Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

Armed Assault - development suggestions to BIS

-More effects when injured (like blackouts etc).

-Better ballistics (killing someone with an SVD with a single shot is actually possible, even when not hitting the head wink_o.gif ).

-Better optics.

-Multiple gunner positions

-Higher view distances with reasonable framerates.

-Weather that affects the terrain (maybe asking for a little too much, better save that thought for ''OFP2'' tounge_o.gif )

-More overall realism.

-More realism in missions (not every military operation involves the use of force, like recon).

Also, I remember someone asking about the price: '' Bohemia Interactive Studio is proud to announce the development of the first person combat game – ARMED ASSAULT.''

''Game'' (€35-45) would most likely mean that they intend to sell it as a standalone title, not as an expansion (€15-30), otherwise they would have specified that is was an expansion I suppose.

€35-45 man even Half Life2 was over €50

I am ready to pay €50-70 cause BIS is my favor game makers and I want to support them on their upcomming projects wink_o.gif

This is the best news I've heard in a long time.

One little picky suggestion - make it possible to have randomised projectile fly sounds (like you can for hit sounds).

For example, the following lines in JAM give an array of sounds that can be played when a bullet hits a building or tree (each given a decimal probability in the " hitArmor[]=" line):

soundHitArmor1[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\hit_metal1.wss",0.031623,1};

soundHitArmor2[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\hit_metal2.wss",0.031623,1};

soundHitArmor3[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\hit_metal3.wss",0.031623,1};

soundHitArmor4[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\hit_metal4.wss",0.031623,1};

soundHitArmor5[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\hit_metal5.wss",0.031623,1};

soundHitArmor6[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\hit_metal6.wss",0.031623,1};

soundHitArmor7[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\hit_metal7.wss",0.031623,1};

soundHitArmor8[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\hit_metal8.wss",0.031623,1};

Now, the same setup does not work for bullet sounds. The lines below would simply be ignored and no fly sounds would play:

soundFly1[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\fly1.wss",0.031623,1};

soundFly2[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\fly2.wss",0.031623,1};

soundFly3[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\fly3.wss",0.031623,1};

soundFly4[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\fly4.wss",0.031623,1};

soundFly5[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\fly5.wss",0.031623,1};

For fly sounds, the engine will only recognise entries in the following format, which doesn't allow for multiple sounds:

soundFly[]={"\JAM_Sounds\soundhit\fly3.wss",0.031623,1.4};

In JAM3 I was working up a separate set of fly sounds for Rifles, Light MGs, Medium/Heavy MGs, Pistols/SMGs and silenced Pistols/SMGs, so you'd hear 7.62 x 51 rounds ripping downrange while a .45 ACP would buzz past like an angry hornet. In 1.96, you can have still have different fly sounds for different bullet types, but only one sound per type.

The ability to play from a randomised array would give a bit more scope for subtlety in the differences.

Just a pet want from my inner geek  wink_o.gif

Cheers,

CH

looking on your press release it seems the AI tactical ability seems improved.

i hope so cause thats one of the BIG things other than graphical improvements.

more terrain detail/ integration...

oh and from an edting point og view weapon handling characterstics that arent tied just to the magazine.

and VSB level weapon handling

but my biggest want for AA is you release it soon. lol.

Let me know about event handlers in VBS1 cause I don't have any VBS1. Can VBS1 define event handlers not only in class CfgVehicles, but also in class CfgWeapons? wink_o.gif

If you add actions when a soldier fires a specific rifle, you have to define the event handler in class CfgVehicles, that is to say the soldier. But what will happen when a soldier of other class picks up the rifle and fires it? No, nothing happens because the soldier of other class has no event handler in its class CfgVehicles.

If Armed Assault can add event handlers in class CfgWeapons of the rifle, then you need not care about who picks it up and fires it. Any soldier and any people has actions when he or she fires the rifle. smile_o.gif

More scripting commands would be a really great idea for mission makers.

In the actual OFP you can tweak the space between units in formation to have more large engagements (and less "killed whole squad with a grenade" situation)

You can tweak aimprecision values to simulate not 100% stable weapons to your liking

You can modify the recoil to give more "kick" feeling to every shot fired like FDF did

You can tweak sensitivity and sensitivityear values to get the AI perform a very lot better in mostly all its actions and reactions

But all of this in the actual OFP can be achieved only by a modification of the main config.

I would really appreciate such values to be controlled by scripting commands, this way a mission maker would be able to tweak the AI, the weapon handling and more for his mission without having to force a player to use a modified config.bin.

My personal wish list:

-More control over the AI (scripting).

-Record function for cutscenes (optional in editor)

-Abiltity to walk in/on vehicles while moving

-Ability to shoot from vehicles

-Ability to set knowsAbout values through scripting

-Damaged/destroyed models instead of collapsing when vehicles/objects are destroyed.

-SWIMMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Modern physics (Deus Ex: IW, UT2004 style)

-on-rails option for vehicles in editor

-original scripting commands kept

-control over AI communication (i guess that would go with the knowsAbout control...)

-As much control over every game element as possible!!!

- IMPROVED CLIPPING and CQB!!

Well... I guess that's it.. for now. lol. All I can think of right now anyway.

Maybe specific ideas would be more helpful than endless "make thing x better" suggestions.

Two important things I havent seen mentioned:

1. I hope that since we have join in progress multiplayer this means that the creatunit command will have the added parameter of 'is this new unit is playable or not'. Furthermore, and I'm assuming join in progress makes this possible, players should be able to switch from unit to unit, so that when they die they can fight on as the guy next to them.

2. Animation lists instead of single animations. I mainly want to see random animations, so that the whole squad isnt running or walking in perfect similarity like they are in a theatre performance. Ideally animations should have a degree of variation built in that allows a unique animation to be selected for a unit that is spawned, but a simple list of multiple preset animations would be enough to make any group of men look much more realistic.

I think people have gotten so used to one part of OFP that they don't remember to complain about it anymore: Reload animations. You can't transfer bullet into the magazine by willpower you know. wink_o.gif An animation shouldn't be required, to be compatible with old addons, but it should be able to be defined, and separately for each weapon.

need good airbase's and aircraft carriers like nimitz and kuznetsov.

better planes - F/A-18 , F-14, A-10,F-15,F-16,AV-8B,A-6 and C-130 for west

SU-27,SU-33,SU-25,SU-22,MIG-29,MIG-27,MIG-21,yak-38 and IL-76 for east

The 2 main annoyancies I'd like changed are

1) The ability to reload and move. If I was reloading a gun and at that time was suddenly confronted by a soldier's gun, I would naturally want to stop what I was doing and move away from the line of his sight!

2) The best change in the graphics imo would be that what you see through the sights is what line of projectory the bullet has. ( Even if clearly targetting through the iron sight whilst prone on a grass bank, 6 inches of the top of the grass bank can often block the projectory). Also often seen is the sides of the building walls and rocks etc have often got the invisible exterior which blocks the path of the bullet even though you can still get shot through that area.

Really love to see these annoyancies sorted !

what i would like to be improved in Armed assault is the ability for the Ai to be played in close quarters battle...in buildings, in narrow streets...and how the ai reacts to the environment.

well a good example is the game Freedom Fighters(makers of hitman 2). The AI imediately takes cover behinds objects and return fire by leaning or by other animations. It would be cooool to implement that in OFP 2.

i'll definitely need to upgrade my damn old buddy to play OFP2.

A big thanks from my part to Bis for OFP and upcoming Armed assault

I'll echo the wish for the scripting commands introduced in VBS-1, at least the ones for creating/handling markers/triggers and waypoints.

Also, fixes for the many issues in handling AI squaddies in MP ("locality issues"). One example is losing the ability to order them to disembark from vehicles not local to your computer.

Quote[/b] ]2) The best change in the graphics imo would be that what you see through the sights is what line of projectory the bullet has. ( Even if clearly targetting through the iron sight whilst prone on a grass bank, 6 inches of the top of the grass bank can often block the projectory). Also often seen is the sides of the building walls and rocks etc have often got the invisible exterior which blocks the path of the bullet even though you can still get shot through that area.

That's actually quite realistic. What your seeing through the site isn't where the barrel is pointing exactly. The barrel on a gun is below the sight by about an inch or two depending on the gun.  Bullets do not fly from the gun sight in a laser straight line. The bullets come from the barrel below the sight and then converge with where the sight is aiming at the distance the sight is calibrated for.

That is why you are shooting the dirt even though you see your target clearly through the sight. get the barrel out of the dirt.

I actually love the way BIS modeled the guns. In all other games they are lasers taped to your screen. These actually jostle and move around as you walk, crawl, and sprint. when you fire they shoot from the barrel rather than to the cross hair like on other games. As an example sprint and fire full auto... depending on what animation pack your using the bullets all fly off in the direction the gun is pointing, not where your looking.

Everything i find in OFP is satisfactory apart from Urban warfare and using your units within, vehicle handling and the way units recognise and engage enemy...Thats it...possibly the perfect game?

i would like to see somethink similar to the "Mission Editing Competition" with Addons like an "Addon Making Competion" where all kind of addons like island, vehicle, units etc will be judged from ww2 to modern and even future style stuff and than released as AA-MOD's as a tribute to the highly gifted ofp addonmaker comunity. ( in other words, give placebo somethink to do wink_o.gif )

Track replay feature for AAR purpose.

It's in VBS1 please bring it to AA.

I want their to be 2 classes for APC's wheeled and tracked, with different handling characteristics but both have the ability to turn out, etc.

I also want thermal optics in the game.

New animations for troops as well, the current ones look very similiar to OFP, Ideally there would be like, half a dozen differnet anims per state, and each troop would randomly be assigned one.

Gosh, I only finded about this today wow_o.gif

A cuple of sugestions.

Multiple choice for optics, like different models of binoculars , monoculars, spoting scopes, etc, with different magnifications and reticles, like a 10x magnification with a range finding reticle like the one below

binoreticules2lv.gif

I think that should be part of a tank comanders equipment.

The same thing for night vission devices, and the possibility to have a difference between night vission devices from generation 1,2 and 3, so a generation 1 night vission googles would be mostly seen on a poorly equiped army and a generation 3 on a modern and wealthy equiped one.

A unit operating a night vission device should be detectable by another unit using a similar device because of the infrarred iluminators that the NV uses are vissible to any infrarred device.

Allso, if is possible to do all the above, a distress beacon that is only vissible throught NV should allso be available to signal an LZ or a target during the night only to those wearing NV devices.

All of the other stuff I would like to see, have been mentioned allready.

Regards.

@CERO.

EDIT. Of course, using all of this in an armored vehicle on "Turn Out" and in other vehicles without the need to get of the vehicle would be extremally cool.

Something I would really like to see in the editor is the ability to record movements.

I was thinking about it a lot today while flying a Cobra around Kolgugev. The AI just doesn't move like a human would and it would take a hell of a lot of coding and system resources to make them do so.

So.. I would like to be able to load up the editor (maybe a seperate movement record window). Place a single unit on the map, then run previw, hit a record button... It would record the movements of the unit and have options to record other things, such as weapons fired, actions used etc.

Then you get a text file which you can edit by hand.. When you record you set the record detail level which would say the amount of waypoints to add to the text file... k i'm sounding confused here.. let's expand on the idea.

When you run the record mode it will record the position of the unit at specified time distances, 5 seconds, 2 seconds, 1 second, 0.5 second depending on how close you want the movement to be to how you were moving. I suppose lower time distances would increase lag.

Then you should be able to paste multiple unit movements into the editor.. you could if you want plan the movements of every unit on the map, or just a single unit.

This would be VERY useful for both cutscenes and scripted scenes in game. I dunno if I made myself very clear when expalining this, so if not someone tell me and I'll try to explain a bit more... that is.. if anyone thinks it's a good idea.

OK, here's a request I'd like to see: a coop campaign, or at least the ability to create your own coop campaigns. wink_o.gif

- Possibility of moving in a truck, a boat or a airplane and shooting with a weapon.

- Possibility to transport a vehicle in another vehicle, plane, boat, train...

- Possibility of jumping a barrier and to climb on a wall.

- Possibility to swim.

- Possibility to carry a bag to back.

- Possibility to carry a body on the back.

- Possibility to change clothes for infiltration, as when one takes a weapon on a dead soldier.

- Possibility to pose differents traps.

- Possibility to climb with a cord or to go down.

- Possibility to use a mortar, a crossbow, a knife, bayonets and no-lethal weapon.

- Possibility to open and close barriers and windows.

- Possibility to enter each building and to insert the door.

- Possibility to dig a hole in the ground.

- Possibility to tow a vehicle, canon, etc.

- Possibility to neutralize a guard without noise.

- Possibility to stick an explosive load on a boat, etc.

- Possibility to make prisoners.

- Possibility to draw since an armoured tank with wheels.

- Possibility to be able to put a beret, a cap or a helmet following the moment.

- To have faces customisables with each profiles like VBS1.

- Rate of travel variable according to transported weight's for the soldiers.

- Possibility to feel the hunger, tiredness and the fear.

- Possibility to carry objects, like cases, stretchers, etc.

- Possibility to have ranks to the Generals.

- Possibility to order several groups of 12 men.

- Possibility to use a multifunction camera when were are died in MP .

- Damage located on the vehicles (panes, headlights).

- Presence of tunnels and caves on island.

- Vehicle with wheels which can draw from the missiles

- Specific recharging according to each weapon

- Possibility to use the externes machine-guns  on the tanks.

- Better pathfinding in urban zone.

Sorry for my bad English expression.

00000574.gifThanks BIS to exist!00000573.gif

We await the continuation of OFP              

00000576.gif

BIS, please, please give us an upto date version of O2 or its equivalent. Or, at least release an uncrippled version of O2 with anims, export to 3DS, and the other goodies enabled.

I'm sure people would be more than happy to sign an NDA to get it if you have any legal worries on this.

Take the time to polish any in house tools that would benefit the community and get them released - I'm sure there're a lot of things you have which would really help us out.

That's all I want ;)