects contained in arma 2. it would be impossible to achieve mw2 quality in certain things like 2d art and animation, because both are processes which take a lot of resources.

See i think MW2 doesn't have great textures, I mean they certainly aint bad but in A2 when they are on full whack they hold up to even super close up scrutiny (for me at least).

And for animation I think A2 doesn't do too bad a job, personally i think that when A2's motion capture works, it works very well and (maybe as DR proved) the more Standard FPS way of doing things isnt always the best...

As far as proportions go, I think Arma does a pretty good job and as Max Power said, its really hard to get proportions looking normal in a game, often making them unrealistic can make them appear more normal to the viewer.

Edited by STALKERGB

outsourced? Which part?

I'm interested in this too...

I wonder if any more has been put into how the AI will function indoors as this looks to have more built up urban areas. Hopefully, enterable buildings will have been built from the ground up with AI in mind such as window positions and house clearing (module?).

The 1 thing and I mean ONE thing that DR had that I liked was that the AI would sometimes open doors, enter the building and take position at windows facing the threat.

If OA had that, my life would be complete (sadly).

I wonder if any more has been put into how the AI will function indoors as this looks to have more built up urban areas. Hopefully, enterable buildings will have been built from the ground up with AI in mind such as window positions and house clearing (module?).

The 1 thing and I mean ONE thing that DR had that I liked was that the AI would sometimes open doors, enter the building and take position at windows facing the threat.

If OA had that, my life would be complete (sadly).

yeah I agree, that would be kick ass for breach and clear missions! :yay:

yeah I agree, that would be kick ass for breach and clear missions! :yay:

Actually yeah hadnt thought about that but if the AI can deal with buildings and built up areas better then I'll be happy :)

EDIT: Oh and I like the sound of this city generation module BIS have for OP:A, could be really interesting!

Edited by STALKERGB

Hummvees and Helicopter always seems to huge to me in RL when i see one from very near, while in Arma so small.... dunno, is just my impression.... :rolleyes::D

How tall are you? I think the standard they use in height for most games is six to eight feet, which is fine but they also use real measurements for things such as vehicles rather then researching the measurements and then comparing images of people standing near them and then upscaling the vehicle to match better.

Naturally the problem is no everyone is the same height but I doubt 6ft people would want to be in an already cramped vehicle.

Edited by NodUnit

Ugh, this one has been done to death too...

Vehicles are to the right scale, people are the right proportions, weapons are the right size, it is the field of view of trying to have a decent perhipheral vision which makes everything seem big/small.

Some days I'm sure you're bitching for the point of bitching... (and didnt you get banned for that once :j: )

outsourced? Which part?

I don't know exactly which part (probably art and mission design) but it's been said officially that the expansion was started around january 2009 at Black Element (who also did Queens Gambit and work on Carrier Command with BIS) while BIS team concentrated on finishing Arma2. The rest of the BIS crew joined forces during the summer.

Assuming Arrowhead will ship first quarter 2010 (let's say in march ?) It will have had more than a year of development, that's not bad for an expansion. You understand why they want to make it stand alone to recoup more or the cost.

On the other hand, I'm eager to see what they have been doing for so long, since a lot of the army stuff can probably be upgraded from Arma or VBS 2 (+1 new lod and texture).

I wonder if Takistan will have clutter and random content outside of the border, in the infinite land : grass and rock, but also some spare trees and maybe even a couple of houses and compounds... that would be nice...

Edited by EricM